HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #401  
Old Posted Aug 2, 2019, 3:28 PM
scleeb scleeb is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Irvington/Grant Park - NE PDX
Posts: 109
Wrigley Field

This would be so awesome! It would be very reminiscent of Wrigley. Tucked into a mixed use neighborhood. SO AWESOME
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #402  
Old Posted Aug 2, 2019, 4:39 PM
PdX Farr PdX Farr is offline
RCTID
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Portland
Posts: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post
WOW!

The mall is dead, but wow, what an opportunity with such a huge piece of land. It's a one in a lifetime opportunity.

They could extend the streetcar a few blocks further east to connect directly to it. The MAX already has a fantastic connection to it.

What an opportunity! This would make so much sense if they could pull it off.
Honest question, does anyone truly use the street car for commuting? I would hardly think it would be helpful with crowd control pre/post game.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #403  
Old Posted Aug 2, 2019, 5:29 PM
subterranean's Avatar
subterranean subterranean is offline
homesick alien
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Portland
Posts: 2,873
Quote:
Originally Posted by PdX Farr View Post
Honest question, does anyone truly use the street car for commuting? I would hardly think it would be helpful with crowd control pre/post game.
If they do, it's about as fast as walking and a lot slower than riding a bike. I view the streetcar as primarily for tourists and the elderly.
__________________
Having more does not keep you from wanting more. And if you are always wanting more...I can tell you from experience, happiness will never come.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #404  
Old Posted Aug 2, 2019, 6:56 PM
eric cantona's Avatar
eric cantona eric cantona is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 559
Quote:
Originally Posted by subterranean View Post
If they do, it's about as fast as walking and a lot slower than riding a bike. I view the streetcar as primarily for tourists and the elderly.
I used to live right next to a streetcar stop in the Lloyd and would use it to get to a job in inner SE, or to go to the pearl. Definitely faster than walking in either direction, but not at the same level of MAX.

That said, the lack of speed and capacity would likely account for a very small percentage of people attending a baseball game. Having MAX in close proximity is really where the effectiveness of transit will be most useful.

Overall, I think this is a much more promising location for baseball. Terminal 2 will require so much infrastructure that the public price tag will be too steep, in my estimation. I'd like to see how this huge edifice will fit in the neighborhood before coming to any conclusions. Assume it can't be worse than the mall and parking garages surrounding it, though.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #405  
Old Posted Aug 3, 2019, 4:52 AM
green_man green_man is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 37
Lloyd Center could work beautifully (though it remains to be seen how the surrounding neighborhoods react to these rumors). Efforts to rejuvenate the mall have had mixed success at best (is House of Blues ever gonna happen?). The only thing about Terminal 2 that wowed me was the waterfront location.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #406  
Old Posted Aug 3, 2019, 5:22 AM
urbanlife's Avatar
urbanlife urbanlife is offline
A before E
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Milwaukie, Oregon
Posts: 11,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric cantona View Post
I used to live right next to a streetcar stop in the Lloyd and would use it to get to a job in inner SE, or to go to the pearl. Definitely faster than walking in either direction, but not at the same level of MAX.

That said, the lack of speed and capacity would likely account for a very small percentage of people attending a baseball game. Having MAX in close proximity is really where the effectiveness of transit will be most useful.

Overall, I think this is a much more promising location for baseball. Terminal 2 will require so much infrastructure that the public price tag will be too steep, in my estimation. I'd like to see how this huge edifice will fit in the neighborhood before coming to any conclusions. Assume it can't be worse than the mall and parking garages surrounding it, though.
As for how a stadium would fit in to the area, if you look at stadiums like what is in Cleveland and Minneapolis, those two are more on par with the size that would be built in Portland, they are both about 215mX250m, which is roughly from Multnomah to Halsey and NE9th to almost the east end of Macy's. That would leave the entire eastern end of the site open for development, or about 11 Portland size blocks.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #407  
Old Posted Aug 5, 2019, 10:19 PM
zilfondel zilfondel is offline
Submarine de Nucléar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Missouri
Posts: 4,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxf View Post
I think it could engage the waterfront far better. What is that...parking on the waterfront in that first rendering?

I know there likely isn't the density there (yet), to support more restaurants and shops along the water, but it would be great to get a nice dinner at a place right on the water before a game (it would be nice if someday Portland had some real urbanity along the water somewhere instead of just parks). Failing that, it seems like the stadium could do a better job of acknowledging its location and make some gesture towards the water.
I was hoping they were community CSA gardens with an area for EV delivery cars. What, no??
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #408  
Old Posted Feb 12, 2020, 12:09 AM
MarkDaMan's Avatar
MarkDaMan MarkDaMan is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Portland
Posts: 7,150
https://www.oregonlive.com/sports/20...pdx-twist.html

Additional renderings available in article link.

Quote:
Canzano: The spinning journey of the Jantzen Beach Carousel takes on an MLB to PDX twist
Updated 2:35 PM; Today 8:02 AM

By John Canzano | The Oregonian/OregonLive








Comerica Park -- home of the Detroit Tigers -- has a carousel featuring two chariots and 30 hand-painted tigers behind the first-base area. Kansas City’s Kauffman Stadium has a carousel, too. It’s become a ballpark thing, probably because families seem to love them both.

So forgive me for taking more than a passing interest in the news conference scheduled at noon today in Southeast Portland where Mayor Ted Wheeler, a restoration nonprofit, philanthropists and the Portland Diamond Project are expected to reveal the details of a new carousel partnership.

The famous C. W. Parker Four-Row Park Carousel has been in storage for some time. Maybe you know it better as “The Jantzen Beach Carousel” and you might have even ridden the thing as a kid. My wife remembers climbing on one of the horses as a 9-year-old during Rose Festival, looking up at Parker’s handmade work and thinking, “this is big, amazing and beautiful.”

I’m hoping your children will one day get to ride it in front of a Major League Baseball stadium in Portland. But that’s getting way ahead. Because this column — and this day — is mostly about the spinning journey of this 116-year old carousel.

It’s been on some ride, hasn’t it?
...(continues)
__________________
make paradise, tear up a parking lot
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #409  
Old Posted Feb 13, 2020, 7:59 PM
Tykendo Tykendo is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 318
My GOD! this is a beautiful development. Make it happen powers that be. This stadium is so gorgeous. The whole development with housing, stadium, and that awesome carousel, that i rode on as a kid, and adult, is simply, SPECTACULAR. Hopefully the ownership group can acquire the Rays, or get 1 of the 2 future expansion teams. This Stadium will be a crown jewel, not only for Portland, but for the whole League.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #410  
Old Posted Feb 13, 2020, 10:01 PM
Malix Malix is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 47
or bring the carousal back to the Lloyd District...and MLB !
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #411  
Old Posted Feb 13, 2020, 11:22 PM
uncommon.name's Avatar
uncommon.name uncommon.name is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Portland
Posts: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tykendo View Post
My GOD! this is a beautiful development. Make it happen powers that be. This stadium is so gorgeous. The whole development with housing, stadium, and that awesome carousel, that i rode on as a kid, and adult, is simply, SPECTACULAR. Hopefully the ownership group can acquire the Rays, or get 1 of the 2 future expansion teams. This Stadium will be a crown jewel, not only for Portland, but for the whole League.
Yessss!! I would love to see this transform that area of the waterfront and Slabtown. Incorporate some beautiful high rises around the stadium and that entire area will be revitalized.
__________________
Passion for Landscape and Architectural photography. Check out my flickr
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #412  
Old Posted Feb 16, 2020, 2:58 PM
Natural Natural is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 44
The proposal is absolutely spectacular.....but is anybody taking notice in the corner office at MLB HQ? Just crickets.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #413  
Old Posted Feb 17, 2020, 6:29 PM
Derek's Avatar
Derek Derek is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 9,488
Yeah, this was exciting at first but I'm not holding my breath any longer. The steam seems to have settled and we haven't gotten any tangible updates in months other than "OMG WE'RE RESTORING AN OLD CAROUSEL"...


Also, the NW location is still absolutely terrible.
__________________
Portlandia
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #414  
Old Posted Feb 17, 2020, 8:58 PM
scleeb scleeb is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Irvington/Grant Park - NE PDX
Posts: 109
Lloyd Theater Parking Lot

The theater parking lot and theater itself seem to be large enough in terms of square footage to accommodate a MLB baseball stadium. If i remember correctly, the group that had control of the parking lot went bankrupt. I'm curious if the Diamond Project has explored this option...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #415  
Old Posted Feb 18, 2020, 7:36 AM
urbanlife's Avatar
urbanlife urbanlife is offline
A before E
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Milwaukie, Oregon
Posts: 11,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek View Post
Yeah, this was exciting at first but I'm not holding my breath any longer. The steam seems to have settled and we haven't gotten any tangible updates in months other than "OMG WE'RE RESTORING AN OLD CAROUSEL"...


Also, the NW location is still absolutely terrible.
Unfortunately that is the MLB for you, they have been dragging their feet with the A's and the Rays for so long that it could be years before anything is ever figured out with those two teams since it doesn't seem like the MLB wants to put any pressure on the owners. Once that is settled, then I could see the MLB putting in a two team expansion in motion that would take several years to enact, and when that happens, Portland will probably be a front runner.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #416  
Old Posted May 30, 2020, 1:29 AM
eric cantona's Avatar
eric cantona eric cantona is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 559
What Happened To The MLB-To-Portland Effort?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/maurybr.../#1050b91d35d3
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #417  
Old Posted May 30, 2020, 7:28 AM
urbanlife's Avatar
urbanlife urbanlife is offline
A before E
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Milwaukie, Oregon
Posts: 11,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric cantona View Post
What Happened To The MLB-To-Portland Effort?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/maurybr.../#1050b91d35d3
Obviously with the pandemic, nothing is going on at the moment, but there are a lot of cards up in the air with what could happen with bringing MLB to Portland. Currently the A's are hemorrhaging money and could end up with the team being forced to be sold, which the Portland group could snatch up that opportunity. There is also the possibility of the MLB wanting to add an influx of cash to the league by expanding by two teams, which for the West Coast, Portland is in the better position for that to happen.

There is also some negatives with all of this with the economic situation we are in, how willing will the state and city be with helping get a team to Portland? What about the investors with the Portland group, there is a possibility for a number of them to have lost money during this economic downturn that could prevent the group for having the funds to make a team happen.

There is a lot of variables, but overall it looks pretty good with this happening in the near future.

https://1080thefan.radio.com/article...ing-mlb-to-pdx
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #418  
Old Posted May 30, 2020, 9:19 PM
eric cantona's Avatar
eric cantona eric cantona is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 559
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
Obviously with the pandemic, nothing is going on at the moment, but there are a lot of cards up in the air with what could happen with bringing MLB to Portland. Currently the A's are hemorrhaging money and could end up with the team being forced to be sold, which the Portland group could snatch up that opportunity. There is also the possibility of the MLB wanting to add an influx of cash to the league by expanding by two teams, which for the West Coast, Portland is in the better position for that to happen.

There is also some negatives with all of this with the economic situation we are in, how willing will the state and city be with helping get a team to Portland? What about the investors with the Portland group, there is a possibility for a number of them to have lost money during this economic downturn that could prevent the group for having the funds to make a team happen.

There is a lot of variables, but overall it looks pretty good with this happening in the near future.

https://1080thefan.radio.com/article...ing-mlb-to-pdx
I thought it was interesting to see a nod to the Lloyd Center site. Not sure that's been written about until now.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #419  
Old Posted May 31, 2020, 5:19 AM
urbanlife's Avatar
urbanlife urbanlife is offline
A before E
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Milwaukie, Oregon
Posts: 11,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric cantona View Post
I thought it was interesting to see a nod to the Lloyd Center site. Not sure that's been written about until now.
My prediction is that we are either going to get an expansion team or able to buy the A's when they default and will be building the stadium where the Lloyd Center is when it collapses from the loss of stores....or when the big earthquake hits and it literally collapses....2020, so who knows.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #420  
Old Posted May 31, 2020, 7:00 PM
Natural Natural is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 44
If the Lloyd Center site is chosen.......would the current stadium design have to be redesigned? How would the stadium be oriented for the money shot?
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:49 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.