HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Jul 14, 2022, 7:52 PM

Edit: Never mind. Out of sight, out of mind.

Last edited by RCDC; Jul 15, 2022 at 5:16 PM.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2022, 3:54 PM
TL;DR

God all that crap is so ugly. I guess I can excuse the retaining walls along Vets Pkwy but the flyover at Kenilworth is so bad. It looks air-dropped in from Houston.

Even the prettified rendering is bad:
https://www.purplelinemd.com/images/..._Rendering.jpg

Last edited by ardecila; Jul 15, 2022 at 4:07 PM.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2022, 4:59 PM
Show me the blueprints

Don't get me goin

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jul 15, 2022, 5:05 PM

Baffling.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2022, 5:54 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCDC View Post
Edit: Never mind. Out of sight, out of mind.
I sincerely apologize if you took that personally... I appreciate you posting the updates! We don't see too much Purple Line content on this thread, which is a shame as it is a nationally-important transit project and could totally transform those parts of MoCo and PG.

My gripe is with Hogan's cut-to-the-bone budget strategy for the project, and the deeply broken P3 procurement process that forced a lot of these bad decisions up and down the line.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2022, 6:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
God all that crap is so ugly. I guess I can excuse the retaining walls along Vets Pkwy but the flyover at Kenilworth is so bad. It looks air-dropped in from Houston.

Even the prettified rendering is bad:
They should at least let local artists paint murals on some of that gray.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2022, 7:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
I sincerely apologize if you took that personally... I appreciate you posting the updates! We don't see too much Purple Line content on this thread, which is a shame as it is a nationally-important transit project and could totally transform those parts of MoCo and PG.
I liked the updates as well!

The flyover doesn't look that different from Chicago's Belmont flyover. Then again, the Belmont flyover is partially covered up by buildings while the Kenilworth flyover is visibly along a stroad.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2022, 7:55 PM
Show me the blueprints

I believe thats the flyover that was originally designed to be a MSE embankment but the community feedback over the physical and psychological "barrier" that would create led to the open highway style viaduct. This viaduct could be handled better. That weird exposed girder end where the track swings out for the platform is just the definition of design incompetence. I don't totally hate the colored faux stone form-work but would have preferred either real veneer at the station or something simpler and less "ye-olde", but no doubt an "accomidation" for the community. I admittedly have a bit of an obsession with ivy (and acknowledge it's maintenance challenges), but one solution for harsh concrete infrastructure is to integrate natural plantlife like ivy cover creating a living bridge. I think that would have looked neat as hell and pretty fantastic IMO.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jul 15, 2022, 10:54 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
I believe thats the flyover that was originally designed to be a MSE embankment but the community feedback over the physical and psychological "barrier" that would create led to the open highway style viaduct. This viaduct could be handled better. That weird exposed girder end where the track swings out for the platform is just the definition of design incompetence. I don't totally hate the colored faux stone form-work but would have preferred either real veneer at the station or something simpler and less "ye-olde", but no doubt an "accomidation" for the community. I admittedly have a bit of an obsession with ivy (and acknowledge it's maintenance challenges), but one solution for harsh concrete infrastructure is to integrate natural plantlife like ivy cover creating a living bridge. I think that would have looked neat as hell and pretty fantastic IMO.
It started life as an open structure, the sketches showed a fairly slender bridge girder on single piers like Chicago's Belmont flyover.
https://wamu.org/wp-content/uploads/...-1500x1031.jpg

A more developed rendering showed interesting triangular bridge piers and what look like sleek steel box girders for the bridge deck:
https://www.hyattsvillewire.com/wp-c...1.08.13-PM.png

The MSE embankment (dubbed the "Trump Wall" by local residents) came in response to Hogan's budget cuts:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-ap...9051.jpg&w=691

Then the Purple Line Transit Partners backtracked once PG County agreed to pay the cost difference to go back to an open structure, and they ended up with this:

The station is still slated to receive some kind of art installation, so this may soften the viaduct somewhat.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2022, 11:03 PM
Show me the blueprints

Ooof...i really botched that one. I remembered all that once you posted it.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2022, 4:09 PM
Show me the blueprints

Reposted from CityComp thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 202_Cyclist View Post
These renderings look great.

Grimshaw and Arup unveil designs for their massive Union Station revamp in D.C.

By Josh Niland
July 26, 2022
Archinect

Rendering courtesy of Architect.

Rendering courtesy of Architect.

"A short month removed from its last update on the $10 billion project, Grimshaw Architects has unveiled renderings for the expansion of Union Station in Washington, D.C. that provide a clearer picture of how the revised plan will take shape over the coming two decades.

At the center of the design is the new train concourse defined by a clear-span roof canopy and beset with a series of skylight features lying directly north of the existing Beaux-Arts hall from 1907. Much of that original structure has been left untouched, while transportation upgrades are present in the form of expanded rail platforms, an elevated and greenery-lined new drop-off area, and new entry portals that alleviate crowding from the Columbus Circle side while allowing access to the nearby H Street corridor..."

https://archinect.com/news/article/1...-revamp-in-d-c

Old Posted Aug 29, 2022, 12:16 PM

I don't recall if I ever posted a link to my previous versions of the WMATA Regional System Track Schematic in this forum.

Latest version of my 129 Mile Area Regional System Track Schematic (08 28 2022)

Question, comments, corrections and additional information on Dulles Yard welcome.

Last edited by cambron J; Aug 31, 2022 at 12:43 AM.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2022, 1:19 PM

New Carrollton train hall will unite transit lines, bike lanes, retail
Prince George’s busiest transit stop braces for pedestrian enhancements amid growing development

By Luz Lazo
Washington Post
August 25, 2022

“ The construction of a train hall, sidewalks and bike lanes planned for next year at New Carrollton will mark a major milestone in the long-planned transformation of Prince George’s County’s busiest transit hub.
The $47 million project, which this month received a $20.5 million federal grant, will help create a seamless space between all the modes of transportation in the area and aims to bind together the ongoing development featuring offices, housing and shops at the easternmost terminus of Metro’s Orange Line in central Prince George’s.

County and private development officials say they hope the investment, along with other efforts to boost housing and transit, will spur the kind of growth needed to create a vibrant urban place in an area now mostly known as a transportation hub.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/trans...ro-train-hall/

Old Posted Aug 29, 2022, 3:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 202_Cyclist View Post
New Carrollton train hall will unite transit lines, bike lanes, retail
Prince George’s busiest transit stop braces for pedestrian enhancements amid growing development

By Luz Lazo
Washington Post
August 25, 2022

“ The construction of a train hall, sidewalks and bike lanes planned for next year at New Carrollton will mark a major milestone in the long-planned transformation of Prince George’s County’s busiest transit hub.
The $47 million project, which this month received a $20.5 million federal grant, will help create a seamless space between all the modes of transportation in the area and aims to bind together the ongoing development featuring offices, housing and shops at the easternmost terminus of Metro’s Orange Line in central Prince George’s.

County and private development officials say they hope the investment, along with other efforts to boost housing and transit, will spur the kind of growth needed to create a vibrant urban place in an area now mostly known as a transportation hub.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/trans...ro-train-hall/
Great looking development — world class. It would be nice to see other major transit hubs in the metro rise to this level of design.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2022, 4:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prahaboheme View Post
Great looking development — world class. It would be nice to see other major transit hubs in the metro rise to this level of design.
Indeed. With the Orange line, MARC, Amtrak, and the Purple line light-rail that is under construction, New Carrollton will have a lot of transit options.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2022, 9:28 AM

Metro unveils new map that includes Silver Line extension

"Metro unveiled a revised map Friday that includes seven new stations and the 11½-mile Silver Line extension, signaling that the agency is moving closer to opening the long-awaited project that has been under construction for eight years."

"Helmut Jahn has never suffered a failure of nerve."

Old Posted Sep 26, 2022, 1:50 PM
Show me the blueprints

I wish Metro would move past the color line naming scheme and just implement a simple number system like follows:

M1

M2

M3

M4

M5

M6

Old Posted Oct 21, 2022, 12:52 PM

Testing Out New Transportation Options in the Nation’s Capital

Route Fifty
By Molly Bolan
Oct. 20, 2022

"Washington, D.C. is launching a new initiative to test out emerging transportation options, like electric cargo bikes and on-demand shuttles, in the southwest corner of the city. But the project is about much more than splashy vehicle tech, according to local officials.

While the “mobility innovation district” will look at ways to make it easier for residents and visitors to get around, another key goal has to do with equity and giving people in underserved neighborhoods better options for traveling to work and other destinations.

City officials say they’ll learn what initiatives work best and try to replicate those in other parts of town, Deputy Mayor John Falcicchio said at the project’s kick-off event on Thursday..."

https://www.route-fifty.com/tech-dat...apital/378720/

Old Posted Oct 26, 2022, 1:18 PM

DCist: Safety Commission Approves Metro’s Plan To Return All 7000-Series Trains, Silver Line To Open Before Thanksgiving

Quote:
Metro has the green light to bring all the 7000-series trains back to the tracks, with restrictions.

The Washington Metrorail Safety Commission said Tuesday they agreed to Metro’s revised plan. The approval gives Metro the trains needed to open the Silver Line extension before Thanksgiving, eventually increase service on the crowded Red Line, and maintain service levels across the rest of the system.
Quote:
The approved plan allows certain trains to only run on certain lines. The Safety Commission wants to isolate as many variables as possible. The 7000-series trains were first made with wheels that were pressed on at a lower pressure. Metro requested a change in the middle of manufacturing to have the wheels pressed on with more pressure. The low-press tonnage wheels were found to have an anomaly where wheels spread apart more often than the high-press tonnage wheels. The Safety Commission also was concerned about how tighter curves on the Blue, Orange, and Silver lines would affect the low-pressed wheels. They noted that “there are multiple contributing factors to this wheel migration… including factors that could differ across similar elements of the Metrorail system, and that wheel migration remains under investigation.”

Old Posted Oct 26, 2022, 2:31 PM

We shall see if the Silver Line extension actually opens before Thanksgiving.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation