HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 18, 2011, 4:21 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Nice troll article. Let's go at one specific paragraph that covers it all:

Quote:
Just think about it. Has the economic picture in Winnipeg and, more importantly, around it, changed that much since the Jets ignominious departure?
Yes. Pretty much completely. Within the city it's obvious to anyone who's actually BEEN to the city. "Around it" - the dollar is worth almost twice what it was in 1996. The economy continues to be in the toilet around the continent except for a places like Winnipeg. The NHL has entirely changed their revenue sharing model to account for short-term fluctuations in currency/economy, which is what killed the Jets. If they had another few years, they may well have survived. So yeah, my friend - it's completely changed.

Quote:
NHL hockey no longer depends on gate receipts for its survival.
Untrue. The NHL is still one of the most gate-dependent leagues in pro sports. If anything, it's arguably MORE gate-dependent than in the 90s. The massive US TV contract never materialized and by some measures is WORSE than what existed in the 90s (all else being equal). Also you'll note that the teams losing the most money have the worst attendance. QED.

Quote:
And even there, the MTS arena is way too small, so far as the NHL’s newest standards go.
Incorrect. And the top brass of the NHL are on record repeatedly saying as much.

Quote:
NHL hockey now depends, just as all other major professional sports leagues do, on television revenue.
Really? How much money is the 10,000 or so Phoenix TV audience making the NHL? Seriously, Phoenix attracts fewer TV fans on average than the MTS Centre holds. I'm no television revenue expert, but I'm pretty confident in saying that TV deals do not pay an average of $50-75 per viewer, per game. The Canadian teams would be earning BILLIONS in TV revenue if that was the case.

Quote:
And even while the NHL has been seeking a national TV contract to cover the entire U.S., it has now become an accepted fact of life that most of the money flows in from regional broadcast rights.
The national TV contract that after 15+ years has never happened. Oh, again - how's that regional broadcasting revenue going for Phoenix?

Quote:
That would require enormous economic wherewithal not only in Winnipeg, but in the regions surrounding it, also. Even more so, perhaps.
I don't even understand this point. People in Winnipeg and surrounding regions, if anything, WILL WATCH FAR MORE TV HOCKEY THAN ELSEWHERE. This may sound like an insult even though it's not, so I hope Winnipeggers understand the reality of where I'm coming from... people in Winnipeg have less to do in the winter than just about anywhere else. If Calgary and Edmonton can attract 200-250,000 viewers per game (it's somewhere around that), I can easily see Winnipeg and its surroundings matching that. Even with a smaller population. Because there's simply less to do on a -30 January evening.

If Winnipeg can match the gate attendance of the bottom 1/3 of the league (trivially easy in MTS Centre), at higher average ticket prices (proven in this country), and garner a comparably huge TV audience - sure, it won't be Toronto or Montreal level profits, but I bet Wpg could be in the top half of league revenues easily.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2011, 4:28 PM

Excellent rebuttle of a very biased and negative article.

I suppose the reality for Calgary / Edmonton is that if Winnipeg does get its team back, it could impact the scope of their "regional broadcast territory"

How would that work anyway? Sportsnet Pacific only covers Vancouver (games are blacked out here in Winnipeg), yet Sportsnet West covers Calgary AND Edmonton Games.

Would Sportsnet West then cover 3 teams in one broadcast market, or would a further division of the broadcast region occur?

On the arena note, Edmonton is fighting to get a new building sorted out right now to replace Rexall centre. There is probably some bitterness over the fact that the outdated, but larger-capacity Rexall Centre is not to standard, but the smaller, but nicer-newer MTS centre is.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2011, 5:26 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mininari View Post

Excellent rebuttle of a very biased and negative article.

I suppose the reality for Calgary / Edmonton is that if Winnipeg does get its team back, it could impact the scope of their "regional broadcast territory"

How would that work anyway? Sportsnet Pacific only covers Vancouver (games are blacked out here in Winnipeg), yet Sportsnet West covers Calgary AND Edmonton Games.
That's where Sportsnet One (http://www.sportsnet.ca/one/) would come in and broadcast games otherwise missing due to scheduling conflicts. For example in Calgary if Sportsnet West has the Edmonton game on, then the Calgary Sportsnet One (aka Sportsnet Flames) will show the Calgary game (and vice versa).

Sure you have to pay a bit extra for the channel, but its worth it and its available in HD.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2011, 5:37 PM
Home of Hyperchange

I'd be absolutely in heaven if they did things this way. It's kinda fun watching Oilers games when the Flames aren't playing and I wish I could do it with more teams (CBC/TSN just doesn't have many games by comparison). If I could watch Jets/Moose/Falcon games on a regular basis, I'd become a pretty active fan.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2011, 7:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
All of this insecurity is unbecoming of Edmonton.
Really? That stupid article I just read is the first I've heard of that.

To be honest, I don't think there is an Oilers fan alive (outside of Edmonton ex-pats living in the Phoenix area) who would rather see that team stay in Phoenix instead of going back to Winnipeg.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2011, 7:49 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
Really? That stupid article I just read is the first I've heard of that.

To be honest, I don't think there is an Oilers fan alive (outside of Edmonton ex-pats living in the Phoenix area) who would rather see that team stay in Phoenix instead of going back to Winnipeg.
Sadly, while I don't think it's the majority of opinion, there seem to be plenty in Edmonton who disagree with you. Loudly, and on many forums. There are contingents from every Canadian city doing this too.

Again, sadly.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2011, 8:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
There are contingents from every Canadian city doing this too.
That just doesn't make sense. At all.

Unless they are all trolling. And if so, then I suppose it's kind of funny.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2011, 8:11 PM
the first stamp is free

There are two pretty obvious examples of this Edmonton "phenomena" in the Winnipeg NHL thread on the Canada page. It shouldn't take you too long to figure out who they are...

Old Posted Mar 18, 2011, 8:23 PM

There is a difference between doubting that it would work, and hoping that they don't get their team back simply out of spite. I have seen a lot of the former, but not much (none?) of the latter.

Personally, I hope the Coyotes move back to Winnipeg and they do well financially, and that the Oilers beat the shit out of them at every turn.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2011, 8:33 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
and that the Oilers beat the shit out of them at every turn.
The Oilers can't seem to beat the shit out of a dusty rug these days.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2011, 8:41 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Personally, I hope the Coyotes move back to Winnipeg and they do well financially, and that the Oilers beat the shit out of them at every turn.
Perhaps you now understand the urgency to get the team back in Winnipeg last year. Edmonton was in the toilet, Calgary was well on its way there - shit, Winnipeg might actually have made the playoffs! Just imagine a year when the Jets didn't have to contend with the Oilers and then the Flames (or reverse order).

Of course, the Canucks would play spoiler anyway, but still... just think!

Alas, by the time Winnipeg gets its team back the Oil will be on the way to being good again, and the Flames.. well, they'll never beat anybody but Winnipeg. Out of spite.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2011, 8:43 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
That just doesn't make sense. At all.

Unless they are all trolling. And if so, then I suppose it's kind of funny.
It may not make sense, but it's definitely there. There are a significant number of people who act like it's a personal affront to even consider the possibility of Winnipeg getting a team, and will rant for hours about things they have no understanding of.

It's almost like trolling, but I think most of them honestly do believe it.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2011, 8:57 PM

I'd just like to declare myself as an avid supporter of the Jets' possible return to Winnipeg, despite being a canucks fan. Super short, this city deserves an NHL team. People love hockey here. I can't wait to skate around one of the many outdoor rinks here with my son (expecting), and shoot pucks around -- and be able to take him to an NHL game. Sure, the AHL is here now... but its just not the same. There are lots of exciting things happening around here now, and the return of the NHL would be a huge boost for the people of this city.

Sorry Glendale, you'll get by.
Just like Quebec City, Winnipeg, Hartford... etc.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2011, 12:07 AM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
That's the spirit!

Old Posted Mar 19, 2011, 2:26 AM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Remember the song "Baby Cool Your Jets" by Jet Set Satellite? Image a remix "Bring Back the Jets" played on the radio frequently.

Yeah I've had a few wines tonight. But I did send a text asking if he would do it.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2011, 12:23 PM
BANNED

Why are the NHL ‘Awards’ which are handed out at the end of the season in Las Vegas again? I don’t understand why they would be held in a non NHL city, or is Bettman trying to tell us something by this? It’s like handing out the Juno’s in Johannesburg.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2011, 4:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayward_prince View Post
Why are the NHL ‘Awards’ which are handed out at the end of the season in Las Vegas again? I don’t understand why they would be held in a non NHL city, or is Bettman trying to tell us something by this? It’s like handing out the Juno’s in Johannesburg.
I agree, it doesn't make much sense. They should move the awards show around the NHL cities like the draft and all star game so the fans can applaud the winners and have an opportunity to attend this event.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2011, 5:48 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

someones prolly got a gambling habbit

Old Posted Mar 21, 2011, 3:57 AM

Hulsizer offers financial guarantee in Coyotes deal
By: Tim Campbell
Posted: 03/20/2011 8:55 PM | Comments: 22 | Last Modified: 03/20/2011 9:51 PM | Updates

Matthew Hulsizer (DAVID KADLUBOWSKI / ARIZONA REPUBLIC)
WINNIPEG — A key 11th-hour revision to the deal to sell the Phoenix Coyotes to Matthew Hulsizer took place over the weekend when Hulsizer said he stepped to the plate with a financial guarantee.
Hulsizer was a first-intermission guest on the Coyotes TV network Sunday night and said he sent a letter on Friday to the Goldwater Institute, the taxpayer-watchdog group that has opposed his deal with the City of Glendale from the outset, informing them he’s going to guarantee $75 million of the bond proceeds that the city is fronting him.
If the city of Glendale can sell the $116-million bond issue it’s trying to float, Hulsizer is slated to receive $100 million of it in return for the rights to parking revenue around Jobing.com Arena. He in turn can buy the money-losing Coyotes from the NHL for about $170 million.
If Hulsizer backs the bonds instead of the city — or at least the majority of the total — he believes that should take some of the risk away from the deal. As it stood, the Goldwater Institute was adamant the arrangement, with taxpayers on the hook for the bond principal and any parking shortfall, violated the gift clause of the Arizona constitution.
It’s believed that Hulsizer will make up that shortfall, if there is any.
If that’s the actual compromise, that Glendale taxpayers won’t have to buck up if revenue/parking projections fall short, then the deal’s risk goes down and that should make the bond issue easier to complete.
The Coyotes in-house network also had U.S. Senator John McCain as a second-intermission guest Sunday night. McCain said he’s been an intermediary trying to move this deal along.
Hulsizer mentioned the $75-million figure Sunday night in appearing to suggest he’s going to be responsible for the team’s losses this season. Once he receives the $100 million from bond sales, he said the city will be receiving $25 million back, which likely refers to the funds it was required to put in escrow for the NHL last spring in order to guarantee the team’s losses for this season.
That also will eat into Hulsizer’s sweetheart deal, more evidence the majority of the late-hour compromise is his. He’s also in line for a $97-million payment to manage Jobing.com Arena for the next five-and-a-half years. He also said on television Sunday night that he’ll get to buy the arena for $40 million at some point in his 30-year lease.
As of late Sunday night, there had been no response to requests for comment from the Goldwater Institute.
The Coyotes crisis is into its 23rd month. The team was placed into bankruptcy in May, 2009 and eventually purchased by the NHL from that court proceeding.
If the sale to Hulsizer doesn’t close, the NHL has been holding another solution in its pocket — a standing offer from True North Sports and Entertainment and a relocation to Winnipeg for next se

Old Posted Mar 21, 2011, 4:24 AM
BANNED

Pure insanity going down in Arizona:

http://purplehelmetrod.blogspot.com/...e-bizarre.html

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan