HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Oct 17, 2022, 9:15 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Investing In Chicago View Post
- I see this quite a bit in Chicago as well, people parking on the grass instead of the street.
Where?

I've lived here my entire life and I can't recall ever seeing a car parked on the parkway.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2022, 9:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
Where?

I've lived here my entire life and I can't recall ever seeing a car parked on the parkway.
Well not so much the parkway, more just parked in the goddamn grass, but I see it all the time when I'm visiting my buildings. Ironically the two examples off the top of my head have cars on the grass. I can throw a football at both these examples from two of my buildings.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8249...7i16384!8i8192

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8508...7i16384!8i8192

I was telling a guy who lives nearby that if people stopped parking their cars on the grass, that would improve the look of the neighborhood immensely. He agreed, as anyone would.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2022, 9:34 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ well, I was specifically talking about people parking in the parkway (or tree lawn as they're sometimes referred to in other cities), as shown in that Florida street view, not people using vacant lots as parking lots.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2022, 9:38 PM
Rust Belt Motherland

Quote:
Where?

People do it on South Shore Dr between 71st and 79th all the time since there’s no parking on that street. Usually they’re half in the bike lane and half on the parkway.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2022, 9:44 PM

Quote:
^ well, I was specifically talking about people parking in the parkway (or tree lawn as they're sometimes referred to in other cities), as shown in that Florida street view, not people using vacant lots as parking lots.
Parking on the parkway happens pretty much every home game for the White Sox too in Bridgeport.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2022, 9:48 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klippenstein View Post
People do it on South Shore Dr between 71st and 79th all the time since there’s no parking on that street.
i guess i gotta hang out more down in south shore.

google evidence: https://www.google.com/maps/@41.7628...7i16384!8i8192

Old Posted Oct 18, 2022, 12:27 AM

Quote:
i guess i gotta hang out more down in south shore.

google evidence: https://www.google.com/maps/@41.7628...7i16384!8i8192
That car ironically has a Florida plate.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2022, 1:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave8721 View Post
The area I grew up in in South Florida has the houses 6 feet or so above the street. And yes when my dad was older and had to use a wheelchair after getting out of surgery it was fun trying to get him out of the car into the chair on the inclined driveway.
Streets like this: https://www.google.com/maps/@25.5873...7i16384!8i8192
Wow, the street in this link is just a few blocks from where I grew up when I used to live in Miami. And yes, our driveway had the same incline!

Old Posted Oct 18, 2022, 1:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetscaper View Post
Wow, the street in this link is just a few blocks from where I grew up when I used to live in Miami. And yes, our driveway had the same incline!
If you're in a wheelchair, living with what's pictured there is 100x easier than being in a wheelchair in the Snow Belt.

My gf had a broken leg and was in a wheelchair for a while last winter (here in Quebec). Not pleasant pushing her through the slush on sidewalks. That Miami mildly sloping driveway would be nothing in comparison

Old Posted Oct 21, 2022, 4:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmecklenborg View Post
It's not climate change, it's the...climate. It's the topography. We should have never let people build homes - by the millions - 10 feet above sea level on a peninsula that is vulnerable on all sides to tropical cyclones.

Who is "we" in this instance? What gives "us" such authority and why is it okay, in your mind, to dictate how and why people live in some ways but not others.

Dont actually answer; I just love seeing the tyrants hiding inside every planning enthusiast reveal themselves.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2022, 4:36 AM
Never Dell

Great, we just won't subsidize home insurance in those places.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2022, 8:18 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Who is "we" in this instance? What gives "us" such authority and why is it okay, in your mind, to dictate how and why people live in some ways but not others.

Dont actually answer; I just love seeing the tyrants hiding inside every planning enthusiast reveal themselves.

we is better thought of as all of us as we all have to pay for florida’s subsidized insurance and then rescue and clean up after these annual storms. and not to mention florida won’t tax itself properly, so its a subsidized welfare state already. why should you or i pay for these yahoo’s roads and lifestyle and etc. down there? i dk, but we do.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2022, 2:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
we is better thought of as all of us as we all have to pay for florida’s subsidized insurance and then rescue and clean up after these annual storms. and not to mention florida won’t tax itself properly, so its a subsidized welfare state already. why should you or i pay for these yahoo’s roads and lifestyle and etc. down there? i dk, but we do.
The only reason "YOU" have to pay anything to Florida is due to federal laws about emergency management and infrastructure spending I would streatch a guess you wholly support.

- We want to have Fema and national infrastructure to help everyone
- OH BUT NOT IF YOUW ANT TO LIVE THERE

using it as a tool of control is pretty gross dont you think. Weird it also just happens to line up with your politics. Just a coincidence, im sure you mean all the best

Old Posted Oct 21, 2022, 3:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
The only reason "YOU" have to pay anything to Florida is due to federal laws about emergency management and infrastructure spending I would streatch a guess you wholly support.

- We want to have Fema and national infrastructure to help everyone
- OH BUT NOT IF YOUW ANT TO LIVE THERE

using it as a tool of control is pretty gross dont you think. Weird it also just happens to line up with your politics. Just a coincidence, im sure you mean all the best
This is such a strange argument. The Federal Government pays billions to subsidize people living in low-lying costal areas at high risk of flooding through the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP). It's unsustainable to continue to subsidize due to the growing amount of people living in these areas and climate change. If NFIP actually charged the true actuarial cost of insured loss, there are a lot of low lying places in Florida where it would not make any sense to continue to build sprawl. Those areas never should have been built in the first place, but NFIP for example made it viewable. Whether you like it or not, there are changes coming to federal policies, and climate change is here to stay.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2022, 6:07 PM

I hate to bring politics into it, but honestly the build-up of Florida as a retiree haven is probably a net negative for the Republican Party - at least since their current governor has gone out of his way to antagonize liberals.

In four short years, Florida has transformed from a state which targeted retirees of all stripes to one that particularly attracts conservative retirees. These retirees are still mostly from the Northeast and Midwest. Sure, some of them are in safe D states like NY and IL, but plenty are from PA, MI, WI, etc.

At the same time, lots of people who grew up in Florida are leaving the state, with the single highest outflows being swingy southern states like GA, TX, NC, VA, etc. If these people are more left-leaning than the state at large, than it's actually moving all of them to the left a bit.

Hence it's kinda a zero-sum game here.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions