HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Sep 15, 2020, 4:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
for the record i walked all over downtown including skid row last visit and i didn't notice los angeles as much different from nyc homeless situation. ours probably come and go more while yours are more camped in place because weather and etc though. not that we don't have our long term regulars.

anyway -- very nice chinese mall pics, but i cannot help but notice the haze. can you post some sky and cali fire related pics if you get a chance? of course that is in the news every day and we are all worried.
Didn’t notice the difference? Lol alright!

Old Posted Sep 15, 2020, 4:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
I think it's weird you went to skid row as a tourist. It's not even close to tourist stuff. Most locals don't go there. What is the reason? Curiosity? It's not an office or entertainment area. I can assure you most tourists dont have the time to do that.
Well I have been to LA many times. The truth is that I love LA and it is really sad to see it like this. I have always heard and read about skid row but never had the chance to go until this trip. I just went out of curiosity and I have to say it was sooooo depressing and very sad. I have traveled to many developing nations and I have never seen such a terrible scene. I still love California and I wish to move there one day. I truly hope things get better & get the situation under control.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2020, 3:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimol742 View Post
Well I have been to LA many times. The truth is that I love LA and it is really sad to see it like this. I have always heard and read about skid row but never had the chance to go until this trip. I just went out of curiosity and I have to say it was sooooo depressing and very sad. I have traveled to many developing nations and I have never seen such a terrible scene. I still love California and I wish to move there one day. I truly hope things get better & get the situation under control.
The good thing about the mess is people are getting more upset. So I think a change will happen, just not sure when.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2020, 4:47 PM
Crisp and Squishy

Great thread. What a fantastic collection of brilliant street art!

Old Posted Sep 15, 2020, 8:39 PM

Quote:
The good thing about the mess is people are getting more upset. So I think a change will happen, just not sure when.
I totally agree with you. The more people complain and criticize this situation the more likely it is for public officials to do something about it. But if people don’t do anything about it or think it’s ok for these people to live like this like Sopas Ej, these tent areas will continue to grow and the situation will continue to deteriorate even more. Let’s hope people wake up!

Old Posted Sep 15, 2020, 8:49 PM

Quote:
Didn’t notice the difference? Lol alright!
If you're not going into skid row, downtown is not that different from other cities. There's no tent cities in South Park, Grand Ave, Historic Core, Financial District etc. You might into some around 7th and Fig, but that's no different than Chinatown DC, State/Michigan in Chicago etc.

As someone who's been downtown twice in the last few weeks, i don't see anything new/worse tbh as far as homeless. It's just much quieter because of covid. All my friends in Chicago say same. They dont have the homeless, but they/the city is freaking out over crime this year. So is NYC. I'd rather deal with homeless.

Last edited by LA21st; Sep 15, 2020 at 8:59 PM.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2020, 3:16 AM

Quote:
...but i cannot help but notice the haze. can you post some sky and cali fire related pics if you get a chance? of course that is in the news every day and we are all worried.
You mean like this? Still smoky, but it has actually subsided somewhat. This was taken yesterday evening (Monday 9.14.2020). Reminds me of the sunsets of my youth, back in the 1980s when it was smoggier.

Photo by me

More random pics from yesterday, Monday, 9.14.2020; we strolled a bit after dinner.

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Sep 16, 2020, 4:08 AM

More random photos, taken this evening, Tuesday, 9.15.2020.

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

And this song was stuck in my head at work today: Brings me back to my 6th grade lunch dances!
Video Link

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Sep 16, 2020, 5:30 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

^ you linked us some classic dayton funk --- good work lol!

thx for the fire sky pic and nice with the new ones -- i recognize some of it.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2020, 3:06 AM

Quote:
^ you linked us some classic dayton funk --- good work lol!

thx for the fire sky pic and nice with the new ones -- i recognize some of it.
I saw Roger perform live at Disneyland at the end of my senior year in high school on Grad Nite lol!

A few random pics taken this evening, Wednesday 9.16.2020, a stroll after our dinner.

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Sep 17, 2020, 5:23 PM

^ I love that bridge... but the chain link fence they installed to prevent suicides really detracts from it in-person. Especially when viewed from street-level.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2020, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAsam View Post
^ I love that bridge... but the chain link fence they installed to prevent suicides really detracts from it in-person. Especially when viewed from street-level.
Yeah, I wish they would remove those chain-link fences. They were put in a few years ago as a temporary measure. Last year they came up with several different barrier designs of which I believe they still have to decide which will be the winning design. I just wish they would leave it the way it is.

Here's an article from last year, from the Pasadena Star News:

Pasadena Star News

Link to story: https://www.pasadenastarnews.com/201...cide-barriers/

Here is a very recent article about the matter:
https://www.pasadenanow.com/main/cit...ation-efforts/

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Sep 18, 2020, 2:40 AM

Photos taken this afternoon, Thursday, 9.17.2020.

Oh this stubborn fire. The air seems clearer, but according to the news, the Bobcat Fire has grown larger.

Photo by me

Firefighters have been doing backfires to help save the Mt. Wilson Observatory and all the telecommunications antennae; many of the LA area's TV and radio transmission towers are located on Mt. Wilson.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Sep 18, 2020, 3:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
Yeah, I wish they would remove those chain-link fences. They were put in a few years ago as a temporary measure. Last year they came up with several different barrier designs of which I believe they still have to decide which will be the winning design. I just wish they would leave it the way it is.

Here's an article from last year, from the Pasadena Star News:

Pasadena Star News

Link to story: https://www.pasadenastarnews.com/201...cide-barriers/

Here is a very recent article about the matter:
https://www.pasadenanow.com/main/cit...ation-efforts/
. It's so incredibly unnecessary. People will kill themselves if they really want to. Climbing an additional 2 feet will not stop anyone. What a waste of money

Old Posted Sep 18, 2020, 4:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
Photos taken this afternoon, Thursday, 9.17.2020.

Oh this stubborn fire. The air seems clearer, but according to the news, the Bobcat Fire has grown larger.

Photo by me

Firefighters have been doing backfires to help save the Mt. Wilson Observatory and all the telecommunications antennae; many of the LA area's TV and radio transmission towers are located on Mt. Wilson.
Is unfortunately now burning through the incredible pine forests between 5000 and 9000 feet. Buckhorn campground, mount waterman, kratka ridge, islip saddle, devils punchbowl... It has gone through all of my favorite areas that I visit frequently. I'm heart broken as it's altered forever

Old Posted Sep 18, 2020, 4:33 PM

Beautiful bridge. Too bad about the fencing. Unfortunately, there's a good reason locals call it the suicide bridge.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2020, 12:18 AM

Few random photos taken today, Friday, 9.18.2020 during my lunch break from work, and one on my drive home... well, not directly home. I had to pick something up first before going home.

What a difference a week makes. Last I heard, the Bobcat Fire is now 13% contained. A week ago today I was sitting among falling ashes trying to sip a Vietnamese iced coffee; instead today I'm sitting in relatively cleaner air, sipping a hot coffee on my lunch break.

Photo by me

Some people like them young.

Photo by me

Oh yeah, it's almost Moon Festival time. Moon cakes, mmm!

Photo by me

Bluer skies (with some smoke) for my drive homeward...

Photo by me

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Sep 19, 2020, 4:24 AM

Quote:
If you're not going into skid row, downtown is not that different from other cities. There's no tent cities in South Park, Grand Ave, Historic Core, Financial District etc. You might into some around 7th and Fig, but that's no different than Chinatown DC, State/Michigan in Chicago etc.

As someone who's been downtown twice in the last few weeks, i don't see anything new/worse tbh as far as homeless. It's just much quieter because of covid. All my friends in Chicago say same. They dont have the homeless, but they/the city is freaking out over crime this year. So is NYC. I'd rather deal with homeless.
Well let’s not forget LA has still more murders and violent crime than NYC having just half the population.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2020, 4:33 PM

Quote:
Well let’s not forget LA has still more murders and violent crime than NYC having just half the population.
Not this year. NYC is well above LA in murders. I think it was higher than LA last year too. Anyway, the murder rate by be better, but it's not stopping from NYers complaining on soclal media about the rising crime in the past few months. It's not a good year for them either.

Lets not act like LA is dangerous. It's not NYC, but it's still one of the safer big cities. You might equate homeless with crime, but they're not really a threat. Some might be crazy, but that's in any city.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2020, 4:35 PM

Quote:
LA does not have more murders and crime than NYC. On a per capita basis, it's higher, but neither are particularly violent compared to Chicago, Philly, etc

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos