HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted May 16, 2023, 4:05 AM
Sarcstic Caper in Exile

I saw this pop up in the IG story for Cape Breton Post, and thought I should get on here right away. Glad to see others are watching for things in Sydney, as Taeolas beat me to it.

I don't remember when the last tower crane was used. I was hoping they'd use one for the Membertou Hotel, and the NSCC site was a large enough project for one, but both used mobile cranes.

Here's the Post's story with some colour.

Crane installed for Cape Breton Regional Hospital project

For the next two years, two tower cranes will become familiar objects on the landscape as a major redevelopment project continues at the Cape Breton Regional Hospital. The cranes, one 220-ft- high (pictured) and the other 140-ft-high, were shipped on 26 truckloads from Montreal to Sydney. The cranes will be used to assist with the construction of the new clinical services building.

Old Posted May 16, 2023, 12:20 PM

My cousin is a PR coordinator for construction in the CBRM, so my Facebook feed often has updates on projects going on in the CBRM. This one jumped out at me, hence why I shared with the boards.

Old Posted May 16, 2023, 1:24 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
My cousin is a PR coordinator for construction in the CBRM, so my Facebook feed often has updates on projects going on in the CBRM. This one jumped out at me, hence why I shared with the boards.
Smevo lives in Calgary (I believe) and probably could use some help. Maybe you could become his surrogate regarding Sydney and CBRM developments.

Old Posted May 26, 2023, 3:35 AM
Sarcstic Caper in Exile

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Smevo lives in Calgary (I believe) and probably could use some help. Maybe you could become his surrogate regarding Sydney and CBRM developments.
You are correct, I've been in Calgary for 15 years now :shudder:

I would love help from anyone keeping up with developments in Sydney. Between work and the family, I barely have a few minutes twice a week to get on here.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2023, 4:51 AM

See the news release below with information concerning the rail line to Sydney, NS and a potential container port in Sydney to be owned by Novaporte.

CN Announces Nova Scotia Partnership with Genesee & Wyoming

MONTREAL, Nov. 01, 2023 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- CN (TSX: CNR) (NYSE: CNI) today announced that it acquired from Genesee & Wyoming Inc., a stake in the Cape Breton & Central Nova Scotia Railway that includes 145 miles of active track.

“We are proud to be partnering with Genesee & Wyoming to serve existing customers on this line. This partnership will further reinforce CN’s presence in eastern Canada where we believe there will be a growing role to play in the competitiveness of North American trade. It will also enable our network to reach new opportunities in the longer-term, further advancing our strategic agenda of accelerating profitable, sustainable growth.”

Patrick Lortie, Senior Vice-President and Chief Strategy Officer at CN
The CBNS railway, which interchanges with CN’s mainline at Truro, Nova Scotia, will continue to be operated by a Genesee & Wyoming Inc. subsidiary. This will ensure a seamless, safe, and efficient continuation of service for customers.

novaporte.ca/rail
Connecting global markets to North America by rail
Novaporte LP

An ondock rail yard able to process two 14,000-foot trains
With 33,500 feet of track inside the container terminal, Novaporte's ondock railyard will seamlessly transfer millions of containers and tonnes of cargo between the port, its marine terminal, logistics park, and rail service.
Moving goods faster and more reliably to North America's largest regional markets
Novaporte is directly connected to Canadian National Railway’s North American network via the CBNS shortline. With shorter distances and an uncongested east coast rail network, cargo can move between Novaporte and Montreal, Toronto, and Chicago in half the time and with fewer delays than west coast ports.

Reconnecting Cape Breton and Newfoundland to North America by rail.
Novaporte’s infrastructure development project includes upgrading the entire CBNS short line railway to allow for double-stack containers to travel at a speed of 40 miles per hour. The CBNS short line runs between Sydney and Truro, Nova Scotia and is owned and maintained by Genesee and Wyoming.
Currently non-operational between Sydney and Port Hawkesbury, the CBNS railway rehabilitation and upgrade will be completed with a $103 million dollar investment, and within two years of commencing work.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2023, 1:31 PM
New Brunswick booster!

So, what are these buildings going up around the hospital?
Edit: Did my own research and fou d the answers haha

Edit: photo via Twitter.

Last edited by KnoxfordGuy; Nov 27, 2023 at 1:45 PM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces