HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Feb 20, 2020, 8:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Not so sure about it. Keep in mind that the Chicago MSA has added almost 20K people born in China between 2010 and 2018. There is a demand for new retail and restaurants. Additionally, with the 78 phase 1 happening, it should add some more demand.

I think also that many people who dont know how China is underestimate this stuff. I cant stress enough how much demand there is for restaurants even in truly small towns in China or little areas. Idk if we'll see all of this but won't be surprised if it all does happen sometime. There's much more demand per person than people might realize in this community. There is also a bit of interest from chains from China in Chicago opening up. Multiple in the pipeline for this year.

Speaking of Chinatown, anyone have a report on how the new hotel on Wentworth is going and the warehouse on Cermak converting to a new hotel, restaurants, etc?

Feb 1

Chicago | Chinatown by Harry Carmichael, on Flickr

Old Posted Feb 20, 2020, 11:26 PM

^ Thanks!

It looks like the Chinese mall at 2105 S Jefferson St with the upcoming Chongqing Hot Pot place has a name. Jefferson Square but the Chinese name ("天一广场") is Tianyi Square which also happens to be an area in Ningbo. Could also be translated as "Sky One Plaza". Besides that hot pot place, it looks like at least a cafe and possibly a supermarket are being built out in there.

I also want to remind some people that this is almost right behind the new big music venue opening next weeekend in Chicago (Radius) with a capacity of 3800 people

Last edited by marothisu; Feb 21, 2020 at 12:10 AM.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2020, 4:10 PM

This historic school (built 1894) got a conversion permit yesterday to turn into residential: https://www.google.com/maps/place/14...xB0wAHoECAsQAg

Great to see, it's a pretty hulking building and sitting empty adds some eeriness to the block (I used to live at Augusta/Ashland). GREAT to see it isn't being torn down, either! The plan to convert is originally from 2014 (according to a cursory google search) without many updates since then, so it sort of flew under the radar as far as I can tell.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2020, 4:16 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ NICE!

such a handsome building, love the brick detailing. glad to hear it won't be thrown away like so many other hundreds of wonderful buildings our city has tossed aside.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2020, 4:22 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handro View Post
This historic school (built 1894) got a conversion permit yesterday to turn into residential: https://www.google.com/maps/place/14...xB0wAHoECAsQAg

Great to see, it's a pretty hulking building and sitting empty adds some eeriness to the block (I used to live at Augusta/Ashland). GREAT to see it isn't being torn down, either! The plan to convert is originally from 2014 (according to a cursory google search) without many updates since then, so it sort of flew under the radar as far as I can tell.
My company tried to bid on this school for a residential conversion back in 2013, but Ald. Burnett wanted to give it to Northwestern Settlement. They focused on the low-rise annex first for an expansion of their community/educational programming. I think they are also doing the residential portion as affordable housing.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2020, 9:38 PM

777 N Franklin was approved. This is a pivotal project to me--extension of the burgeoning Chicago ave canyon from State St. to the river, and exclaimation point to the transformation of the Franklin canyon from Chicago to the river. Riding the brown north-south through this section has changed dramatically in the past 10 years.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2020, 10:09 PM

For those interested a public meeting about the possible redevelopment of Prizker Park at State & Van Buren.

Chicago Loop Site Community Meeting (RSVP)

6 to 7:30 p.m.,
Wednesday, March 4, 2020
Harold Washington Library Center, Cindy Pritzker Auditorium, 400 S. State St

Old Posted Feb 21, 2020, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
My company tried to bid on this school for a residential conversion back in 2013, but Ald. Burnett wanted to give it to Northwestern Settlement. They focused on the low-rise annex first for an expansion of their community/educational programming. I think they are also doing the residential portion as affordable housing.
Yep, the building's immediate neighbor is Rowe Middle School, which is a program of Northwestern Settlement. The school opened in 2014 (Rowe Elementary opened in 2009 at another location), so presumably Burnett put this project on hold in case Rowe needed the building. The middle school has been fully open for a few years now and there doesn't seem to be an imminent plan for expansion, so it seems that is no longer necessary (and Northwestern Settlement doesn't have any other immediate needs for it).

Old Posted Feb 22, 2020, 5:32 PM

Quote:
777 N Franklin was approved. This is a pivotal project to me--extension of the burgeoning Chicago ave canyon from State St. to the river, and exclaimation point to the transformation of the Franklin canyon from Chicago to the river. Riding the brown north-south through this section has changed dramatically in the past 10 years.

I wonder if there is any proactive effort to protect those old and/or "historic" buildings on Chicago Ave. We'll probably wait until it's too late.

Sarcasm aside many of those buildings have been rehabbed and well maintained without historic protections.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2020, 7:23 PM
TL;DR

Within the downtown zoning districts, small buildings have some protections built in because small lots are bad candidates for high rise redevelopment. If you’re a developer, you really want a larger site to work with. And assembling large sites from several smaller ones is extraordinarily difficult, it can take years.

New York, Hong Kong, and a few other cities can make “sliver towers” work on small sites but certainly not Chicago.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2020, 8:22 PM

"I wonder if there is any proactive effort to protect those old and/or "historic" buildings on Chicago Ave. We'll probably wait until it's too late."

None that Im aware of and I agree. The mix of new and old is interesting. To many bland podium towers would kill the urbanity on the street. The corner of Chicago and Wells had a great cluster of vintage 1890s Chicago buildings and should never have been demolished. The dwindling river north vintage stock needs to be protected better and towers forced to work in parking lots and or save facades or street / corner facing buildings that contribute to the character. The old walmart I dont think anyone could argue contributes to the character

Old Posted Feb 23, 2020, 1:12 AM
Urbane observer

Guys, it's important to remember that, to be legally defensible, landmark protection ordinances must have justifiable criteria for designating buildings. The Chicago ordinance says proposed landmarks must meet at least two of the following seven criteria: value as an example of City, State or National heritage; location of a site of a significant historic event, identification with a significant person, exemplary architecture, work of a significant architect or designer, representation of a significant theme, and a unique or distinctive visual feature. Property owners have not been shy about suing the city over any designations that might smack of vagueness.

"They add character" and "the replacement might be ugly" are not criteria that can survive a lawsuit.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2020, 10:13 AM

Realtors

Old Posted Feb 23, 2020, 10:31 AM

Tribune Tower Rehab

Old Posted Feb 23, 2020, 11:19 AM

Bikeway and LSD bridge

Feb 14

Chicago | Bikeway at LSD by Harry Carmichael, on Flickr

Feb 22

Temporary pedway

Old deck being removed

Old Posted Feb 23, 2020, 11:39 AM

Navy Pier Hotel

Old Posted Feb 23, 2020, 12:09 PM

161 N Wabash - or some vanity address.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2020, 12:39 PM

Waiting

Old Posted Feb 23, 2020, 1:18 PM

This is pretty cool! Been wondering if this was going to push ahead, hadn’t heard anything about it in what feels like years: corner at 800 N Milwaukee (Chicago/Milwaukee, opposite the CVS) issued demo permit.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ChiBuildi...58113203953664

Old Posted Feb 23, 2020, 1:54 PM

Quote:
This is pretty cool! Been wondering if this was going to push ahead, hadn’t heard anything about it in what feels like years: corner at 800 N Milwaukee (Chicago/Milwaukee, opposite the CVS) issued demo permit.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ChiBuildi...58113203953664
Good to see a rendering of it. I remember when the zoning app came out a few years ago for that.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development