HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Nov 6, 2007, 7:10 PM

Daley weighs ambitious plan to promote 'green'
Proposal's hurdles include tight budgets, spotty record for earlier efforts
By David Greising, Tribune chief business correspondent Tribune staff reporter Michael Hawthorne contributed to this report
November 6, 2007

"Wind turbines on Sears Tower and a "green" roof on the Merchandise Mart are two high-profile concepts on the drawing board as part of a wide-ranging, environmentally friendly development plan under consideration by the city."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...i_tab04_layout

Old Posted Nov 6, 2007, 8:48 PM
BANNED

^^^ Maybe if they put Wind Turbines on the roof of the Sears they will count towards the structural height and Petronas can be moved to where they belong on the world's tallest buildings list... That would be sweet revenge...

Old Posted Nov 6, 2007, 9:56 PM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

Actually, the real issue is getting CTBUH to change the official definition.

Wind turbines on Sears would be DISASTEROUS. Want a real project? Pur a green roof on McCormick and give us an energy efficient CTA.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2007, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honte View Post
OK, thanks for the info.

I believe the building that was north of that site was an old theatre, which had a terrible facelift that destroyed its facade.

Also, speaking of bad facelifts ... I asked around about the Moana building around the corner from here, which you mentioned has scaffold surrounding it. Here's the sad story I was told: The Poetry Mag. deal with Ronan has fallen through, and a plastic surgeon has bought the historic building instead. He intends to perform a little plastic surgery on the facade too, and cannot be persuaded otherwise. The terracotta will be torn off and replaced, I think, with limestone. ??? Sounds stupid, I know, but I'm just relaying what gossip I heard. Of course, the city is nowhere to be found on this one.
WTF? That Terracotta on the Moana was in excellent condition. I hope someone salvages it and it's just not just chiseled to dust and dumped in a fill.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2007, 12:46 AM
THAT Guy

They aren't kidding when they say it includes EVERYTHING

http://www.usc.salvationarmy.org/usc...9?openDocument

CHICAGO, ILLINOIS, KROC CENTER PROJECT APPROVED FOR FINAL DEVELOPMENT PHASE

According to an official statement released by The Salvation Army’s Central Territorial Headquarters, which oversees the organization’s work in 11 Midwestern states and is located in Des Plaines, Ill., The Salvation Army in Chicago, Ill., has been approved for the final development phase to create a Salvation Army Ray and Joan Kroc Corps Community Center (RJKCCC). Chicago is one of seven communities in the Midwest to be approved to move into this final phase which includes ensuring that the key goals of mission and ministry, financial stability, community collaboration and involvement, and design and construction of the centers are brought to fruition.

Chicago Mayor Richard M. Daley, Alderman Carrie Austin and Lt. Colonel David Grindle, who oversees The Salvation Army’s work in the Chicagoland area, were some of the people who participated in making the official announcement that the RJKCCC will be built on a currently vacant 33-acre parcel of land in the city’s West Pullman neighborhood. More than 250,000 people live within a three-mile radius of the site. The project represents the largest single investment by a social service organization in the history of the City of Chicago.

The 220,000-square-foot Kroc Center will be a state-of-the-art ministry, community and social service facility in one of Chicago’s most underserved areas. It will provide thousands of people of all ages with new opportunities. It will become an anchor for the community and a beacon of hope.

“There has never been anything like it in Chicago,” says Lt. Colonel David Grindle. “It will redefine people’s notions of what a community center can be. The array of sports, educational, arts and supportive programs has never been offered under one roof. Both the programs and the building have been designed to enrich the mind, body and spirit, to provide hope, to transform lives.

The Chicago center was approved for $109.8 million, a portion of Joan Kroc’s, McDonalds’ Founder Ray Kroc widow, $1.5 billion-plus gift to The Salvation Army for the exclusive purpose of developing, constructing and operating several world-class recreational, educational and ministry centers. In order for the center to be built The Salvation Army in Chicago must now raise an additional $50 million to complete the building and establish an endowment large enough to guarantee accessibility to the Kroc Center for every child and adult, today and for generations to come. This ensures the community’s involvement and support that Joan Kroc envisioned for each Kroc Center.

When completed, the Kroc Center will offer an array of activities and services for people of all ages that have never before been available in a single Chicago facility. Proposed programs and ministries include opportunities for worship, educational classes, sports, arts and support programs. Recreational features will include a 5,000-seat indoor sports complex, an outdoor stadium, basketball and tennis courts, an aquatic center and a water park, a state of the art fitness center, a climbing wall, basketball courts and more. Outdoor recreational facilities will include a 2,000-seat sports stadium, a golf training center with driving range and putting greens, baseball diamonds, batting cages, tennis courts and an outdoor running track.

The Family Life and Education Center will offer an array of classes and educational workshops for people of all ages, including job training, GED preparation, computer literacy, financial planning, parenting, nutrition and culinary arts.

The Kroc Center’s Academy of the Arts will include a performing arts center; an outdoor amphitheater; a media center with recording video production studios; as well as studios for instrument, vocal and art instruction. The Family Life and Education Center will offer after-school programs for children.

Murphy/Jahn’s innovative design for the Kroc Center is unlike anything seen before in this community. Jahn’s concept calls for a transparent structure to be built largely of glass walls that will offer breathtaking views during the daytime and at night. It will be an environmentally-friendly green building with energy efficient heating and cooling systems, topped by a green roof with solar collectors and skylights.

“When it opens, this facility will serve people of all ages—from children to seniors,” said Grindle. “And, everyone who supports it will have an unprecedented opportunity to transform lives and make a visible impact on a community, to make a real difference for generations to come.”

Old Posted Nov 7, 2007, 12:48 AM
THAT Guy

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...,2287951.story

Salvation Army announces West Pullman center plan

By Blair Kamin and Mary Owen
November 6, 2007

Two years after it was forced to scrap plans for a community center next to the Robert Taylor Homes, the Salvation Army on Tuesday unveiled a design by noted Chicago architect Helmut Jahn for a West Pullman community center that would have an indoor water park, an outdoor amphitheater and a 200-foot-tall light tower that would announce the center's presence to drivers on nearby I-57.

--------
Click the above link to read the rest of the article and see the Trib's video, which contains model shots and renderings.

Edit: CBS also has some additional views in their video
http://cbs2chicago.com/local/salvati....2.492574.html

Last edited by spyguy; Nov 7, 2007 at 1:37 AM.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2007, 1:27 AM

Quote:
OK, thanks for the info.

I believe the building that was north of that site was an old theatre, which had a terrible facelift that destroyed its facade.
We're talking about this place and later this place, right? That wasn't a theatre, it was just a blues club carved out of store space. Famous Dave's, presumably unrelated to the BBQ sauce. It also served as Issac Hayes' restaurant for a time. Incidentally, however, the liquor store on the SW corner of Clark and Chicago was a theatre.

I believe, based on the building department's permit page, that the demolished building was 745 N Clark, a single-story hot dog stand (Mister G's) with an indistinct brick facade. No great loss, certainly, unless you're looking for a hot dog or sandwich.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2007, 4:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alliance View Post

Wind turbines on Sears would be DISASTEROUS. Want a real project? Pur a green roof on McCormick and give us an energy efficient CTA.

If it's Bill Becker's design you will not even see the turbines on Sears. Each turbine is the size of about two oil drums stacked on top of eachother. There is one on display in the Daley Center lobby. Agree on the CTA point.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2007, 5:36 AM
Registered

Thank you, Dorothy Tillman, for forcing this amazing Salvation Army development to the far South Side - where it cannot revive the center city, won't be accessible by train, will be far harder to fundraise, and therefore will have a much harder time reaching its potential.

I am so glad she is gone.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2007, 5:37 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWChicago View Post
That wasn't a theatre, it was just a blues club carved out of store space. Famous Dave's, presumably unrelated to the BBQ sauce. It also served as Issac Hayes' restaurant for a time. Incidentally, however, the liquor store on the SW corner of Clark and Chicago was a theatre.
OK, thanks for the correction. I never had an occasion to enter the joint myself; wasn't too concerned due to the already-mutilated facade. If it's just a hot dog joint that came down, all the better.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2007, 3:00 PM
Deerhoof Evangelist

Quote:
Thank you, Dorothy Tillman, for forcing this amazing Salvation Army development to the far South Side - where it cannot revive the center city, won't be accessible by train, will be far harder to fundraise, and therefore will have a much harder time reaching its potential.

I am so glad she is gone.
Yeah - a very bad & misguided political calculation on Tillman's part.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2007, 4:14 PM

I'm glad that Tillman was so foolish as to reject this incredible project. Yes fundraising will be difficult but for the same reason this is the best location; this is a much neglected part of Chicago that desperately needs this center.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2007, 6:11 PM

There's an article in the Tribune about Electronic Arts, which is closing its' downtown office that employed around 250 people. It's to bad cause those are jobs we should be attracting, not losing.

Anyone know why they chose the Chicago office to close?

Old Posted Nov 7, 2007, 6:45 PM
Not my real name

Each of Electronic Arts offices are in charge of their own projects. Chicago was in charge of "Fight Night" and a couple other titles which I can't remember. I guess the Chicago office and one in Chelsea England couldn't turn a profit, so they were the first to get cut in a company restructure. It really is a shame. Midway games is also on the verge of bankruptcy, and will probably close or sell off their intellectual rights if it can't pull a major profit out of Unreal3. More on the EA shutdown in the link.

http://www.mercurynews.com/businessheadlines/ci_7393022

Old Posted Nov 7, 2007, 7:20 PM
Urbane observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSawyer View Post
this is a much neglected part of Chicago that desperately needs this center.
Exactly. The Bronzeville area is well on its way to revival, but most Northsiders are completely oblivious to Roseland and its considerable challenges. Chicago is quietly consigning the poor to the periphery of the city, in the manner of a European or South American city. If you think Woodlawn and Garfield Park were bad in the 90s, wait until you see Bensenville and Harvey--with no central city to help shore things up--in the 10s.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2007, 10:25 PM
Show me the blueprints

Bensenville I doubt. Harvey? Harvey has been a dangerous and impoverished community for years. Who knows if it gets worse or better.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Nov 7, 2007, 10:30 PM

I just played a football game there... I feel bad-ass now.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2007, 10:57 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSawyer View Post
I'm glad that Tillman was so foolish as to reject this incredible project. Yes fundraising will be difficult but for the same reason this is the best location; this is a much neglected part of Chicago that desperately needs this center.

Well, of course I care for that part of the city too, and I am very happy to see a great development go down there. Without question, the far South Side needs investment, and is just as deserving as any other part of Chicago.

But the reality of it is, 1) This is still not the most logical place to have such a facility, and 2) we should be very thankful that the Salvation Army was committed to Chicago strongly so that they didn't just find a more receptive city altogether.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2007, 4:01 AM
Show me the blueprints

^Well, this new Salvation Army project isn't the only one they have going up. They seem to be in the middle of a nationwide building program for these centers, all of them named after McDonald's man and his old lady. So they would still have built in Chicago even if the latest site had hypothetically fallen through.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kroc_Center

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Nov 8, 2007, 7:22 PM

Quote:
Well, of course I care for that part of the city too, and I am very happy to see a great development go down there. Without question, the far South Side needs investment, and is just as deserving as any other part of Chicago.

But the reality of it is, 1) This is still not the most logical place to have such a facility, and 2) we should be very thankful that the Salvation Army was committed to Chicago strongly so that they didn't just find a more receptive city altogether.
It's a community center. Why shouldn't it be located in the middle of its target community?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development