HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Aug 7, 2019, 4:39 PM

Awesome news guys - Lufthansa returns to Sky Harbor via the Eurowings brand! April 2020 flights from PHX -> Frankfurt startup!

https://www.azfamily.com/news/eurowi...b25908a49.html

Old Posted Aug 7, 2019, 4:55 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymox View Post
Awesome news guys - Lufthansa returns to Sky Harbor via the Eurowings brand! April 2020 flights from PHX -> Frankfurt startup!

I thought Condor was a Lufthansa brand, I see now that Lufthansa sold it to Thomas Cook. It seems like Eurowings is a leisure brand from Lufthansa, which in my experience usually means tighter cabins and fewer amenities. Has anyone flown Eurowings and made a comparison?

I have nothing against low-cost leisure airlines, but it can be frustrating when they're the only option. For example, the only nonstop service between Phoenix and Montreal is via Air Canada Rouge, which is a stripped-down version of Air Canada's already average product.

Last edited by exit2lef; Aug 7, 2019 at 5:08 PM.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2019, 5:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
I thought Condor was a Lufthansa brand, I see now that Lufthansa sold it to Thomas Cook. It seems like Eurowings is a leisure brand from Lufthansa, which in my experience usually means tighter cabins and fewer amenities. Has anyone flown Eurowings and made a comparison?

I have nothing against low-cost leisure airlines, but it can be frustrating when they're the only option. For example, the only nonstop service between Phoenix and Montreal is via Air Canada Rouge, which is a stripped-down version of Air Canada's already average product.
Clearly useful for vacation flights - especially based on the season they are operating in. If you're flying with the kids - does a tighter cabin matter much if the flights are cheap? Plus being in the Lufthansa family I'd expect top notch service. Am curious to see what the flights cost...

Perhaps if successful Lufthansa returns itself in a few years with different routes...

Old Posted Aug 7, 2019, 8:53 PM

Quote:

Nice! Probably I will try to be on the inaugural flight. If this route has been so successful. Let see what happens.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2019, 1:37 AM

https://www.skyharbor.com/media/Pres...-to-hermosillo

American Airlines will add a second daily flight to Hermosillo.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2019, 4:26 AM

Old Posted Sep 20, 2019, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N830MH View Post
What a long-ass report, but thanks for posting!

Old Posted Oct 16, 2019, 8:04 PM

Construction Photos

I have some photos from a few of my recent trips. A few shots of the Terminal 3 construction. I also recall someone asking about the new Terminal 4 Southwest expansion. It appears they are building up the building pad and removing existing debris that was on the site. This area was random constriction staging for years.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2019, 11:52 PM

Wow! Very nice pics. Thanks for sharing!

As for S1 concourse, this is for Southwest Airlines concourse. Is scheduled to open in 2022.

It will connected the pediatrician bridge from S2-N2 concourse. No longer exiting from checkpoint A & D. You have exit from the concourse behind the checkpoint to connected the pediatrician bridge in between S2-N2 concourse. TSA will add PreCheck lanes at checkpoint A & D.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2019, 2:06 PM

[QUOTE=cygnusloop99;8719053]

I was a laborer working on building those bridges and retaining walls at terminal 3. Iirc, it was 1979.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2019, 12:15 AM

Hi all,

Tonight is the last BA 747 out of PHX. They will downgrade to 787-9 Dreamliner by tomorrow.

G-CIVA is on the way to Phoenix now. Get your camera ready!!! I won't be at airport tonight. This is for the last time. You will miss 747 very much.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2019, 1:16 AM

Skybridge Arizona broke ground at Williams Field today.

https://twitter.com/MesaEconDev/stat...491833857?s=19

Old Posted Oct 30, 2019, 4:07 AM

Hi all,

Spirit Airlines move to T3S concourse. Other airlines T2 & Air Canada and Hawaiian Airlines will move to T3N concourse. Once T3N concourse is open. Scheduled to open in between January or February during at that time.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2019, 4:26 AM

Quote:
Hi all,

Spirit Airlines move to T3S concourse. Other airlines T2 & Air Canada and Hawaiian Airlines will move to T3N concourse. Once T3N concourse is open. Scheduled to open in between January or February during at that time.
I noticed the sign last week when I flew out to OAK. Does T3 allow any of these airlines to expand service? Or are we replacing exactly the same number of gates we have in T2?

Old Posted Oct 30, 2019, 3:48 PM
Modulator

Sky Harbor has the best September numbers in its history. Looking good!

Quote:
Sky Harbor airport records best September numbers in history

September tends to be a slower month at Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport in terms of passengers, but in 2019 the Valley's primary airport reported the busiest September in its history.

The airport reported a total of 3,453,778 passengers flying into or out of Phoenix in September 2019, according to a report released Monday by the city of Phoenix Aviation Department. That is a 6.5% increase from September 2018, when 3.24 million passengers traveled through Sky Harbor.

The total number of flights that landed at Sky Harbor increased in September from the same month last year by 3.4% to 14,512.

All four of the largest carriers at Sky Harbor — American Airlines Inc. (Nasdaq: AAL), Southwest Airlines Co. (NYSE: LUV), Delta Air Lines Inc. (NYSE: DAL) and United Airlines Inc. (NYSE: UAL) – reported year-over-year total passenger increases from September 2018 to September 2019.

Delta and American reported the largest jumps in passengers among the top airlines with 10% and 7.9%, respectively.

United saw its passenger count climb 3.6% in September, while Southwest only saw a 0.9% increase. Southwest is still suffering the effects from the grounding of the Boeing 737 MAX jet, which it frequently used on routes to Phoenix.

Some of Sky Harbor’s smaller carriers, such as Alaska Airlines (NYSE: ALK) and Frontier Airlines, saw large growth in passenger numbers as well. Frontier reported a 73% increase, while Alaska reported a 32.6% increase.

July through November tends to be slower months for Sky Harbor. Total passenger numbers tick up around the holiday travel season and increase even more as Phoenix’s tourism season begins in January.

Sky Harbor also alerted passengers to beware of flight delays in early November when one of the airport’s runways is repaired.
Source: https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/....html?ana=knxv

Old Posted Nov 1, 2019, 12:19 AM

Quote:
I noticed the sign last week when I flew out to OAK. Does T3 allow any of these airlines to expand service? Or are we replacing exactly the same number of gates we have in T2?
No, it's different number of gates. Not exactly same.

Yes, they are expanded more.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 10:55 PM

Sky Harbor is the best big airport in the U.S., Wall Street Journal says

Beat out DIA for this latest Sky Harbor accolade.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/trav...us/4181866002/

Old Posted Nov 14, 2019, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
Beat out DIA for this latest Sky Harbor accolade.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/trav...us/4181866002/
Thanks for posting.

Limited international service?
Sadly true

Outdated Photo of Downtown?
Of course: https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-bes...19-11573658675

Old Posted Nov 14, 2019, 6:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azliam View Post
Thanks for posting.

Limited international service?
Sadly true
Yes, only limited international flight. Condor is still operate for Spring/Summer/Fall seasonal, but not for winter time. Only for every 5 or 6 months.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2019, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Yes, only limited international flight. Condor is still operate for Spring/Summer/Fall seasonal, but not for winter time. Only for every 5 or 6 months.
Since we're speaking about flying, let me just say that I believe Phoenix continues to fly so much under the radar even still with all of the growth that has occurred. Even though our MSA is nearly at 5 million, we're still not good enough for an MSL expansion soccer team. Not good enough for more TATL/TPAC international service. Yet other smaller cities continue to receive both. I thought Sky Harbor used an incentives program to entice other carriers to launch new routes to and from Phoenix, but it appears other cities are capturing those routes more quickly.

Is the problem really due to our location and proximity to other cities, lack of F500 companies, or is it and outdated image that people still have of Phoenix - or all of the above? Does the city need to market itself differently?

After all, there are still quite a lot of people out there who still believe it's hot all year round in Phoenix, that we're still primarily just a snowbird haven, that we haven't mitigated our water issues, that we sprawl more than any other metro area, etc. And others seem to gloss over the fact that we continue to have very high numerical population growth, job growth, diversified economy, and despite our lackluster downtown (in comparison to other places) that we have made serious strides both there and in Tempe. When will the masses start to acknowledge all of the positive change in Phoenix? Will this take another generation or two to accomplish?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest