HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Sep 21, 2022, 2:31 AM
Cap ou pas cap?

Wow, great update, marothisu - thanks!

The building boom in Chicago neighborhoods has been so impressive. I feel like the momentum across the city keeps building and the scale of these small/mid-sized developments keep getting bigger and more widespread. Chicago grew 2% according to the 2020 census (though they admitted to undercounting Illinois), but the pace and size of development seems to be accelerating unless I’m off the mark or just seeing what I want to see lol. Bodes well for the city’s future.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2022, 2:36 AM

Chick-Fil-A coming to Clark & Cornelia in Wrigleyville. 7 parking spaces, no drive thru. This replaces the old plan for a Culvers with 18 apartments on top.
https://twitter.com/ArchiJake/status...DcWT6uwCKX2e6A

Old Posted Sep 21, 2022, 2:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
5) New 4 story, 60 foot tall commercial building proposed for the vacant land at 4731-59 S Cottage Grove Ave. Says it will include a food market (despite being across from the Walmart there), NFT gallery, an indoor golf facility, 2 restaurants, and some spec commercial space. Will have 13 car parking spaces and 79 bike spaces. Developer is listed as Milhouse Development which has an office downtown. The land is currently owned by the city
Renderings: https://twitter.com/ChicagoDPD/statu...04276121370625

This is the 3rd multi-story retail being proposed in the immediate area, the other two being ISW winner The Legacy District and a non-profit development Bella Noir. Chicago doesn't have many multi-story retail buildings, let alone 3 in one neighborhood. marothisu mentioned the new midrise proposed on 47th St. DPD is helping one of the ISW runner-ups develop a vacant lot on 47th St. There's another food hall for the redeveloped sanitation building at 51st & Wabash. The Northwestern clinic and UChicago clinic will bring a good number of jobs. 43 green Phase 2 is starting soon. Oh, and also the Bronzeville Lakefront development. Even though the boom here has been quiet, there's a lot of momentum in Bronzeville at the moment

Old Posted Sep 21, 2022, 4:54 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freefall View Post
Chick-Fil-A coming to Clark & Cornelia in Wrigleyville. 7 parking spaces, no drive thru. This replaces the old plan for a Culvers with 18 apartments on top.
https://twitter.com/ArchiJake/status...DcWT6uwCKX2e6A
Coulda sworn i saw a block club article that said there were apartments coming atop of the chick fil a

Old Posted Sep 21, 2022, 8:34 AM

18th and Peoria Development Framework

18th and Peoria Development Framework

https://www.chicago.gov/city/en/site...plan/home.html

Project Kickoff Virtual Meeting
6 PM, Wednesday, September 28

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/8905680273...MwOHhGYU1yZz09

Passcode: 231700

Old Posted Sep 21, 2022, 8:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
Renderings: https://twitter.com/ChicagoDPD/statu...04276121370625

This is the 3rd multi-story retail being proposed in the immediate area, the other two being ISW winner The Legacy District and a non-profit development Bella Noir. Chicago doesn't have many multi-story retail buildings, let alone 3 in one neighborhood. marothisu mentioned the new midrise proposed on 47th St. DPD is helping one of the ISW runner-ups develop a vacant lot on 47th St. There's another food hall for the redeveloped sanitation building at 51st & Wabash. The Northwestern clinic and UChicago clinic will bring a good number of jobs. 43 green Phase 2 is starting soon. Oh, and also the Bronzeville Lakefront development. Even though the boom here has been quiet, there's a lot of momentum in Bronzeville at the moment

Quote:
Join us on Thursday, September 22, 2022, at 5 PM for a meeting regarding the redevelopment of the area between 4731-4759 S Cottage Grove in the Grand Boulevard community.
To register:
https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/regi...SHqVXhNCO22QQw

Old Posted Sep 21, 2022, 3:04 PM
Urbane observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegoatman View Post
apartments coming atop of the chick fil a
I think that was a previous proposal, with Culver's as the retail tenant. Culver's now will be at 1111 W Addison.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2022, 3:41 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Various zoning applications coming out today...
There is also a proposal to redevelop the awesome old Otis Elevator Foundry at 16th/Laflin in Pilsen. 84 residential units, 42 parking. Looks like they would restore with historically appropriate windows, etc. The building also has an old rail trestle that used to branch off the viaduct north of 16th, that would be preserved.

Alderman Sigcho hates development so I'm not holding my breath - probably the only way it happens is if the developer agrees to do 30% affordable on-site, even though the city only requires 20% and some of those can be off-site. The rezoning application did not include an ARO statement so I'm guessing this was submitted without the alderman's or DOH's buy-in.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2022, 3:44 PM

Lots of momentum building to make the Loop more mixed-use:

Quote:
The Google Effect? Experts Say Tech Giant’s Thompson Center Move Could Bring More Residents Downtown

John Sheridan, executive vice president for James McHugh Construction Co., said other notable properties in the area are considering adaptive reuse, meaning they could convert offices into residential or hotel units.

Those include 135 S. LaSalle St., 65 E. Wacker Place and 19 S. LaSalle St., Sheridan said. He’s not intimately familiar with 33 N. LaSalle St., but he thinks it could also be a contender for a conversion.
Source: https://blockclubchicago.org/2022/09...ents-downtown/

Quote:
City looks to spark Loop housing wave with TIF money, incentives

Mayor Lori Lightfoot is offering up public subsidies to try to bring at least 1,000 residential units to downtown's pandemic-battered core over the next five years.
Source: https://www.chicagobusiness.com/comm...tif-incentives

Old Posted Sep 21, 2022, 3:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithakas View Post
Lots of momentum building to make the Loop more mixed-use
Hell yes.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2022, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toasty Joe View Post
^^ Great, they can start by preserving the Century & Consumers buildings and converting into residential. State St could greatly benefit from a higher residential mix and timeless design will always be desirable.
No way they are going residential. But the archives idea could still work.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2022, 4:57 PM

Quote:
Coulda sworn i saw a block club article that said there were apartments coming atop of the chick fil a
Me too. If this is correct it is REALLY disappointing. 7 parking spaces? WTF. There should be zero parking. I am dumbfounded by that.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2022, 5:29 PM
1st Ward

Screw Chick fil A! The Culver's plan was much better. I haven't seen what the Chick fil A will look like, but I'm sure it will be their regular one story suburban cookie cutter crap design. Nice of them to nix the drive thru, but I am sure that was more of a space constraint issue than an actual design acknowledgement of the urban nature of the neighborhood.

Old design:

Source: dnainfo.com

Old Posted Sep 21, 2022, 5:47 PM
Rust Belt Motherland

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithakas View Post
City looks to spark Loop housing wave with TIF money, incentives

Mayor Lori Lightfoot is offering up public subsidies to try to bring at least 1,000 residential units to downtown's pandemic-battered core over the next five years.

Source: https://www.chicagobusiness.com/comm...tif-incentives
Hopefully some of that funding is going toward Assemble Chicago unless its funding is already secured, which I doubt.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2022, 10:45 PM
you know where I'll be

^ Completely forgot about this.....so much so that, I can't even remember - is it a real project? Legit developer?

Old Posted Sep 21, 2022, 11:08 PM
1st Ward

I also vaguely remember seeing this proposal. I really like the design ... add 10-12 floors to it, please!

Old Posted Sep 22, 2022, 12:16 AM
Rust Belt Motherland

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
^ Completely forgot about this.....so much so that, I can't even remember - is it a real project? Legit developer?
It was part of a city-run competition as part of C40 2020. The 2019 design winner didn't have their PD approved until Nov 2021 so it's possible the pipeline is just backed up because of COVID. I sure hope it's still in the works.

Here's the last word from the city's website that I'm aware of:
Quote:
The project is subject to multiple review and approval processes involving financing, site acquisition, and zoning, which are expected to begin by the end of 2021 .

Last edited by Klippenstein; Sep 22, 2022 at 1:14 PM.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2022, 5:21 AM

Plans to convert Milshire Hotel (former SRO) in Logan Square to 27 units with 2 ground floor commercial units...via new zoning application

Old Posted Sep 22, 2022, 10:56 AM
BANNED

Is it just me thinking that there's been a flood of new development these past couple days?

Old Posted Sep 22, 2022, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Is it just me thinking that there's been a flood of new development these past couple days?
It's the zoning application day of the month. And they didn't have it last month for whatever reason. Though I'll say this one was better than they've been for the last few months.

There's many more applications. Some are small time things but still impactful in their own right sometimes. Maybe I'll make an interactive map to show all the apps and what they are.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development