HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Mar 14, 2022, 9:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizzo View Post
I went into their Southport location and it felt like the original mission unraveled. Went from books to the B&N route with more gifts and puzzles than books. But then they had random exercise equipment in the center that cheapened the experience. Staff were very helpful though. Seems following the grocery or department store model is a better pace.
Honestly I'm really surprised that they even had the bookstores recently. The major players mostly died (except B&N) awhile ago and everyone just orders their books online or does eBooks anyway these days. There's very few book stores in the US that still get a lot of traffic (Strand in Manhattan is an exception really). I think they're making the right decision anyway.

With COVID here and everything, people kind of realized the usefulness and convenience of fast grocery delivery. We use Amazon Fresh sometimes although I have my peeves about how they package everything (pretty inefficient half the time). With a handful of 10 minute or less grocery operators popping up in many cities, they probably need to shift their attention to that type of area.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2022, 4:08 AM

Quote:
Evergreen Garden is a 110-unit, new construction condominium development dedicated to creating a safe and welcoming community for seniors aged 62 or older. (Buyers has no age restriction, residents to be 62 or above) Its location offers conveniences such as Walgreens, Chinese American Service league, Chicago Public Library, Chinatown Square and Ping Tom Memorial Park. Evergreen Garden is designed to facilitate an independent lifestyle allow retirees to spend their golden years in a safe and comfort environment. Bathroom with grab bar, emergency call system. In-unit laundry. Railing in common area. First floor lounge and community room for entertainment. Open parking space available for $20,000 to $25,000.

https://www.trulia.com/p/il/chicago/...16--2568665594

Old Posted Mar 15, 2022, 3:44 PM

Nothing appeared to be salvaged. Even if it was, you rarely see any of these details turning up on new buildings unless both the client and architect have a unique passion for that. Otherwise we’re in a digital age where all of this can be re-created without much trouble. It’s just that people choose not to design buildings like this anymore even though they can and technology has made it cheaper. Personally I would. But that’s just my opinion.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2022, 8:48 PM

vote for me, only I can stop gentrification!

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/resi...oldt-park-home

Old Posted Mar 15, 2022, 9:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west-town-brad View Post
vote for me, only I can stop gentrification!

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/resi...oldt-park-home
It was only a matter of time before someone threw this story like red meat to a stadium of hungry tigers.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2022, 10:20 PM

Posted a question in the General Discussions but maybe it belongs here. I was suprised to see federal money earmarked to tear down Consumers Building and Century Building on State St. I don't know if that was people's expectation.

https://twitter.com/Pres_Chicago/sta...7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Old Posted Mar 15, 2022, 10:37 PM

What the fuck? Why?

Old Posted Mar 15, 2022, 10:54 PM
Chicago

Inspire West Town - 1140 W Erie

March 14, 2022

Old Posted Mar 15, 2022, 10:55 PM
Chicago

411 W Chicago

March 14, 2022

Old Posted Mar 15, 2022, 10:56 PM
Chicago

751 N Hudson

March 14, 2022

Old Posted Mar 15, 2022, 10:56 PM
Chicago

1020 W Randolph

March 14, 2022

Old Posted Mar 16, 2022, 1:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
What the fuck? Why?
it shouldnt come as a surprise if youve been following these buildings over the years. the feds have been embarrassing stewards of these properties, and they see any rehab as untenable due to "security concerns" surrounding the courthouse

i guess they seriously think a sniper is going to set up in a window and take out a federal judge, therefore the buildings should be demolished if they arent Fed controlled. why they dont think the same about every other building surround the plaza...beats me. there had been plans to convert them to Fed office space but thats fallen through many times.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2022, 1:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVAC_Zach View Post
This post deserves to be re-upped... and the Alderman deserves to be locked-"upped"
it's a weird thing because whether voters and activists understand or not, anti-gentrification = anti-density = housing-price-appreciation

either way I win myself because I love density but I also love getting richer by doing nothing but living in my house

Old Posted Mar 16, 2022, 2:27 PM

Designers Selected For DuSable Park In Streeterville

https://chicagoyimby.com/2022/03/des...eterville.html

"...the first phases of the design is set to kick off this summer and last through 2024, with the park to first open in the summer of 2025."

Still a ways out, but here's hoping this thing finally gets finished.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2022, 3:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
it shouldnt come as a surprise if youve been following these buildings over the years. the feds have been embarrassing stewards of these properties, and they see any rehab as untenable due to "security concerns" surrounding the courthouse

i guess they seriously think a sniper is going to set up in a window and take out a federal judge, therefore the buildings should be demolished if they arent Fed controlled. why they dont think the same about every other building surround the plaza...beats me. there had been plans to convert them to Fed office space but thats fallen through many times.
It was a sweetheart insider real estate deal to cash out a big political donor right before the commercial real estate crash of late 2007.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2022, 4:03 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainJilliams View Post
Designers Selected For DuSable Park In Streeterville

https://chicagoyimby.com/2022/03/des...eterville.html

"...the first phases of the design is set to kick off this summer and last through 2024, with the park to first open in the summer of 2025."

Still a ways out, but here's hoping this thing finally gets finished.
Why will this small plot of land take 4 years to develop???? The rate at which things are completed in America is irritating.

But anyway, hope they do something special with it. On drone videos of Chicago this is like the first thing on the screen and this barren park and the old chicago spire area being abandoned and looking crazy makes the city look bad.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2022, 4:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegoatman View Post
Why will this small plot of land take 4 years to develop???? The rate at which things are completed in America is irritating.
...snip...
We'll have to think on that

Old Posted Mar 16, 2022, 4:33 PM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegoatman View Post
On drone videos of Chicago this is like the first thing on the screen and this barren park and the old chicago spire area being abandoned and looking crazy makes the city look bad.
You think this is what makes the city look bad? Really though?

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Mar 16, 2022, 5:49 PM
Rust Belt Motherland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post

Which is why they’re on Preservation Chicago’s list this year.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2022, 5:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
You think this is what makes the city look bad? Really though?
It's not the worst thing, but I get what he's saying. The river is one of the most recognizable features of the city, and it's always annoying to notice that area near Navy Pier all overgrown and abandoned. When so much of that area has been infilled it starts to stick out a lot more.

Finishing the park is a step in the right direction, and fingers crossed the towers across LSD come to fruition as well.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development