HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Jul 13, 2016, 12:14 PM

I thought they were going to start digging out the foundation for the new building?

Old Posted Jul 13, 2016, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christof View Post
I thought they were going to start digging out the foundation for the new building?
Pretty sure that the final design and budget for this have still not yet been formally approved (e.g., by the Penn Trustees, permitting authorities, etc.). Also, at least one page of the Penn Medicine web site refers to "construction beginning later this year":

Designing the New UPHS Patient Pavilion

Old Posted Jul 13, 2016, 1:59 PM
BANNED

well the building still hasn't been submitted to the CDR committee so it definitely hasn't been permitted yet. I can't see them letting this sit fallow for too long though.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2016, 11:24 PM

8/4/16

Some equipment on site. Looks like they're getting ready to drill for caissons

Old Posted Aug 5, 2016, 12:52 PM
BANNED

I would assume that means we will see an actual final design soon.....

Old Posted Aug 5, 2016, 1:22 PM

I thought they were going to dig down first in order to put in a parking lot / underground floors?

Old Posted Aug 5, 2016, 1:58 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I thought they were going to dig down first in order to put in a parking lot / underground floors?
i doubt a major parking garage is needed here considering the 1500 spot garage they put underground down the street next to the CHOP building.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2016, 4:13 PM

Quote:
Maybe the drill bits are to drill around the perimeter for pilings for the shoring wall?

Old Posted Aug 6, 2016, 5:45 AM
More of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1487 View Post
i doubt a major parking garage is needed here considering the 1500 spot garage they put underground down the street next to the CHOP building.
Well since the Vinoly hellraiser cube next door retains underscoped parking on its list of failures, I would say the trustees most definitely want more parking for their guests (patients), or at least a more robust valet. Remember this is first class "care" that attracts first class people from the auto centric suburbs.

The 4 massive parking garages towards University ave are for employees and students. And while I'm sure anybody (a guest) could park there, those garages do not feed into any buildings guests belong in.

Not to mention they lost a significant garage with this demolition.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2016, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Scale View Post
Well since the Vinoly hellraiser cube next door retains underscoped parking on its list of failures, I would say the trustees most definitely want more parking for their guests (patients), or at least a more robust valet. Remember this is first class "care" that attracts first class people from the auto centric suburbs.

The 4 massive parking garages towards University ave are for employees and students. And while I'm sure anybody (a guest) could park there, those garages do not feed into any buildings guests belong in.

Not to mention they lost a significant garage with this demolition.
whats the problem with parking at Pearlman, other then the only entrance being on the back side? I've had reason to park there 4 or 5 times w/o any issues. They have an insane number of staff to direct people around and answer questions.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2016, 12:30 AM
More of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Wide View Post
whats the problem with parking at Pearlman, other then the only entrance being on the back side? I've had reason to park there 4 or 5 times w/o any issues. They have an insane number of staff to direct people around and answer questions.
I was pulling in yesterday at 11am and cars were backed up, trying to get in, on E Service Dr. to Civic Center Blvd. and on Health Services Dr. To W Service Dr. There were 4 parking attendants/security looking people directing traffic, preventing the intersection (near the garage entrance) from getting blocked, and apologizing to people as they approached the turn down toward the gate. There was no construction going on. Upon entering, the inventory sign said there were 9 spaces available. At 11am.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2016, 3:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1487 View Post
There is suppose to be 4 levels of parking with this building. They were aiming for 1500 spots.

Chop's Garage was built with the future in mind. 1) Its split between employee parking and guest parking. 2) The building is still yet to be full occupied. 3) The Sea Shore house and Wood building are coming down in the future and more rooms and functions will be added, hence the demand for parking.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2016, 9:06 PM

Found a new render from early June:

Old Posted Aug 14, 2016, 4:09 AM
More of that.

^This is it. This is the updated shape based on the redesigns to include more natural light into the internal spaces (not just in patient rooms).

New natural light allowances are colored yellow on the four poins of the updated floor plan on the right.

The previous design only had natural light coming into patient rooms and the elevator banks. Nurses complained.

[/QUOTE]

Old Posted Aug 14, 2016, 3:10 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by im88 View Post
Found a new render from early June:
Wow. What an ugly design and plated in 14k gold. Big disappointment!

Old Posted Aug 14, 2016, 4:01 PM

They seem to be doing function over form with this building.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2016, 6:31 PM

Its better then the old Penn Tower it was replacing. Sooooo thats at least good :-P

Old Posted Aug 14, 2016, 7:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
Wow. What an ugly design and plated in 14k gold. Big disappointment!
I kind of like the gold. There are a lot of gold curtain walls in the sunbelt cities (specifically) in the southwest. Every time I see one I think about how I would expect them to come off as tacky but it isn't always the case.

However, overall the design is a disappointment.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2016, 8:03 PM

It's still underwhelming but it's a huge improvement over the pervious iteration.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2016, 9:05 PM
More of that.

It's definitely not a building for the ages.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive