HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Sep 27, 2022, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
This was reported earlier, but it was more Related in talks with Dolan. The Governor really doesn’t have anything to do with it. If Dolan wanted to move MSG, he still could. Related’s interests is the same as it was when they tried to get MSG into Farley - remove the arena so they could get those supertall towers built on site. Hochul doesn’t need that complicating the states plan. (The state’s plan doesn’t touch those 4 msf of air rights above the arena).

As far as Adams goes, he has no say either. At best, the city council could decline to renew the license to operate an arena on site, but the site would still be Dolan’s. And that would be followed by those inevitable towers. But yeah, Adams can “talk” about moving it. That’s all it ever is anyway.
Which surprises me. I would take advantage of Relateds offer, move to HY (and in the process build an entirely brand new stadium), and then use the massive sqft to make the tallest and largest (I believe?) skyscraper in the city with the best transit connections in the city.

But I can also see the value in having a stadium on the site, not that I at all agree with it.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2022, 10:42 PM
New Yorker for life

I think they want to determine which option would better serve most riders, with the coming expansion to the south. Alternatives are in orange and red.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2022, 10:51 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC123 View Post
Which surprises me. I would take advantage of Relateds offer, move to HY (and in the process build an entirely brand new stadium), and then use the massive sqft to make the tallest and largest (I believe?) skyscraper in the city with the best transit connections in the city.

But I can also see the value in having a stadium on the site, not that I at all agree with it.

The Dolans considered even Farley to be too far removed from the best transit. That’s not completely wrong either. The current site maximizes the available transit options - railroad, subway, PATH. The western yards is far removed in that context, and the signage - a big deal then - would be lost from the major Avenue. (They weren’t going to be permitted to put MSG signage on Farley). Then there’s the issue of approvals. Even what would have been a relatively unused stadium drew up firestorm opposition. The Garden is active daily.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2022, 4:48 PM

At this point MSG should just be reclad and the theater removed.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2022, 4:47 PM
New Yorker for life

https://commercialobserver.com/2022/...-south-office/

Facebook Moves Into Moynihan, Ditches 200K SF 225 Park Avenue South Office

BY MARK HALLUM
OCTOBER 4, 2022

Quote:
Meta, the parent company of Facebook and Instagram, will terminate its 200,000-square-foot lease at 225 Park Avenue South, after officially moving into the 730,000-square-foot space it committed to in Moynihan Train Hall in 2020, according to a source. The news was first reported by The Real Deal.

The company now has 3,000 employees working in the former Farley Post Office building — which is essentially part of the new Pennsylvania Station annex redeveloped by Vornado Realty Trust. Facebook originally inked the deal for the Park Avenue South space with Orda Management in 2016 as the tech company was expanding its office footprint throughout New York City and said it was a stopgap until it moved into Farley and its 1.5 million-square-foot Hudson Yards space.

“225 Park Avenue South has served as a great bridge space to get us to our new offices at Hudson Yards and Farley,” Meta spokesperson Jamila Reeves said in a statement. “We are working to ensure we’re making focused, balanced investments to support our most strategic long-term priorities. We remain firmly committed to New York and further anchoring our local footprint.”

Old Posted Oct 5, 2022, 5:34 PM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Oct 5, 2022, 5:41 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

huh, i thought i had read facebook canceled plans to move to moyinhan, no?

guess they changed their mind.

btw its a very cool space, i went to an art show up there a few years ago, it runs all the way around the top of the building.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2022, 3:00 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
huh, i thought i had read facebook canceled plans to move to moyinhan, no?

guess they changed their mind.

btw its a very cool space, i went to an art show up there a few years ago, it runs all the way around the top of the building.

The move to 50 Hudson was put on hold I believe, as they evaluate space needs. They leased twice as much space spread over 3 of the new towers there, mostly at 50.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2022, 1:20 AM

Quote:
That’s the thing that’s been held up waiting for the 15 Penn development. The underground connection is already there, it just hasn’t been opened in a few decades. Vornado is supposed to reopen and expand it. But now they are trying to determine if they want the connection at the current location, or move it to the south side of the block. I don’t know why we can’t have both.
Will be this underground connection between Penn Station and PATH open 24/7? It would be very important!

Old Posted Nov 5, 2022, 3:06 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by manchester united View Post
Will be this underground connection between Penn Station and PATH open 24/7? It would be very important!
Yes, Penn Station is open 24 hrs, and subway/PATH service will run as well.

NOVEMBER 2, 2022

Work continues on the LIRR 33rd St concourse...

Old Posted Nov 5, 2022, 4:03 PM

It's looking so good already

Old Posted Nov 5, 2022, 7:28 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC123 View Post
It's looking so good already
I can't even put into words how much better that concourse is now that they've raised that ceiling. Before, the ceiling was reachable, and now the higher ceiling gives the sense of more room and air, very important in a crowded concourse. When the restaurants and retail re-opens, it will be that much better. (It looks like Rose's Pizza will be back, some pretty dam good pizza).

What's more, there's now a unified look and feel with Moynihan, when you make the crossover. It no longer feels like you're moving from the palace to the dungeon. And we're only just beginning as far as that goes. Penn Station will be better than it's ever been when all of the concourses and expansion are completed.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2022, 6:49 PM

Are there any detailed plans on timetables oh what exactly they will be renovating? Everyday through Penn it's like a guessing game what they'll reveal or close off next.
The main corridor is looking fantastic, but is it known if the ceilings will be able to be raised in the cross section waiting areas by the tracks? I would imagine something will be done, wouldn't make sense to go from 18 foot ceilings right back to the 6 foot sections where the tracks actually are. Also seems like something will be done by the main 34th st staircase as they're constantly shuffling construction walls back and forth there.

I also saw one day they had a rendering hung up, it looks like they'll knock out the walls between the track staircases and replace with glass, so you can view the trains and tracks below like the lower level of Moynihan currently.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2022, 12:35 AM
New Yorker for life

^ The major renovations won’t begin until half the LIRR trains are moved to Grand Central Madison, which will be opening within the next couple of months. On a side note, I noticed today that they’ve just opened up another waiting area for the LIRR just past the underpass to Moynihan. I wasn’t expecting that. But small reveals like that are nice, and give more confidence in the improvements to come.

Took these earlier…

Old Posted Nov 7, 2022, 8:25 PM

Quote:
I can't even put into words how much better that concourse is now that they've raised that ceiling. Before, the ceiling was reachable, and now the higher ceiling gives the sense of more room and air, very important in a crowded concourse. When the restaurants and retail re-opens, it will be that much better. (It looks like Rose's Pizza will be back, some pretty dam good pizza).

What's more, there's now a unified look and feel with Moynihan, when you make the crossover. It no longer feels like you're moving from the palace to the dungeon. And we're only just beginning as far as that goes. Penn Station will be better than it's ever been when all of the concourses and expansion are completed.

Rose Pizza is great after a game at MSG!!

Hoping they open another pub like Friday's down there.. we used to have a few pints Tuesdays at Fridays, Wednesdays at Fridays and Friday at Fridays waiting for our train (LIRR)

Old Posted Nov 8, 2022, 3:03 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyNYC View Post
Rose Pizza is great after a game at MSG!!

Hoping they open another pub like Friday's down there.. we used to have a few pints Tuesdays at Fridays, Wednesdays at Fridays and Friday at Fridays waiting for our train (LIRR)
I can almost taste a slice. Vornado may have a directory of what’s planned to open like they did with Moynihan.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2022, 3:27 AM
New Yorker for life

https://www.newsday.com/amp/long-isl...ation-hg08mlcs

Found this…

Penn Station stores, 'iconic' Rose's Pizza, returning after three-year construction shutdown

By Alfonso A. Castillo
November 6, 2022

Quote:
A slice of normalcy is returning to Penn Station.

After shuttering all the restaurants and shops along the concourse three years ago, the LIRR announced last week that several businesses are on their way back to the Manhattan transit hub next spring, including one that’s been sorely missed by hurried and hungry Long Island commuters — Rose’s Pizza.
Quote:
Banners outside the closed storefronts announced that a smoothie joint, taqueria, salad shop and Duane Reade pharmacy will open along with the popular pizza joint. “Stay tuned in, more coming soon,” the LIRR posted on its social media accounts, along with photos of the banners.

Though MTA officials have pushed for more upscale restaurants and retail outlets in Penn, commuters have celebrated the return of Rose’s and other stores with affordable options that cater to their hurried lifestyles.

Long Beach commuter Chris Doherty has – for months – been posting comments on the LIRR’s Instagram posts urging the railroad to “bring Rose’s back to Penn Station.” He got his wish.

“Honestly, I couldn’t believe it… I had a lot of haters telling me it was never coming back,” said Doherty, 29, in an exchange on Instagram, his go-to platform for the LIRR over the “iconic” pizzeria “It was a reliable place that was always there when you needed it. Whether you missed your train or just caught a show at MSG, you can grab a slice and a beer and forget life for a while.”
Quote:
The pizzeria has long been a favorite meeting place for LIRR riders, who appreciate their take-out food, including sliced ​​pizza and large cans of beer. The restaurant received generally good reviews, including 3.5 stars out of 5 on Yelp. But it and all other businesses along the LIRR area in Penn closed in 2019 as the railroad scrambles to expand its concourse under 33rd Street.

The $600 million project involved raising ceilings in the cramped station and nearly doubling the width of the walkway from 30 to 57 feet. This was accomplished by pushing back the storefronts by about 20 feet.

Vornado Realty Trust, which owns most of the retail space in Penn, including that occupied by Rose’s, agreed to the new agreement in exchange for being allowed to take over retail space in Penn previously owned by the LIRR. Vornado officials declined to comment.

Attempts to locate the owner of Rose’s have been unsuccessful.
Quote:
The LIRR unveiled some of the upgrades in September, including 18-foot ceilings, and expects to complete the entire project early next year.

On Thursday, several commuters did a double-take as they passed Rose’s former home and saw the banner announcing his impending return. Port Washington resident Melissa Williams recalled the eatery as “a great place to grab a slice of pizza when I was late for work.”

“I remember my kids loved coming with me sometimes because we got pizza, like on Bring Your Daughter to Work Day,” said Williams, 55, who has worked remotely since the pandemic began and rarely drove through Penn is. “I was surprised that there are literally no services or restaurants or anything.”
Quote:
MTA officials have long expressed interest in more high-end stores in Penn, such as those available in Grand Central Terminal, Manhattan’s home of Metro-North. But several LIRR commuters and blue-collar advocates made it clear that they prefer more accessible dining options.

In response to the announcement of Penn’s upcoming restaurants, Gerard Bringmann, Chair of the LIRR Commuter Council, said, “So far, so good.”

“I just didn’t want everything to be upscale. If you want a Starbucks, that’s great. But give us a Dunkin’ Donuts or a Tim Horton’s or something. If you want a sushi place, give us Rose’s Pizza too,” Bringmann said. “That way, no matter who you are — whether you’re a construction worker or a businessman in a three-piece suit, you have a place to go that will make you happy.”

Even more new restaurants and other retail outlets are expected to open as Penn Station undergoes a $7 billion redevelopment project that will remove much of the upper level. Project officials said work could begin in 2023 and take about five years.
Quote:
Bringmann said he’s not overly concerned about Penn going straight from one construction project to the next, especially if there’s somewhere to grab a bite while work is underway.

“For our commuters, I think the difficult part is over,” Bringmann said.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2022, 9:01 PM

Quote:
Yes, Penn Station is open 24 hrs, and subway/PATH service will run as well.

NOVEMBER 2, 2022

Work continues on the LIRR 33rd St concourse...

Can the doubts about the construction of the 15 Penn Plaza skyscraper hinder the construction of the underground connection between Penn Station and PATH? I hope not!

Old Posted Nov 12, 2022, 4:17 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by manchester united View Post
Can the doubts about the construction of the 15 Penn Plaza skyscraper hinder the construction of the underground connection between Penn Station and PATH? I hope not!
There are no doubts about the construction of 15 Penn. The only issue is the timing. There are 10 skyscrapers projected to be built over 20 years. They know that due to market fluctuations it’s nearly impossible to predict an exact schedule, unless they build those towers on spec, which will not happen.

Currently the only question about a connections to the PATH is whether it will be on the north or south side of 15 Penn. I think they should do both.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2022, 4:45 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

yeah there is absolutely no way path is not going to be in the mix. not a worry at all. it will be interesting to see what they choise to do exactly.

honestly, i am more interested in penn station expansion timing, renders and construction than any of these new or possible new buildings.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development