HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Apr 17, 2021, 9:50 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
I wouldn't underestimate the long-term deference to the WTC1 thing. Remember this is still the city that puts a big American flag sticker on buses and trains just in case you forget what country you are in while you are riding the subway. It was a patriotic, righteous and appropriate gesture at the time but it's seemingly become permanent probably because, inertia, and nobody wants to be the first guy that suggests they no longer do it out of fear of being labelled unpatriotic.
Then they could build a 2001 foot tower, with special FAA permission for that extra foot

That would symbolize rebirth even more tbh, and NY is probably the only place on earth where a tower like that would even come close to making economic sense.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2021, 10:06 PM

My gut feeling is that it will be driven by perceived office demand and competition, and we won't know until the existing hotel on the site is demolished. But there has been a tendency to downsize office buildings in the city lately - such as 1 Vanderbilt and Manhattan West.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2021, 10:14 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCReid View Post
My gut feeling is that it will be driven by perceived office demand and competition, and we won't know until the existing hotel on the site is demolished. But there has been a tendency to downsize office buildings in the city lately - such as 1 Vanderbilt and Manhattan West.
If 1,486 is the last of the "downsizing" I'm fine with that. Much lower and it would be really disappointing.

I think once things rebound from Covid at the end of this year the world (including office/hotel markets) will be a much more optimistic place.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2021, 10:18 PM

Quote:
As NYguy reminded us, the 1,486' version has the same number of floors as the earlier 1,646' version, so they satisfy the demand for square footage equally well. If there is no demand for high ceilings, then the developer will probably opt for the shorter version to save money.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2021, 10:48 PM
In the long run...

NY has way more Fortune 500 HQs than any other city, including huge financial institutions which have very deep pockets. It also has a legal market that has no parallel in the world in terms of wealth and size. The amount of enormous wealth in NY also is unparalleled.

Like 1 Vandy, this will fill up ASAP.

Old Posted Yesterday, 12:10 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbermingham123 View Post
What worries me most is that "Dont Surpass 1WTC's Spantenna" may become an unofficial (or even worse, official) rule for the city
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
I wouldn't underestimate the long-term deference to the WTC1 thing.

There's no such rule, and honestly, how often do proposals for towers taller than 1,776 ft get built in the US? The answer is, we're still waiting for one. Don't assume if the Freedom Tower spire wasn't built, we'd for sure be getting a proposal to top 1,776 ft. That's not how it works. Developers, at least here, don't just build for height.

Quote:
One Vanderbilt wasn't downsized (the space allocation is different, resulting in less floors). Manhattan West wasn't really downsized either, the tower was split into two towers to create the residential building. Office towers like 50 Hudson and the Spiral were bumped up above initial proposals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianowizard View Post
As NYguy reminded us, the 1,486' version has the same number of floors as the earlier 1,646' version, so they satisfy the demand for square footage equally well. If there is no demand for high ceilings, then the developer will probably opt for the shorter version to save money.
There's always a demand for higher ceilings, especially in that area of midtown, and the type of building that this is. They're coming on the heels of the success of Vanderbilt, and it's what they want to emulate. Like I said earlier, I'd be shocked if they didn't build the higher floor plates. The size of the crown also plays a role in how tall the tower ultimately ends up being, though probably to a lesser extent.

Even so, the tower could still end up being shorter, we'll just have to wait and see. But for now, its still at the 1,646 ft status as we prepare for ULURP.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Yesterday, 12:59 AM

Cool, let’s hope if this awesome supertall tower be able to keep the 1,646’ height. What I dislike about buildings is reduced height, simple.

Old Posted Yesterday, 1:24 AM
DENNAB

Funny how the smaller version has a higher floor count, unless 83 is not including certain mech. etc.

Old Posted Yesterday, 2:24 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
Funny how the smaller version has a higher floor count, unless 83 is not including certain mech. etc.
It was always 83-89, depending on if you count those upper levels. It’s the same way with Vanderbilt, sometimes they count the levels above the observation deck, which don’t count as floor space.

Also, the exact mix of which floors account for hotel or office space changes a little.

A look again at what we would typically expect of buildings of this caliber, as far as slab heights go...

50 Hudson

350 Park

15 Penn

One Vanderbilt

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Last edited by NYguy; Yesterday at 2:40 AM.

Old Posted Today, 12:30 AM

If the 1,486 version is the final product I'm sorry for yall.

I'm from Chicago so I'm kinda used to this sort of thing happening.

Old Posted Today, 2:08 AM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCres View Post

You're sorry that NY is building a 1,486 (possibly higher still?) foot building? How's that something to be sorry about?

Chicago proposes a lot, builds some great stuff but doesn't follow through with as much as it should. If Tribune East gets built it'll still be a tier 1 21st century skyline.

Not really much to complain about, we're all just spoiled.

Old Posted Today, 2:10 AM
ψ Sailor of the Mind ψ

We'll have to wait until its 100% official. Its still early in the game.

Old Posted Today, 2:50 AM
In the long run...

Quote:

I like Chicago, but it has one tower over 1,300’ tall, and it was built decades ago. NY is cranking them out like there’s no tomorrow.

Old Posted Today, 3:23 AM
Leftist Correctist

Quote:

Silence Cal!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals