HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Jan 23, 2021, 6:05 PM
New Yorker for life

One thing about this proposal is that it overlaps with the Hudson Yards. The 2 towers on the western end (1 office and 1 residential) would rise just below Larry Silverstein's Hudson Yards development at 41st Street. The large office tower, along with Silverstein's office tower, would provide an anchoring of the northern Hudson Yards. On the other hand, the ramps will form the northern terminus to Hudson River Boulevard and park. So I'm hoping the design would at least be something nice to look at.

Here's some of the phasing that would go into effect to get the complex built, which would begin with the decking over access tunnels...

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2021, 12:44 AM
New Yorker for life

https://www.bondbuyer.com/news/mix-a...nd-bus-project

Mix and match: How Port Authority intends to fund bus project

By Paul Burton
January 25, 2021

Quote:
The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey's plans for a new Manhattan bus terminal — a trophy project involving a long-scorned facility and stigmatized mode of travel — beg the question of who will pay for it and how much.

While some media accounts pegged at the cost at up to $10 billion, Executive Director Rick Cotton sidestepped estimates on Thursday as the 100-year-old bistate authority released its final scoping report.

“We don’t want to quote an amount that’s too high or too low,” he said. “We want to wait until we get greater clarity on each of the elements. If we put a number out there, we want to stand behind it.”
Quote:
The Port Authority submitted the report to the Federal Transit Administration with a request for an environmental review. Full construction could take up to a decade.

It is hinging its build-in-place project on a four-pronged approach that would include air-rights proceeds up to four new high-rise towers — three office and one residential — and funding from payments-in-lieu of taxes, or PILOTs, from developers subject to city approval.

The Port Authority, which started the process in 2013, winnowed 30 options to the preferred one it unveiled Thursday. The authority intends to tap $3 billion from its 2017 to 2026 capital program and seek financial assistance from new or existing federal infrastructure programs.

“This was the structure for funding the Moynihan Train Hall,” Cotton said.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2021, 11:51 PM
New Yorker for life

Missed this little bit...

https://www.metro-manhattan.com/blog...evamp-by-2030/

Quote:
February 11, 2021
Alan Rosinsky

When work is finished on the project, somewhere in 2030, PABT will be renamed the Midtown Bus Terminal and forever change the Midtown West landscape. The bigger, $51 billion Midtown West redevelopment plan will bring 196,000 new jobs to the area and create much-needed affordable housing and outdoor space to this part of the city.

The next steps in Cuomo’s master plan include fueling $16 billion into Penn Station’s reconstruction, which involves expanding the complex to 40% more train capacity and adding more than eight new underground train tracks. This phase of the project is expected to create 60,000 direct jobs. Afterward, up to 14 new buildings from Broadway to the Hudson will yield 20 million square feet of commercial and residential development and 1,400 affordable housing units.

Hadn't thought about a name change, but surely they can come up with something better.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2021, 2:21 AM
Show me the blueprints

I'm not sure what's wrong with Port Authority Bus Terminal. That is what it is.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Feb 12, 2021, 6:32 AM
Everywhere all at once

I have a feeling that they believe that the term "Port Authority," specifically with respect to the bus terminal, has a negative connotation they are looking to dispel with this brand new building. I also have a feeling that it will end up being named for someone important at some point closer to its opening date.

NYguy, those illustrations are highly informative and highly appreciated

Old Posted Feb 12, 2021, 2:36 PM
Show me the blueprints

_

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Feb 12, 2021, 4:38 PM
New Yorker for life

^ LOL, submit that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
I'm not sure what's wrong with Port Authority Bus Terminal. That is what it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2ATX View Post
I have a feeling that they believe that the term "Port Authority," specifically with respect to the bus terminal, has a negative connotation they are looking to dispel with this brand new building. I also have a feeling that it will end up being named for someone important at some point closer to its opening date.

NYguy, those illustrations are highly informative and highly appreciated

Yeah, I think they are trying to do away with any negative connotations too, but "Midtown Bus Terminal" sounds just a step below what it is now. I agree it will probably have a more formal name somewhere down the line, but they should just leave the name as it is until then.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2021, 4:57 PM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
^ LOL, submit that.
Extra points if you know what that name comes from.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2021, 5:16 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
Extra points if you know what that name comes from.
Google tells me its the font. But I like to imagine it's a 70's era something, lol.

BTW, this thing is extending all the way to the Javits Center. A whacky name would be the Jacob K. Javits Bus Terminal and Convention Center. Or they should just call it Hell's Kitchen. That would be fun. "Attention passengers, we are now arriving in Hell's Kitchen".

Old Posted Feb 12, 2021, 6:46 PM
Show me the blueprints

^^^

It is a typeface(font) but it's a typeface named after an advertising program's "batwings" that were attached to many MTA buses from the late 1960s through the early 1980s:

GM bus

GM bus

GM bus

GM bus

Flxible bus in Chicago

Old Posted Feb 12, 2021, 6:52 PM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyguy View Post
[o]r they should just call it hell's kitchen. That would be fun. "attention passengers, we are now arriving in hell's kitchen".
Hell's Bus Station

Old Posted Feb 12, 2021, 7:11 PM
New Yorker for life

The glory days of buses.

You know, together with the construction of Empire Station, these 2 transit projects will bring major construction activity to the west side in the next decade. And that's not even counting the skyscrapers.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2021, 10:16 AM

Does the NYT building stand to lose its views westward? I can see something taller going up right next door.

Watch the NYT run a smear campaign against the developers to save their views hahaha.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2021, 4:26 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visionist View Post
Does the NYT building stand to lose its views westward? I can see something taller going up right next door.

Watch the NYT run a smear campaign against the developers to save their views hahaha.
Eminent domain was used to get that headquarters built. If they wanted views forever, they should have built on the river. 3 Hudson Yards will have some nice westward views.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2021, 5:42 PM
New Yorker for life

Overview of the area

Video Link

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 12:41 AM
I like Skyscrapers 🏙

Will there be a supertall skyscraper (just one) be built in the complex by 2030s? It should buy air rights and rise to about 1,042 feet tall.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 2:02 AM
Registered (Nimby Ab)User

Location: At a computer, wasting my life on a skyscraper website
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raysiri View Post
Will there be a supertall skyscraper (just one) be built in the complex by 2030s? It should buy air rights and rise to about 1,042 feet tall.
Im hoping for something around twice that height for this site

I heard the UN is moving its HQ there. The eiffel tower is moving there soon as well. Elon Musk even decided he didnt want to go to mars anymore after visiting.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 4:27 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post

This is the development plan.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 1:44 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

so an eventual tower is allowed for only half of main bus station terminal at 8th ave? seems like a waste of half the main building. maybe they want to save it for additions for more bus services if need be???

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 3:45 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
so an eventual tower is allowed for only half of main bus station terminal at 8th ave? seems like a waste of half the main building. maybe they want to save it for additions for more bus services if need be???
Probably has to do with the core of the office tower taking up space.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals