HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jul 16, 2022, 6:06 PM
Selfie-stick vendor

Miami is not cool by any standard

Old Posted Jul 16, 2022, 9:19 PM
video et taceo

Skellefteå??? I mean I heard they are getting a new battery factory, but... this is just a minor northern town. The terrain isn't dramatic, the town isn't historic... this is bizarre. This has to be the triumph of some cleantech PR firm or something. There are dozens of cities more interesting, and Sweden doesn't really even have dozens of cities.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2022, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_denizen View Post
Miami is not cool by any standard
miami truly needs nobody stanning for it and there are a ton of angry assholes there, but "not cool" is not something i'd ever attribute to the place

wynwood arts district, art basel
miami beach art deco
cuban food, cuban coffee, i need a cortadito now
miami modern, arquitectonica, andres duany
the underline
merck records (rip)

Last edited by cabasse; Jul 17, 2022 at 1:19 AM.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2022, 2:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labtec View Post
I haven't been to Detroit in many years but I was in San Francisco earlier in the year and was a bit surprised. I thought the city would have a lot more people walking out and about, but it was mostly empty (besides the numerous homeless) almost everywhere I went except for Chinatown and Pier39. It changed a lot since the 80s when I first visited as a kid, it felt unsafe. Hopefully, it will get better because the natural scenic beauty is wonderful.
I'm going to give my perspective as someone who lived in Sacramento for 28 years and have been to San Francisco many times as an adult. I was just there in May for a couple days...and we walked and took public transportation EVERYWHERE). It wasn't scary except for one block near the Mission (which we survived just fine). The city seemed to be doing great! Shops and restaurants were bustling, the parks were more beautiful than ever, and, while we saw people who were homeless, it was actually only in certain areas. Other areas had no homeless people at all.

The biggest problem I had was in the Castro where there were too many straight people. We saw multiple people with strollers and it was just not what I wanted to see in a place that has been such a safe haven for so many queer people for sooo long! I guess things change; but, that was a little disheartening. Straight people colonizing gay spaces...

Speaking of strollers, I think that is where we have a big problem with the perception of San Francisco. There has been a lot of turnover of the type of people living in the city in recent decades...and I think that has really changed the perception of the city as a whole. Where you may have had most of the city population used to living in a somewhat gritty environment with urban issues (homelessness, drug use, crime, etc), now you have young families trying to come in and think it's a place to walk your kids around or take them for a ride in a stroller...and they walk by a couple men in thongs or a homeless person passed out on the street and think they live in hell. It's annoying.

Anyway, this is a counterpoint to the "unsafe, dirty, and crime-ridden" reputation that San Francisco has gotten as of late. I found the city to be as wonderful as ever; albeit, in a different way than before.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2022, 3:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creamcityleo79 View Post
I was just there in May for a couple days...and we walked and took public transportation EVERYWHERE). It wasn't scary except for one block near the Mission (which we survived just fine). The city seemed to be doing great! Shops and restaurants were bustling, the parks were more beautiful than ever, and, while we saw people who were homeless, it was actually only in certain areas. Other areas had no homeless people at all.
Yeah, I don't recall seeing any homeless people during my trip last month, nor any tent cities. I haven't been since before the pandemic, but I'm typically in SF at least once per year and it seemed mostly normal to me, and certainly nothing approaching the recent media depictions. That said, there were a couple of noticeable exceptions:
  1. There were a LOT of vacant storefronts, which is something I'm not used to seeing in SF. I was mostly downtown so it was obviously a circumstance due to the office worker and tourist focused nature of that part of the city. Nonetheless, it was very noticeable.
  2. The other weird thing I noticed was in the Westfield mall on Market Street. There was an INSANE amount of security stationed everywhere in the mall. Every door, hallway, etc., had visible security. I've never seen that much security in a mall or department store in the U.S. It reminded me of shopping in Brazil.

Last edited by iheartthed; Jul 18, 2022 at 4:22 PM.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2022, 5:21 PM

Those damn heteros, ruining everything.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2022, 5:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creamcityleo79 View Post
The biggest problem I had was in the Castro where there were too many straight people. We saw multiple people with strollers and it was just not what I wanted to see in a place that has been such a safe haven for so many queer people for sooo long! I guess things change; but, that was a little disheartening. Straight people colonizing gay spaces... .
Is this supposed to be a joke?

Old Posted Jul 18, 2022, 5:33 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
TimeOut has also just released their list of "best cities".

They list 53, but here is the top 10.

1. Edinburgh · 2. Chicago · 3. Medellín · 4. Glasgow · 5. Amsterdam · 6. Prague · 7. Marrakech · 8. Berlin. 9. Montréal. 10. Copenhagen.

https://www.timeout.com/things-to-do...s-in-the-world
yeah, but Calgary...

"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Jul 18, 2022, 5:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC123 View Post
Is this supposed to be a joke?
kind of. But, I think it speaks to the larger issue with people who are not from a place moving in and expecting it to be a certain way and then complaining when it's not. It's like cultural gentrification...hence, the term colonization. There are a LOT of queer people who feel like our safe spaces (bars, neighborhoods, clubs) are being intruded upon by straight people...who I'm sure are well-meaning; but, they're also taking over a space that is not inherently theirs and they don't seem to care about the impact that has.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2022, 5:45 PM

Gayborhoods aren't as visibly gay bc informal restrictions have lessened. De-ghettoization of black neighborhoods, gay neighborhoods, etc. is obviously a good thing, overall, but includes some cultural loss.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2022, 6:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Gayborhoods aren't as visibly gay bc informal restrictions have lessened. De-ghettoization of black neighborhoods, gay neighborhoods, etc. is obviously a good thing, overall, but includes some cultural loss.
This is very true; but, for a city that was (at one time...and maybe is still close to) 20% gay men, losing that culture can be a difficult blow.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2022, 4:22 PM
devout Pizzatarian

off topic posts moved to the LGBT thread in CE:

https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=208912

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions