HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Apr 20, 2019, 12:27 PM
self-important urbanista

Metro Phoenix Aviation Thread

Starting this separate thread for discussion of developments at Sky Harbor, Gateway, and other airports in the Phoenix Metropolitan Area.

Last edited by exit2lef; Apr 24, 2019 at 3:14 PM.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2019, 3:42 PM

Great idea! I think we should definitely kick it off with this excellent find by PHXFlyer11 of the newest Sky Harbor Airport Master Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 View Post
I found it. It's really quite impressive:

https://www.skyharbor.com/docs/defau...01-30-2019.pdf

Old Posted Apr 20, 2019, 5:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
Great idea! I think we should definitely kick it off with this excellent find by PHXFlyer11 of the newest Sky Harbor Airport Master Plan
Yes, thank you for creating this!

The security plaza - do any other US airports currently have this? (I can’t think of any). The only place I recall seeing this was in other countries - particularly Israel. Other than to cut down cut-through traffic - is this a new security requirement by the TSA now?

Also - wondering why the plans for the West Terminal? I get the need to expand out to support more wide body plane as we attract more international routes. And the upgrade plan for the international concourse removes one of the concourses to make room for this. But are we expecting a major expansion in operations from any particular airline to justify this? Knowing these projects just don’t materialize from the ground in months and we need to build ahead of demand, but I wonder if this is just too far? Seems like there’s more flip-flopping of terminals with a new one/section so they can then go and relocate airlines to the new so we can renovate an existing one over the next 10-15 years or so...

Old Posted Apr 20, 2019, 6:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymox View Post

The security plaza - do any other US airports currently have this? (I can’t think of any). The only place I recall seeing this was in other countries - particularly Israel. Other than to cut down cut-through traffic - is this a new security requirement by the TSA now?
I doubt it's a TSA requirement. But only similar one I can think is DFW and the toll booths. So kinda like it but not having to pay of course to access Sky Harbor. I think it's just a deterrent more than anything...

Old Posted Apr 20, 2019, 6:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
Starting this separate thread for discussion of developments at Sky Harbor, Williams Gateway, and other airports in the Phoenix Metropolitan Area.
Great idea! I've been wanting this for quite some time.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2019, 8:07 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:

Also - wondering why the plans for the West Terminal? I get the need to expand out to support more wide body plane as we attract more international routes. And the upgrade plan for the international concourse removes one of the concourses to make room for this. But are we expecting a major expansion in operations from any particular airline to justify this? Knowing these projects just don’t materialize from the ground in months and we need to build ahead of demand, but I wonder if this is just too far? Seems like there’s more flip-flopping of terminals with a new one/section so they can then go and relocate airlines to the new so we can renovate an existing one over the next 10-15 years or so...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
I doubt it's a TSA requirement. But only similar one I can think is DFW and the toll booths. So kinda like it but not having to pay of course to access Sky Harbor. I think it's just a deterrent more than anything...
As stated above, DFW is the only airport I can think of with something like this. It has plazas at the north and south ends. Sky Harbor is somewhat unique in terms of having two entrances that just happen to parallel freeways prone to rush hour congestion. Most airports have a more of a peninsular layout with just one primary way to reach the terminals.

As for the west terminal, I've been seeing plans on-and-off for decades. Back in the '90s, it was thought to be coming soon, but then 9-11 followed by the financial crash later in the same decade slowed down the growth of air travel. I think airport officials still think of it as something that may eventually be needed.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2019, 12:01 AM

I'm actually agree with you!

I think I can posts here. I will give you out any news about new route, new terminals or a new concourse, as well. PHX Skytrain to Rent Car Center construction is coming along nicely.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2019, 2:01 PM

Allegiant wants to fly to Mexico; will Mesa get flights?

Quote:
Low-cost carrier Allegiant Air said it has taken the first step toward offering flights to Mexico by filing its application with the U.S. Department of Transportation to begin service.

The airline’s business model focuses on bringing nonstop air service to leisure travelers from small and medium-size airports. Flights typically depart a couple of times a week to popular vacation destinations.

In a statement posted online for investors, Allegiant chairman and chief executive officer Maury Gallagher said, "Unlike other U.S. carriers, Allegiant has always been laser-focused on leisure travel and providing access to affordable, nonstop flights for those who wouldn't otherwise be able to go on vacation.

"Offering service to Mexico will provide a whole new array of options for travelers to discover world-class destinations that may have been previously out of reach."

The airline said it would announce the projected start date of service as well as the locations at a later date.

So the looming question is: Could Phoenix-Mesa Gateway Airport get flights to Mexico? There's one obstacle. The airport does not have a Customs and Immigration facility.

Gateway can only offer international flights to destinations with U.S. Customs preclearance. In preclearance destinations, U.S. customs officers stationed in those airports clear passengers to enter the U.S. before departure.

The process works just like it does at Customs and Immigration at an arrival airport in the U.S., but passengers do the customs process before boarding their U.S. bound flight.

Currently, the U.S. has preclearance in these airports:

Dublin and Shannon, Ireland.
Aruba.
Freeport and Nassau, Bahamas.
Bermuda.
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates.
Calgary, Toronto, Edmonton, Halifax, Montreal, Ottawa, Vancouver and Winnipeg, Canada.

In order to offer flights to Mexico, Mesa Gateway would need to add a Customs and Immigration facility or the destination airport would have to get preclearance capability.

How long does approval take?
Allegiant really can't predict how long the process will take. A spokesperson for the airline told The Arizona Republic that filing the application with the Department of Transportation was the first step.

Other airlines now have until mid-May to provide comment to the DOT before it determines whether to approve the application. The application would then be sent to the State Department for approval.

The airline then has to repeat a similar process in Mexico before it can finally launch flights.
https://www.azcentral.com/story/trav...ny/3540969002/

Old Posted Apr 24, 2019, 3:14 PM
self-important urbanista

^Given the current tensions between the United States and Mexico over trade and immigration, I think it's unlikely that we'll see U.S. preclearance facilities in Mexican airports anytime soon. That would mean that Gateway would have to add its own customs and immigration facility in order to gain service to and from Mexico. I don't enough about the airport to know if there's space for that, or if new construction would be required.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2019, 1:01 AM

Quote:
^Given the current tensions between the United States and Mexico over trade and immigration, I think it's unlikely that we'll see U.S. preclearance facilities in Mexican airports anytime soon. That would mean that Gateway would have to add its own customs and immigration facility in order to gain service to and from Mexico. I don't enough about the airport to know if there's space for that, or if new construction would be required.
I don't think they have it yet. There's no US Preclearance facility in Mexico.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2019, 6:48 PM

PHX Mesa has customs on site so they can do international flights. I think the regulatory approval will be their biggest hurdle.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2019, 6:56 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by cygnusloop99 View Post
PHX Mesa has customs on site so they can do international flights. I think the regulatory approval will be their biggest hurdle.
Is customs already there for cargo? I don't think Gateway has any international flights, except for some from Canadian airports with their own U.S. preclearance facilities.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2019, 7:33 PM

Quote:
Is customs already there for cargo? I don't think Gateway has any international flights, except for some from Canadian airports with their own U.S. preclearance facilities.
Not yet...

https://kjzz.org/content/588879/new-...ateway-airport

Unclear if this is just for cargo or if its also for passengers. This could be what caused Allegiant to consider the flights to Mexico...

Old Posted Apr 26, 2019, 4:58 AM

Quote:
Not yet...

https://kjzz.org/content/588879/new-...ateway-airport

Unclear if this is just for cargo or if its also for passengers. This could be what caused Allegiant to consider the flights to Mexico...
Right! Not yet. They have wait from Mexican government approval. They will build US CBP facilities.

Quote:
Is customs already there for cargo?
Yes, just for cargo flight.

Old Posted May 7, 2019, 11:52 PM

T3 North Renovations

I snapped a pic after landing the other day. Looks like they have gutted the north terminal and ripped out the tarmac to replace the concrete.

Old Posted May 9, 2019, 11:43 PM
Chase M

American Airlines adding two new destinations to Phoenix hub.

From AA's website
http://news.aa.com/news/news-details...h/default.aspx

PHX-Chihuahua, Mexico (CUU)
Aircraft: CRJ700
Begins: Dec. 18 / Daily Year-round

PHX-Rapid City, South Dakota (RAP)
Aircraft: CRJ200
Begins: Sep. 4 / Daily Year-round

From AZ Central
https://www.azcentral.com/story/trav...ta/1151442001/

American Airlines will add a pair of new routes from Sky Harbor International Airport later this year, just two of several new domestic and international routes the Dallas-based carrier plans to add in time for winter.

On Sept. 4, American will start flying between Phoenix and Rapid City, South Dakota. The daily flight will operate year-round using a Bombardier CRJ200.

Beginning Dec. 18, American Airlines will add daily, year-round service between Phoenix and Chihuahua, Mexico. The route will use a Bombardier CRJ700.

The route marks the tenth destination that American service in Mexico from Phoenix and complements a similar route it operates between Dallas and Chihuahua, Mexico.

Tickets for these routes will be available for purchase beginning May 13.

Old Posted May 10, 2019, 1:42 AM

I do not remember local media picking this one up from Feb/March of this year:

VOLARIS NEW ROUTE TO CONNECT PHOENIX AND PUERTO VALLARTA

Quote:
Mexican low-cost airline company Volaris will begin operating a new route between the cities of Phoenix and Puerto Vallarta/Riviera Nayarit (PHX-PVR) starting on June 16, in order to expand its connectivity to the Mexican Pacific Coast area.

Last Friday, February 8th, the airline opened ticket sales for the new flight that will be permanent and will connect the the Southwest of the United States and Puerto Vallarta/Riviera Nayarit, operating two frequencies per week on Fridays and Sundays.

“The route between Phoenix and Puerto Vallarta allows Volaris to consolidate its presence in the international market, expanding its destination portfolio and positioning itself as the Mexican airline with the most flights from one of Mexico’s most important destinations,” said airline executives.

The airline expectations are high for the flight as this is a very important market not only of travelers of Mexican descent, but also of North Americans who reside in Phoenix and the surrounding areas and like to vacation in Mexico.

The flight to Phoenix is one of several recent new flight announcements to the US and Canada, including the Sun Country flight from Las Vegas and the Swoop flight that began two connections earlier this year from Hamilton and Abbotsford, Canada.

https://vallartalifestyles.com/volar...uerto-vallarta

Old Posted May 22, 2019, 2:22 AM
Chase M

Goodbye BA 747 to PHX

From 27 October 2019 - British Airways' flights between London Heathrow and Phoenix Sky Harbor/San Diego will swap
  • LHR-PHX will move from Terminal 3 to Terminal 5 and be operated by B789 instead of B747
  • LHR-SAN will move from T5 to T3 and be operated by B747 instead of B789
Via twitter "SeanM1997" https://twitter.com/SeanM1997

and... "Airlineroute" on twitter... https://twitter.com/Airlineroute
  • British Airways to operate 787-9 to Phoenix from 27OCT19, replacing 747-400 in winter 2019/20 season. 777-300ER still scheduled in summer 2020 season from 29MAR20

Old Posted May 22, 2019, 4:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseM View Post
From 27 October 2019 - British Airways' flights between London Heathrow and Phoenix Sky Harbor/San Diego will swap
  • LHR-PHX will move from Terminal 3 to Terminal 5 and be operated by B789 instead of B747
  • LHR-SAN will move from T5 to T3 and be operated by B747 instead of B789
Via twitter "SeanM1997" https://twitter.com/SeanM1997

and... "Airlineroute" on twitter... https://twitter.com/Airlineroute
  • British Airways to operate 787-9 to Phoenix from 27OCT19, replacing 747-400 in winter 2019/20 season. 777-300ER still scheduled in summer 2020 season from 29MAR20
What in the hell is terminal 5

Old Posted May 22, 2019, 4:26 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
What in the hell is terminal 5
I assume the terminal numbers are at Heathrow, not Sky Harbor.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest