HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jan 9, 2017, 9:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocoPhoenician View Post
Renaissance looks fantastic in the background - the Sheraton should take notes and get a new paint job, too.

Excited to watch Block 23 develop! Only complaint is that they're not doing a rooftop pool, I think it would have been a huge selling point for the apartment component.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2017, 9:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickw252 View Post
That's all new. I was at the Suns/Cavs game last night and didn't see it.
It was definitely like that Sunday morning, but it is recent, you're right.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2017, 1:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
Perhaps I was drinking last night and somehow missed it

Old Posted Jan 10, 2017, 6:11 AM

Block 23

Quote:
Don't they have to remove that underground parking garage that use to serve JC PENNEY'S on that lot?

Old Posted Jan 10, 2017, 7:17 AM
METRO: Encanto

Quote:
Originally Posted by airomero83 View Post
Cityscape update: Ahipoki Bowl going into the old Verizon space. From the PBJ article, "Cityscape has been revamping its shops here and there, taking out underperforming businesses and replacing them with more promising ones. Once the Verizon store is gone, Urban Outfitters and CVS Pharmacy will be the only remaining retail stores at CityScape."
Isn't Charming Charlie still there?

Old Posted Jan 10, 2017, 8:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUSunDevil View Post
Renaissance looks fantastic in the background - the Sheraton should take notes and get a new paint job, too.
I'm afraid there is no hope for the Sheraton as it is massive and ugly as hell no matter what color it is.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2017, 8:44 AM

Now if we could get something built at the Colliers hotel plot then the southern side of downtown would be pretty amazing considering how much activity is already going on there.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2017, 4:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael85225 View Post
I'm afraid there is no hope for the Sheraton as it is massive and ugly as hell no matter what color it is.
The Sheratan is ugly but sort of like the chase tower it has transcended ugliness and become part of downtown.

it could use a facelift at street level though

Old Posted Jan 10, 2017, 11:50 PM
Skyriser

We've talked about the 5th St / Roosevelt redevelopment project, but I didn't know it had a name or website.

http://www.theblocksroosevelt.com/

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 4:12 PM

Sorry for the poor photo quality but it looks like work is started on the worth house.

http://i.imgur.com/aqfRcFj.jpg

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 4:17 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Sorry for the poor photo quality but it looks like work is started on the worth house.

http://i.imgur.com/aqfRcFj.jpg
I've noticed that when passing the site this week. I'm relieved to see some progress. I made a small contribution toward rehabbing the structure, and many others gave a lot more. Without any updates, I was beginning to wonder it if was all a waste.

Across the street, I visited the new Jobot for the first time. They've warmed up the OSB space, which I've always liked. I still haven't seen the dreaded smoking on the patio. Maybe that's under discussion with Roosevelt Point or just on hiatus until warmer weather. The only sad note was seeing OSB's tower garden, which the chef used to grow fresh herbs, sitting unused off to the side.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 7:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
I've noticed that when passing the site this week. I'm relieved to see some progress. I made a small contribution toward rehabbing the structure, and many others gave a lot more. Without any updates, I was beginning to wonder it if was all a waste.

Across the street, I visited the new Jobot for the first time. They've warmed up the OSB space, which I've always liked. I still haven't seen the dreaded smoking on the patio. Maybe that's under discussion with Roosevelt Point or just on hiatus until warmer weather. The only sad note was seeing OSB's tower garden, which the chef used to grow fresh herbs, sitting unused off to the side.
I always thought that was a scam. Get others to pay for a property you will end up profiting from. Or was it put in a trust?

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 7:35 PM

It's just like sports.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 9:36 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownphxguy12 View Post
I always thought that was a scam. Get others to pay for a property you will end up profiting from. Or was it put in a trust?
No, and that's one of many reasons why I limited my contribution to a nominal amount. For me, it was a symbolic show of support. For me to make a contribution big enough to declare as a tax deduction would have required a more formal charitable structure.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 9:51 PM
Skyriser

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownphxguy12 View Post
Is this really a for-profit scheme? I was under the impression that both the owner and its uses would be non-profit/community-oriented.

I definitely don't see anybody getting rich over this.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 10:06 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
Is this really a for-profit scheme? I was under the impression that both the owner and its uses would be non-profit/community-oriented.

I definitely don't see anybody getting rich over this.
I've heard vague notions of using it as Roosevelt Row welcome center or as headquarters for Local First AZ. Both would be non-profit. I guess it is possible, however, that the building might eventually be sold to another owner and that profit might come into the picture then.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
I've heard vague notions of using it as Roosevelt Row welcome center or as headquarters for Local First AZ. Both would be non-profit. I guess it is possible, however, that the building might eventually be sold to another owner and that profit might come into the picture then.
A vistor center for downtown might be cool. Although I cant imagine that corner staying a little house for another 10-20 years. They'll probably have to move it again before too long

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 11:51 PM

The Whining Pig coming to Colliers Center

http://www.azcentral.com/story/enter...enix/96370516/

As for downtown Phoenix, Caprario said the landlord for Collier Center approached the group with the opportunity.
"We're taking over a space that has never been inhabited before," Caprario said. "Downtown has always been on our minds, but it wasn't necessarily the next spot we were going to look. We jumped on it ... because there's a lot of potential in downtown for the future."

Also coming soon to the Collier Center is The Park, scheduled to open early this year. The food-and-drink concept is in the former Stoudemire's space and is being built to resemble a park. A number of food trucks will be based at The Park, and 30 taps will be dedicated to beer and cocktails.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2017, 3:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floc34 View Post
http://www.azcentral.com/story/enter...enix/96370516/

As for downtown Phoenix, Caprario said the landlord for Collier Center approached the group with the opportunity.
"We're taking over a space that has never been inhabited before," Caprario said. "Downtown has always been on our minds, but it wasn't necessarily the next spot we were going to look. We jumped on it ... because there's a lot of potential in downtown for the future."

Also coming soon to the Collier Center is The Park, scheduled to open early this year. The food-and-drink concept is in the former Stoudemire's space and is being built to resemble a park. A number of food trucks will be based at The Park, and 30 taps will be dedicated to beer and cocktails.
The urban saloon in the Renaissance Hotel, Dust Cutter, has also opened.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2017, 4:29 AM

The space next to Coach's also opened. Looks pretty awesome, Willie's Taco Joint.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest