HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment

Old Posted May 31, 2020, 9:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural View Post
If the Lloyd Center site is chosen.......would the current stadium design have to be redesigned? How would the stadium be oriented for the money shot?
stolen fron the Google:

Generally speaking, the best angle for both batters and fielders is to have the centerline of the field run from southwest to northeast with home plate in the southwestern end.

conceivably, this would allow for great views of both Mt Hood and Mt St Helens from the main seating bowl.

Old Posted May 31, 2020, 9:58 PM

after looking at other ballpark dimensions you could fit a modern structure on roughly half of the Lloyd Center property.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2020, 6:15 AM
A before E

Quote:
If the Lloyd Center site is chosen.......would the current stadium design have to be redesigned? How would the stadium be oriented for the money shot?
from home plate, the outfield would be towards the North and East per MLB rules, so there would be no skyline shot from the stands beyond what you could see of the city from the concourse. Of course, if the stadium is built on the eastern side of the Lloyd Center site, that would open up the western side to be developed, but my guess is they would want the stadium to sit on the western side so that the eastern side could be developed as the entrance to the stadium.

https://www.baseball-almanac.com/sta..._NSEW_NL.shtml

Old Posted Jun 1, 2020, 2:52 PM

Thanks both......personally I would prefer the Terminal 2 Site due to the Riverfront location and sexiness of area.. . Unfortunately, the Transportation and Zoning issues may be too big of an obstical to overcome. The Lloyd District( if chosen) would truly go through an amazing restructure. I've lived in other cities and seen first hand how a major sports facility can totally transform an area. Imagine what Portland can conjure up given this opportunity, This is a win win for Portland regardless of site chosen. Portland is a MLB city....no question.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2020, 1:37 AM
RCTID

I’m surprised nobody caught the Amazon Prime Park logo in one of the renderings on the previous page.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2020, 8:22 AM
A before E

Quote:
Thanks both......personally I would prefer the Terminal 2 Site due to the Riverfront location and sexiness of area.. . Unfortunately, the Transportation and Zoning issues may be too big of an obstical to overcome. The Lloyd District( if chosen) would truly go through an amazing restructure. I've lived in other cities and seen first hand how a major sports facility can totally transform an area. Imagine what Portland can conjure up given this opportunity, This is a win win for Portland regardless of site chosen. Portland is a MLB city....no question.
It would be great to one day see a MLB stadium in the Lloyd District, and see the district full of 250-400ft buildings.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2020, 5:04 AM

Canzano: Did you hear the cheers? Election night fell the right way for Portland’s pro-sports crowd

John Canzano | November 3, 2020 | The Oregonian

https://www.oregonlive.com/sports/jo...rts-crowd.html

Before bedtime on Tuesday night the pro-sports crowd in Portland pumped a fist and breathed a sigh of relief. A couple of critical election-night results tipped the right way at City Hall.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Bringing Major League Baseball to Portland feels especially challenging right now. But that effort is still alive and the group has been regular contact with Mayor Wheeler, who remains a supporter. Representatives for the Portland Diamond Project aren’t talking these days. But one well-connected city source said on Wednesday: “If Sarah had won I think the baseball conversation would be dead.”

Old Posted Feb 14, 2021, 9:56 PM

Not a story about the potential bid but it had this nugget in there.

https://www.oregonlive.com/business/...nitiative.html

Quote:
Port of Portland looking at alternative uses or sale of major assets to further new ‘shared prosperity’ initiative
Updated 1:27 PM; Today 6:08 AM

Terminal 2, the oldest of the Port’s marine terminals, sits unused and empty. The Portland Diamond Project, a group that nurtured longshot hopes to build a Major League Baseball stadium on the 53-acre site, has let its development agreement with the port lapse.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2021, 12:34 AM

Thanks for the info MarkDaMan,

Seems smart to let it lapse. There is a lot of risks to stay in the one bucket (one location) with all the questions in the near future on MLB teams and possible expansion.
What is the viability of MLB teams in the new "COVID" world?
Will City of Portland spend millions of dollars on a stadium location that is questionable?
Will banks do construction loans to a ownership group in the current environment?

I hope the Rose Quarter/Lloyd Center areas are now back or now on the radar for future consideration. RQ/LC area will not require CoP cash for mass transit improvements so one risk/issue is solved. Banks look at every angle to lower their risks or they are not doing their job.

ESV

Old Posted Feb 16, 2021, 7:26 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastsideView View Post
Thanks for the info MarkDaMan,

Seems smart to let it lapse. There is a lot of risks to stay in the one bucket (one location) with all the questions in the near future on MLB teams and possible expansion.
What is the viability of MLB teams in the new "COVID" world?
Will City of Portland spend millions of dollars on a stadium location that is questionable?
Will banks do construction loans to a ownership group in the current environment?

I hope the Rose Quarter/Lloyd Center areas are now back or now on the radar for future consideration. RQ/LC area will not require CoP cash for mass transit improvements so one risk/issue is solved. Banks look at every angle to lower their risks or they are not doing their job.

ESV

If anything with the lost revenue MLB has endured with Covid, I think they’ll be all ears on expansion. The fee alone would be a huge enticing factor to the owners. The NBA has already came out and said this for their league.

Portland should be ready more than ever to have their stuff together. I don’t know what happened with this site deal. But with the recent lloyd center news on store closures does make it a coincidence

Old Posted Feb 17, 2021, 7:35 AM
A before E

I am 100% sure that a MLB stadium if we get a team through an expansion will involve a stadium where Lloyd Center is now because that mall is dead, like Cinnabon/GNC gone dead.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2021, 2:01 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
I am 100% sure that a MLB stadium if we get a team through an expansion will involve a stadium where Lloyd Center is now because that mall is dead, like Cinnabon/GNC gone dead.
Then on top of that they let the Terminal 2 site deal expire. I definitely think at this point the location is Lloyd Center is the spot

Old Posted Feb 18, 2021, 6:32 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorbinWarrick View Post
Then on top of that they let the Terminal 2 site deal expire. I definitely think at this point the location is Lloyd Center is the spot
Which is the best spot because they could even build a light rail spur into the stadium if they wanted to.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2021, 8:14 PM

Quote:
Which is the best spot because they could even build a light rail spur into the stadium if they wanted to.
depending on siting of a stadium at LC there are two light rail stations within a couple of blocks.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2021, 8:53 PM

Quote:
There's no need for an additional platform which is the beauty of this location. Also, there are already places to store empty trains to help with peak traffic on the transit system, as TriMet has done for Blazers games. The storage track on NE 11th Ave serves this function, as does the third track at Rose Quarter, and another storage track at Union Station. These empty trains can be quickly primed for service in between normal service to help move crowds out of the area in minimal time. I guess it's possible to provide even more storage tracks if the stadium capacity demands it, in the way you mention.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2021, 10:34 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_PDXer View Post
There's no need for an additional platform which is the beauty of this location. Also, there are already places to store empty trains to help with peak traffic on the transit system, as TriMet has done for Blazers games. The storage track on NE 11th Ave serves this function, as does the third track at Rose Quarter, and another storage track at Union Station. These empty trains can be quickly primed for service in between normal service to help move crowds out of the area in minimal time. I guess it's possible to provide even more storage tracks if the stadium capacity demands it, in the way you mention.
That's true, there wouldn't be a need for any additional infrastructure. I think I was thinking about the proposal back in the day when it was gonna be at the location of the PPS building and it had a proposal for a light rail station attached to the system in the stadium.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2021, 2:21 AM
RCTID

Quote:
That's true, there wouldn't be a need for any additional infrastructure. I think I was thinking about the proposal back in the day when it was gonna be at the location of the PPS building and it had a proposal for a light rail station attached to the system in the stadium.
Dont they still have tracks on NE 11th between Multnomah and Holliday that used to be used for a trolly? They virtually stop across the street from the mall.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2021, 6:27 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by PdX Farr View Post
Dont they still have tracks on NE 11th between Multnomah and Holliday that used to be used for a trolly? They virtually stop across the street from the mall.
They do, I was simply saying that could be extended into the stadium if they wanted to and had a special platform station for the stadium on game days.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2021, 4:06 PM

I'm wondering if anyone else here is skeptical about Portland's chances of securing a MLB franchise. A year or so ago, I was somewhat confident. Today, not so much. The battering that our city has endured over the past year, from the opioid/homeless crisis to near-nightly riots has left our civic reputation in tatters. If there was a definitive conclusion on the horizon, I might not worry so much. While some of this is economic, the greater damage is from a pervasive alienation that makes our common project seem more like a pipe dream. When will it finally be over? No one seems to know.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2021, 5:05 PM
Semi-Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by soleri View Post
I'm wondering if anyone else here is skeptical about Portland's chances of securing a MLB franchise. A year or so ago, I was somewhat confident. Today, not so much. The battering that our city has endured over the past year, from the opioid/homeless crisis to near-nightly riots has left our civic reputation in tatters. If there was a definitive conclusion on the horizon, I might not worry so much. While some of this is economic, the greater damage is from a pervasive alienation that makes our common project seem more like a pipe dream. When will it finally be over? No one seems to know.
I somehow doubt that will be much of an issue. While I agree that the city is looking rough around the edges, tales of the cities imminent death seem over blown. Sure more people might look to live in the suburbs (The thought increasingly crosses my mind) but those people will still be more than willing to come into the city for entertainment as long as security is maintained within the sports complex itself. Especially if the location is not downtown.mThe initial proposed location for a stadium in NW was a pretty awful idea. But with the Lloyd center in a death spiral that opens up some interesting opportunities.

Those are just my armchair thoughts. I would sooner spend 3 hours watching paint dry then attend an MLB game, so I don't really have a dog in this race.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment