HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #10421  
Old Posted May 19, 2022, 8:43 PM
edale edale is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 1,481
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelseaFC View Post
Most of America looks like this, dense downtown financial districts are the exception.
Um...no. There are a million shades of grey between "dense downtown financial districts" and this walled off fortress of a development.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10422  
Old Posted May 19, 2022, 9:07 PM
ChelseaFC's Avatar
ChelseaFC ChelseaFC is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 845
Quote:
Originally Posted by edale View Post
Um...no. There are a million shades of grey between "dense downtown financial districts" and this walled off fortress of a development.
Probably due to safety concerns. If a similar development is built in Pasadena, you probably get something a little more open.
__________________
Downtown LA Development MapCentral LA Development MapPasadena Development Map

*Send PM for updates/edits/corrections*
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10423  
Old Posted May 19, 2022, 9:47 PM
citywatch citywatch is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 5,630
In the dtla compilations pg I've been describing vids of other places & cities throughout the world, most posted to youtube. Totally different vibe elsewhere.

When I've pointed out the major fountains in dt aren't working right now...whether due to drought or not...some ppl have had a 'no biggie' attitude. Seeing how big time & busy....full of street life, crowded sidewalks.....other cities are like, my complaining about fountains not working makes me feel like I should be complaining that the town's one traffic signal has burned out.

I mentioned a few wks ago that ppl in LA love to live in their car....crowded fwys are the main way to tell LA has a somewhat large population. I also originally thought that nicer looking streets in LA would be more appealing, so ppl might be more likely to go out & walk around....not necessarily so.

The transit in LA has been described by some ppl as now being too sketchy or full of too much drama to want to keep using. When I mentioned that going into dtla itself, after being stuck in crowded fwys all around it, often gave a sense of way fewer ppl out & about, & as though LA was a smaller city, an ssper became resentful.

Maybe LA doesn't have nice enough weather? Maybe ppl don't walk to walk around unless they're one block from the beach? Maybe a disneyfied place like the Grove is what ppl in LA are willing to drop by & visit?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10424  
Old Posted May 19, 2022, 10:14 PM
homebucket homebucket is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: The Bay
Posts: 4,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by citywatch View Post
In the dtla compilations pg I've been describing vids of other places & cities throughout the world, most posted to youtube. Totally different vibe elsewhere.

When I've pointed out the major fountains in dt aren't working right now...whether due to drought or not...some ppl have had a 'no biggie' attitude. Seeing how big time & busy....full of street life, crowded sidewalks.....other cities are like, my complaining about fountains not working makes me feel like I should be complaining that the town's one traffic signal has burned out.

I mentioned a few wks ago that ppl in LA love to live in their car....crowded fwys are the main way to tell LA has a somewhat large population. I also originally thought that nicer looking streets in LA would be more appealing, so ppl might be more likely to go out & walk around....not necessarily so.

The transit in LA has been described by some ppl as now being too sketchy or full of too much drama to want to keep using. When I mentioned that going into dtla itself, after being stuck in crowded fwys all around it, often gave a sense of way fewer ppl out & about, & as though LA was a smaller city, an ssper became resentful.

Maybe LA doesn't have nice enough weather? Maybe ppl don't walk to walk around unless they're one block from the beach? Maybe a disneyfied place like the Grove is what ppl in LA are willing to drop by & visit?
You took so long to get to the point that I'm not sure what your point actually is. Are you saying that since LA is so autocentric and people don't walk around (as in Angelenos drive to places to walk around) that this particular Hollywood Park project is actually the desired mixed use typology, at least for this area?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10425  
Old Posted Yesterday, 12:17 AM
citywatch citywatch is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 5,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
Are you saying that since LA is so autocentric and people don't walk around (as in Angelenos drive to places to walk around) that this particular Hollywood Park project is actually the desired mixed use typology, at least for this area?
Bingo. One of the posts above implies the layout of the new stadium area in inglewood is too car-centric. It is. But the more sidewalk oriented nature of certain other hoods in LA, including dtla or fancy bev hills, aren't necessarily all that more full of ppl as their counterpart areas in certain other cities are.

Fighting the nature of LA....which I admit to wanting to do on occasion too....is similar to fighting the wave action of the ocean.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10426  
Old Posted Yesterday, 4:26 AM
hughfb3 hughfb3 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 639
Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
Below the 10, does Sepulveda or Overland have higher density/anticipated ridership? I'd probably go with HRT Overland or HRT Sepulveda based on that answer. Otherwise, I agree with either route as a Sepulveda extension to LAX. The Purple Line Extension to LAX doesn't make a lot of sense to me, especially once the Crenshaw northern extension to the Purple Line is complete. A one seat ride for people from the Valley to LAX seems more ideal.
The reception to the Overland alignment was quiet. The one with a surprising buzz was the Centinela alignment as it is one of the routes that would give way to the most amount of new developments and new transit trips… it would also be the most expensive. The Sepulveda route also has a high development potential around fox hills and the north eastern side of playa vista, like this new TCA tower at Howard Hughes... and it would be the most direct to LAX.

I’m partial to the 405 alignment as it would be the fastest most direct route to LAX and the cheapest by a few billion, as well as the only one that would give riders expansive views of the westside and basin *with only 1 freeway median station.* But this is a development thread and I say all that to relate back to the development potential on the westside with phase 2 contributing to the expanding Howard Hughes skyline and combining it with a new high rise district at Fox Hills just across the freeway.

Last edited by hughfb3; Yesterday at 4:03 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10427  
Old Posted Yesterday, 2:50 PM
colemonkee's Avatar
colemonkee colemonkee is offline
Ridin' into the sunset
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 8,423
My issue with the I-405 alignment, aside from the benefits you mention (which I think we could get with any of these alignments from a development perspective), is that it's awful from a pedestrian perspective to put the line where users will have to walk underneath 6 lanes of traffic and then up stairs/elevators just to reach the stations. It's similar to the Green Line east of El Segundo, which hasn't seen much development around it's stops further east likely due in part to that impediment to riding. It would also put development right against the freeway, which is not the greatest thing from a health perspective for those living/working there.
__________________
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10428  
Old Posted Yesterday, 4:23 PM
112597jorge 112597jorge is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: LA/OC
Posts: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
Unlikely. Here are the renderings. Looks to be one of those insular outdoor shopping mall fortresses kind of like the Citadel or something. Why not make it more open? Isn't Intuit Dome going to be right across from it on Century Blvd? They should make it more pedestrian friendly and accessible so people could easily go there before and after games.

Theres ample space between the Cinema Walls and Century Blvd and Praire Ave sidewalks for restaurants and bars to serve the Intuit dome crowds and Sofi Crowds too. This urban design is absolutely terrible.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10429  
Old Posted Yesterday, 6:00 PM
ChelseaFC's Avatar
ChelseaFC ChelseaFC is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 845
Quote:
Originally Posted by 112597jorge View Post
Theres ample space between the Cinema Walls and Century Blvd and Praire Ave sidewalks for restaurants and bars to serve the Intuit dome crowds and Sofi Crowds too. This urban design is absolutely terrible.
It's really not designed to be urban in the way that say Old Town Pasadena is. Not only are Century and Prairie way too wide for sidewalk cafes and boutique shops, but it's mostly a safety and security issue. They don't want just anyone off the street to drift in and out, so they have designated access points where they can monintor things more closely.
__________________
Downtown LA Development MapCentral LA Development MapPasadena Development Map

*Send PM for updates/edits/corrections*
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10430  
Old Posted Yesterday, 6:12 PM
112597jorge 112597jorge is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: LA/OC
Posts: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelseaFC View Post
It's really not designed to be urban in the way that say Old Town Pasadena is. Not only are Century and Prairie way too wide for sidewalk cafes and boutique shops, but it's mostly a safety and security issue. They don't want just anyone off the street to drift in and out, so they have designated access points where they can monintor things more closely.
Yeah you are 100% right, just felt they could have done something like this on Katella in Anaheim Resort District. Less tacky of course.

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.8034...7i16384!8i8192
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10431  
Old Posted Yesterday, 8:08 PM
HeySparky HeySparky is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Posts: 8
Gehry Approved in Santa Monics

I hope the Santa Monica city counsel increases their security starting today, because they just unanimously approved the Frank Gehry building for Ocean Avenue. The yokels in the community are going to be out for blood.

https://www.smdp.com/planning-commis...kQOcsMSKUCMxn4
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10432  
Old Posted Yesterday, 8:28 PM
colemonkee's Avatar
colemonkee colemonkee is offline
Ridin' into the sunset
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 8,423
^ Great news!!!!
__________________
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10433  
Old Posted Today, 4:48 AM
LosAngelesSportsFan's Avatar
LosAngelesSportsFan LosAngelesSportsFan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 7,473
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeySparky View Post
I hope the Santa Monica city counsel increases their security starting today, because they just unanimously approved the Frank Gehry building for Ocean Avenue. The yokels in the community are going to be out for blood.

https://www.smdp.com/planning-commis...kQOcsMSKUCMxn4
Awesome! So glad to see that
Reply With Quote
     
     
End
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 4:11 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.