HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction

Old Posted Mar 18, 2020, 5:10 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

YIMBY Checks In On Rolex Headquarters At 665 Fifth Avenue In Midtown

Quote:
YIMBY checked in on 665 Fifth Avenue, the site of a forthcoming David Chipperfield Architects-designed headquarters for Rolex. The Midtown lot sits at the intersection of Fifth Avenue and East 53rd Street and is currently occupied by a 12-story structure that was built in the 1970s. This International Style building will be torn down to make way for the new 25-story edifice, which will feature a contemporary design of irregularly stacked boxes clad in glass.

Preparations for demolition have yet to commence. The flagship Rolex, St. John, and Lindt stores along Fifth Avenue are still open for business, and no scaffolding or construction equipment has been delivered to the Midtown property.

The main renderings and black-and-white photo of the physical model show how Chipperfield’s vision fits comfortably among the cityscape. The building’s use of setbacks evokes the traditional style of New York’s past, while its fluted transparent glass curtain wall gives it a modern touch without overt flare. Both of these features translate to an overall feeling of lightness that sets it apart from the surrounding dark glass and steel skyscrapers.

The array of vertical lines formed by the structural geometry of 665 Fifth Avenue’s envelope emphasize its verticality, as do the high ceilings of its lower floors.

The E and M trains are located directly in front of the building at the 5th Avenue-53rd Street station. The B, D, and F trains are a short walk to the southwest at Rockefeller Center.

It’s unclear when demolition will begin or when the project is expected to finish.
================
NYY

Old Posted Mar 20, 2020, 1:06 PM

wow that facade is sexy af

Old Posted Mar 20, 2020, 1:31 PM
BANNED

I really hope that this wasn't just a concept and that nothing will occur here.

For years, I've thought that the Rolex building is such a waste of space. A 1,000 foot 5-star hotel and condo by Stern would be a runaway success here. Even with the slacking demand for condos, with the right design, this would be a blockbuster due to the location.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2020, 1:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMKeynes View Post
I really hope that this wasn't just a concept and that nothing will occur here.
Rolex announced the new project. It's their new North American HQ.

Yeah, I would definitely prefer a supertall hotel/condo by Stern, but the Rolex tower plan is pretty good.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2020, 2:35 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post

Yeah, I would definitely prefer a supertall hotel/condo by Stern, but the Rolex tower plan is pretty good.
Sounds good.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2020, 2:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post

I think what JMKeynes is alluding to, is that if we are headed for a recession (and I think we are) Rolex will cancel these plans and keep the current headquarters.

In a major recession luxury watches are one of the first things people cut back on buying, and Rolex could be headed for some lean cut back years themselves as a result.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2020, 2:58 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackster99 View Post
I think what JMKeynes is alluding to, is that if we are headed for a recession (and I think we are) Rolex will cancel these plans and keep the current headquarters.

In a major recession luxury watches are one of the first things people cut back on buying, and Rolex could be headed for some lean cut back years themselves as a result.
No. I was just wondering if it will actually happen since a timeline hasn’t been announced.

I think that now would be a great time to build. Loans are cheap and the price of labor and materials has probably dropped .

Old Posted Mar 20, 2020, 3:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMKeynes View Post
No. I was just wondering if it will actually happen since a timeline hasn’t been announced.

I think that now would be a great time to build. Loans are cheap and the price of labor and materials has probably dropped .
Maybe, we'll just have to wait and see. Frankly I think you are being very optimistic.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2020, 3:30 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackster99 View Post
Maybe, we'll just have to wait and see. Frankly I think you are being very optimistic.
Not really. Rolex will always be around. Not to mention, Rolex buyers are doing well.

Lastly, Since Rolex owns this property, it’s a corporate asset whose value will be enhanced.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2020, 1:09 AM

You guys are too obsessed with height. Look at all the hideous looking supertall/near-supertall proposals there are floating around at the moment, like Tower Fifth. This 25 story proposal looks fantastic and will be a great improvement to whats currently there now.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2020, 2:05 AM
New Yorker for life

This is a very small building, but a good example of how the right arcitecture can command a building presence.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=...AAAAAdAAAAABAJ

Quote:
A year after the opening of the Rolex Building in Dallas, designed by Japanese architect Kengo Kuma, London-based David Chipperfield Architects just announced it won an international design contest for the new Rolex skyscraper in New York City, beating out big names like Foster+Partners and Bjarke Ingels Group (which designed the new Audemars Piguet museum), according to industry publication Architects’ Journal.

I would like to have seen the other designs. I always like to see the alternative proposals. But I'm very happy with this.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2020, 2:07 AM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2020, 5:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
This is a very small building, but a good example of how the right arcitecture can command a building presence. I would like to have seen the other designs. I always like to see the alternative proposals. But I'm very happy with this.
Agreed 100%, NYguy. This looks like a beautiful design. The many subtle details such as the undulating facade and the nicely tapered massing will draw one's eye towards this building as much as any nearby building, barring some of the grand old buildings and Tower Verre. Designs like this one are what should guide the New York skyline into this new age that is upon it. Not poorly designed supertalls.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2020, 6:13 AM

The decade kinda reminds me of the International Gem Tower, both should’ve been taller to appreciate the design

Old Posted Mar 21, 2020, 1:27 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

I agree BXFrank. This is one of those designs that should of been a little taller. Likewise with 4 MW or Pendry Manhattan. On a side note, I wish Pendry was taller, because it has a stellar design. Shame that "The Eugene" towers over it, because "The Eugene" is the worst design out of the Manhattan West Complex.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2021, 10:53 AM
BANNED

Old Posted Aug 7, 2021, 11:48 AM

I’d forgotten about this beauty. Great news!

Old Posted Aug 7, 2021, 4:35 PM
Show me the blueprints

I'm confused, isn't it worth more if it's a broken-in scratched up classic?

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Aug 7, 2021, 4:43 PM

Is that the Eye of Sauron?

Old Posted Aug 7, 2021, 6:37 PM
New Yorker for life

Fantastic….

http://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/Jo...ssdocnumber=01

Quote:
08/06/2021

FULL DEMOLITION OF 12 STORY BUILDING USING PARTIAL MECHANICAL MEANS.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction