HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 11, 2023, 4:32 PM
FYHA

2801 Kirby Drive

Something potentially big here, according to hindesky on HAIF.

Quote:
Exciting news!!!

When I talked with the demolition workers, I asked them if they knew what they was going to built on this property. They said a 40 story apartment project. I told them no it was going to be a 5 story medical building and showed them the rendering. Turns out they were 100% correct. Just went by after getting my car washed at Mr Car Wash and I spot a sign for "Southern Land Communities" a division of Southern Land Company (not to be confused with Southernland Communities, which sells farm and ranch properties). They are out of Nashville, Tenn. and are a developer & construction company

Southern Land Communities does indeed develop high rise apartments.
There's also this from CREguy13 on HAIF

Quote:
I can confirm! Been waiting for news to become public or Hindesky's on-the-ground reporting would pull through as it always does. My sources indicate it is taller than 40 floors and that it is planned to be mixed-use, not solely MF and retail...
There was previously a proposal to develop a 5-story medical office building on this site by Clay Development and Construction.

The site was previously home to a Wells Fargo bank and has been undergoing demolition for the past few weeks.

4/30 c/o hindesky on HAIF

5/6 - c/o hindesky on HAIF

Today c/o hindesky on HAIF

Old Posted May 11, 2023, 6:10 PM

Wow, that is exciting news. Especially when it comes out of nowhere.

Old Posted May 11, 2023, 8:59 PM
FYHA

State National Bank Renovation / Moxy Houston Downtown

Rendering c/o John T. Campo & Associates

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/...Pos=0#cxrecs_s

Quote:
Exclusive: New-to-Houston Moxy by Marriott hotel to open downtown soon

By Jeff Jeffrey – Senior reporter, Houston Business Journal
May 11, 2023

Downtown will soon have a new-to-Houston hotel open in the former State National Building, one that the project’s developers say will help to revitalize the area’s nightlife scene.

The historic 13-story building has been revamped to house a Moxy by Marriott, which is scheduled to open in either late June or early July, depending on when the city grants a certificate of occupancy. Moxy Houston Downtown will be located at 412 Main St. on the block of Main Street between Prairie and Preston streets.

Houston-based LMG General Contractors oversaw the construction of Moxy Houston Downtown, while New Orleans-based Campo Architecture & Interior Design served as lead architect on the project. The plan to convert the State National Building into Moxy Houston Downtown was first announced in 2021.

The Moxy brand is built around the idea of making a hotel stay as fun and energetic as possible.

Rather than checking in at a front desk, for example, guests check in at the hotel’s lobby bar and are treated to a complimentary cocktail along with their room key. The lobby will also feature a mechanical bull, while meeting rooms will have ping-pong tables in place of traditional conference tables.

“With the Moxy brand, everything is times 1,000,” said General Manager Terry Hix. “Once you’re ‘Moxified,’ you’ll never think of a hotel the same way again.”

Moxy Houston Downtown was initially scheduled to open earlier this year. However, Hix said the construction process has taken longer than expected because of the historic nature of the building. The former State National Building, built in 1923, is one of the few remaining early neoclassical office towers built in the 20th century.

The building features a number of notable architectural features that led to it being designated as a historic property by the city’s Office of Preservation.

“Almost everything had to be custom-built to be able to work in a historic building,” Hix said.

Old Posted May 16, 2023, 5:31 PM
Houston:Considered Good

The Moxy Hotel is great for the historic district. The historic district is in good shape right now and this will help sustain its economic health long term.

Old Posted May 18, 2023, 6:01 PM

Yep. Market Square Park seems like the most “neighborhoody” part of downtown and the most active. Especially on Friday and Saturday nights. I wish there were more lots to develop on to increase the density even further. Especially for more residents. I hope they have mixed use on that last remaining lot on the park. Praying for office mixed with residential.

Old Posted May 18, 2023, 6:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory View Post
Yep. Market Square Park seems like the most “neighborhoody” part of downtown and the most active. Especially on Friday and Saturday nights. I wish there were more lots to develop on to increase the density even further. Especially for more residents. I hope they have mixed use on that last remaining lot on the park. Praying for office mixed with residential.
I don't live in Houston, but it seems like they missed and opportunity with 1550 On The Green, which could have been mixed use. But isn't there an ugly budget hotel right behind there? Maybe they can demolish it in a few years and build a tall residential in its place.

Old Posted May 18, 2023, 8:38 PM
FYHA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCReid View Post
I don't live in Houston, but it seems like they missed and opportunity with 1550 On The Green, which could have been mixed use. But isn't there an ugly budget hotel right behind there? Maybe they can demolish it in a few years and build a tall residential in its place.
Not necessarily. The parkside space is a mix of retail & restaurant. 1550 was supposed to be the office tower of the trio Skanska has plans for the blocks they own in this part of Downtown.

There is a hotel/residential tower planned for block 276 while an office tower with retail components is proposed for block 251.

Old Posted May 18, 2023, 8:39 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCReid View Post
That hotel isn't that old; 10-15 years maybe. It's not going anywhere and is in a prime location as far as hotel space is...close to the GRB. The fact that it's relatively affordable makes it even more desirable. Plus, there are several open lots in the vicinity ripe for development.

Old Posted May 19, 2023, 4:11 PM
FYHA

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
That hotel isn't that old; 10-15 years maybe. It's not going anywhere and is in a prime location as far as hotel space is...close to the GRB. The fact that it's relatively affordable makes it even more desirable. Plus, there are several open lots in the vicinity ripe for development.
This.

I started thinking about how Discovery Green has changed development in this portion of downtown.

I recall walking through the block where One Park Place currently stands about 2004 or so when it was still part of the Houston Center Gardens. The balcony jutting out from 4 Houston Center over Austin Street made more sense design-wise as it had a decent view of what was the parkland toward the GRB at the time.

Anyway, I had thoughts of what COULD be - but didn't think they would necessarily come to fruition. The specific block I mentioned, I really thought would be as good as it got and that was well enough.

People also tend to forget that while there was some drop-off in proposals post early 80s bust, the pipeline started opening back up as early as 1987-1988, though clearly not in any boom-like state. Around then, there was a plan to build a 40-50 story hotel on that space that would've been the convention center's primary lodging provider. I think it got a lot more discussion around the time Houston hosted the G-7 Summit in 1990. It stayed around for a while till it was reduced in size during the 1990s, and ultimately ended up across the street as the current Hilton Americas, which was completed in 2003.

I have been visiting Discovery Green since the first week it opened and now I can't imagine how the previous configuration could have existed for 20+ years prior to the creation of the current park. The fact that there is a decent mix of lodging and still room for more (and others may be coming soon - see the Home2/Tru and possible HI Express and W Hotels among others), along with dining options that now are in and effectively ring the park at multiple points and the residential towers within a block or two - all proof of how an engaging and well-programmed civic space can make a huge difference.

This also doesn't take into consideration the mixed-use district that Crane wants to build a couple of blocks north and east near Minute Maid that will likely keep with the pedestrian friendly tone established by DG, as well as the two additional blocks Skanska wants to develop along the Dallas Street corridor that was improved a few years back. So much potential, and I think that something will come of it much sooner than later.

Old Posted May 22, 2023, 8:26 PM
FYHA

Rice University

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/...Pos=0#cxrecs_s

Quote:
Rice University to build new residential colleges amid expected increase in enrollment

By Sofia Gonzalez – Reporter, Houston Business Journal
May 22, 2023

Rice University will soon have new residential colleges as the school works to enhance its physical infrastructure amid an expected increase in enrollment.

The project includes two new residential colleges, each with more than 300 beds, accompanied by dining, Rice President Reginald DesRoches and Kelly Fox, vice president for finance and administration, said in a May 19 message to the university’s community.

The buildings are expected to be completed by fall 2026. The Houston Business Journal has reached out for additional information on the projects.
Also in the piece/press release - Old Sid Richardson College will be demolished. The new residential college bearing that name was completed a couple of years ago.

New & Old Sid image c/o Anslow Bryant

Old Posted May 25, 2023, 12:56 PM
FYHA

The Ion

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/...n-odegard.html

Quote:
Face to Face: The Ion's executive director has big plans for the new district

By Brianna Griff – Associate editor, Houston Business Journal
May 24, 2023

The Ion stands in Houston’s Midtown as a symbol of the future and a reference to the city’s past. The sleek building opened in 2021 after an expansive $100 million renovation to bring the 1939 Sears department store into this century.

The innovation hub plays host to several technology giants, such as Chevron, Microsoft and Transwestern, but the vision is to be more than the landlord of innovators. The Ion District will eventually stretch across the 16 acres controlled by Rice Management Co. to become a destination for entrepreneurs and collaborators to gather for work and play, with retail, restaurants and, potentially, multifamily living.

The Ion stands in Houston’s Midtown as a symbol of the future and a reference to the city’s past. The sleek building opened in 2021 after an expansive $100 million renovation to bring the 1939 Sears department store into this century.

The innovation hub plays host to several technology giants, such as Chevron, Microsoft and Transwestern, but the vision is to be more than the landlord of innovators. The Ion District will eventually stretch across the 16 acres controlled by Rice Management Co. to become a destination for entrepreneurs and collaborators to gather for work and play, with retail, restaurants and, potentially, multifamily living.

Old Posted May 25, 2023, 1:27 PM
FYHA

BCM McNair Campus / Health Sciences Park

-Lillie and Roy Cullen Tower

https://www.bisnow.com/houston/news/...n-tower-119108

Quote:
Construction Starts On Baylor College Of Medicine's 503K SF Medical Education Tower

May 24, 2023
Maddy McCarty, Bisnow Houston

Eight decades ago, when Baylor College of Medicine first established itself in Texas Medical Center, medical knowledge doubled every 50 years. Today, medical knowledge doubles every 73 days, and Baylor College of Medicine is bursting at the seams as it races to keep up.

To that end, the college is adding a 503K SF, 11-story medical education and research building to its campus. The Lillie and Roy Cullen Tower will be the first building of Baylor’s planned Health Sciences Park. It is expected to open in 2026.

The project is adjacent to TMC’s Helix Park, a 37-acre project that will support healthcare, life sciences and other business. The Cullen Tower will be on Butler Boulevard, in proximity to the other Baylor medical buildings within TMC.

The new tower will be a medical education facility for Baylor College of Medicine and a health science professional school, said Bob Pulito, president emeritus and principal at SLAM Collaborative and lead architect for the project.

“It’s probably one of the largest medical education facilities in the country right now,” Pulito said at a Wednesday event celebrating the kickoff of construction. “It will set a new benchmark for medical education.”

It will also be the most technologically advanced medical education building in the nation, according to Dr. Paul Klotman, president, CEO and executive dean of the college.

“I have been to the top 20 medical schools' educational buildings, and nothing comes close to this in terms of all the things you need for modern-day medical school learning,” Klotman said at the event.

Educational features include a 35K SF simulation lab that will simulate exams, labs and other situations to train medical professionals, Pulito said.
https://www.bcm.edu/news/baylor-coll...xpansion-plans

Images c/o BCM Website on this project

Quote:
The Lillie and Roy Cullen Health Sciences Tower will be a new education and research facility for Baylor College of Medicine. Design by The S/L/A/M Collaborative. Rendering by ARS Longa.

Quote:
Lillie and Roy Cullen Health Sciences Tower, entrance rendering. Design by The S/L/A/M Collaborative. Rendering by ARS Longa.

Quote:
Lillie and Roy Cullen Health Sciences Tower, interior rendering. Design by The S/L/A/M Collaborative. Rendering by ARS Longa.

Old Posted May 26, 2023, 6:30 PM
FYHA

1550 On The Green

c/o cityliving on HAIF

Old Posted Jun 2, 2023, 4:12 PM
FYHA

1550 On The Green

c/o cityliving on HAIF

Residences on Westheimer

c/o cityliving on HAIF

Fairfield Waugh

c/o hindesky on HAIF

Fairmont Museum District III

c/o hindesky on HAIF

UNITi Montrose

c/o hindesky on HAIF

Old Posted Jun 3, 2023, 1:05 AM

Really nice series of photos. Reminds me of the post a while back from Edale saying something about there being nothing in Houston outside of downtown. It was good for laughs.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2023, 5:32 PM
FYHA

Quote:
Originally Posted by AviationGuy View Post
Really nice series of photos. Reminds me of the post a while back from Edale saying something about there being nothing in Houston outside of downtown. It was good for laughs.
Anyone who says something like that is just grossly misinformed or has no clue to begin with.

I sort of had to roll my eyes through good portions of the Houston density thread in the City Discussions section for similar reasons - especially the poster who was showing some of the photos that I had linked in the project threads that were supposed examples of a lack of pedestrian friendly amenities or transit - when each project was within 1-4 blocks max of all the things they said that were lacking.

I don't know what it is, but I think the city in particular (and the area to some lesser extent) is hard to understand if you're not that familiar with it, only read stats online, or have not visited regularly or even recently. That's why I started a few different threads in the Texas/South Central section simply because there IS so much happening with regard to developments that aren't high-rise or skyscraper related that I really just needed to put it somewhere so I could keep track.

I also try to keep the General Developments thread going as well, and have started a few separate ones for larger projects, but even a few of those slip through (the Ismaili Center - a legitimately huge and IMO transformative project - is probably the best example). HAIF does a fairly good job of tracking just about everything in town and around the metro but even then not everything is covered and not everyone visits that site.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2023, 2:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wattleigh View Post
Anyone who says something like that is just grossly misinformed or has no clue to begin with.

I sort of had to roll my eyes through good portions of the Houston density thread in the City Discussions section for similar reasons - especially the poster who was showing some of the photos that I had linked in the project threads that were supposed examples of a lack of pedestrian friendly amenities or transit - when each project was within 1-4 blocks max of all the things they said that were lacking.

I don't know what it is, but I think the city in particular (and the area to some lesser extent) is hard to understand if you're not that familiar with it, only read stats online, or have not visited regularly or even recently. That's why I started a few different threads in the Texas/South Central section simply because there IS so much happening with regard to developments that aren't high-rise or skyscraper related that I really just needed to put it somewhere so I could keep track.

I also try to keep the General Developments thread going as well, and have started a few separate ones for larger projects, but even a few of those slip through (the Ismaili Center - a legitimately huge and IMO transformative project - is probably the best example). HAIF does a fairly good job of tracking just about everything in town and around the metro but even then not everything is covered and not everyone visits that site.
Really appreciate your hard work on this.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2023, 4:51 PM

[QUOTE=Wattleigh;9959441]1550 On The Green

c/o cityliving on HAIF

Great pictures!

You know, we haven't had Houston featured on the City Photos section in a very long time.

Last edited by Bailey; Jun 6, 2023 at 7:26 PM.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2023, 7:29 PM
FYHA

1550 On The Green

c/o hindesky on HAIF

The Allen / Thompson Hotel

c/o hindesky on HAIF

Hanover Buffalo Bayou

c/o hindesky on HAIF

Old Posted Jun 7, 2023, 12:42 AM

The city is changing so fast that much of the time I can't figure out (without researching) where the photos were taken from.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations