HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia

Old Posted Mar 23, 2021, 5:01 PM
Community Guy

I cannot wait to take the train back and forth to YYC.

----

CANADA INFRASTRUCTURE BANK AND GOVERNMENT OF ALBERTA SIGN A MEMORANDUM OF UNDERSTANDING FOR THE CALGARY-BANFF RAIL PROJECT

Partnership is a step towards rail service from Calgary to Banff National Park for the first time in 30 years

June 9, 2020

TORONTO – The Canada Infrastructure Bank (CIB) and Government of Alberta’s Ministry of Transportation (Alberta Transportation) announced the signing of a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) to complete studies and due diligence for the Calgary-Banff Rail project. The project would support Alberta’s economy by creating a critical airport-rail link to downtown Calgary and Banff National Park, increasing tourism opportunities and labour mobility, and reducing vehicle greenhouse gas emissions and congestion in the travel corridor.

https://cib-bic.ca/en/canada-infrast...-rail-project/

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Mar 29, 2021, 1:56 PM
Community Guy

Much snow (10-15cm) last night.

my own

Old Posted Mar 29, 2021, 11:56 PM

Oddly, haven’t heard a peep about it since then. Has there been any action on this in the 10 months since this announcement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
CANADA INFRASTRUCTURE BANK AND GOVERNMENT OF ALBERTA SIGN A MEMORANDUM OF UNDERSTANDING FOR THE CALGARY-BANFF RAIL PROJECT

Partnership is a step towards rail service from Calgary to Banff National Park for the first time in 30 years

June 9, 2020

TORONTO – The Canada Infrastructure Bank (CIB) and Government of Alberta’s Ministry of Transportation (Alberta Transportation) announced the signing of a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) to complete studies and due diligence for the Calgary-Banff Rail project. The project would support Alberta’s economy by creating a critical airport-rail link to downtown Calgary and Banff National Park, increasing tourism opportunities and labour mobility, and reducing vehicle greenhouse gas emissions and congestion in the travel corridor.

https://cib-bic.ca/en/canada-infrast...-rail-project/

Old Posted Mar 30, 2021, 1:04 AM
Community Guy

Oddly enough, I had an informal meeting about it today.

Similar to a steam locomotive, MANY individual moving pieces.

Until they all move in unison, it won't happen.

That said, there seems to be growing interest and support for this.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2021, 2:31 AM
Community Guy

Pretty typical more upscale places.

More classic design along Kananaskis Way

The hood.

Commercial buildings along Bow Valley Trail

my own

Old Posted Mar 30, 2021, 4:22 AM

I don't understand why developers can make stucco cladded buildings in the mountains look attractive but can't do the same in places outside of the mountains.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2021, 11:01 PM
Community Guy

Twas a beautiful day today for a wee walk.

My own

Old Posted Mar 30, 2021, 11:23 PM
Community Guy

More walking/discovering.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2021, 6:48 PM
Beer me Captain

Great photos! You've done a fantastic job in capturing the spirit. I used to spend a fair bit of time in Canmore (but not since 2016) and the way I'd contrast it with Banff is:

Banff is more "museum" than a town.
Canmore is more "suburbs" than a town.

My personal opinion only - please don't flame me as I don't mean these as negatives, just generalizations of their developed form.

BTW, with you photographic skills, you need to get up to the top of Ha Ling, the Teahouse ruins on Lady Mac or EEOR for some specular valley views from "easy" hikes.

Do something about your future.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2021, 6:59 PM
Community Guy

They are all on the list!

Cheers and thank you.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2021, 1:10 AM
Community Guy

Bout Right.

My own

Old Posted Apr 7, 2021, 1:30 PM
Community Guy

Canmore Uncorked running April 8-22.

https://uncorked.hubopolis.com

Old Posted Apr 8, 2021, 1:17 AM
Community Guy

The Three Sisters Gateway commercial site received 3rd reading at council yesterday paving the way for a big box/grocery, some light industrial, mixed use residential/apartment/hotel and additional service/amenities.

https://www.rmotoday.com/canmore/the...campaign=Email

Old Posted Apr 9, 2021, 11:04 PM
Community Guy

Norquay today after a few good dumps this week. Tons of snow, even some fresh trax/powder in mid-April. Love being able to go from laptop to lift in 35mins.

my own

Old Posted Apr 10, 2021, 7:54 PM
Community Guy

Grotto Creek/Canyon trail - 8km return

my own

Old Posted Apr 11, 2021, 10:59 PM
Community Guy

My own

Old Posted Apr 12, 2021, 3:44 PM
Community Guy

I don't recall much posted on the public transit offering for Lake Louise-Banff-Canmore

Highlights:
-Live bus tracking
https://roamtransit.doublemap.com/map/

-SmartCard enabled
-~70% revenue recovery for the Banff portion of it
-Significant employer participation ie. passes for employees
-Tour operators/visitor experience providers including them in more and more packages

https://roamtransit.com

Old Posted Apr 12, 2021, 8:22 PM

That big box store proposal for Canmore really is international environmental vandalism of the highest order (for those who don't know, the property sits in the middle of the Yellowstone-to-Yukon wildlife corridor. Every large mammal travels through that area), especially when there are so many existing surface lots in downtown Canmore that could use the infill. Speaking of which, that surface lot in front of the Arts Centre should really be converted to a public square with an outdoor performance space. I've seen so many activities awkwardly spill out into that lot when there wasn't enough indoor space.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2021, 8:35 PM
Community Guy

One of the more interesting mixed-use projects.
---

An application has been approved for a mixed-use building, located at 1 Industrial Place (on the corner of 17 Ave and Industrial Place) that includes employee housing and offices above the main floor, light manufacturing operations, retail thrift stores, an eating establishment, and a warehouse store.

https://canmore.ca/municipal-service...dustrial-place

Old Posted Apr 12, 2021, 8:44 PM
Community Guy

Surplus school parcel on a school site for infill.
---

Canadian Rockies Public Schools (CRPS) is planning to submit an application for an Area Redevelopment Plan to allow for 80 - 100 residential units on the southern portion of the Lawrence Grassi Middle School site. The size of the residential development is approximately 1.1 ha.

The proposed residential development will see seven medium density, 2.5 to 3.5 storey residential buildings in the form of apartments and stacked townhouses, with units varying from studios and lofts to three-bedroom units. A single shared “mews” road will provide access to the site from 4 Street for vehicles, pedestrians and bicycles and will be supported by laneway servicing the rear sides of each development.

The proposed plan will have several affordable units for staff and their families. While CRPS will maintain ownership of the land, the proposal envisions offering both rental and ownership housing opportunities.

https://canmore.ca/municipal-service...-redevelopment

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia