HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

180 East 88th Street in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Aug 1, 2014, 6:40 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Smile NEW YORK | 180 East 88th Street | 521 FT | 31 FLOORS

1558 Third Avenue:

Current Site:

Quote:
In the past, DDG Partners’ projects have all been on or below 14th Street, but the integrated design-and-development firm has finally moved uptown: today their architects filed permits for a tower at 1558 Third Avenue, on the Upper East Side.

The 469-foot, 31-story tower will sit at the corner of East 88th Street, on a site that they picked up from Muss Development for nearly $70 million.

The permit indicates 182,995 square feet of residential space (though, confusingly, just 151,458 square feet of total construction area) divided among just 44 apartments. Even using the lower square footage, this works out to apartments that are nearly 3,500 square feet in size on average – far larger than the average new American single-family home. Units this large combined with the extreme ceiling heights (each story will be more than 15 feet, including mechanical space) and DDG’s past projects all but guarantee that it will be condos.

The project will be by far the most attractive on this stretch of Third Avenue, once dubbed Birnbaum Canyon for all of the Philip Birnbaum-designed middle-class towers that went up after World War II. That building boom was sparked by the demolition of the old IRT Third Avenue elevated line, and perhaps aided by the fact that the Yorkville section of the Upper East Side was one of the last desirable corners of New York City with generous zoning under the 1961 code. (That loose zoning is still in effect, though rent stabilization and controls have made redeveloping the avenues’ remaining tenements difficult.)
Quote:
13 Building Characteristics

Primary structural system: Masonry Concrete (CIP) Concrete (Precast) Wood
Steel (Structural) Steel (Cold-Formed) Steel (Encased in Concrete)

Proposed
Structural Occupancy Category: II - OTHER THAN I, III OR IV
Seismic Design Category: CATEGORY C
2008 Code Designations?
Occupancy Classification: R-2 - RESIDENTIAL: APARTMENT HOUSES Yes No
Construction Classification: I-B: 2 HOUR PROTECTED - NON-COMBUST Yes No
Multiple Dwelling Classification: HAEA
Building Height (ft.): 469
Building Stories: 31
Dwelling Units: 44

Mixed use building? Yes No
================================
http://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/Jo...ssdocnumber=01
http://www.yimbynews.com/2014/08/per...rd-avenue.html

Old Posted Aug 1, 2014, 6:46 PM

These will be super-high floors, and huge apartments.

Their target market is likely totally different than all the supertalls. Here they're looking at rich New York families who want gigantic living spaces in Manhattan, close to the best private schools.

And at nearly 500 ft., the views from this part of the Upper East Side will be pretty spectacular.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2015, 7:05 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Lots Cleared For 1558 Third Avenue, Permits Not

Quote:
Across from soon to be open Whole Foods (East 88th and Third Avenue), Three walk-up buildings have been demolished and the "L" Shaped lot is ready for foundation work. Proposed is a 469 foot tall, 31 story building consisting of 151,000sf divided into 44 apartments and common facilities. At an average of 3500sf each these Manhattan McMansions would be perfect customers for the new high end market on the other side of the street. That is, provided that actual human beings move into the apartments, rather than simply being dark apartments that make for convenient homes to overseas money.

There is one sticking point. According to the NYC DOB, the permits, originally filed in August 2014 have yet to be approved. The Development Challenge Process is pending zoning approval and the most recent plan exam was disapproved on January 14th of this year. Perhaps the delay is based on height. The property was marketed for sale with a limit of 365 feet, while the permits call for 469 feet. It is not know whether additional rights were purchased from the corner lot that this development surrounds. With a plan of 15' ceilings, perhaps an easy solution would be to scale them down to a still grand 10' to 11' and it comes within the original height as-of-right.
=================================
http://afinecompany.blogspot.com/201...rd-avenue.html

Old Posted Feb 23, 2015, 1:07 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

First Look: 1558 Third Avenue, aka 180 East 88th Street, DDG’s 31-Story Upper East Side Tower

Quote:
The DOB filings reveal a total construction area measuring 151,458 square feet, and split between the 44 apartments listed on filings, that yields an average unit size surpassing 3,000 square feet. The palatially-sized homes will have ceiling heights to match, and even though the tower will only have 31 floors, it will stand 469 feet to its roof.

HTO Architects is listed on the permit as the architect of record, but as mentioned, DDG does most of their design work in-house. Like their recent projects at 10 Bond Street and 345 West 14th Street (aka 345 Meatpacking), that should yield a contextually-minded building that improves upon the neighborhood architectural lexicon.

In the case of 1558 Third Avenue — or 180 East 88th Street — the building will feature a distinguished stone facade. Massive arched windows will crown the structure, also lining the ground floor and one of the mid-levels, after the initial setbacks.

On the very top, the facade will continue past the arched windows, and the rooftop mechanicals will also be covered in a stone parapet. At the base, the building’s envelope will match the existing street-wall, with a set of staggered setbacks yielding to the intermediary level with arched windows.

[...]
================================
http://www.yimbynews.com/2015/02/fir...east-side.html

Old Posted Feb 23, 2015, 3:26 PM
Show me the blueprints

Baadddddaaaassssssss

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Feb 23, 2015, 7:16 PM

i too love this.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2015, 1:18 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Credit: Vertical_Gotham

Old Posted Mar 25, 2015, 10:16 AM

Real bricks pleeeeeaaassse

Old Posted Apr 6, 2015, 3:35 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Current Site:

Credit: Vertical_Gotham

Old Posted Apr 7, 2015, 3:02 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Height bump: NEW YORK | 1558 3rd Avenue | 521 FT | 31 FLOORS

180 East 88th Street To Become New York City’s Tallest Skyscraper Above 72nd Street

Quote:
Back in February, YIMBY revealed the first renderings of DDG’s new tower coming to 180 East 88th Street. Now, YIMBY has also learned that the project’s 521-foot height (it has seen a bump from 469 feet) will make it the tallest building north of 72nd Street. A tipster has also sent along demolition photos, which show the old tenements that formerly occupied the site have now been cleared to make way for the 31-story building.

A tower of this height could be lost in the canyons of the Financial District or Midtown, but the upper reaches of the East Side are relatively short, and this part of Carnegie Hill is particularly dominated by low-rise structures. It will surpass the current leader, at 1214 Fifth Avenue on the corner of 102nd Street, by eight feet.

The site’s base elevation of approximately 80 feet will give the tower a little extra boost when it comes to overall prominence, and the building will add a new apex to the neighborhood skyline. There are many buildings with larger floor counts in the vicinity, but none will have the average ceiling heights of 180 East 88th Street, which will approach 16 feet. DOB filings indicate the tower will total 151,458 square feet, which will be split between 48 condominiums.

New construction in the vicinity is much more contextual than in most parts of New York, and most projects feature facades dominated by masonry rather than glass. Other nearby examples including 151 East 78th Street and 1010 Park Avenue, the former designed by Peter Pennoyer and the latter by Beyer Blinder Belle.

DDG’s addition will be faced in handmade brick, but the cantilever and crown will give it a strong contemporary edge. The firm designs and builds its projects in-house.
=============================
http://www.yimbynews.com/2015/04/180...nd-street.html

Old Posted Apr 7, 2015, 3:07 AM

Great news! This is a really exciting one. One question I have is with the bricks, are they going to be individually laid or will they come in groupings that are connected?

Old Posted Apr 7, 2015, 3:13 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ploppalopp View Post
Great news! This is a really exciting one. One question I have is with the bricks, are they going to be individually laid or will they come in groupings that are connected?
Thats a good question. My assumption is that it would be hand placed given the small site. Larger sites tend to see the connected/groupings that you've mentioned. But not 100% sure when it comes to this project as its fairly new in the pipeline. Best thing to do though is that if there's activity at the site, down the line of course, best way to get good insider info is to talk to a worker on a lunch break. It works. Small conversation can go a long way.

With a date of 2018 for completion, which is kinda long for a tower such as this, I'd go with hand placed. They look like they are going to take their time with this one.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2015, 3:17 AM

^^^^Yeah...small talk works wonders but living in Minnesota makes it pretty hard to do that. I'm pretty jelous of you guys that can just go out and check out whatever development you wish to see but its all good because you guys share plenty of info!

Old Posted Apr 7, 2015, 3:19 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ploppalopp View Post
^^^^Yeah...small talk works wonders but living in Minnesota makes it pretty hard to do that. I'm pretty jelous of you guys that can just go out and check out whatever development you wish to see but its all good because you guys share plenty of info!
Minnesota. Damn, I thought you were from NYC all along since you follow the projects a lot.

Woops on that assumption.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2015, 3:24 AM

Lol nope. I wish though. I just follow projects from all over the place because there don't happen to be many projects going on where I live. That's why I appreciate you guys' updates so much. Though yeah, some day i'll be in NY enjoying all of the awesomeness in person!

Old Posted May 30, 2015, 1:18 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Last edited by chris08876; Jan 13, 2016 at 3:48 AM. Reason: Broken link

Old Posted Jun 12, 2015, 10:06 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Old Posted Jul 10, 2015, 11:46 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Credit: NYY

Old Posted Aug 27, 2015, 4:31 PM
N40° 46.8925', W073° 57.3

Upper East Side Tower Reveals Its Artsy Side, Preps for Sales
http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2015/0..._for_sales.php

Teaser Site:
http://180e88.com/

Old Posted Sep 24, 2015, 7:17 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Views Revealed For 180 East 88th Street, The Upper East Side’s Future Tallest Building Above 72nd Street

Quote:
Over the summer, Tribeca-based DDG broke ground on a 32-story tower at 180 East 88th Street, which will one day by the tallest building above 72nd Street, standing 521 feet to its pinnacle. Now, YIMBY has the first look at what the view from the upper reaches of the tower will entail. The building’s 48 condominiums will feature two-, three- and four-bedroom configurations, and a penthouse duplex will be located on the top two floors. Commercial space will also span 52,000 square feet in the base. HTO Architect is the architect of record, while DDG is designing in-house, and sales are expected to launch this fall.
========================
http://www.yimbynews.com/2015/09/vie...nd-street.html

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive