HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted May 26, 2020, 4:55 AM
them bones

The changes in Tempe since I left in 2002 are absolutely staggering. I have trouble figuring out which project is which. Seemingly a wholesale change in the way it feels down there.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2020, 11:50 PM

A few pictures from the past week or so.

5/26
Westin

A+mosphere (7th/Forest)

5/28
First+Farmer

6/1
Mirabella (with Westin in the background)

Old Posted Jun 2, 2020, 12:07 AM
Modulator

Thanks for posting the pics! I got to admit, I was kind of lost on what a couple of the developments/cranes were for. Now I know (Westin and Forest).

Old Posted Jun 2, 2020, 1:48 AM

Great Photos muertecaza!!!!

I have created a list of Tempe high rises, planned/under construction. Similar to the Phoenix list, however I don't have much information on any Tempe projects. Let me know your thoughts and if anything should be added

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Old Posted Jun 2, 2020, 2:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA744PHX View Post
Great Photos muertecaza!!!!

I have created a list of Tempe high rises, planned/under construction. Similar to the Phoenix list, however I don't have much information on any Tempe projects. Let me know your thoughts and if anything should be added

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
The Pier is technically under construction, albeit very, very slowly. The west tower (I believe) is finally above ground and has had a tower crane in place for quite a while.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2020, 2:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichTempe View Post
The Pier is technically under construction, albeit very, very slowly. The west tower (I believe) is finally above ground and has had a tower crane in place for quite a while.
Thanks, I will update my sheet. I dont know much information about this project.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2020, 5:35 PM

Blue at eastline village was recommended for approval to the city council by the Development Review Commission.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2020, 10:27 PM

6/3 Hayden House and 100 Mill

I'm loving the Hayden House remodel, I think they've done a fantastic job.

Bonus shot of the 100 Mill pit:

Old Posted Jun 4, 2020, 1:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post
I'm loving the Hayden House remodel, I think they've done a fantastic job.
Great pics!

Old Posted Jun 7, 2020, 5:40 AM

Hey, I'm new here. Cool forum! I have a few questions, maybe someone can help. Anybody know the name of the architects working on Core Spaces' Hilo Apts project?
Also, does anybody understand how to access development documents and other records (site plan reviews, development plan reviews, etc.) off of Tempe's Citizen Access Portal?

Old Posted Jun 10, 2020, 11:32 PM

Great News! From our friends at the BizJournal #AF

Two Fortune 100 companies signed leases — including the biggest Class A office lease since the Covid-19 pandemic — at Rio 2100, a 60-acre mixed-use development in Tempe.

While CBRE and the Boyer Co., the developer of the project, did not disclose the name of one of the companies, a source familiar with the deal confirmed that Morgan Stanley signed a 43,975-square-foot lease, taking the full fourth floor at Phase V of the project.

The other new tenant, Siemens, a global automation technology company, signed a 7,823-square-foot lease on the first floor of the building and will occupy the space by the end of the year.

CBRE’s Bryan Taute and Charlie von Arentschildt, the exclusive leasing agents for the project, arranged the leases on behalf of The Boyer Co.

“The Boyer Co. is thrilled to welcome two Fortune 100 companies to the Rio 2100 community,” Adrian Evarkiou, partner at The Boyer Co., said in a statement. “These leases further validate the bet Boyer made on Tempe over five years ago, and we continue to see Tempe’s success through further development at Rio 2100 and down the street at I.D.E.A.”

Phase V, the newest building to be delivered, totals 170,680 square feet and includes an outdoor amenity area. The building has 118,600 square feet remaining for lease.

“Rio 2100 continues to be a top tier destination for tenants looking to capitalize on all that Tempe has to offer,” CBRE’s Taute said in a statement. “With abundant amenities adjacent to the project at Tempe Marketplace, easy access to the entire Valley at the interchange of the 101 and 202 freeways, and a convenient location within minutes of Downtown Tempe and Sky Harbor, Rio 2100 checks all the boxes. We hope to continue to attract premier tenants and up to 1,000 more employees to the project in the remaining 118,609 square feet in Phase V.”

The project’s first phase was completed in March 2017 and is fully leased to Varsity Tutors, MeltMedia, Mayo Clinic, American Vision Partners and SDC Clinical. The second and third phases were build-to-suits for Freedom Financial and the fourth phase was a build-to-suit for Benchmark Electronics’ new headquarters.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2020, 11:42 PM

https://azbigmedia.com/lifestyle/can...owntown-tempe/

The Southwest’s first Canopy by Hilton will open its doors on June 16 in the heart of downtown Tempe, ushering in a contemporary, full-service hotel offering guests a local experience with a boutique feel, all within the central core of one of the most vibrant, dynamic and growing cities in Arizona.

Owned and developed by Driftwood Capital, Canopy by Hilton Tempe Downtown, the new 198-room hotel at the corner of University Drive and Myrtle Avenue, boasts spacious guest rooms and suites, along with approximately 5,000 square feet of flexible meeting and event space. Bookings for overnight stays after June 16 are now open, plus a special Positively Local Package, just in time for summer staycations.

“Bringing our vision to life has been a collaborative effort between our local design firm, local featured artists and team of longtime hospitality professionals who have created a destination that truly embraces the fabric of the neighborhood,” said Alan Klein, Chief Enthusiast and General Manager at Canopy by Hilton Tempe Downtown. “We hope to become a vibrant gathering space that embodies the innovation present in the exciting evolution of downtown Tempe. As part of the Hilton brand portfolio, we’ll be implementing Hilton CleanStay procedures, a new industry-defining standard of cleanliness and disinfection, created in partnership with Lysol, so our guests can feel reassured that an even cleaner and safer stay is waiting for them when we open our doors.”

With the hotel’s debut comes two distinct dining venues helmed by seasoned Valley Chef Ken Arneson. Alter Ego, the hotel’s signature restaurant located on the ground floor, will serve up elevated fusion cuisine made with fresh locally and regionally sourced ingredients and an inventive craft cocktail program that aims to set the bar for elevated cocktail culture within vibrant downtown Tempe. Alter Ego’s modern interiors will perfectly complement the rich history and heritage of Tempe, with floor-to-ceiling glass windows, lush greenery, custom wooden shelving, sleek marble countertops and exclusive, curated pieces from local artists.

Open for breakfast, lunch and dinner daily, a few dishes on Alter Ego’s dinner menu include Long Bone Short Rib ($26) topped with a shitake Thai mushroom sauce, grilled green onion and shishito peppers; Char Sui Pork Tacos ($13) garnished with radish, bok choy slaw, cilantro and salsa verde; and Roasted Calabrian Shrimp ($25) smothered in ajo butter and grilled lemon, served with grilled Noble Bread. The menu will also include robust shared plates, salads, side dishes and desserts like Chocolate Tres Leches Cake ($9) with house-made ancho chocolate and cajeta gelato.

Alibi, the East Valley’s only full-service rooftop pool and bar set atop the hotel’s 14th floor, is a scenic retreat for weekenders and locals alike looking to relax, cut loose and cool down while lounging by the pool with music in ear and a cocktail in hand. With tapas-style light bites and a curated local craft-cocktail menu, Alibi guests will enjoy lounge seating, chic cabanas, a roaring fire pit and a seat at the custom wrap-around bar that features retractable climate-controlled glass walls for comfortable year-round entertaining. The terrace bar will also feature an ongoing lineup of weekly programming, events and live music.

During the hotel’s initial opening phase, Alter Ego will have a limited, scaled-back menu for all meal periods and will implement distanced seating and Hilton’s CleanStay procedures. Likewise, Alibi will refrain from programming, service and activities until later this summer, however the pool and cabanas will be open for hotel guests with limited food and beverage service from Alter Ego. Expanded hours and offerings for both venues will be announced in the coming weeks.

Canopy by Hilton Tempe Downtown features a modern aesthetic inspired by the spirit of the Southwest, highlighting the neighborhood’s cultural roots mixed with the emerging city scene. Designed by Scottsdale-based Allen + Philp, furnishings throughout the hotel mimic an urban culture, giving a nod to Arizona’s history in Mid-Century forms while connecting to the local environment through desert-inspired pops of color and texture in the fabrics and materials used. A variety of wood and metal tones are incorporated throughout the space to stay true to the nature of the Canopy brand.

The hotel’s guest rooms embrace an eclectic, Mid-Century modern style with a tribal-inspired flair. The design team collaborated with local artist Emily Brakefield to combine natural materials with an integrated art piece depicting native flora and iconic regional landscape details on the headboards to create a statement piece that anchors the room.

“We are thrilled to partner with Hilton on the launch of one of Driftwood’s first lifestyle hotels,” said Carlos Rodriguez, Jr., President and COO of Driftwood Capital. “The Tempe market has been on our radar for some time and we are proud to fill an underserved hospitality and restaurant niche in such a booming, progressive city.”

A curated collection of art crafted by local Arizona artists can be found throughout the hotel. Cairn rock formations, designed by artist John Randall Nelson, symbolize a sense of place and the start of a guest’s journey through the hotel, inspired by the trail markings of the area’s ancient Indigenous people. Artists Keanen Kasten and Issac Caruso were also commissioned to create custom murals.

Situated within a commuter-friendly urban corridor, the hotel is centrally located at 108 E. University Drive, just five miles from the Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport and just steps away from some of the area’s finest shopping centers, culinary offerings, entertainment destinations such as Desert Financial Arena and local landmarks including Tempe Town Lake, Mill Avenue District and Tempe Beach Park.

For more information about Canopy by Hilton Tempe Downtown, visit TempeDowntown.CanopybyHilton.com. To book a reservation at Alter Ego, visit AlterEgoTempe.com and learn more about Alibi at AlibiTempe.com.

Last edited by ciweiss; Jun 11, 2020 at 1:10 AM.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2020, 3:05 PM

Did anyone else's mouth water reading the above description of those two restaurants? I wonder if they will offer non-guests to eat on the rooftop pool or get a day pass? I would definitely stay a night to get the experience.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2020, 3:41 PM
Skyriser

Agreed. I wonder if the pool is heated--I might just have a night there next time I visit. The design sounds timeless and will never need a remodel.

Those prices for the food sound steep.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2020, 7:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCplanner View Post
Hey, I'm new here. Cool forum! I have a few questions, maybe someone can help. Anybody know the name of the architects working on Core Spaces' Hilo Apts project?
Also, does anybody understand how to access development documents and other records (site plan reviews, development plan reviews, etc.) off of Tempe's Citizen Access Portal?
Welcome JMC!
The best place to look for info on project IMO is on the Development Review Commission page. This will have the full design review package if you know what you are looking for. There isn't a search tool for a specific project but it has all of the latest developments.

Another handy option is this map from the citys website. I only know about it because of this forum, not sure how to get to it from the main page.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2020, 5:23 AM

Hayden is looking fantastic!!!

Old Posted Jun 12, 2020, 4:09 PM

Anyone been around Tempe lately? Saw on a cam that the Oliv Tempe garage paneling is almost complete, would love to see a pic of the completed red exterior. Also I noticed Hilo and Omni are in review for building permit.. this means we probably will see dirt moving here in the next 30-60 days I imagine!

Old Posted Jun 12, 2020, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.RE View Post
Anyone been around Tempe lately? Saw on a cam that the Oliv Tempe garage paneling is almost complete, would love to see a pic of the completed red exterior. Also I noticed Hilo and Omni are in review for building permit.. this means we probably will see dirt moving here in the next 30-60 days I imagine!
Not complete yet, but pretty far along. From today:

Cladding is also starting to go up on the Westin:

Old Posted Jun 13, 2020, 1:46 AM

Drove by the Pier today. Small progress, but there was a fairly large crew today. Wonder if the pace will pick up as the building moves above ground.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2020, 5:00 AM

Pier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socalzonie View Post
Drove by the Pier today. Small progress, but there was a fairly large crew today. Wonder if the pace will pick up as the building moves above ground.
Depends on how fast the family building it can work.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest