HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Oct 12, 2022, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigs View Post
LA could be next. The downtown growth is pretty crazy right now.

I've been right near the top of the US Bank tower when they had the OUE Skyspace and glass slide. It was awesome!
c. 1989
Architectural 1,018 ft (310 m)
Top floor 968 ft (295 m)

LA has a very long way to go if it wants to join the ranks of NYC, Chicago, and Toronto on the skyscraper front. There's usually not more than a couple of skyscrapers u/c at a time here throughout the city, let alone downtown. Miami is probably the 4th city, though it's definitely down a big tier from Chicago and Toronto (which are both down a big tier from NYC).

Old Posted Oct 12, 2022, 11:57 PM
DENNAB

LA doesn't really have many serious projects in the pipeline. And who knows if the existing ones will even happen anyway the way things go there.

Replace LA with Miami

Old Posted Oct 13, 2022, 12:00 AM
Birds Aren't Real!

I do expect downtown Los Angeles to follow the larger trend of building more--and taller--residential towers near existing office towers. However, whether any of them will be supertalls is an open question. LA covers a lot of ground and the numbers downtown don't always pencil out for supertalls. For example, our second "supertall" only reaches that designation due to an architectural element, while the roof height stands at 934 feet per the SSP diagram.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2022, 12:46 AM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
LA doesn't really have many serious projects in the pipeline. And who knows if the existing ones will even happen anyway the way things go there.

Replace LA with Miami
For now it appears to be Miami however it'll be heavily affected by climate change. Parts of the Miami area already run pumps 24/7 to keep out the seawater.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2022, 3:46 AM

Currently we have four cities in N. America with supertalls under construction.

NY, Toronto, Miami (site prep-should transition very shortly), Austin

Potential to expand to seven with San Francisco, Mexico City and Monterrey. Not betting on Philly, Seattle and Chicago at the moment as their supertall proposals are either stagnant or conceptual.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2022, 3:51 AM
Birds Aren't Real!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbannizer View Post

Potential to expand to seven with San Francisco, Mexico City and Monterrey. Not betting on Philly, Seattle and Chicago at the moment as their supertall proposals are either stagnant or conceptual.
Is there a supertall planned for San Francisco? The on-hold Oceanwide Center project would only rise to 910 ft./277 m.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2022, 3:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigs View Post
Is there a supertall planned for San Francisco? The on-hold Oceanwide Center project would only rise to 910 ft./277 m.
It’s 50 Main by Hines, proposed at 992 ft/ 302 m.

https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...&postcount=106

Old Posted Oct 13, 2022, 4:07 AM
Birds Aren't Real!

Quote:
It’s 50 Main by Hines, proposed at 992 ft/ 302 m.

https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...&postcount=106
Thanks.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2022, 5:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigs View Post
For now it appears to be Miami however it'll be heavily affected by climate change. Parts of the Miami area already run pumps 24/7 to keep out the seawater.
Much of Dade County has Aquifer contamination and has utilized pumps to keep seawater at bay. I had no idea. I thought this would be a down the road phenomenon.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2022, 2:16 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toasty Joe View Post
If we lower the threshold to a bit, Chicago saw four very tall towers completed between 1989-1990:
- two supertalls: Franklin Center (1007'), Two Prudential (995')
- two near supertalls: 311 S Wacker (961'), 900 N Michigan (871')
and even then, those two "super-talls" listed above have asterisks in my mind because they only achieve those heights with the technicality of decorative sticks.

by roof height those 4 look like this:

311 S Wacker - 961'
Two Prudential - 915'
Franklin Center - 886'
900 N Michigan - 871'

no doubt that's still one of the most impressive clusters of tall buildings ever built at the same time in the history of our planet up until that point in time, but certainly not qualifying for "4 super-talls U/C at the same time".

another impressive collection of 4 tall buildings U/C at the same time in chicago was just recently with:

st. regis - 1,196'
NEMA - 896'
OBP - 837'
110 N wacker - 814'

Old Posted Oct 13, 2022, 4:08 PM

Miami might get there soon, but obviously not yet.

Also, Toronto has 2 supertalls under construction. Concord Sky is 299m, as is Sugar Wharf. No idea where the 300.6m height for Concord Sky comes from, I just checked the latest plans submitted to the city and it's still 299m.

Sugar Wharf has always been 299m. It's also not really under construction yet, the developer has *just* started demolition on the site. Until shoring rigs show up I wouldn't be too excited, they haven't started sales for it yet and the scale of the project makes me doubt they will go forward with it without presales.

Toronto's 3rd Supertall proposal, Gehry's tower, will likely start before 1 Yonge and The One will be completed though, so we will likely see 3 under construction at once. I suspect we'll see it start in 2024 as the other two are wrapping up.

The fun fact about Toronto's skyscrapers is that it's current tallest, officially 298m in the database, is actually closer to 290m in height. Many consider it to be "effectively" a supertall, but it's really not.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2022, 5:03 PM
DENNAB

Quote:

There's a chance Reforma Colón Etapa I got downsized as per the SSC thread unfortunately. So Maybe just Monterrey.

San Francisco's hasn't been approved yet and who knows when that would start.

Philly's supertalls in the pipeline are conceptual but Seattle and Chicago at least have some concrete proposals with legit developers behind them.

Quote:
Yea, I wonder how long it'll be before the whole city is underwater, if that ever happens.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2022, 5:19 PM
Houston:Considered Good

The fact that Austin is getting a super tall with a population of 900,000+ is so impressive.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2022, 5:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double L View Post
The fact that Austin is getting a super tall with a population of 900,000+ is so impressive.
City proper maybe, actual metro pop over 2.2 million.(according to google) But yes, especially compared with Dallas and Houston it's punching above its weight.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2022, 5:37 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC123 View Post
But yes, especially compared with Dallas and Houston it's punching above its weight.
true that.

Houston and Dallas haven't built a tower over 800' since the mid-80s.

and now little old upstart Austin has 2 of them U/C, with one of them being a bona fide super-tall!

i'm guessing none of the old-schoolers ever saw that coming when we first joined SSP 20+ years ago.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Oct 13, 2022 at 5:51 PM.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2022, 6:01 PM

Austin of course is booming right now, because they did a good job attracting all those tech companies like Google and Tesla. Those companies will probably not go to Houston or Dallas, because they associate those cities with the "evil" oil industry that goes against all of their values.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2022, 6:16 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC123 View Post
City proper maybe, actual metro pop over 2.2 million.(according to google) But yes, especially compared with Dallas and Houston it's punching above its weight.
Rather like how Toronto was about 2.5M metro pop when it got First Canadian Place (1975), at 72 stories (298 m), is just shy of supertall status.

"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Oct 13, 2022, 7:21 PM
video et taceo

It (edit: First Canadian Place) was also something like the 6th tallest building in the world at that time.

Toronto is if anything less audacious than it once was. It had a 600m proposal in the 70s, I think it would have been around College Park.

If it weren't for the CN Tower it would really be a visual peer to San Francisco -- taller, admittedly, but also a little less rich in historic detail.

I have been on this forum for like 20 years and like all of us, I went pretty reliably from the "skyscrapers are awesome" bit through to "mixed-use urbanism with streetwalls and transit and etc."

Which is all good.

But maybe it's time to get back to the roots. 1,500 feet in my childhood hometown!

Old Posted Oct 13, 2022, 8:04 PM
I am the law!

Yeah, FCP is something like 292 metres to the top of the elevator core and 287 metres to the top of the parapet. Try and convince the world though. Brookfield Place in Calgary is also 5 to 10 metres lower than believed and it's a new tower. This is the world we live in.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2022, 8:16 PM
I am the law!

Concord Sky is being built on a sloped site. There isn't just one correct height. There's a range of correct heights. The rezoning process chose one of these heights. One can say its more official but, it doesn't make it anymore accurate.

The process also sees height differently than we do. Often architectural features above the roof aren't included in the height data or even measured in the drawings as they aren't relevant in the zoning process but they certainly are to all of us. We all measure and add them even though they aren't officially recognized.

I can appreciate sticking to 299 metres; just don't say it's a more accurate measurement.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions