HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jul 12, 2022, 8:33 PM

Time: World's Greatest Places for 2022

Time's annual Greatest Places list for 2022. I parsed out cities and towns and grouped by continent:

Africa
Nairobi
Franschhoek, South Africa
Kigali, Rwanda

Asia
Ahmedabad, India
Doha, Qatar
Kerala, India
Ras Al Khaimah, UAE
Seoul

Europe
Copenhagen
Devon, England
Dolni Morava, Czech Republic
Istanbul
Kaunas, Lithuania
Marseilles
Portree, Scotland
Skelleftea, Sweden
Thessaloniki, Greece
València, Spain

North America
Detroit
Ilulissat, Greenland
Miami
Park City, Utah
Portland, Ore.
San Francisco
Tofino, British Columbia
Toronto

Oceania
Fremantle, Australia
Great Barrier Reef, Australia
Queenstown, New Zealand

South America
Bogotá
Salta, Argentina
São Paulo

Full list: https://time.com/collection/worlds-g...t-places-2022/

Old Posted Jul 12, 2022, 8:53 PM

This is like a travel list or what? I don’t get it.

I did see that Travel+Leisure just had Oaxaca and San Miguel de Allende as their #1 and #2 destinations. Viva la México!
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Jul 12, 2022, 8:57 PM

The title doesn't match the intent of the article, not even slightly

"50 extraordinary destinations to explore" is the intent

Old Posted Jul 12, 2022, 9:25 PM

Portland needs all the good press it can get. Honestly its looking pretty good tho. On my dystopia scale, I only rate it three robocops/ten. Downtown retail is the pits but the pearl and nw look fine.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2022, 10:58 PM

That's so weird. I clicked on São Paulo and it's 15 lines talking about a new hotel opened recently. So that's it? People from all over the world should come to São Paulo in 2022 to check out a hotel?

About the others, this city in Northern Sweden seems like a provincial city in Russia. Not attractive. The one in Scotland is cute, but it's like 20 houses by the sea.

On the least, I've been just to São Paulo and Franschhoek. The Cape is one of the most fascinating regions in the world. People should definitely visit it.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2022, 1:45 AM
Dryer lint inspector

San Francisco and Detroit?

Old Posted Jul 13, 2022, 2:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
the Title of this thread need to be update to "50 extraordinary destinations to explore"

Old Posted Jul 13, 2022, 2:12 AM

Miami is pretty great.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2022, 3:32 PM
The Vomit Bag.

seemingly random cities. clickbait

Ilulissat, Greenland. You know it!

Old Posted Jul 13, 2022, 3:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
Both are great cities.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2022, 4:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri View Post
That's so weird. I clicked on São Paulo and it's 15 lines talking about a new hotel opened recently. So that's it? People from all over the world should come to São Paulo in 2022 to check out a hotel?

About the others, this city in Northern Sweden seems like a provincial city in Russia. Not attractive. The one in Scotland is cute, but it's like 20 houses by the sea.

On the least, I've been just to São Paulo and Franschhoek. The Cape is one of the most fascinating regions in the world. People should definitely visit it.
Also, why are there icebreaker cruises going into the Arctic (for $30,000/person) and breaking up thick sea ice to go to the North Pole?!?!??! Don't we, like, need that ice to stick around as long as possible and not break it up when it's already endangered!?!? Seems kind of insane to me! Is it just me?

Old Posted Jul 13, 2022, 5:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creamcityleo79 View Post
Also, why are there icebreaker cruises going into the Arctic (for $30,000/person) and breaking up thick sea ice to go to the North Pole?!?!??! Don't we, like, need that ice to stick around as long as possible and not break it up when it's already endangered!?!? Seems kind of insane to me! Is it just me?
No, it's not just you; that is some dumbass fuckery right there.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Jul 13, 2022, 5:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
No, it's not just you; that is some dumbass fuckery right there.
and, apparently, there are others (they just don't go to the center of the Arctic; but, still...). It's actually infuriating!

Old Posted Jul 13, 2022, 5:57 PM

These stupid lists are all the same. Some navel-gazing hipster wants to get clicks so they choose some random (but safe) "off the beaten track" places to stir-up controversy and discussion comments. Usually ends up with a list of Second Cities and "up-and-coming-formerly-down-on-their-luck-now-gentrifying" locales.

No one's going to click on another article about London, Paris, Tokyo, Rome, etc. being the top places to visit in the world.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2022, 10:56 AM

How those articles are effective. After posted here, I’ve seen it at CNN and all over Brazilian press.

They’ll keep being written forever as they demand zero effort.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2022, 1:49 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

TimeOut has also just released their list of "best cities".

They list 53, but here is the top 10.

1. Edinburgh · 2. Chicago · 3. Medellín · 4. Glasgow · 5. Amsterdam · 6. Prague · 7. Marrakech · 8. Berlin. 9. Montréal. 10. Copenhagen.

https://www.timeout.com/things-to-do...s-in-the-world

Old Posted Jul 14, 2022, 2:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
TimeOut has also just released their list of "best cities".

They list 53, but here is the top 10.

1. Edinburgh · 2. Chicago · 3. Medellín · 4. Glasgow · 5. Amsterdam · 6. Prague · 7. Marrakech · 8. Berlin. 9. Montréal. 10. Copenhagen.

https://www.timeout.com/things-to-do...s-in-the-world
I was missing them!

37. São Paulo

What makes us great: Don’t believe what they say over in Rio about people from São Paulo. It’s true that the industrious Paulistanos work hard, but they party even harder and there’s a scene for everybody in the clubbing capital of South America. The food here is some of the best on the continent too: decades of immigration have woven cooking traditions from Italy, Japan and more into cosmopolitan São Paulo’s culinary tapestry.

Visit now because: São Paulo’s LGBTQ+ community is bigger and bolder than ever: an estimated four million attended the city’s pride parade in June this year, making it the largest in the world.

The big numbers: A near-faultless 95 percent of Paulistanos said their city’s food and drink is on point, with 86 percent also praising its nightlife. —Dougie Loynes

48. Rio de Janeiro

What makes us great: Rio is known as the cidade maravilhosa (marvellous city), and while that may sound immodest, what other city boasts such a wealth of stunning natural features? Dramatic rocky peaks tower over wildlife-packed forests, lagoons and golden beaches. Indeed, Rio scored highly this year for beauty, ‘hooking up with people’ and ‘making new friends’, and by night, that warm welcome comes to the fore as the city’s countless bars, street parties and samba clubs open up. Bring a smile and an easygoing attitude – in moments you’ll have made a host of new friends, ready to help you enjoy everything a night out in this vibrant city has to offer.

Visit now because: During the days of the pandemic restrictions, Rio put its party spirit on hold, but now it has returned with a vengeance. And in the downtime, many of the beachside kiosks and rooftop bars have been upgraded, offering better food, drinks and music.

The big numbers: Rio is the third best city in the world for hook-ups (66 percent of citizens said it’s easy to get with someone here), while 74 percent said their hometown was beautiful and 70 percent said they had easy access to green space. —Tom Le Mesurier

P.S. It's been one year since the last one? Gosh, it seems it was last week I opened a thread with the last one.

P.P.S. I liked the list. Unlike the one in OP, all cities are interesting and reviews are much better.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2022, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
Both are great cities.
I haven't been to Detroit in many years but I was in San Francisco earlier in the year and was a bit surprised. I thought the city would have a lot more people walking out and about, but it was mostly empty (besides the numerous homeless) almost everywhere I went except for Chinatown and Pier39. It changed a lot since the 80s when I first visited as a kid, it felt unsafe. Hopefully, it will get better because the natural scenic beauty is wonderful.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2022, 11:07 PM
Future God

This is JUST FOR 2022 Valencia and Park City so don't get a big head! On January 1st of 2023 you will spontaneously no longer be one of the world's greatest places. Hell, with the way these clickbait internet lists are produced, you may even find yourselves on the "World's Worst Places for 2023" list!

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Jul 16, 2022, 3:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labtec View Post
I haven't been to Detroit in many years but I was in San Francisco earlier in the year and was a bit surprised. I thought the city would have a lot more people walking out and about, but it was mostly empty (besides the numerous homeless) almost everywhere I went except for Chinatown and Pier39. It changed a lot since the 80s when I first visited as a kid, it felt unsafe. Hopefully, it will get better because the natural scenic beauty is wonderful.
I was there last month and there's definitely not as much pedestrian activity as pre-pandemic, but you can say that about almost every city. I didn't feel unsafe, though. It felt busy enough that you didn't feel isolated walking around downtown.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions