HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 25, 2022, 9:45 PM

If there was ever a time to reform the Liberal party in MB, it is now.

I must vote for the NDP, as I can't conceivably vote for the Cons at any level. That being said, a stronger Liberal party would split the left vote and give power to the Cons.

Federally, people(Cons) were crying about the NDP/Lib agreement to work together. When the right literally split their party up, it failed miserably a couple decades ago. People seem to miss that point. If the left joined to one democratic party, the Conservatives would be shut out forever.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2022, 3:35 PM

Probe research poll out NDP 46 PCs 35 Libs 13. Stefanson also still has lowest approval rate in the country at 26%.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2022, 6:03 PM

The PCs are slumping but interestingly, they are not totally out of it yet. If they can slow the bleeding and hold on to some Winnipeg swing seats they could still pull it off. Unfortunately for them they are saddled with an unpopular leader which will make the feat pretty difficult to accomplish.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2022, 6:14 PM

My prediction is ndp 36 seats pcs 19 libs 2

Old Posted Dec 12, 2022, 9:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
If there was ever a time to reform the Liberal party in MB, it is now.

I must vote for the NDP, as I can't conceivably vote for the Cons at any level. That being said, a stronger Liberal party would split the left vote and give power to the Cons.

Federally, people(Cons) were crying about the NDP/Lib agreement to work together. When the right literally split their party up, it failed miserably a couple decades ago. People seem to miss that point. If the left joined to one democratic party, the Conservatives would be shut out forever.
Only thats not remotely true. Conservatives have won elections in Canada with over 50% of the popular vote. Not to mention that the UK and USA have two party systems and the left doesn't win power in perpetuity. That's nonsensical.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2022, 9:36 PM
surely you agree with me

There has only been one federal election won with more than 50% of the popular vote since the NDP came into being in 1962....Brian Mulroney's 211 seat landslide in 1984 with 50.03%....no other election has been close to 50%

If we had a two-party system, you are right, the voting landscape would change....like in manitoba it goes from left to right.

The most likely scenario for election reform is proportional representation, which likely would leave Conservatives out in the cold...at least until they became more progressive again.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2022, 1:33 PM

Klein wins in Kirkfield, tight race. interesting to see how well the Libs did, aI'm assuming those were anti-Stepfanson votes and some who still think Klein was part of Nygaard life.

"With a total of 2,356 ballots cast in his favour, Klein won 37 per cent of the popular vote, outdistancing Oxenham, who received 34 per cent of the vote with a 2,196 total. Liberal candidate Rhonda Nichol stayed close to Klein and Oxenham for much of the evening, but finished third with 1,741 votes. Dennis Bayomi of the Green Party had 70 votes."

Old Posted Dec 14, 2022, 2:52 PM

Interesting to see how well the Liberals have done in recent byelections. Willard Reaves also ran a close second to Obby Khan in Fort Whyte.

If I'm Heather Stefanson, I'm doing everything I can to promote this trend in hopes that the Liberals can split the opposition vote in suburban Winnipeg.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2022, 3:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Interesting to see how well the Liberals have done in recent byelections. Willard Reaves also ran a close second to Obby Khan in Fort Whyte.

If I'm Heather Stefanson, I'm doing everything I can to promote this trend in hopes that the Liberals can split the opposition vote in suburban Winnipeg.
I am surprised by it too could be still trepidation of suburban voters to ndp and quietly voting liberal.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2022, 4:40 PM
BANNED

Wab's party gets a real boost from this city's major rag which promotes him daily and usually has the usual couple of negative conservative stories daily!

Can't believe anyone right of centre would subscribe to the overpriced rag!

Old Posted Dec 14, 2022, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Wab's party gets a real boost from this city's major rag which promotes him daily and usually has the usual couple of negative conservative stories daily!

Can't believe anyone right of centre would subscribe to the overpriced rag!
I can't believe some one would vote for WAB when it's widely known he punched an Indian cab driver in the face and used racial slurs against him.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2022, 5:07 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito View Post
I can't believe some one would vote for WAB when it's widely known he punched an Indian cab driver in the face and used racial slurs against him.
Not only that, he physically assaulted a former girlfriend, so much for being a protector of First Nations women huh!

Guy is a complete joke and smug a-hole, but the Free Press seems to love him so that's all that matters right!

Old Posted Dec 14, 2022, 5:44 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Ya, people who make mistakes should just be condemned forever with no chance at rehabilitation. Jfc get over it. I’m not even from MB but I know Wabb has made considerable strides to become a better person. The hypocrisy of conservatives who speak against “cancel culture” yet call for the cancellation of people at a far greater rate than the so called “work left” does, is ridiculous but not surprising.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2022, 6:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djforsberg View Post
Ya, people who make mistakes should just be condemned forever with no chance at rehabilitation. Jfc get over it. I’m not even from MB but I know Wabb has made considerable strides to become a better person. The hypocrisy of conservatives who speak against “cancel culture” yet call for the cancellation of people at a far greater rate than the so called “work left” does, is ridiculous but not surprising.
This is pure nonsense. Give us some examples to back up your claim. Had wab been white, the left would have never let that go and you know it. He more than likey would have never been appointed. I don't think I've seen anyone calling to " cancel" wab....It's pretty amazing how the NDP has looked the other way over this though.

By the way I am not a conservative.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2022, 6:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Not only that, he physically assaulted a former girlfriend, so much for being a protector of First Nations women huh!
That's right I forgot about that. SMH.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2022, 6:44 PM
the first stamp is free

Despite all of his history, Kinew still became the leader of the NDP in this province, and has a real shot at becoming the next Premier.

The thing about people who have done stupid, or even criminal acts that they were charged with, convicted and the sentences served - these kind of events will shape how you are as a person - especially if you manage to rise above this past and become a contributing member of society. People like this, I would expect, will often work harder than someone with a "clean" record to have a positive impact. To help. To give back. I am not sure if "humbled" is the right expression - but something like that.

Personally, I am willing to accept that someone can move beyond some questionable acts in the past if they aren't repeated and growth has occurred.

IMO the opportunity to have a more "humble" premier in comparison to the current and previous premiers (what is the opposite of humble...) - is probably exactly what MB needs at this juncture in time.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2022, 6:49 PM

Quote:
This is pure nonsense. Give us some examples to back up your claim. Had wab been white, the left would have never let that go and you know it. He more than likey would have never been appointed. I don't think I've seen anyone calling to " cancel" wab....It's pretty amazing how the NDP has looked the other way over this though.

By the way I am not a conservative.
That is the thing though. Wab is not white rather he is an Indigenous person who has most likely been subjected too all sorts of persecution, inequality, intolerance, and racism. When one goes through their life dealing with pure hatred from other people shit will happen. Not saying he should be forgiven, but he has made strides to be a better person. I would highly advise you to watch the documentary 8th fire. It was a quite informative video highlighting Indigenous history through the last 500 years and how things have taken a dark turn today narrated by the man himself.

The reason I would vote for him because like him or not he is well aware of the current issues that Manitoba faces, is the most charismatic leader probably by far, and a lot of his policies are policies that I agree with such as housing first for the homeless population and reinstate the 50-50 operating grant for Transit which of course would significantly improve transit.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2022, 7:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebasketballgeek View Post
That is the thing though. Wab is not white rather he is an Indigenous person who has most likely been subjected too all sorts of persecution, inequality, intolerance, and racism. When one goes through their life dealing with pure hatred from other people shit will happen. Not saying he should be forgiven, but he has made strides to be a better person. I would highly advise you to watch the documentary 8th fire. It was a quite informative video highlighting Indigenous history through the last 500 years and how things have taken a dark turn today narrated by the man himself.
I think people might be more understanding if he had a tough upbringing, but he was a suburban kid whose parents were educated professionals. I mean, his dad was a university professor. He should have known better.

But that said, from what I can see, he has grown up. The questionable behaviour appears to be in his past so I am not terribly concerned by it.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2022, 7:12 PM

when i was 19, i was Wab's hockey coach, he was 10 or 11. no stories will be told here, but he was a heck of a hockey player, but i did make him ride the pine a few times for attitutde! that was 30 years ago

Old Posted Dec 14, 2022, 7:23 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebasketballgeek View Post

The reason I would vote for him because like him or not he is well aware of the current issues that Manitoba faces, is the most charismatic leader probably by far, and a lot of his policies are policies that I agree with such as housing first for the homeless population and reinstate the 50-50 operating grant for Transit which of course would significantly improve transit.
This. The ignorance some posters on here have on the impact of generational trauma from institutional racism and violent on Indigenous communities is disgusting and shameful. Even if Wab personally grew up privileged, that kind of trauma doesn't just disappear in one or two generations. Its something that effects both geographic and cultural communities.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan