HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

111 West 57th Street in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Aug 26, 2018, 7:37 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerton View Post
Did anyone else notice the Hudson Yards model?

Those are models for 360 10th Ave. We discussed it in that thread.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2018, 12:52 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropdeaded209 View Post
kinda funny how the pinstripe picks up the GM tower to the east--also some serious WTC yamasaki vibes at times...
Agreed. I believe the WTC vibes are intentional. It’s a very good look for NYC.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2018, 5:16 PM
Ω

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Those are models for 360 10th Ave. We discussed it in that thread.
Thanks, I'll check it out.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2018, 5:25 PM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2018, 5:56 PM

In that photo, the tower looks like some sort of crazy concept like a space elevator.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2018, 1:37 AM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Aug 29, 2018, 1:17 AM

So this is going to be an unpopular opinion but, in person, this thing is way too skinny for its height. The proportions already look “off”, and it’s got what, 500ft to go?
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Aug 29, 2018, 2:06 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
So this is going to be an unpopular opinion but, in person, this thing is way too skinny for its height. The proportions already look “off”, and it’s got what, 500ft to go?
That's always been one of the things about this building - it's ultra thin. And it is a thing to behold, even at the current height. When complete, it'll be like a giant knife, or dagger into the sky.
It's unlike anything else. And for good measure, it's a beautiful building.

AUGUST 28, 2018

Old Posted Aug 29, 2018, 3:10 AM

Quote:

Hell, state however you feel, no need to fear giving an unpopular opinion.

Now in this case, you'd be undeniably and unequivocally wrong, but you'll come to see that someday. The facade will be complete. The crane gone. You'll be walking up Sixth Ave and this impossible stack of futuristic mansions will appear like a waterfall in some magical hidden valley. Oh yes, it'll happen. And--in what will become a regular sight in the ten blocks that surround this tower--you'll stop walking, you're neck will arch backwards, and the muscles holding your jaw closed will relax unconsciously. And then you'll see it. The mind-twisting engineering. The audacity and optimism of it. The utter beauty of all that bronze and glass and terra cotta. And you'll shake your head and start to laugh...

I can already see it in my head so I don't get to have that moment. I'm jealous of you.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2018, 3:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pico44 View Post
Hell, state however you feel, no need to fear giving an unpopular opinion.

Now in this case, you'd be undeniably and unequivocally wrong, but you'll come to see that someday. The facade will be complete. The crane gone. You'll be walking up Sixth Ave and this impossible stack of futuristic mansions will appear like a waterfall in some magical hidden valley. Oh yes, it'll happen. And--in what will become a regular sight in the ten blocks that surround this tower--you'll stop walking, you're neck will arch backwards, and the muscles holding your jaw closed will relax unconsciously. And then you'll see it. The mind-twisting engineering. The audacity and optimism of it. The utter beauty of all that bronze and glass and terra cotta. And you'll shake your head and start to laugh...

I can already see it in my head so I don't get to have that moment. I'm jealous of you.

I tend to agree with the op. The massing is all wrong. Way too skinny for the height. Just doesn’t work. Although the bronze and terracotta are stunning this tower is way to skinny. Very awkward looking.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2018, 10:01 AM

I get that the point is that it’s skinny. But seeing it when I was in town last week, and knowing that it has a lot higher to climb (unlike my companions, who already thought it was a weirdly skinny building), it just seems awkward. Like the only point of the design is to demonstrate just how tall and skinny a building can be made. It’s a demonstration of engineering prowess, but not a well-proportioned piece of architecture.

432 Park was about the limit in terms of “tall and skinny plain column”. This is kind of goofy, especially viewed from the park.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Aug 29, 2018, 12:11 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
I get that the point is that it’s skinny. But seeing it when I was in town last week, and knowing that it has a lot higher to climb (unlike my companions, who already thought it was a weirdly skinny building), it just seems awkward. Like the only point of the design is to demonstrate just how tall and skinny a building can be made. It’s a demonstration of engineering prowess, but not a well-proportioned piece of architecture.

432 Park was about the limit in terms of “tall and skinny plain column”. This is kind of goofy, especially viewed from the park.
432 Park is what it was. You didn't need to see it complete. However, this tower is still under construction, so you can't even see the proportions, especially where part of it is clad, and part of it isn't.

You're not used to seeing such a structure, and your mind is probably telling you it shouldn't be. But as you pointed out, engineering and technology are proving that it can. Let it get built, and then your criticisms can be fleshed out.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2018, 12:19 PM

This will look less out-of-place when there are a half dozen vaguely similar towers along Billionaire's Row. You can see it with 432 Park, which used to look ungainly and now looks more "normal" with the advancing towers to the west.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2018, 2:08 PM

I agree. It will definitely look less out-of-place as construction moves further along and the setbacks become more apparent. They go a long way in helping to give the building a “lighter” appearance and a better transition to the sky imo. The construction of Central Park Tower and others of similar size nearby will definitely help to make this tower less of a visual anomaly as well.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2018, 3:00 PM
DENNAB

This might be my #1 favorite building. A true engineering marvel too

Not too long before One57 gets overtaken yet again

Old Posted Aug 29, 2018, 5:16 PM
Ω

Imo this tower is leagues better than 432 Park. This is an example of how to do a super-skinny tower right.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2018, 5:37 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Given the location, right next to the park, the tower (111 W 57th) could of been a catastrophe in the making. IF it had a poor design, looked bad... had Kaufman like design qualities. A nightmare... I know. Can you imagine a Peter Poon or Kaufman design at this height, near this prominent park? Would of been devastating, as would any poorly designed tower that would rank 1 through 5th tallest for "X" city.

Fortunately, such is not the case. Its not a nightmare, but a euphoric dream.

Point being, any tower that would have a significant impact on any skyline, also has the potential to ruin it. The taller it is, the more likely it is to occur.

Which for the most part, NY has had good luck with great looking super talls, especially this one.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2018, 6:12 PM

This is an Art Deco inspired building. Lean and stretching skywards. Beautiful.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2018, 3:38 AM
New Yorker for life

It is, and it's about to enter another exciting phase, as it begins to peak on the skyline, and the real fun with the setbacks begins.

AUGUST 28, 2018

https://www.instagram.com/p/BnIE1liA...en-by=ribadiva

Last edited by NYguy; Aug 31, 2018 at 4:10 AM.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2018, 7:05 PM
New Yorker for life

Last edited by NYguy; Sep 1, 2018 at 7:16 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive