HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted May 10, 2011, 7:51 PM
All-American City Boy

Two of my favorite buildings in the world!!!!

4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo

Old Posted Jul 10, 2011, 2:49 PM
Dryer lint inspector

I love the NiMo building in Syracuse:

Old Posted Aug 10, 2011, 4:07 AM

When I have a bit more time, I'll go through and update any missing pictures.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2011, 4:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dralcoffin View Post
When I have a bit more time, I'll go through and update any missing pictures.
You should do comparable lists for 1960, 70, 80, and 90 to demonstrate the dramatic growth of the cities in the south, southwest, and west.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2011, 7:09 AM
Paramoderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dralcoffin View Post
Yeah, every year in the late 20s and early 30s, New York was adding the equivalent of most other major skylines to its own. One "what if" I wonder about is if the GD had never happened, what would have happened to skylines? How long would the ESB have stayed the world's tallest? When would the masonry of the pre-war buildings finally give way to the glass boxes?

During the Great Depression, the only major buildings finished in the late 1930s were government structures like New York's Federal Courthouse and Kansas City's City Hall. It's no accident the fastest growing cities in the 1930s were Washington (Fed Gov) and Los Angeles (symbol of a new start).

The Mercantile Exchange Building in Dallas and a few of the Rockefeller Plaza buildings were the only commercial skyscrapers built in the States between 1934 and 1947.
Yeah, I was about to say, Los Angeles, not being as connected to the Financial World as other cities, never really stopped building during the 30s. In fact, most of our best buildings are from the 30s - early 40s.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2011, 12:18 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Motion to prevent demolition of any of these towers?
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Sep 25, 2013, 9:17 PM

buffalo had 3 300+ footers,
rand building at 391 ft.
city hall at 378
liberty building at 334 ft

Old Posted Oct 25, 2015, 5:34 PM

[QUOTE=HomrQT;5272924]Two of my favorite buildings in the world!!!!

Whats interesting is that if this building were made with concrete instead of white rock, it would look like the stereotypical brutalist/modernist POS that weve grown to love to hate so much. I almost wonder if this is what a lot of architects at the time were going for but just didnt predict how bad concrete actually looks in real life

Old Posted Oct 26, 2015, 4:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxRox View Post

2) PSFS Building, 492 ft, 1932
The first International Style skyscraper in the States, and a sign of buildings to come...

(Phillyskyline.com)
God, I wonder what people back in the day thought of this hideous building, going from gorgeous and opulent Art Deco to whatever the hell this is. This was a sheer bad omen and a depressing one at that, architecture in the U.S. was going to absolute hell after this. I hope they were prepared.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2015, 5:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
God, I wonder what people back in the day thought of this hideous building, going from gorgeous and opulent Art Deco to whatever the hell this is. This was a sheer bad omen and a depressing one at that, architecture in the U.S. was going to absolute hell after this. I hope they were prepared.
Won't you plz stop this?

1 - You're being ignorant and uselessly insulting to those who brought innovation.

2 - The Bible clearly orders you to stop calling on God for nothing, just like that, as if it was something random. Besides, you know it well. Talking like an average lost Muslim saying "inch Allah" for anything completely random.
Hey bros, I'm gonna take a piss. Inch Allah!
Bwahahaha!

3 - Given the obvious historic significance of such a building, it'd be kind of criminal to ever change any detail of it.

I think you're from Michigan, eh? You see that building?

When I first came to those urban forums, I still disliked it. Now I would almost burn alive on a public square anyone who'd try to change it, as taught by the good old medieval fashion you seem to still enjoy...

Old Posted Oct 26, 2015, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousquet View Post
Won't you plz stop this?

1 - You're being ignorant and uselessly insulting to those who brought innovation.

2 - The Bible clearly orders you to stop calling on God for nothing, just like that, as if it was something random. Besides, you know it well. Talking like an average lost Muslim saying "inch Allah" for anything completely random.
Hey bros, I'm gonna take a piss. Inch Allah!
Bwahahaha!

3 - Given the obvious historic significance of such a building, it'd be kind of criminal to ever change any detail of it.

I think you're from Michigan, eh? You see that building?

When I first came to those urban forums, I still disliked it. Now I would almost burn alive on a public square anyone who'd try to change it, as taught by the good old medieval fashion you seem to still enjoy...
1. Innovation? Maybe structurally and in efficiency or some way I'm not aware of, but sure as hell not aesthetically. It's a hideous building, period. A lot of people find mid-century architecture to be a hideous failure (of course there are some exceptions). A stark contrast between it's style and that of Art Deco.

2. I don't even know what the fuck you're talking about in this paragraph, you seem to love making strange and offensive comments on race and religion that don't translate well in English.

3. Historical significance? if you say so. It was the first of it's terrible kind, if you call that significant.

I admire traditional architecture, most other people do as well. I'm simply conveying my opinions, lord knows you love to do the same. But I guess if you were in charge you would destroy every Haussmann building in Paris to make way for a shiny glass shower curtain wall.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2015, 8:58 PM

Um, ouais... Never mind. Am I seriously racist now? I'm sorry... Wait, where is the sorry red face?... Ah, here it is:
You see, that would make me lol to be called a racist, to be frank.

Otherwise, you're very kind to show your positive appreciation of the traditional kind of European urban fabric - some of which was built on the money earned from slave trading to the Americas by the way - but in case you wouldn't have noticed yet, we've got quite a huge load of that kind of modern buildings too. Only, they were built 30 to 40 years later, hence the pioneering and historic character of that particular one, and ours are usually shorter and poorly laid out for surrounded by surface parking lots. They were built by the time when the automotive was supposed to rule anything in the world and made the stereotype of the so-called banlieue of themselves in the end.

Then yes, I would surely tear down a lot of those to make room for "more shiny glass shower curtain walls" and other contemporary stuff properly laid out over here, no doubt. But certainly not that one in Philadelphia.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2022, 1:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
here are a couple chicago projects that were killed of by the great depression.

Apparel Mart - 75 floors - 845'

it would have been the tallest building in chicago at the time.

and there was this wild rockefeller center style mega development titled "terminal city" that would have occupied what is now illinois center and lakeshore east. this one was really just more of a visions and may not have ever seen the light of day even without the GD.

Dang I just found this thread but the first tower would've been beautiful and grand cause Chicago doesn't have any really tall art deco towers so this would've been epic.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture