HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Mar 7, 2021, 9:42 PM

Deleted by original poster.

Last edited by bilbao58; Mar 8, 2021 at 5:55 AM.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2021, 11:06 PM
Voice of the Modern World

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilbao58 View Post
Maybe it's just my personal bias. It's like the fact that most of the taller buildings here in San Antonio are hotels. It just suggests to me that there is less going on in the economy than in other cities. Which is true.
Disagree on several points.

The first point is that the residential buildings being the tallest in Austin suggests that there is pent up demand for high rise living and this is further evidenced by how tall and large these projects in Austin are. High rise living isn't as widespread in most US cities the way it is in Austin. This is more in line with Australian or Canadian cities than it is the US cities. Only NYC, Miami, and Honolulu have this much residential high rises in their cores. Other cities, yeah they have highrises for living but those are a small share of the highrises in those cities and not by any means a majority. In 98% of the US cities, the tallest building is an office building or a mixed use building that includes some office, which are well known to have larger floor to ceiling heights than residential and hotels. I mean to have a supertall proposed and moving forward in its permitting process during the pandemic is a very big deal.

The second point that I disagree with is the suggestion that Austin's economy is not sufficient enough to get tall buildings. That's a crazy opinion. Austin has been in the Top 3 for job growth and GDP growth for the entire last decade, the other two places on that level are San Jose and San Francisco. Austin is poised to soon be one of the first major cities out of the pandemic recession and into job growth, along with SLC. And the vacancy rate in Downtown Austin is 8% compared to 20% in Houston and a few other major cities. And it’s almost above 15% in most major US cities, considering what the office market has had to go through since the pandemic, Austin is still a very tight office market.

Austin also leads the US in office space construction the last 3 years straight, it's Austin and Nashville as the top two for that. Even in the pandemic, there are large companies looking for large amounts of office space. Facebook is in the market for 1 million square feet in DT Austin and TikTok is said to be looking for a big chunk of space in DT Austin as well.

Last edited by N90; Mar 8, 2021 at 12:26 AM.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2021, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N90 View Post
Disagree on several points.

The first point is that the residential buildings being the tallest in Austin suggests that there is pent up demand for high rise living and this is further evidenced by how tall and large these projects in Austin are. High rise living isn't as widespread in most US cities the way it is in Austin. This is more in line with Australian or Canadian cities than it is the US cities. Only NYC, Miami, and Honolulu have this much residential high rises in their cores. Other cities, yeah they have highrises for living but those are a small share of the highrises in those cities and not by any means a majority. In 98% of the US cities, the tallest building is an office building or a mixed use building that includes some office, which are well known to have larger floor to ceiling heights than residential and hotels. I mean to have a supertall proposed and moving forward in its permitting process during the pandemic is a very big deal.

The second point that I disagree with is the suggestion that Austin's economy is not sufficient enough to get tall buildings. That's a crazy opinion. Austin has been in the Top 3 for job growth and GDP growth for the entire last decade, the other two places on that level are San Jose and San Francisco. Austin is poised to soon be one of the first major cities out of the pandemic recession and into job growth, along with SLC. And the vacancy rate in Downtown Austin is 8% compared to 20% in Houston and above 15% in most major US cities, considering what the office market has had to go through since the pandemic, Austin is still a very tight office market.

Austin also leads the US in office space construction the last 3 years straight, it's Austin and Nashville as the top two for that. Even in the pandemic, there are large companies looking for large amounts of office space. Facebook is in the market for 1 million square feet in DT Austin and TikTok is said to be looking for a big chunk of space in DT Austin as well.
While I don’t think lack of tall office buildings means there’s a lack of economic activity, Austin is just different.

Downtown Austin has been more Vancouver-ish than a traditional American downtown in terms of what’s being built. The state government is upgrading and building a lot of mid sized office buildings. Tech is now building a few large office buildings. It will look a lot different in a few years but most of the office is being built not in downtown like everywhere else.

I live near the Domain and North Austin is just now starting to look like West Houston or North Dallas in terms of height.

"Such then is the human condition , that to wish greatness for one's country is to wish harm to one's neighbor" Voltaire

Old Posted Mar 8, 2021, 12:04 AM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Quote:
And Houston's newest "commerce tower" currently under construction is still going to be taller than any currently existing building in Austin. It's the 3rd 700+ foot office building built by Hines Interests alone in downtown in the past 10 years.
Pointing out that Houston's tallest buildings were built before mixed use was a thing actually just reinforces my point that Austin can't fill a supertall with offices only, by the way.

You guys need to chill out. Austin's growth and changes are phenomenal. I hated the place back in 70s. I think it's very impressive now. I'm actually envious of a lot of what is being built in Austin now. I think developers in Houston are too conservative.
Young man, I tried to be nice...but, get the hell out of here. Don't turn this thread into a c-v-c battle!

Houston will never be Austin and Austin will never be Houston!

For what it's worth...Houston's office vacancy rate is more than 1200 basis points higher than Austin's at the moment (13% for Austin versus 25.5% for Houston. That's the highest vacancy rate of any large American city in 2020/three straight years of over 20% vacancies)!

Last edited by ILUVSAT; Mar 10, 2021 at 12:47 AM.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2021, 12:10 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
And Houston's newest "commerce tower" currently under construction is still going to be taller than any currently existing building in Austin. It's the 3rd 700+ foot office building built by Hines Interests alone in downtown in the past 10 years.
Pointing out that Houston's tallest buildings were built before mixed use was a thing actually just reinforces my point that Austin can't fill a supertall with offices only, by the way.

You guys need to chill out. Austin's growth and changes are phenomenal. I hated the place back in 70s. I think it's very impressive now. I'm actually envious of a lot of what is being built in Austin now. I think developers in Houston are too conservative.
City v. City is against the rules. Period. You should know any comment to that effect will provoke an argument.

Making rude comments (you’re being very belittling of Austin, frankly) that are designed to provoke and then telling someone to calm down after the expected response to the provocation is a hallmark of abusive behavior. Take that behavior elsewhere.
SATX: 1435k (+8%) + MSA suburbs: 1124k (+38%) + CSA exurbs: 18k (+11%)
ATX: 962k (+22%) + MSA suburbs: 1322k (+43%)

Old Posted Mar 8, 2021, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSAT View Post
Little man, I tried to be nice...but, get the hell out of here. Don't turn this thread into a c-v-c battle!

Houston will never be Austin and Austin will never be Houston!

For what it's worth...Houston's office vacancy rate is more than 1500 basis points higher than Austin's at the moment!
Which should be cautionary considering the tech bubble.

"Such then is the human condition , that to wish greatness for one's country is to wish harm to one's neighbor" Voltaire

Old Posted Mar 8, 2021, 3:01 AM

Deleted by original poster.

Last edited by bilbao58; Mar 8, 2021 at 5:57 AM.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2021, 3:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasPlaya View Post
I live near the Domain and North Austin is just now starting to look like West Houston or North Dallas in terms of height.
You might appreciate this then: When I lived in North Austin, it was so long ago that the Mo-Pac ended at Far West Blvd.

Last edited by bilbao58; Mar 8, 2021 at 4:09 AM.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2021, 5:52 AM

Quote:
You might appreciate this then: When I lived in North Austin, it was so long ago that the Mo-Pac ended at Far West Blvd.
That must have been shortly after this. MoPac wasn't quite extended to Camp Mabry at this point.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2021, 5:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
That must have been shortly after this.
A year or two...

Old Posted Mar 8, 2021, 6:41 PM
クラブトクヨ

That's a wild picture! Hard to imagine.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2021, 8:18 PM

https://www.google.com/maps/@30.3125...7i16384!8i8192

That building still exists too. It's slightly cut off but it's still there.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2021, 2:55 AM

Old Posted Mar 9, 2021, 2:22 PM
Member since 2001

These were posted by Urbannizer in the subforum:

New renderings of The Republic (46 stories/708' tall)

http://www.dudapaine.com/portfolio_page/the-republic/

Old Posted Mar 9, 2021, 2:53 PM

Looks good.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2021, 3:23 PM
クラブトクヨ

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoot View Post
These were posted by Urbannizer in the subforum:

New renderings of The Republic (46 stories/708' tall)

http://www.dudapaine.com/portfolio_page/the-republic/

Looks great!

Old Posted Mar 9, 2021, 3:29 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

Love it! Pickard-Chilton?
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Mar 9, 2021, 4:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
Love it! Pickard-Chilton?
Duda Paine.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2021, 6:13 PM

Office building! I take back everything I said!

Old Posted Mar 9, 2021, 6:16 PM

Sploosh!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations