HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One Chicago Square in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Apr 2, 2019, 10:38 AM

Marble bowing was the main issue at Standard Oil/Aon. It also more recently happened at the Finlandia City Hall. It's most likely to occur in slabs that are less than 2" thick, white marbles are more susceptible, and is usually attributed to uneven heating, cooling, or moisture in the stone. On exterior cladding it's caused by different conditions on front and back of the slab (front being heated by the sun while the back remained cool, etc). In your basement example it was likely effected by humidity, moisture from the foundation, or the temperature differential between the foundation and basement air.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2019, 12:23 PM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned.B View Post
Marble bowing was the main issue at Standard Oil/Aon. It also more recently happened at the Finlandia City Hall. It's most likely to occur in slabs that are less than 2" thick, white marbles are more susceptible, and is usually attributed to uneven heating, cooling, or moisture in the stone. On exterior cladding it's caused by different conditions on front and back of the slab (front being heated by the sun while the back remained cool, etc). In your basement example it was likely effected by humidity, moisture from the foundation, or the temperature differential between the foundation and basement air.
I looked online for images because I wanted to see warped white marble for myself and couldn't find anything. Several websites I came across say it's typically green marble that warps when it's in thin tile diameters.
4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo

Old Posted Apr 2, 2019, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomrQT View Post
I looked online for images because I wanted to see warped white marble for myself and couldn't find anything. Several websites I came across say it's typically green marble that warps when it's in thin tile diameters.
https://www.google.com/search?q=pics...w=1366&bih=695

Old Posted Apr 2, 2019, 7:46 PM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnie View Post
The education I've gotten on this website over the years is simply fantastic. Thanks for sharing!

Old Posted Apr 2, 2019, 8:31 PM

Quote:
The education I've gotten on this website over the years is simply fantastic. Thanks for sharing!

you might find this quick read more.... appealing! http://geologywriter.com/blog/storie...ss-and-mayhem/

Old Posted Apr 3, 2019, 5:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolchak View Post
When looking at those pics I realized it was one of the rare times I didn't feel sentimental about the demolition of old buildings.
Same here and others have said the same thing. Normally I’d be fuming about buildings being torn down like this. But that’s part of being sensible when it comes to planning and development. Try to save what you can, but allow new development when there’s an impactful benefit.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2019, 6:03 AM

04/04/19

I do believe I'll be obsessed with this project.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2019, 1:02 PM

^ totally

so glad it started this cycle..

easier to get to for photos than vista

Old Posted Apr 4, 2019, 2:37 PM

Last one being wrecked is sure handsome, though.

Simple sills, nice rounded bays, subtle masonry patterning. Almost Modern-looking (if incidentally so).

Certainly not 'exceptional', though.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2019, 2:50 PM

It's beautiful. I wish we could have relocated it to another neighborhood. Four story greystone would be a dream to own.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2019, 3:47 PM
Show me the blueprints

Anyone else surprised nobody salvaged that stone facade?

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Apr 4, 2019, 5:45 PM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
I've always wondered, can you just go up to the site and ask to take bricks/stone etc? I would have done that on several demos in the past.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2019, 5:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCorsair87 View Post
It's beautiful. I wish we could have relocated it to another neighborhood. Four story greystone would be a dream to own.
They should of torn down Bella Luna and moved this thing over just a little to the right...damn!!

Old Posted Apr 4, 2019, 7:11 PM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
I've always wondered, can you just go up to the site and ask to take bricks/stone etc? I would have done that on several demos in the past.
I'm not 100% if I'm right about this but I would say probably not, at least if you're talking about asking for a lot of material. The demolition contractor has already signed a contract, a contract that includes cartage to a landfill of the demolition debris. Also, they would be unlikely to just allow anybody with a pickup truck onto the dangerous worksite for liability reasons, not to mention allowing someone to actually work to remove elements from the building. This would only be allowed with a large scale demolition contract like this if there was a salvage contract with a legitimate salvage contractor and bonded crew. All that being said, could an individual show up and be lucky enough to convince one of the workers, either through being friendly or a little paper handshake, or a combination of both, to let them have some decorative elements? Sure I've done it. More than once. Part of it is acting like you know what you're doing, don't call attention to yourself. In other words, don't be an obnoxious jerk. I got several limestone caps from a FLW apprentice designed house several years ago. Heavy as hell, I did all the work, but it didn't cost me a dime. I'm sure being in the right place at the right time and with enough charm you could finagle some cool pieces - front doors, lighting, keystones, etc. That's very different of course than just showing up and asking if you could maybe possibly leave with 30 tons of limestone

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Apr 4, 2019, 7:33 PM

Quote:
I have tried - and failed - in the past, these days I would go through one of the architectural re-sale outfits and ask them to do the leg work.

But it depends on what you are looking for - a souvenir brick can usually be picked up without actually stepping on sie. A limestone lintel, not so easy.

The guys from Heneghan are usually very nice and approachable, the worst they will say is no.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2019, 10:22 PM
All-American City Boy

Thanks for the replies. I tend to keep my eye out on craigslist for common brick when I have projects going on at the house but it would have been cool to get free materials from a building with more of story behind it. Estpecially stone materials.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2019, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
I have tried - and failed - in the past, these days I would go through one of the architectural re-sale outfits and ask them to do the leg work.

But it depends on what you are looking for - a souvenir brick can usually be picked up without actually stepping on sie. A limestone lintel, not so easy.

The guys from Heneghan are usually very nice and approachable, the worst they will say is no.
Now I'm definitely going to try this

Old Posted Apr 4, 2019, 11:10 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
04/04/19
I do believe I'll be obsessed with this project.
Beat me to it with the photos, and I'll be watching this thing closely, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCorsair87 View Post
I always wished they'd move them just one block north. Would be a nice completion to that block.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
A little bit not too. It was nice but not super nice.

Quote:
You can ask. Probably will get a no, but you can ask.

Anyone remember that those buildings are where Richard Gere's law offices were in "Primal Fear"?
[/SIZE]

Old Posted Apr 5, 2019, 12:00 AM

Quote:
I've actually pulled this off before in the past. Lots of crews will let you, some will try to sell it to you for a couple of crisp twenties or a case of beer. I've also just helped myself to the dumpster or rubble pile a few times (not recommended because technically trespassing, but whatever I'm not about to respect some asshole who just demolished a historic property). I just acquired 3 lintels I'm going to reuse in restoring a historic facade where the top story of brick was stripped and replaced with shitty 70's brick. I can't believe some of the stuff people tear down in this city, whatever, their loss, my gain.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2019, 12:25 AM

March 30

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive