HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Nov 6, 2022, 12:13 PM

Seems about right

Old Posted May 24, 2023, 1:17 PM

Red. That's how you make Ottawa's skyline less bleak and loathsome. I hope the Dream Lebreton project is the start of a serious red trend in this city.

Look at all the red in Calgary in this shot by @pushtheimpossible on Instagram. Imagine this scene if everything was shades of grey.

Old Posted May 24, 2023, 1:41 PM

I wouldn't mind more red.

Is charcoal brick cheaper? Traditionally, red brick was cheaper. You'd think charcoal would increase cooling costs (not to mention the heat island effect), which would not be desirable in retail buildings where the landlord often pays the utility bills.

Old Posted May 24, 2023, 2:00 PM
inner city

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
Red. That's how you make Ottawa's skyline less bleak and loathsome.
Also, sexy, sophisticated buildings like The Concord. A copy of the building with an open Ottawa River view at Lebreton would be +++. Except there aren't enough people in Ottawa who like to pay a bit more with an expectation of high quality.

Old Posted May 24, 2023, 2:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKellarDweller View Post
Also, sexy, sophisticated buildings like The Concord. A copy of the building with an open Ottawa River view at Lebreton would be +++. Except there aren't enough people in Ottawa who like to pay a bit more with an expectation of high quality.
The Azure original design (first iteration was reddish/brown) had a similar design. Surprise surprise, it didn't sell, so we ended up with a much more austere rental tower.

https://www.ottawacondonetwork.com/completed/the-azure/

https://www.brigil.com/index-en.php

Old Posted May 24, 2023, 2:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
I wouldn't mind more red.

Is charcoal brick cheaper? Traditionally, red brick was cheaper. You'd think charcoal would increase cooling costs (not to mention the heat island effect), which would not be desirable in retail buildings where the landlord often pays the utility bills.
I don't know about the cost difference between red and charcoal brick, but I don't think cost is why developers favour the latter. I think developers want to be able to market sleek, modern towers to prospective buyers/renters, but don't want to actually spend the money to build quality, modern looking designs. Charcoal brick and the overall use of grey, drab, "cold" finishes is their way of projecting modern sleekness without paying for it.

Old Posted May 24, 2023, 3:00 PM

I imagine there are a few people at Neuf and RLA that find these charcwhites sleek and modern, but I personally think they will age horribly. I think regular citizens will take notice in five years once the city is pockmarked with dozens and dozens of these towers and they will be maligned as uncreative and drab and cheap looking.

Old Posted May 24, 2023, 3:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKellarDweller View Post
In other cities, developments near the water and water views are typically very much sought after. In Ottawa that doesn't seem to be necessarily the case, or maybe it's just because our waterways are lined with grass and parkways or are zoned for low-density and NIMBYs fight projects tooth and nail.

All along the canal (on both sides), it mostly low-density. Same with the Rideau river save for 2-3 older projects close to St-Patricks. It's a shame...

Old Posted May 24, 2023, 3:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
I imagine there are a few people at Neuf and RLA that find these charcwhites sleek and modern, but I personally think they will age horribly. I think regular citizens will take notice in five years once the city is pockmarked with dozens and dozens of these towers and they will be maligned as uncreative and drab and cheap looking.
Yup. They stopped being sleek and modern 5 years ago. I think SoBa and Gotham were some of the first charcoal brick towers, and they were at the time sleek and modern. Now, we're over it. Bring back colour.

I pray that the new arena won't be charcoal brick.

Old Posted May 24, 2023, 5:26 PM

I agree, the charcoal is already ageing horribly. Personally, I think it always looked horrible, even when the first charcwhites started going up. The worst part is we're still building them, and they will be a prominent part of the skyline for the next century. The most striking contrast is while driving down Scott St. and seeing Metropole next to 1960 Scott, and realizing the latter was just completed while the former is already two decades old.

Old Posted May 28, 2023, 3:25 PM

I just saw this picture of Chongqing, China on Reddit r/urbanhell and thought 'Hey, that's Ottawa in 10 years!'

Old Posted Oct 1, 2023, 2:45 PM

Not great architecture...

Stairs and accessibility ramp at Place de Ville (Kent & Queen)

Stairs and accessibility ramp near RBC at 585 Montreal Rd

Old Posted Oct 2, 2023, 12:55 PM

Place de Ville concourse is quite terrible. The recent renovations somehow made it worse. It's just so sterile and soulless. All that, and they still didn't bother making the Marriott accessible from down there.

The lobby too is quite terrible now. They replaced the nice, heavy, thick pink granite with crappy white tiling.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues