HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Apr 3, 2018, 7:36 PM
Development Shill

I think all three of them look pretty mediocre and bland

Old Posted Apr 3, 2018, 9:58 PM
1st Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Investing In Chicago View Post
I like the massing of this building, but that actually look of it is a bit off to me, it's missing something.
What's interesting, is I absolutely love 520 Park Ave and 220 Central Park South, which are two very similar buildings to OBP, but they look better. I think 520 Park is all limestone, but not sure about 220 Central Park South...I can't quite figure out why I like those so much more than OBP.
If they use limestone as opposed to precast, then I'd say the quality of materials alone is going to be a big factor in the attractiveness of those projects.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2018, 2:03 PM

Better to judge this one when the crown is complete. Neither 520 and 220 were as impressive until the crown appeared. The crown is the real face of these towers.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2018, 2:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandelay View Post
Better to judge this one when the crown is complete. Neither 520 and 220 were as impressive until the crown appeared. The crown is the real face of these towers.
That is what I'm thinking, though the facade is still missing something compared to 520 and 220, imo.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2018, 2:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Investing In Chicago View Post
That is what I'm thinking, though the facade is still missing something compared to 520 and 220, imo.
Hmm it does seem to be missing something... Any semblance of quality design perhaps?

Old Posted Apr 4, 2018, 2:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post
If they use limestone as opposed to precast, then I'd say the quality of materials alone is going to be a big factor in the attractiveness of those projects.
They’re both limestone and generally very high quality. Two of the most expensive new builds ever (in terms of apartment prices) at the time, so you get to do everything nicely.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Apr 4, 2018, 2:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
Hmm it does seem to be missing something... Any semblance of quality design perhaps?
Define "quality design."

Old Posted Apr 4, 2018, 2:18 PM
devout Pizzatarian

* posts deleted *

i cleared out all of the chicago vs. new york stupidity from this thread.

let's please keep this thread on topic about OBP.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2018, 2:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
They’re both limestone and generally very high quality. Two of the most expensive new builds ever (in terms of apartment prices) at the time, so you get to do everything nicely.
Are there or even were there ever any fully clad limestone residential skyscrapers ever built until Stern did 15, 520 and 220? Unlikely. They're rare projects.

Better to compare this one to 30 Park Place or 1 St. Thomas.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2018, 2:30 PM

Quote:
Define "quality design."
Quality of materials, appropriate detailing. You know, details you can actually sense from the street. Not just lines pressed in concrete that blend into beige Oblivion when viewed from hundreds of feet below. The difference between this and limestone is that limestone has texture, you can sense it from thousands of feet away. The difference between little lines pressed into concrete and actual stone block is that precast is one solid surface and, from a distance, all the bullshit games they play fade away and it is clearly just a concrete commie block with window holes punched in it dolled up with "elegant massing". The difference between precast with no metal detailing and what was proposed orginally shouldn't have to be explained to you.

This is a shitty building with a shitty design. Admit it. For all the conversation defending this pile of crap I have yet to see one person actually cite a truly redeeming design quality. The best we can come up with is "elegant massing", so let's call a horse a horse here. If you can't actually tell me what's so great about it, then it's not great.

We get it, you like "ye olde architecturee", but even you have to admit this is cheap crap that does total disservice to the styles it apes. At the very best you can argue this is thouroughly medicore, at worst it's downright fugly.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2018, 2:38 PM

What are quality materials? Concrete is bad? The pantheon must not be a quality design.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2018, 1:38 AM

Quote:
For all the conversation defending this pile of crap I have yet to see one person actually cite a truly redeeming design quality.
The interiors are nice.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2018, 6:24 AM

Quote:
What are quality materials? Concrete is bad? The pantheon must not be a quality design.

When construction companies in America use that quality of concrete, or even the quality that contemporary Japanese firms use, then you might have a point.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Apr 5, 2018, 2:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post

When construction companies in America use that quality of concrete, or even the quality that contemporary Japanese firms use, then you might have a point.
You don't think the manufacturer of decorative architectural curtain wall panels can produce quality concrete?

Quote:
Precast panels can be good, depending on their quality and detailing. This is a precast panel building:

Old Posted Apr 5, 2018, 6:43 PM

So you acknowledge that there is a differece between this project and true quality like the one you posted. Good. We all agree that there is such a thing as a quality precast facade and that OBP is not one of them.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2018, 9:03 PM

It's like a mini me version of OBP!

I like it....

Old Posted Apr 5, 2018, 9:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kngkyle View Post
The interiors are nice.
I’d like to add “it’s not another blue glass box” to the list. Also “makes some attempt at unique massing” and “no huge above-ground parking garage.”

And with regard to LouisVanDerWright’s comments about the precast, sure, it may not be as high-quality as that Verizon building, but c’mon, it’s nowhere near as bad as Lagrange’s stuff and you know it. Honestly, if you modern-architecture purists were alive in 1925, you’d be calling the Tribune Tower a cheap imitation of a Gothic cathedral and complaining about how they skimped on the facade by using that cheapo Indiana limestone instead of the authentic European stuff.

Is OBP perfect? No. But it’s not a “turd” by any means.

Also, like it or not, you’re stuck with it now.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2018, 1:32 AM

Quote:
So you acknowledge that there is a differece between this project and true quality like the one you posted. Good. We all agree that there is such a thing as a quality precast facade and that OBP is not one of them.
FYI, the same company that did that project likely supplied the facade panels for OBP.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2018, 2:02 AM

Quote:
FYI, the same company that did that project likely supplied the facade panels for OBP.
BPDL? It wouldn't surprise, me they've done quite a few other RAMSA projects

Old Posted Apr 6, 2018, 2:13 AM
Making Chicago Memorable.

Ann Thompson with Related Midwest answered our question about the cheapening of materials in OBP. I just wish they would be honest in renderings instead of baiting and switching on us!

" What are the challenges in designing buildings inspired by historic architecture?"

Ann Thompson: "The challenge in designing buildings inspired by the past is largely economic. We associate historic Chicago architecture with ornament, stone cladding, varied fenestration, setbacks — all expensive elements. Not all buildings can support the cost of these elements. Apart from the additional material cost of limestone over precast concrete, the added detail requires more time for design, coordination and execution. These costs escalate quickly in a large-scale building."

https://www.wbez.org/shows/curious-c...f-41a150790052

Ann Thompson, AIA, Senior Vice President of Architecture and Design, Related Midwest

As a licensed architect at a major developer, Ann Thompson is responsible for the design approvals and decisions made by Related Midwest. She graduated from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign and has been on staff at Related Midwest for the past 21 years. She generously invited Rachel and Curious City into a “secret room” at Related Midwest to see a six-and-a-half-foot-tall scale model of a new Streeterville luxury residential building in development, which was designed by Robert A.M. Stern Architects. The structure is inspired by the forms, setbacks, and ornamentation of the 1920s Art Deco era. Related Midwest also commissions very contemporary buildings, including a high rise residence designed by Morris Adjmi for the West Loop. She explained that Related can only afford to develop in the historically inspired style she calls “modern classicism” when they expect to sell or rent apartments to very high end clients.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive