HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 25, 2021, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armorand93 View Post
Maybe a construction and home renovation district? Considering Stellas constantly catching fire with WPS/WFPS having no idea as to why, the constant apartment & house fires, along with the deteriorating housing stock in old parts of Winnipeg... a flooring, construction, home reno & fire alarms/fire safety district might actually do alot of good down Sherbrooke & Maryland. The local businesses would sure appreciate the high-rollers, safety guys and salesmen dropping stacks at Foodfare & other places, and just think of the trickle-down effect on the pawn shops!
I’ll take some of what this guy’s smoking

Old Posted Jan 25, 2021, 11:47 PM

yeah, something definitely happened to this guy to make him have a complex against a WHOLE city. i thank those who quoted him as i have him blocked and would have never seen what he wrote otherwise. whatever happens to the building, the huge nygard sign can't come down soon enough!

Old Posted Jan 26, 2021, 4:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
yeah, something definitely happened to this guy to make him have a complex against a WHOLE city. i thank those who quoted him as i have him blocked and would have never seen what he wrote otherwise. whatever happens to the building, the huge nygard sign can't come down soon enough!
Amen there brother

Old Posted Jan 26, 2021, 2:39 PM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
Winnipeg: See Nothing, Hear Nothing, Say Nothing!

Theres one of the main problems Winnipeg has - we all see it, we all hear these problems for decades, and nobody ever says anything about it, let alone doing anything about it to begin with... the last post, which you refuse to read because "triggered", was a joke, but it did have some basis in reality, since a) the older housing stock in Winnipeg is suffering pretty bad, b) Stellas is a questionable company - to say the least - which potentialy burned down their own store for insurance money & to pay off potential "problem" employees that wanted to unionize & seek an end to their neglected treatment, and c) because everyones screaming about commercial and residential development in the West End, but theres not one single word about high-tech industry, safety training companies to help re-train/re-skill workers outside of RRC and other places, beginner start-ups or anything else that could be built in the area to attract investment & money, let alone more permanent, for-life residents that won't run out to the suburbs...

Its not a complex on all of Winnipeg, but when WPS can't look into real crimes (burning down a store and blaming it on an "air conditioner" for insurance $$$ with questionable management running the day-to-day, is a pretty big red flag for fraud), when apartments keep getting burned down by junkies & when Nygards name is plastered on one of Winnipegs notable street corners in neon almost as if he's mocking the entirety of Winnipeg driving out of downtown at rush hour, then clearly theres a problem with the city & internal perception of it, especially if mentioning Winnipeg in Calgary rapidly turns into storytime of how shitty Winnipeg has become over the decades of deindustrialization, loss of jobs, the ongoing witch-hunts and blacklisting of Aboriginals from virtually all workplaces within the city (ever wonder why theres so few of us employed...?), and the lack of investment into our own city... The sooner people stop brushing things underneath the rug, supporting crooked businesses & kissing elite satanic asses, the better Winnipeg will become for the future generations. 110%. And someones gotta have this conversation, because the status quo just isn't cutting it.

PS: skyscrapers are nice, but when the NIMBYs won't allow any near Polo Park, when investors won't drop a dime anywhere outside of suburbia, no jobs, with welfare circles in maximum overdrive, and when the West End is being hollowed out and being described as "being better if we all levelled it and turned it into a huge parking lot!!!" by long-term Winnipeg residents I've grown up with and known for 20+ years... those "construction man-hours" and hospitality jobs might put food on the table, but its a band-aid solution that does nothing for the plight of the poorest Winnipeggers looking to get out of poverty & have a job that lasts with benefits included, and a chance to move up in life. Actual investment into the West End/West Broadway area is needed. And hopefully, Nygard fucking off from that intersection will open it up to be bulldozed, rebuilt to benefit the community, and to start attracting alot investment into the area, than that billionaire ever did for it.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2021, 3:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armorand93 View Post
Winnipeg: See Nothing, Hear Nothing, Say Nothing!

Its not a complex on all of Winnipeg, but when WPS can't look into real crimes (burning down a store and blaming it on an "air conditioner" for insurance $$$ with questionable management running the day-to-day, is a pretty big red flag for fraud), when apartments keep getting burned down by junkies & when Nygards name is plastered on one of Winnipegs notable street corners in neon almost as if he's mocking the entirety of Winnipeg driving out of downtown at rush hour, then clearly theres a problem with the city & internal perception of it, especially if mentioning Winnipeg in Calgary rapidly turns into storytime of how shitty Winnipeg has become over the decades of deindustrialization, loss of jobs, the ongoing witch-hunts and blacklisting of Aboriginals from virtually all workplaces within the city (ever wonder why theres so few of us employed...?), and the lack of investment into our own city... The sooner people stop brushing things underneath the rug, supporting crooked businesses & kissing elite satanic asses, the better Winnipeg will become for the future generations. 110%. And someones gotta have this conversation, because the status quo just isn't cutting it.
I think the West End and West Broadway has been attracting a decent bit of investment. Furthermore, anecdotally, the area seems to be getting wealthier - I'm judging this mainly by what people are wearing, the number of houses being renovated (at least 3 on my block), and the cars on the street. I think the wealth of Wolseley is starting to seep into West Broadway, and there are some projects taking place to account for that (the Commons on Broadway, the Good St project u/c, the Sherbrook Flats, and a few proposals on Sherbrook). Plus the type of businesses that occupy Sherbrook Street.

I think your comment about Calgary speaks more to the attitude in Alberta. My friends in Toronto and Montreal say that those cities don't have those kinds of bad attitudes towards Winnipeg that you're describing. I'll also point out that Winnipeg is quite a bit more liberal and left than the Alberta cities, actually probably a lot. I could see people out East viewing Winnipeggers as bible clutching conservative rednecks (like I said, for the most part they don't), but to try and do that from Calgary, Alberta is a bit much lol.

I think the only thing I can agree with is that racism towards indigenous peoples needs to be addressed in Winnipeg (especially on an institutional level - WPS, CFS...). Having Canada's largest urban indigenous population, it's my hope that the city becomes a hub for reconciliation, and indigenous entrepreneurship, art, music, culture and talent (the Quamajuq is nice to see). I hope that we're able to help our struggling indigenous population, but I also hope that indigenous culture continues to take up a more and more significant part of Winnipeg's cultural scene.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2021, 3:29 PM

I agree in terms of Western Canada, Manitoba has a lot more in common socially/politically with BC than Alberta. AB and SK go hand in hand – MB is a bit different.

I've said it here before too but I've always been surprised and disappointed that considering our Indigenous roots and population in Winnipeg, we don't see more Indigenous design all over. Compared to BC where you just think of the province and picture totem poles and Indigenous designs, it's everywhere.

The comparison of Canucks and Jets logos seems to sum it up perfectly lol.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2021, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyGarden View Post

I think the only thing I can agree with is that racism towards indigenous peoples needs to be addressed in Winnipeg (especially on an institutional level - WPS, CFS...). Having Canada's largest urban indigenous population, it's my hope that the city becomes a hub for reconciliation, and indigenous entrepreneurship, art, music, culture and talent (the Quamajuq is nice to see). I hope that we're able to help our struggling indigenous population, but I also hope that indigenous culture continues to take up a more and more significant part of Winnipeg's cultural scene.
I would suggest that racism IS being addressed in the city. While not "eliminated" by a long shot (and since hatred is so much a part of some people's lives it may never be), there have been many institutional efforts to recognize the place Indigenous people and culture have in the city. You've mentioned Quamajug, the major sports teams and cultural institutions all consistently credit the fact they are performing on Treaty 1 Territory/homeland of the Metis people. The development (and future re-naming) of the old Kapayong (sp?) Barracks site will go a long way to providing a much needed economic boost to many Indigenous communities. Indigenous people are being less considered "squatters in their own land" as they are partners in building the community. YES, there is still a long way to go, but IMO the important first steps have been taken.

It just won't be recognized by MacLean's magazine.

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted Jan 26, 2021, 9:50 PM

Yup, the Canucks sure did a good job 'appropriating' that logo. Winnipeg may have its issues, but let's face it, shitting on the 'peg is practically a national pastime. Expats are the worst, I swear they do it to fit in. Amorand should worry about all the crap they're burying their heads about in Calgary. Trust me, it's plenty....

Old Posted Jan 27, 2021, 2:21 PM

What I find interesting about West Broadway is that is is 91.6% renters as of 2016 census. I haven't checked but this might be one of the highest renter areas in the city.

I think a lot of area residents are apprehensive about new development for this reason. They feel more precarious than owners do. More exposed to having their cost of living change, more at risk for being told their lease isn't being renewed.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2021, 4:41 PM

The Nygard thing is somewhat odd. It (the company) was a significant local employer so promoting themselves with names on buildings, advertising, etc made sense.

The hidden undertone that is starting to come to light though is with the person's name and more recently picture everywhere it sends a message to his victims about the power imbalance and works to quietly pressure them into staying silent.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 5:41 PM
BANNED

there is an updated rendering for 216/218 Sherbrook from 701 architecture

Source 701 Architecture

Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 5:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyGarden View Post
I think the West End and West Broadway has been attracting a decent bit of investment. Furthermore, anecdotally, the area seems to be getting wealthier - I'm judging this mainly by what people are wearing, the number of houses being renovated (at least 3 on my block), and the cars on the street. I think the wealth of Wolseley is starting to seep into West Broadway, and there are some projects taking place to account for that (the Commons on Broadway, the Good St project u/c, the Sherbrook Flats, and a few proposals on Sherbrook). Plus the type of businesses that occupy Sherbrook Street.

I think your comment about Calgary speaks more to the attitude in Alberta. My friends in Toronto and Montreal say that those cities don't have those kinds of bad attitudes towards Winnipeg that you're describing. I'll also point out that Winnipeg is quite a bit more liberal and left than the Alberta cities, actually probably a lot. I could see people out East viewing Winnipeggers as bible clutching conservative rednecks (like I said, for the most part they don't), but to try and do that from Calgary, Alberta is a bit much lol.

See my comment in the construction thread regarding people from Calgary - spoke too soon!

Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 6:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyeyed View Post
there is an updated rendering for 216/218 Sherbrook from 701 architecture
Very nice. A small project but one that will improve the streetscape.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 7:08 PM
surely you agree with me

That sherbrook proposal is taking down the neighbouring building now too...that's great....

more here. I love it.

https://www.701architecture.ca/sherbrook

That will be two new projects like that within a block of each other. Too bad Stella's got cancelled.

Last edited by trueviking; Apr 13, 2021 at 7:57 PM.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
That sherbrook proposal is taking down the neighbouring building now too...that's great....

more here. I love it.

That will be two new projects like that within a block of each other. Too bad Stella's got cancelled.
Awesome, so glad the old Melting Pot building will go under, another derelict shamble gone and replaced with more density.

Now if that single-storey commercial building across from Total Flooring would just get sold and ripped down, we’d be on our way to connecting Sherbrook to Portage!

Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 10:06 PM

That is a wonderful design, will fit in perfect. How about a few dozen more please.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2021, 2:55 AM

Looks fantastic, I love that they activated the side along the alley with a CRU and outdoor space. Need to see more of that here rather than blank walls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post

more here. I love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinCitySparky View Post
Awesome, so glad the old Melting Pot building will go under, another derelict shamble gone and replaced with more density.

Now if that single-storey commercial building across from Total Flooring would just get sold and ripped down, we’d be on our way to connecting Sherbrook to Portage!
Too bad Total Flooring is Total Flooring. Wish a developer got a hold of the site.

Old Posted May 5, 2021, 9:58 PM

Not sure if it's been mentioned here or in the general Winnipeg thread, but it looks like a tower crane base is in for the Misericordia senior living tower.

Old Posted May 8, 2021, 5:30 PM

Didn't have a chance to snap a pic but crane is being installed today

Old Posted May 10, 2021, 1:29 PM
What could go wrong?

It's a big crane. You can see it from Portage. Cool to see lots of tower cranes around town.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan