HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Sep 24, 2019, 2:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
There are some beautiful old buildings there--it could be a really interesting neighborhood if done thoughtfully.
Yeah, I remember being there years ago and thinking that they were pretty cool looking. Irregardless of how thoughtful it is, it is nice to see that neighborhood finally being put to some use.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2019, 5:37 AM
heavy user of walkability

the scaffolding was down on the Illinois St side of the corner office building, and it looks nicely restored! (sorry the light is not better)

they also seem to be working on its base, where it meets the Crane Cove Parking Lot. or maybe that is just parking lot work

here is its next-door neighbor

Old Posted Oct 9, 2019, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Brookfield expects to start construction on the first new buildings in the (Pier 70) project before the end of 2019 and have five buildings under construction by mid-2020. Delivery of the first phase is estimated near the end of 2021.
https://www.bizjournals.com/sanfranc...92RCsifQ%3D%3D

Old Posted Oct 14, 2019, 8:54 AM

some sort of concrete enclosure/addition going up behind the corner office building, and looks like its neighbor has an added deck or something on the back

couple 'before' shots. this is the stub of 22nd St

and some of the current structures

Old Posted Oct 14, 2019, 2:23 PM

[QUOTE=timbad;8716451]some sort of concrete enclosure/addition going up behind the corner office building, and looks like its neighbor has an added deck or something on the back

I'm a Bay Area local that now lives and works in the Dogpatch area. I've been a reader of this forum for a long time and have loved tracking all of the projects. Thx for the many posts Timbad!

In terms of the picture above, the corner building is actually slated to be a Restoration Hardware store and it will have a restaurant attached to it. The concrete podium will have a deck on top, and there will also be a roof deck for the building.

The land in front and to the left in the picture is slated to become a parking lot.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2019, 6:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarealocal View Post

In terms of the picture above, the corner building is actually slated to be a Restoration Hardware store and it will have a restaurant attached to it. The concrete podium will have a deck on top, and there will also be a roof deck for the building. ...
thanks for the info!

courtesy of a link 1977 provided in the Mission Bay thread, here is one of many great aerial views from Droneshot on flickr of Pier 70

DJI_0962-HDR.jpg by Droneshot, on Flickr

edit: I'll throw this one in here too, but I definitely recommend flipping through all the pics on flickr. this shows the relationship of Pier 70 to the Power Plant parcels next door, another megaproject of almost the same scale as Pier 70. the extent of the ripples that Mission Bay has sent out that have helped spur all of this development in Showplace Square, Potrero Flats, Dogpatch, the Power Plant, Pier 70, Crane Cove Park, Mission Rock, and even arguably SW SOMA, is staggering.

DJI_0959-HDR.jpg by Droneshot, on Flickr

Last edited by timbad; Oct 18, 2019 at 6:31 AM. Reason: noted

Old Posted Nov 3, 2019, 10:21 PM

a better shot of the future Restoration Hardware building, with scaffolding down

on the SE wing you can still see some before/after contrast

Old Posted Nov 4, 2019, 5:52 AM

Rh wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbad View Post
a better shot of the future Restoration Hardware building, with scaffolding down

on the SE wing you can still see some before/after contrast

This is going to be one heck of palace for grey, oversized furniture, and I for one am excited for what I expect to be an epic cafe to take instagram-ready photos in.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2019, 5:40 PM

Quote:
Brookfield crafts largest mass timber office building on the West Coast in S.F.
By Blanca Torres – Reporter, San Francisco Business Times
Dec 10, 2019, 6:06pm EST

San Francisco could soon be home to the biggest office building made of wood on the West Coast.

Brookfield Properties plans to use mass timber to construct a 310,000-square-foot, six-story building at the corner of 20th and Maryland streets in Pier 70, a $3.5 billion mega project along the city's southern waterfront.

Mass timber is a type of fortified wood that is used to build taller buildings than conventional wood. Some developers have started using mass timber instead of concrete or steel for high-rises, but use of the material is still rare.

“By applying emerging technologies and innovative designs to the structures we’re building here, we are reinforcing that Pier 70 will be a thriving place for creative industries in San Francisco,” said Cutter MacLeod, Brookfield Properties senior manager of development, in a statement Tuesday . . . .

Brookfield expects to start construction next spring on the new buildings, including the mass timber office building, which is still going through the city’s approval process. Development costs for the building were not disclosed.

Construction will take about two years . . . .

The design incorporates cross-laminated timber floor slabs, glue-laminated timber columns and beams, steel lateral seismic framing, and metal cladding.

Those materials have been popular for some time in Europe and Canada, but are still relatively new to the U.S. building industry. WoodWorks, a trade organization, says there are 664 multifamily, commercial or institutional projects in the design process or built with mass timber in the United States.

New York developer Lotus Equity Group plans to build a 500,000-square-foot commercial building using mass timber in Newark, New Jersey.

Washington and Oregon already allow up to 14-story buildings using mass timber. California is looking at increasing height limits above 85 feet, which is the height of Brookfield’s building.

Mass timber can cost more than steel, but there are some advantages. Mass timber buildings weigh less than concrete or steel buildings, allowing developers to spend less on the foundation. Also, the material is produced ahead of time in a factory, which can shave off four to six months in construction time compared with a concrete building of similar size.

Mass timber also comes with a fire resistant layer that traditional wood constructions don’t have. That makes mass timber less susceptible to construction fires, which have ravaged several under-construction apartment buildings in the Bay Area . . . .

https://www.bizjournals.com/sanfranc...SJ9#g/464756/5

Old Posted Dec 11, 2019, 6:59 PM
Build Baby Build

Hey I really love the design of that waterfront in the picture above. The piers and steps repetition looks really great. The right angles are actually a welcome change to the usual curvy roads, curvy dividers, and curvy art omnipresent along the Embarcadero further north.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2019, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Google search could lead to the largest office lease ever in San Francisco
By Blanca Torres – Reporter, San Francisco Business Times
56 minutes ago

Tech giant Google is in talks to lease up to 1.75 million square feet, the entire office component of Brookfield Properties’ Pier 70 mega project, according to sources familiar with the discussions. No deal has been finalized, but it would be the largest direct office lease in San Francisco history if it comes to fruition.

Mountain View-based Google already leases or owns about 1.9 million square feet of office space in San Francisco, making it the second largest office tenant after Salesforce. The company did not respond to requests for comment.

The $3.5 billion Pier 70 offers calls for a total of 2,150 homes and 2.27 million square feet of commercial space on 28 acres of former industrial land on the city’s southern waterfront in Dogpatch . . . .
https://www.bizjournals.com/sanfranc...xmK08ifQ%3D%3D

Old Posted Jan 18, 2020, 8:37 PM

Power Plant site

not sure if this is the best place for this, but since it's next-door and contiguous with Pier 70: socketsite update on potential Planning approval of the Power Plant site soon

Quote:
The massive development is now slated to be built in six phases over the course of 16 years, “depending on market conditions,” and would yield a total of 2,600 residential units along with 1.8 million square feet of commercial space, including ... a 240,000-square-foot, 250-room waterfront hotel, along with 25,000 square feet of entertainment/assembly space, 50,000 square feet of community space and off-street parking for around 2,700 cars (and 1,900 bikes).

In addition, the development would yield nearly 7 acres of new publicly accessible open space, including a 1.2-acre “Power Station Park,” a 0.6-acre “Stack Plaza” and a 3-acre waterfront park connected to the neighboring Pier 70 Shoreline Park and Bay Trail.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2020, 8:16 PM

Pier 70 is a slow-moving beast so I thought I'd share some renderings I found on Handel's site for Parcel K (20th & Illinois) to help keep the pulse up.

Across from the Restoration Hardware office which is currently being renovated:

Same intersection, looking back, towards the southwest (Irish Hill down at the end of the alley):

View north with the Restoration Hardware in the background, down Illinois to the left:

View across Illinois, eastward:

More info on Handel's site here.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2020, 4:52 AM

^ thanks, very nice. I dig it

Old Posted May 5, 2020, 9:20 AM

getting ready to pour sidewalks around Restoration Hardware building

north down Illinois

east down 20th

south up Illinois

Old Posted May 9, 2020, 3:11 PM

Overhead electric wires?

Thanks as always for the many pics. Any sign that the overhead wires will go underground before the sidewalks and streets are rebuilt/repaved?

Old Posted May 10, 2020, 8:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahanakorn View Post
...Any sign that the overhead wires will go underground before the sidewalks and streets are rebuilt/repaved?
it is disappointing to me that it does not appear that the utility lines will be undergrounded here the way they have been in Mission Bay just to the north. I hope I'm wrong - such lines are a bit of a pet peeve of mine, and it seems to me there was/is an opportunity to do it at least along Illinois where such a long stretch is seeing development or other construction activity. (this may be what you were thinking as well?)

(on the other hand, I do understand it is apparently a fairly expensive undertaking for something that is mainly an aesthetic issue.)

Old Posted May 13, 2020, 1:40 PM

[QUOTE=timbad;8917669] a pet peeve of mine, and it seems to me there was/is an opportunity

A pet peeve of mine, too, Timbad. A missed opportunity indeed, since the streets are already dug up. They can still pleasantly surprise us.

Old Posted May 13, 2020, 6:33 PM
Surrounded by Nature

[QUOTE=mahanakorn;8920815]
Quote:
Originally Posted by timbad View Post
a pet peeve of mine, and it seems to me there was/is an opportunity

A pet peeve of mine, too, Timbad. A missed opportunity indeed, since the streets are already dug up. They can still pleasantly surprise us.
No one has any money now, including PG&E.

Old Posted May 26, 2020, 12:59 AM

a look at Restoration Hardware from the north

and I'm not sure, but they may actually be undergrounding lines on 20th St at least:

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development