HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

South Street Seaport Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 12:04 AM
New Yorker for life

http://www.downtownexpress.com/2015/...t-jon-stewart/

Seaport Watch

March 26, 2015
by: Josh Rogers

Quote:
City Councilmember Margaret Chin sounded like she took a particularly tough line this month against the proposed 500-foot tower at the South Street Seaport, but it wasn’t nearly as forceful as we’re pretty sure many of the other opponents of the project hope.

“It’s not going to happen under my watch,” Chin told Crain’s March 1.

UnderCover has been wondering what the “it” refers to, and Chin has been reluctant to clarify her remark. Now we can understand why.

She remains opposed to a tower at the New Market Building, but her line in the sand apparently only refers to the current proposal by Howard Hughes Corp., which if it proceeds, will certainly be altered anyway, given that the city landmarks review has not begun, and there would undoubtedly be negotiations afterward if it reached the City Council for a vote.

When we spoke last week, Chin did not say she was guaranteeing the New Market will be restored and preserved as she and other opponents hope, or even that the project will be within the 350-foot zoning limit, which she backed two years ago.

“Can’t answer that right now,” she said, “we’ll have to see.”

As of now, the project is in limbo, so Chin’s reluctance to take a tougher line is probably either caution on her part or her belief that a not-so-different version of the plan might start moving again.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 1:39 AM
DENNAB

She says it's "not going to happen under her watch" but I take it it's not really her decision in the end. Isn't this thing as of right?

Also, with buildings two or three times taller than this one going up all over the city, can someone remind me why they care? Someone?

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 1:49 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
She says it's "not going to happen under her watch" but I take it it's not really her decision in the end. Isn't this thing as of right?

Also, with buildings two or three times taller than this one going up all over the city, can someone remind me why they care? Someone?
It's not as-of-right, that's what all of the uproar is about. Howard Hughes had been trying to get a plan that received support before placing it in the approvals process where it could be killed. That's not unusual. The city council members whose district these proposals sit in have considerable power over whether or not they get past the council. It's their chance to be the big lion in the room.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 1:49 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post

She must not of gotten the memo. Maybe she should check out Hunsers supertall page to realize the other developments that are way taller.

I don't think she likes Howard Hughes. Somebody had to make a donation to her to fight this. It just seems asinine that she would focus all her efforts on this, especially when the surroundings are much taller.

That and Verre. Two developments she fought hard to limit.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 1:51 AM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
It's not as-of-right, that's what all of the uproar is about. Howard Hughes had been trying to get a plan that received support before placing it in the approvals process where it could be killed. That's not unusual. The city council members whose district these proposals sit in have considerable power over whether or not they get past the council.
In that case it sounds like this is a no go unless strings are pulled.

But like I said before, why aren't they all butthurt about the potential 1400+ footer about to rise across the street from this one. It seems/I hope they don't have any say over shops proposal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
She must not of gotten the memo. Maybe she should check out Hunsers supertall page to realize the other developments that are way taller.

I don't think she likes Howard Hughes. Seems political to me.
Ha! Fair enough, it is comical to think that a building that would be maybe 250th tallest in the city causes so much uproar

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 2:03 AM
New Yorker for life

It's been pulled back (unofficially on hold) until some type of agreement can be made.

Some politicians want Hughes off the scene so another developer can be bought in.

Quote:
http://www.nydailynews.com/opinion/e...icle-1.2132273

Councilwoman Margaret Chin says she can’t abide the $305 million plan from the Howard Hughes Corp. to reboot the struggling Seaport, because the proposal would place a luxury residential high-rise at the edge of the historic district.

She’s backed by Manhattan Borough President Gale Brewer, who preposterously compared the project to “building a tower at Colonial Williamsburg,” never mind the forest of skyscrapers that surround the Seaport.

Because of Chin’s prerogative as the local representative, the project languishes without a vote even though the developer shrank the tower from 50 to 42 stories — not enough to mollify critics who want no stories at all.

It falls to de Blasio to push back against a reign of local sentiment gone amok, and make a forceful case to the Council — with arm-twisting if that’s what it takes — for a job-producing project of citywide consequence.

...New York is one city, not 51. It cannot stop dead for elected obstructionists turning local agendas into everyone’s problem. De Blasio needs to show who’s boss.

And as I've been saying, that is the issue here.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2015, 2:22 AM
Homo sapiens sapiens

Quote:
De Blasio needs to show who’s boss.
De Blasio would be a badass if he got this through council.

~ My Stamford, CT Thread ~~ My Danbury, CT Thread ~

Old Posted May 14, 2015, 6:18 PM

City accelerates demolition of two deteriorating South Street Seaport buildings
Internal emails reveal city officials aimed to tear down the New Market Building and landmarked Tin Building, which were initially proposed to be razed as part of a controversial redevelopment plan.

Joe Anuta
May 14, 2015

Quote:
The city is eager to demolish two decaying buildings on a portion of the South Street Seaport where developer Howard Hughes Corp. has proposed a controversial project featuring a 494-foot residential tower, Crain’s has learned.

The New Market Building and the landmarked Tin Building were part of the old Fulton Fish Market, and are in the footprint of the Howard Hughes’ project, which also includes a number of infrastructure improvements and affordable housing.

"The Tin and New Market Buildings are supported by piles that have deteriorated to the point that they cannot hold the structures above it,” a spokeswoman for the city’s Economic Development Corp. said in a statement, referring to the structures' wooden pier supports. An inspection last month also revealed portions of both edifices were in danger of collapsing, according to the corporation.

The EDC said Wednesday that it would demolish a portion of the rear of both buildings called the cooler areas, and then assess whether or not the rest of the structures needed to be razed, as well. (Tearing off part of the building removes a dangerous structure, the EDC noted, but also puts less weight on the shoddy pilings.)

But according to emails obtained by Crain's, back in April city officials already knew they would tear down both buildings in their entirety, and had aimed to begin the demolition June 8, a month or two earlier than the current plans.

An EDC spokeswoman attempted to explain the discrepancy in a series of statements, saying both that the plans had changed since the April emails, and that when the EDC inspects the buildings after taking down the cooler areas, they anticipate that the rest will have to come down, too.

The demolitions, which need several approvals and will be detailed to the local community board in the coming weeks, would have happened anyway if the controversial Howard Hughes plan were approved. But now the city, instead of the Dallas-based developer, will be swinging the wrecking ball. Howard Hughes has pledged to rebuild the Tin Building in a slightly different location as part of its proposal.

Also on Wednesday, a group opposed to the seaport development sent a letter to officials claiming any demolition plans would violate several city and state laws. The project is in jeopardy because it hinges on City Council approval, and the local council representative, Margaret Chin, opposes any residential construction on a parcel north of the seaport where Howard Hughes wants to build a 43-story tower. Supporters say the tower, which will include a middle school, will generate revenue to pay for $310 million worth of public improvements.

Separately, Howard Hughes already has approvals to build a retail center with a public space atop its roof on nearby Pier 17.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2015, 8:12 PM

Controversial Seaport Tower Could Be Shorter Than 40 Stories

Monday, June 8, 2015
Jessica Dailey

Quote:
Howard Hughes Corporation haters have found a lot to dislike about the developer's ongoing/in-the-works plans to redevelop the South Street Seaport, but chief among their complaints is the hotel and condo tower HHC wants to build beside Pier 17. Because of backlash over the height—the first version was to rise 52 stories—the developer has already asked SHoP Architects to redesign it once, but another new iteration may be coming. In a recent letter to Mayor Bill de Blasio (sent after an anti-Seaport development group wrote him a letter), HHC CEO David Weinreb said that they are "working on a significantly revised plan to address the height issue." SHoP already lopped off 156 feet, bringing the tower down to 42 stories, but opponents say that it is still way too tall and it's not appropriate for next to the historic district.

Representatives for HHC would not elaborate on what could change with the plans, but here's what Weinreb says in his letter, first reported by DNAinfo:

While we challenged our architect, SHoP, to design an architecturally significant building appropriate for its location, the one Seaport Working Group guideline that our proposal did not completely satisfy was the request for a shorter building on the "New Market" site. Following thoughtful planning and discussions with local officials and members of the community, we are now working on a significantly revised plan to address the height issue as well while retaining the vibrancy required for the district to be successful.
As we work through the height concerns, we are also striving to retain as much of the necessary infrastructure improvements and requested community benefits as possible, including the following:

· Provide a long-term solution for the Seaport Museum.
· Reconstruct the deteriorating waterfront infrastructure.
· Restore the Tin Building and develop a best in class food market.
· Complete the East River Esplanade from Pier 16 to the Brooklyn Bridge.
· Improve waterfront access for the entire Seaport District while at the same time
ensuring its resiliency against future "Sandy" events.
· Provide additional community amenities, including new improved open space,
community facilities, and possibly a school.
· Affordable Housing.
· Creative office space.

Parts of the redevelopment that will affect the historic district already been going through ULURP, but there hasn't been much action in a few months, save for more people speaking out against the plans. It seems like HHC hit the breaks on everything, as Weinreb's letter says they will present a "revised proposal" in the coming weeks.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2015, 8:16 PM
BANNED

The current rendering on SHoP's website looks somewhat different.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2015, 8:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR Ewing View Post
The current rendering on SHoP's website looks somewhat different.
You are right!

http://www.shoparc.com/projects/seaport-district/

Old Posted Jun 8, 2015, 8:33 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

I hope they let SHoP build the tower as they desire. They are too good of a firm to let the NIMBYS dictate their direction. Peter Poon, Kaufman sure, but not SHoP!

The whole seaport height limit is just a political game.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2015, 9:53 PM
DENNAB

This is such a cool building, screw those NIMBY's.

Can't wait to see the 1000+ footer SHoP comes up with on the adjacent site.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2015, 10:01 PM
N40° 46.8925', W073° 57.3

Yea! Screw them! I too can't wait to see what they come up with 80 South as well.

I do like the current seaport tower design and it would be a shame if it gets chopped up more. I think this tower would look really nice as a supertall.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2015, 9:16 PM
N40° 46.8925', W073° 57.3

No News Is Bad News for Critics of Planned Seaport Tower
http://www.tribecatrib.com/content/n....hektmCoZ.dpuf

Old Posted Jun 17, 2015, 3:37 AM
Homo sapiens sapiens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical_Gotham View Post
No News Is Bad News for Critics of Planned Seaport Tower
http://www.tribecatrib.com/content/n....hektmCoZ.dpuf
Gees, these NIMBY groups must be quite depressed at the end of the day when nothing seems to go their way, given the amount of energy they muster up to rebel against the height of a building in Manhattan. I only feel sorry for them.

“This could be your last chance to oppose the dreaded tower proposal,” Save Our Seaport wrote on its Facebook page.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2015, 2:41 PM
Show me the blueprints

You see, it's about the act of opposition for them, not whether the end "goal" of defeating something is successful or not, or even the objective for that matter.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jun 17, 2015, 4:48 PM
Homo sapiens sapiens

It sounds like there's a larger issue at hand, and it does't really have to do with skyscrapers.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2015, 10:57 PM
Registered (Nimby Ab)User

Location: At a computer, wasting my life on a skyscraper website
This project is New York's version of Chicago's Lake Point Tower, the only tower built on the other side of Michigan avenue (due to a legal loophole that the developer found). This is a much nicer design but it still sticks out like a (slightly less) sore thumb Imo.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2015, 3:43 PM

South Street Seaport Among America's Most Endangered Sites

Wednesday, June 24, 2015
Zoe Rosenberg

Quote:
The National Trust For Historic Preservation has rolled out its annual list of America's Most Endangered Historic Places, and it should come as no surprise that one of New York's own has a position of prominence on the docket. South Street Seaport is singled out as one of the most vulnerable historic sites in the country. The looming possibility of a 40-story tower and a new glassy mall at the site contends with the Seaport's historic importance in the city's early maritime industry, and its status as home to the city's largest concentration of restored early maritime buildings. The National Trust says the new development at the hands of Howard Hughes Corporation would "disrupt the look, feel and low-scale historic character of the Seaport."

The designation is a huge win for preservationists who have long been rallying against new development at the East River waterfront site. The National Trust has a winning track record for preserving the sites it names to the list; of the 250 sites that have been appointed to-date, only a few have been lost.

The redevelopment of the Seaport area has been in play for nearly a decade, but issues surrounding its proposed redevelopment as a glass-speckled catch-all area have recently come to a head. HHC has revised their plan to bring a 52-story hotel and condo tower to the waterfront site, but even the proposal of a shorter 40-story tower is not sitting well with the city. HHC's CEO recently sent a letter to Mayor de Blasio detailing how the development company may reform their plans, which includes addressing height concerns for the tower, restoring the historic Tin Building, and finding a long-term solution for the Seaport Museum, which HHC wanted to relocate to move ahead with its redevelopment plan.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development