HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Nov 9, 2022, 7:34 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post

Buffalo and Rochester have the nasally tone to their "A" sounds in words like "car". It's a really hard and short nasal tone.
same in the clev boddy!

in fact i get called out for that very word by my dayton spouse, which for this purpose i guess you can consider as a similar downstate ohio equivalent of downstate penn's pittsburgh. the pitts is more of the capitals of appalachia than a great lakes region city, so indeed there is a generally noticable difference in accent, albeit minor really.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2022, 7:18 AM

Toronto has a very impressive system of ravines.

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2...m-under-threat

Cleveland I believe is also criss-crossed by ravines.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2022, 3:09 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ not on the same scale as toronto's, but Milwaukee has some cool small ravines cut into the lakefront bluffs in Lake Park north of downtown.

this is a link to a great photo tour of Lake Park featuring some of the ravines:

http://kspot.org/trove/lakepark/lakepark.htm

Last edited by Steely Dan; Nov 23, 2022 at 5:17 PM.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2022, 2:04 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docere View Post

yes for cle, the most notable locally being the kingsbury run of torso murders serial killer infamy.

today they have ghost tours of all the urban ravines:

https://www.clevelandmetroparks.com/...avine-bus-tour

on a much brighter note are the cultural gardens:
https://clevelandculturalgardens.org...t-the-gardens/

and the emerald necklace parks that ring the area — which are recessed below the city:
https://greatruns.com/cleveland-emerald-necklace/

Old Posted Nov 23, 2022, 2:55 AM

I grew up in the Bathurst-St. Clair area, and Cedarvale ravine is nearby:

https://walkablog.ca/2020/03/07/favo...eimer-ravines/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIhqYr0TJXY

Old Posted Dec 21, 2022, 6:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Rochester has a nasaly accent, the same as in Buffalo, or Michigan, for that matter. Syracuse, not so sure. Syracuse is Central NY, not Western NY, and feels older and slightly more eastern. I think they have more of the flat Upstate accent you hear pretty much everywhere outside of the NYC orbit.

I went to college a little south of Syracuse, and the Finger Lakes accent was definitely different than where I grew up in Metro Detroit. But it wasn't an Eastern Seaboard-type accent either. To me, I can't tell any difference between Detroit and Buffalo/Rochester accents.
Yeah, Syracuse is sort of a hybrid Great Lakes/Interior NE city. It is located at transition zone between the Great Lake Plain and the Appalachian plateau. It's smaller, hillier and can feel more like Springfield, Ma or Scranton Pa than a traditional Great Lakes city. It's also closer to NYC/NE megalopolis than any of the midwest cities and the university gives it a LI/NJ influence.

Rochester and Buffalo feel more fully like Great Lakes industrial cities. They are a bit removed from the Cleveland-Detroit-Chicago core and arguably have more of a Eastern flavor. But, you can definitely see the similarities with NE Ohio and Southern MI. Certainly far more than with the industrial towns of Eastern PA, NJ, CT, RI, MA.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2022, 2:39 PM

Incidentally, there are a few small but scenic ravines along Chicago's North Shore that break up the mundane flat land that is Illinois. . . it's a pleasant drive through some of Chicagoland's old money 'burbs and there are some nice parks and beaches at a handful of these ravines. . .

. . .

Old Posted Dec 21, 2022, 2:49 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdivola View Post
Yeah, Syracuse is sort of a hybrid Great Lakes/Interior NE city. It is located at transition zone between the Great Lake Plain and the Appalachian plateau. It's smaller, hillier and can feel more like Springfield, Ma or Scranton Pa than a traditional Great Lakes city. It's also closer to NYC/NE megalopolis than any of the midwest cities and the university gives it a LI/NJ influence.

Rochester and Buffalo feel more fully like Great Lakes industrial cities. They are a bit removed from the Cleveland-Detroit-Chicago core and arguably have more of a Eastern flavor. But, you can definitely see the similarities with NE Ohio and Southern MI. Certainly far more than with the industrial towns of Eastern PA, NJ, CT, RI, MA.
funny, but anecdotally as a kid i knew people in cleveland from buffalo and rochester, but not from detroit or chicago. also in nyc today i know a couple people who grew up in both buff or rock and in the cleve. so there is definitely some bit of physical crossover too, thus similar accent. family business moving around i would guess.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2022, 4:08 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom In Chicago View Post
Incidentally, there are a few small but scenic ravines along Chicago's North Shore that break up the mundane flat land that is Illinois. . .

. . .
most famously depicted in the scenes of Cameron's dad's ferrari garage in "Ferris Bueller's Day Off", which is actually a private residence up in suburban Highland Park.

source: https://chicago.curbed.com/2014/5/30...errari-cameron

Old Posted Dec 21, 2022, 8:44 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
most famously depicted in the scenes of Cameron's dad's ferrari garage in "Ferris Bueller's Day Off", which is actually a private residence up in suburban Highland Park.

source: https://chicago.curbed.com/2014/5/30...errari-cameron
I want that garage. I wonder how much it would cost to build one like that...

Old Posted Dec 26, 2022, 2:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docere View Post

Cleveland's ravines are a lot deeper than most people expect. Downtown looks really impressive looming over the Cuyahoga Valley. Speaking of the Cuyahoga Valley, the bridges that crisscross it range from 100 feet tall near downtown to 215 feet above the river further south (the Valley View Bridge). Not so much these days, but in Cleveland's heyday the northern part of the valley felt like a massive gash in the heart of the city, a direct look down into hell:

Old Posted Dec 26, 2022, 2:14 AM

This famous 1973 photo of Cleveland's Clark St. bridge is one of the grimmest urban views ever captured on film.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2022, 5:43 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

^ driving that bridge was quite an experience. and funny enough, today absolutely nothing in the pic exists, from the bridge itself to the steel plant.

on a postive note, yes indeed cleveland is ringed with ravines, almost all of which are connected to parks. you can dip below to be in nature in some places and be completely removed from the city above and hike, ride horses, etc..

Old Posted Dec 30, 2022, 4:47 AM

A lot of Toronto's prime neighborhoods are located around the ravines (Rosedale, Forest Hill, North Toronto).

Old Posted Dec 31, 2022, 5:05 AM

Crazy how close Cleveland's industrial areas are to the city center. It's all right there next to downtown.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2022, 10:44 PM

The ravines are an important make-up of the of the city.

Toronto has many ravines and in fact the name "Toronto" is actually a Native word meaning "the meeting place" as so many rivers meet at the city emptying out into Lake Ontario.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2023, 12:33 AM
devout Pizzatarian

here are all of the US urban areas (2020) and Canadian CMAs (2021) with over 50,000 people that are located on the great lakes.

the only stipulation here is that the UA or CMA must contain some shoreline area directly on one of the five great lakes or their interconnecting waterways (st. mary's river, st. clair river/lake st. clair/detroit river, niagara river), so toledo and rochester count, whereas grand rapids and syracuse do not.

i know that UAs and CMAs don't line-up for a perfect apples to apples comaprison, but they're way closer than the MSA/CSA county mash-up game that includes absurd amounts of land area.

in the case of places located on one of the interconnecting waterways, i've assigned them to the lake they are closer/more oriented to.

Lake Michigan:

Chicago: 8,671,746
Milwaukee: 1,306,795
Green Bay: 224,156
Muskegon: 166,414
Racine: 134,877
Kenosha: 125,865
Holland: 107,034
Sheboygan: 74,369
Michigan City: 71,367
Benton Harbor: 61,888
Traverse City: 56,890

Lake Erie:

Detroit: 3,776,890
Cleveland: 1,712,178
Buffalo: 948,864
Toledo: 497,952
Windsor: 422,630
Lorain: 199,067
Erie: 187,820
Sandusky: 61,743
Monroe: 57,260

Lake Ontario:

Toronto: 6,202,225
Hamilton: 785,184
Rochester: 704,327
St. Catharines–Niagara: 433,604
Oshawa: 415,311
Kingston: 172,546

Lake Superior:

Thunder Bay: 123,258
Duluth: 119,411
Sault Ste. Mare: 76,731

Lake Huron:

Sarnia: 97,592
Port Huron: 82,226
Bay City: 68,472

kind of wild that Lakes Superior and Huron, for as VAST as they are, have so little in the way of actual cities along their shores.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Jan 3, 2023 at 5:16 AM.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2023, 12:56 AM

While maybe not a perfect comparison, it's interesting that Hamilton and Rochester are similar sized.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2023, 5:38 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ another interesting thing the data bears out is the lake erie/lake ontario inversion between the US and Canada as far as which lake each nation developed its major industrial lake port cities on.

canada has always been very st. lawrence river oriented since its fouding, hence lake ontario has always been great lake #1 for the nation, but in the US, the erie canal (and later the railroads) allowed commodities and goods from the interior to head straight to NYC, and circumvent niagara falls, lake ontario, and the st. lawrence river altogether, hence the US shore of lake ontario never developed a bunch of large industrial lake port cities like lakes erie and michigan did.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Jan 3, 2023 at 5:49 PM.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2023, 6:15 PM

Interesting look at the Lakes cities and I understand we're looking at individual cities that sprang up on the specific Lakes. But the main thing that pops into my mind looking at these lists:

Lorain-Elyria UA should really be considered part of Cleveland UA.

Same with Kenosha, Racine... aren't they contiguous with each other and with Chicago and Milwaukee... making it a huge UA?

And same with Hamilton and Toronto.

Kinda weird to separate contiguously urbanized development based on municipality, no?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions