HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Nov 15, 2018, 8:19 PM

This is affordable housing in bold or any type?

Quote:
The plan allows 10,000 residential units, with a 20% #ARO requirement
- 500 units must be built on site
- 1,000 units must be built off-site in the Pilsen-Little Village Pilot Area

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 12:29 AM
TL;DR

^ Yes. The normal requirement is 10% affordable, but Related is using TIF money for infrastructure so their requirement goes up to 20%. 1/4 of the requirement (5%) needs to be built on-site, and 1/4(another 5%) will be "bought out" with fees paid back to the city.

Sounds like they negotiated with Ald. Solis to get the remaining 10% of affordable housing built off-site in the Pilsen/Little Village pilot area... but that pilot area actually stretches up through University Village to Harrison Street and includes much of the Roosevelt Square development, where Related Midwest was gonna build affordable housing anyway under their agreement with the CHA. It also includes Related's highrise at 1035 W Van Buren. The boundaries are kinda funky there, so I can't tell if Related's empty Roosevelt Square land actually falls in the pilot area. If not, then they have to go searching for large sites elsewhere in the Pilsen/LV pilot area. Or potentially they could take existing market-rate units in Roosevelt Square and 1035 W Van Buren and put a covenant on them restricting the rents to affordable levels. Either way, seems like a shrewd deal cut between Related and Ald. Solis.... the boundaries of the pilot area are most definitely gerrymandered to help Related in some way.

Also, very disappointing that the Plan Commission presentation included no mention of a new Red Line stop. I understand why Related doesn't want to be on the hook for building a subway station, but without their influence I doubt it will get built at all.

Last edited by ardecila; Nov 16, 2018 at 12:42 AM.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 3:53 PM
The City

Let's remember that politics is about perceptions, not facts.

Truth is, there really is no reason why the affordable housing needs to be planted in masse in Pilsen and LV. They are already affordable.

UV and sites closer to downtown, where rents are already high, make more sense if you are going to do this kind of stuff

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 4:32 PM

Not to mention the whole "affordable" thing is silly. The whole southside is very "affordable". I'm curious if "affordable" housing is ever built like this in Naperville, Vernon Hills, Lake Forest ect or is this only a Chicago thing. Seems like people would want to be able to live in the burbs as well.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 4:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baronvonellis View Post
Not to mention the whole "affordable" thing is silly. The whole southside is very "affordable". I'm curious if "affordable" housing is ever built like this in Naperville, Vernon Hills, Lake Forest ect or is this only a Chicago thing. Seems like people would want to be able to live in the burbs as well.
I think "affordable" is only really used for areas that have rent whether median or average above normal (or it SHOULD be used that way). With that, I agree mostly with what TUP says about how LV and Pilsen are already affordable, although I'd have to say that it probably depends on where in Pilsen these days but that's another story.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 7:55 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Let's remember that politics is about perceptions, not facts.

Truth is, there really is no reason why the affordable housing needs to be planted in masse in Pilsen and LV. They are already affordable.

UV and sites closer to downtown, where rents are already high, make more sense if you are going to do this kind of stuff
I disagree, University Village/Little Italy (stretching from the Circle Interchange down to Ashland/15th) already has too much non-market housing, most of it tied up in large suburban-style CHA and nonprofit developments. If anything that area needs more market rate housing to balance things out. Pilsen on the other hand may still have relatively low rents at “market rate” but those are climbing fast. There’s very little non-market housing south of 15th, just a couple of scattered sites run by Resurrection Project and other nonprofits.

In an ideal world we’d have so much new construction that “market rate” would be affordable to most Chicagoans, but under the system we have now, it’s important to avoid concentrating too much low-income housing in one area where it can strain public services and in some cases create social breakdown like we saw in the old CHA projects.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2018, 4:52 AM

Old Posted Nov 20, 2018, 5:07 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

So the first stage would be along Lower Well's? Will there be any way to access by foot from Roosevelt?

Old Posted Nov 20, 2018, 10:00 AM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Also, very disappointing that the Plan Commission presentation included no mention of a new Red Line stop. I understand why Related doesn't want to be on the hook for building a subway station, but without their influence I doubt it will get built at all.
The City should be leaning on them to do the station, offering them pretty much whatever zoning they want, in return, and contributing if they need to. It seems like they should be able to construct it for around $250 million, which amounts to less than 5% of their $7 billion plans. If the City promises half, it'd drop to closer to 2% for the developer. Considering that a station would increase their property value, and probably their rents, it seems like money well spent. Someone must have studied the impact of Morgan on the West Loop if they want more evidence.
[/SIZE]

Old Posted Nov 20, 2018, 11:31 PM
TL;DR

^ I don't think it's Related cheaping out, I think it's everybody kowtowing to the NIMBYs. I'm not sure the station is dead, but definitely seems like it's been backburnered. The gentle residents of Dearborn Park II don't want a Red Line stop right next to their prize park, I've heard they have already started complaining to the alderman.

https://frinkiac.com/video/S07E23/MM...UffJf5neI=.gif
src

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 3:13 AM
The City

Quote:
^ I don't think it's Related cheaping out, I think it's everybody kowtowing to the NIMBYs. I'm not sure the station is dead, but definitely seems like it's been backburnered. The gentle residents of Dearborn Park II don't want a Red Line stop right next to their prize park, I've heard they have already started complaining to the alderman.

https://frinkiac.com/video/S07E23/MM...UffJf5neI=.gif
src
Meh, the station could get built later.

The nice thing is, as the South Loop gets more crowded those Dearborn Park city-haters' voices will gradually get drowned out by other people's' needs.

I foresee a time in the future when their obstructionism becomes so intolerable that those asshats get gerrymandered into another ward.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 5:55 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

When do we get to ram some roads through DP1 and DP2?

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 6:30 PM

Quote:

It was mentioned at plan commission, but it hasn't been designed and there's no specific timeframe or images.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 10:22 PM

So even by their projections, they don't expect to be doing anything other than infrastructure work until summer 2021... oof this thing might not see any buildings built until 2030 if the market crashes in the next few years.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonoboZill4 View Post
So even by their projections, they don't expect to be doing anything other than infrastructure work until summer 2021... oof this thing might not see any buildings built until 2030 if the market crashes in the next few years.
Honestly, this type of development takes time to build. But if the Discovery Institute or whatever it’s called can get off the ground, it’ll be a good start to the the 78 project. I mean, look at Lakeshore East, it’s been around for about a decade or so and it’s not even finished. It’ll all work out in the end. There’s no reason to rush. As long as they can get the infrastructure stuff done, it’ll be in good shape.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2018, 2:22 PM

Quote:
This does not bother me much. It will give the remaining sites between Roosevelt and Congress some more time to fill in.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 9:45 PM

Tend to agree with TUP that large-scale master-developer type developments wind up being bad urban form even if they are profitable and safe for the developers.

But this seems like a somewhat better option as its generally forced to integrate into the street grid.

Where I disagree with TUP is the idea that this is a binary project like a high rise where itll happen or not happen. It "happening" will likely involve 20+ years of development with multiple design revisions and multiple other developers coming in or partnering on specific towers. If they really are aiming to do more than just a bunch of apartments, it will be slower, but once they've established some of the amenities and infrastructure along with a few starter towers, they should be able to extract quite a bit of a value from other developers and spread their risk.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 12:22 AM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Meh, the station could get built later.

The nice thing is, as the South Loop gets more crowded those Dearborn Park city-haters' voices will gradually get drowned out by other people's' needs.

I foresee a time in the future when their obstructionism becomes so intolerable that those asshats get gerrymandered into another ward.
Obviously it can't be built overnight, but the later it's built, the more residents who will not be transit-oriented in their way of life, meaning a lost opportunity. The sooner it's built, the more likely it is that occupants, whether residential or commercial, will be transit-oriented and make full use of it.
[/SIZE]

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 1:30 AM
DENNAB

Quote:
No one can predict the future but just think about how long the Hudson Yards in NY took to come about.

The buildings in this development look really small though, unless they're placeholders. The larger the buildings the more risky/time consuming I'd imagine.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 1:36 AM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
Obviously it can't be built overnight, but the later it's built, the more residents who will not be transit-oriented in their way of life, meaning a lost opportunity. The sooner it's built, the more likely it is that occupants, whether residential or commercial, will be transit-oriented and make full use of it.
I’m not sure about this. A subway here will pretty much only take you into the Loop and Cubs games, etc.

I’m willing to bet that even without a subway stop, this district will have a huge car-free population. Having a subway stop will only make commuting that much easier

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development