HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Arthaus in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 4:14 PM
Philly Rising Up!

^
I agree with you it can be done and should be done...maybe worth another try now to get some beautification done.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2020, 9:46 PM

This one is really sharp up close, the white trim, fins, even the balconies, overall Arthaus looks a lot more like the newer luxury high-rises I've seen in Toronto and Miami than the usual Philly mediocrity.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2020, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
^
I remember someone asked Levy? about beautifying the center median between City Hall on Broad to the median down to the South Street intersection and the response was that emergency response and law enforcement vehicles need to be able to make u-turn so it can't be beautify. I can see that being a valid reason.
The primary reason CCD likely isnt doing anything about this is because they didn't fund the original improvements. As with many bright ideas, there was no plan for how to maintain or replace the AOA improvements made 25+ years ago on SOuth Broad. These initiatives are funded and then there are ribbon cuttings but often there is no plan for funding long term maintenance. A lot of the hardscaping down there is in rough shape as are many of the decorative street lamps. It is time for a major multi-million $ refresh of those 90s era improvements

Old Posted Oct 4, 2020, 3:30 PM

Snapped this picture from Pine and 13th. This building is really going to have a visual impact from Washington Square West.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2020, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardeza View Post
The primary reason CCD likely isnt doing anything about this is because they didn't fund the original improvements. As with many bright ideas, there was no plan for how to maintain or replace the AOA improvements made 25+ years ago on SOuth Broad. These initiatives are funded and then there are ribbon cuttings but often there is no plan for funding long term maintenance. A lot of the hardscaping down there is in rough shape as are many of the decorative street lamps. It is time for a major multi-million $ refresh of those 90s era improvements
Avenue of the Arts organization is looking to do something. I'm not thrilled where their plan, though. Not even greenery and flowers too much (bad) art. They want to do it that way probably for funding reasons. They want different art organizations to foot a lot of the bill in return for showcasing their work.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2020, 12:07 PM

Saturday:

Sunday:

Old Posted Oct 5, 2020, 3:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardeza View Post
As I'm sure you know, it's much easier to fund raise for capital projects, like new planters with trees and fancy watering systems, but much hard to find money for ongoing upkeep, like someone to turn on the fancy watering systems. City Council should have weekly work days, work like get your hands dirty type work.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2020, 10:51 PM

26th floor was poured today

Old Posted Oct 8, 2020, 2:36 PM

Old Posted Oct 9, 2020, 1:33 AM

The Arthuas is really going to anchor the right end of this view.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CGGQN14pW5x/

Old Posted Oct 9, 2020, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GtownFriend View Post
The Arthuas is really going to anchor the right end of this view.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CGGQN14pW5x/
that is the coolest picture, looks like the lantern on the CTC is floating above the skyline

Old Posted Oct 10, 2020, 4:24 AM

Tower crane sections are on site for the final crane jump

Old Posted Oct 10, 2020, 3:37 PM

TK, thanks for all of your posts, they are much appreciated.
Since you live in NJ, have you seen Arthouse from the iconic view at the Cooper River bridge on Cuthbert Blvd in Cherry Hill? It has a really dramatic effect on the overall width of the skyline.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2020, 4:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookin' Up View Post
TK, thanks for all of your posts, they are much appreciated.
Since you live in NJ, have you seen Arthouse from the iconic view at the Cooper River bridge on Cuthbert Blvd in Cherry Hill? It has a really dramatic effect on the overall width of the skyline.
I actually just moved to PA. But Arthaus is just under 400 feet right now, it should be blocking mostly the north side of the Drake from Cuthbert Blvd bridge. That's a spot I gotta visit too

Old Posted Oct 11, 2020, 12:43 PM

Crane jump currently underway.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2020, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK2001 View Post
Tower crane sections are on site for the final crane jump
The crane will be jumped another time after this current jump we just did.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2020, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironhead401 View Post
The crane will be jumped another time after this current jump we just did.
Got it, I just remember the Arthaus page saying the crane will be jumped 4 or 5 times. Thanks for letting us know!

Old Posted Oct 13, 2020, 2:17 AM
Philly Pholly

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
^
I remember someone asked Levy? about beautifying the center median between City Hall on Broad to the median down to the South Street intersection and the response was that emergency response and law enforcement vehicles need to be able to make u-turn so it can't be beautify. I can see that being a valid reason.
It's this backward thinking that keeps the city from moving forward. This is most likely the most famous vista in the city.
UTURNS! This is just lazy thinking. Emergency and law enforcement vehicles can just as easily go to the intersection like they have to do on every single other street in the city. Just because they're used to doing doesn't mean it can't be changed.
THIS IS AN EYESORE! Philly just is so stuck in
LAZY THINKING!
This city should do everything to boost tourism and Broad Street would be a major attraction.
MY GOD DOESN'T ANYBODY RUNNING THIS TOWN HAVE THE SLIGHTEST BIT OF IMAGINATION?
They spend their power on making excuses on why NOT to do something instead of fighting to get something done.
It's JUST LAZINESS!
It's the most obvious thing to do.
PLANT THE DAMNED MEDIAN! GEESUS!
UTURNS!
Fucking ridiculous.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2020, 3:50 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEFTA View Post
It's this backward thinking that keeps the city from moving forward. This is most likely the most famous vista in the city.
UTURNS! This is just lazy thinking. Emergency and law enforcement vehicles can just as easily go to the intersection like they have to do on every single other street in the city. Just because they're used to doing doesn't mean it can't be changed.
THIS IS AN EYESORE! Philly just is so stuck in
LAZY THINKING!
This city should do everything to boost tourism and Broad Street would be a major attraction.
MY GOD DOESN'T ANYBODY RUNNING THIS TOWN HAVE THE SLIGHTEST BIT OF IMAGINATION?
They spend their power on making excuses on why NOT to do something instead of fighting to get something done.
It's JUST LAZINESS!
It's the most obvious thing to do.
PLANT THE DAMNED MEDIAN! GEESUS!
UTURNS!
Fucking ridiculous.
Agreed. If it can work on Park Avenue in New York, Michigan Avenue in Chicago, then it can certainly work in on Broad Street in Philadelphia.

Only in Philadelphia do we hear ridiculous excuses like the one you mentioned...

I wish a rich person (or company) would donate a chunk of money to fund a project like this instead of forking over another $20+M to Penn or Drexel... There's just no momentum to beautify the city streets, a shame.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2020, 5:38 PM

JFK has a raised median from 20th to 30th street station. Yes JFK is less traveled and it's not landscaped, but it just shows that it's a ridiculous excuse.
Beautification goes a long way. More brick sidewalks/crosswalks, planters, wrought iron tree planters etc. Chicago's Michigan Ave should be the blueprint.

Here's an article on their transformation: https://www.asla.org/2016awards/172705.html

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive