HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 6:35 PM

Not gonna leave my Denver home

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryCreek View Post
We're a dusty ole cow town!

Seems like a lot of dry years lately - the Denver Post had a story a few weeks ago about the very significant snow deficit in Denver for the entire decade of the 2010s.

Denver may find that its climate looks more like that of Albuquerque's in the coming years. Other than the growing risk of forest fires, not sure I mind dryer and warmer winters and more toasty summers. Growing up here, I sure remember a lot very cold and snow winters, but none really since the 1990s (1996 was a doozy).
https://www.bizjournals.com/denver/n..._news_headline
Quote:
Nearly 90% of the employees who worked in the downtown Denver headquarters of Molson Coors Beverage Co. (NYSE: TAP) — 265 of roughly 300 people — will not be moving to the company’s remaining offices in Chicago and Milwaukee, according to a letter sent by company lawyers to the Denver Mayor Michael Hancock’s office earlier this month.
Hardly shocking and I'd guess those that are moving have built up years of benefits and/or are at a salary level they didn't believe they could duplicate. For the 35 that are moving they should benefit from a lower cost of living.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 6:38 PM

Needing to replace a duplicate I'll go with this:

The office building at 1900 Grant was recently bought by Los Angeles-based Regent Properties. The building is only 45% occupied and rumor has it they will demo the building and build an In-N-Out Burger which should fit nicely into the Uptown neighborhood.

Last edited by TakeFive; Jan 28, 2020 at 6:48 PM.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 6:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
Also, this one really illustrates that Curtis Park should be denser.
That's the first thing that I noticed. It looks like a SFH crater right next to the most densely built neighborhood in a 500 mile radius.

Other musings - the other photo really shows the prominence of the Palmer Divide, which usually doesn't look that prominent from the air.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 7:13 PM

The parking lot at the NWC of 14th and California was fenced off.. There was some old proposals on this site that faded away, but nothing current that I know off. Does anyone know what's going on?

[IMG]IMG_20200128_085031212_HDR[/IMG]

The lot at NWC of 14th & Stout poised for the Marriott was still public parking, however there were utility crews working in the alley (not shown) and porta-potties being installed (lol, left behind stop light) so seems to be moving along.

[IMG]IMG_20200128_085231969_HDR[/IMG]

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanD View Post
I'm loving these clear days!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Thanks guys! Cool shots. Especially those airplane ones.

Last edited by tommyboy733; Jan 28, 2020 at 7:55 PM.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
Not gonna leave my Denver home

https://www.bizjournals.com/denver/n..._news_headline

Hardly shocking and I'd guess those that are moving have built up years of benefits and/or are at a salary level they didn't believe they could duplicate. For the 35 that are moving they should benefit from a lower cost of living.
Well, if the two alternatives are Chicago and Milwaukee, the choice for me would be to stay in Denver as well, unless I would make enough in Chicago to offset the crazy tax burden they have there. It's an amazing city, but holy shit do you pay a ton in property taxes compared to here. Milwaukee? No thanks.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 7:17 PM

In N Out at 19th and Grant? Seriously? That would be utterly pathetic. If there have to be in Colorado then keep them in the suburbs and at interstate exits. I truly don’t understand the appeal of In N Out, and it’s not just because I don’t eat beef. Their French fries totally suck and their selection other than hamburgers is non-existent. I do whatever I can to avoid fast “food” anyway.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 7:37 PM

Quote:

The office building at 1900 Grant was recently bought by Los Angeles-based Regent Properties. The building is only 45% occupied and rumor has it they will demo the building and build an In-N-Out Burger which should fit nicely into the Uptown neighborhood.
LOL one would think they would have saved about 20 million plus demo costs and just grabbed a nearby parking lot if that was their intention.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 7:42 PM

That's odd with 14th and California. I called the city just out of curiosity and they didn't have any activity with 1401 California Street since 2009. Not sure what is going on there but I would certainly like to see that parking lot bite the dust as well, especially with the news today that Denver has the 4th worst air pollution in the US.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 7:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert.hampton View Post
LOL one would think they would have saved about 20 million plus demo costs and just grabbed a nearby parking lot if that was their intention.
Lol. I assume they aren't going to tear down a 14 story office building and put in a drive through burger joint.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/19...4d-104.9831529

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 7:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirLucasTheGreat View Post
That's odd with 14th and California. I called the city just out of curiosity and they didn't have any activity with 1401 California Street since 2009. Not sure what is going on there but I would certainly like to see that parking lot bite the dust as well, especially with the news today that Denver has the 4th worst air pollution in the US.
Interesting. The source is "an auto insurance company" that analyzed EPA data.

https://denver.cbslocal.com/2020/01/...air-pollution/

Call my skeptical (not that I think the air pollution here is okay).

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 7:53 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirLucasTheGreat View Post
That lot is owned by Focus Property Group, who are developing the new Marriott. It's possible they are going to use it as construction staging as it might be difficult to get any kind of street or sidewalk closure for the Marriott project.

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 7:57 PM

^ That makes sense. Thanks!

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 8:11 PM

Quote:
We're a dusty ole cow town!

Seems like a lot of dry years lately - the Denver Post had a story a few weeks ago about the very significant snow deficit in Denver for the entire decade of the 2010s.

Denver may find that its climate looks more like that of Albuquerque's in the coming years. Other than the growing risk of forest fires, not sure I mind dryer and warmer winters and more toasty summers. Growing up here, I sure remember a lot very cold and snow winters, but none really since the 1990s (1996 was a doozy).
I would take the drier and warmer winters if we could also get wetter and cooler summers where everything stays lush and green from May-September. The past few summers have been more like that, especially compared to the blazing hot summers in 2012-2013.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 8:19 PM

Quote:

Good troll.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 8:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyboy733 View Post
The parking lot at the NWC of 14th and California was fenced off.. There was some old proposals on this site that faded away, but nothing current that I know off. Does anyone know what's going on?
The outdoor snow show starts tomorrow. Exhibitors usually rent out both 14th and California and 14th and stout to do some additional displays.

My guess is it's for that.

Site prep for the Marriott is probably keeping 14th and Stout from doing that (they've been closing off bits and pieces of the lot all week as well as the sidewalk).

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 8:48 PM

Quote:
Interesting. The source is "an auto insurance company" that analyzed EPA data.

https://denver.cbslocal.com/2020/01/...air-pollution/

Call my skeptical (not that I think the air pollution here is okay).
You know all those days of sunshine they brag about? The downside is bad ozone days... as apposed to the NW which gets lots of rain. The Front Range is semi-arid.

https://www.buyautoinsurance.com/air...ailed_Findings

This also applies to the Colorado Front Range:
Quote:
The rankings can be attributed to a few factors. First, California is the most populous U.S. state, which means more people are commuting, consuming, and ultimately polluting. Second, California is generally warm and sunny.

Ground-level ozone pollution is more likely to form in this type of climate as the sun and heat act as accelerants. California’s hot weather has also been linked to severe wildfires, which push more dangerous particles into the air.

Finally, many California cities exist on plains or in valleys that are encased by mountains. This topography helps trap pollutants in, keeping ambient air concentrations high.
The other two big offenders are the "particulate matter" measurements.

Let's start with Phoenix; it's in a freakin' desert which is noted for its summer 'haboobs' or dust storms. And any time it's 'windy' dust will kick up.

With Denver it's the winter weather patterns that create many 'high wind watch' days (especially in Boulder) as storm fronts push the wind over the Rockies and it accelerates as it whooshes down the face of the front range mountains. This time of year is also dusty-dry.

Pick your poison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ndj View Post
Good troll.
No comment.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 9:01 PM

Quote:

Or, you know, In-N-Out could just take that unoccupied former gym space on the corner and keep the rest of the building intact.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dirt View Post
That's the first thing that I noticed. It looks like a SFH crater right next to the most densely built neighborhood in a 500 mile radius.
While there are undoubtedly a lot of single-family homes in Curtis Park, there is also a ton of "missing middle" type housing both old and new. I'll acknowledge that the neighborhood is very close to the city center, but I would hate to lose a fairly complete mixed-use neighborhood just for the sake of density.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 11:11 PM

I was speaking to the primarily single family homes section seen in the aerial, which by definition is not missing middle or mixed use. Replacing the poor housing stock will be decried as gentrification while, the nicer stock is already occupied by a bunch of 1 percenters. There are a few opportunities along the corridors, but the likelihood that this area will stay very low density for a long time is high.

Last edited by The Dirt; Jan 29, 2020 at 2:28 PM.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2020, 3:14 AM

According to this article, T3 RiNo is supposed to break ground next month!

https://milehighcre.com/pickard-chil...-rino-project/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West