HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 11, 2022, 10:37 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

This discussion among other involving Chinese and Jews is very interesting. Especially the one about Philipinos and Garden City.

I did a short stint in high school at Garden City Collegate (was there for awhile but didn't complete grade 10) and at the time it was a newish up and coming Jewish community for people that rejected the establishment of River Heights and Tuxedo. The Cantors of the grocery store fame located there for example. I deeply appreciate the friendships I made there and the understanding I gained of the Jewish community. I didn't know it at the time but the more uppity Jews of the south end referred to the area as Garbage Shitty.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2022, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
. I didn't know it at the time but the more uppity Jews of the south end referred to the area as Garbage Shitty.
Wow. I like the garden city area. It's actually pretty nice.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2022, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
I did a short stint in high school at Garden City Collegate (was there for awhile but didn't complete grade 10) and at the time it was a newish up and coming Jewish community for people that rejected the establishment of River Heights and Tuxedo.
Doubtful. It does not vibe with the demographics of Jews in Winnipeg. Many Jews obviously moved from the North End into West K and Garden City (probably after WWII is my guess), but once Jews were allowed to live in Tuxedo, it became a predominantly Jewish area is two decades (Jews were not allowed to live in Tuxedo until the 60s). We also have to keep in mind that the Jewish population has been declining for 50 years in Winnipeg. It's peak was the late 60's, when 20,000 Jews lived here in a city of 500,000 (4% of the population. Today, there are only 12,500 Jews in a city of 775,000 people (1.6% of the population).

Quote:
The Cantors of the grocery store fame located there for example. I deeply appreciate the friendships I made there and the understanding I gained of the Jewish community. I didn't know it at the time but the more uppity Jews of the south end referred to the area as Garbage Shitty.
I worked IN river Heights for a Jewish owned business in the late 90s when I was young. I also worked as a non-Jewish worker at a Jewish Camp in Winnipeg Beach. Not once did I ever hear any Jewish people my age refer to Garden City as "Garbage shitty." And this is coming from someone who had several Jewish friends.

Last edited by BlackDog204; Nov 12, 2022 at 2:01 AM.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2022, 4:31 PM

Based on what I know about the history of Jews in Winnipeg, it went from Point Douglas/North End in the early 1900s, to Garden City/West Kildonan in the postwar years, to River Heights/Tuxedo as the Boomers grew up.

If you did a heatmap of Jewish community institutions in 1920, 1970 and 2022, I think it would reflect that... the core would kind of move from around Selkirk Avenue, to up around Kingsbury, then back down to around Kenaston.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2022, 7:21 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog204 View Post
I worked IN river Heights for a Jewish owned business in the late 90s when I was young. I also worked as a non-Jewish worker at a Jewish Camp in Winnipeg Beach. Not once did I ever hear any Jewish people my age refer to Garden City as "Garbage shitty." And this is coming from someone who had several Jewish friends.
Well I did, many many times.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2022, 7:23 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito View Post
Wow. I like the garden city area. It's actually pretty nice.
I do too. My dad's house in Rivercrest was custom built in 1962 and it's twin was built in Garden City.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2022, 11:55 PM

There is a Synagogue right across the street from garden city collegiate. My sister went to Garden city. I used like going over there for pirogies from " Moms pirogy factory" on sinclar right by the school..... Their cabbage rolls are good too.

I wouldn't mind living in garden city at all. It's a nice area. It's quiet, it's clean, the homes are nice and well kept. You have everything near by, restaurants, shopping, hospital, schools etc etc.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan