HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Mar 6, 2024, 8:59 PM

Columbus IS the future of the three C's... meet it on it's trajectory.

...and Hard LOL to 6th street defining Austin hype. I blew my coffee out.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2024, 9:15 PM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColDayMan View Post
That is true but I've always been surprised Minneapolis hasn't tried to take the title in the past 30 years.
Agreed. Of all the cities in the mid-Upper mid West or basically all of "flyover country" (aside from Chicago) I thought Minneapolis would have a supertall or close to it by now, considering the MSA is around 3.7 million and the CSA is about 4.1 million people.
From 2010-2020 the MSA grew by a healthy avg of 34,300/yr

Edmonton and Calgary have taller skyscrapers now.

Last edited by Wigs; Mar 7, 2024 at 12:00 AM.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2024, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
Key tower set the bar fairly high.

It's still the tallest building in the Midwest outside of Chicago 3+ decades later.

It could reign in that role for quite some time to come.
The giant ornamental roof + spire certainly helps it a lot. Otherwise it's barely taller than the Ren Cen.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2024, 10:45 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
The giant ornamental roof + spire certainly helps it a lot. Otherwise it's barely taller than the Ren Cen.
Once again, using my highly scientific and precise "visually, which one looks the tallest" method, Cleveland's Key Tower safely holds its crown against any Detroit challenger.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2024, 1:03 AM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
Without the spire, Key Tower is still 161 feet taller than RenCen. I wouldn't call that barely. RenCen is closer in size to the Terminal Tower, which is barely shorter by 19 feet by roof height.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2024, 1:07 AM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXboom View Post
Columbus IS the future of the three C's... meet it on it's trajectory.

...and Hard LOL to 6th street defining Austin hype. I blew my coffee out.
Sorry, I didn't mean to imply Austin's "hype" is bound by 6th Street (it obviously is not). I strictly meant downtown vibrancy is helped greatly by 6th Street, much like Broadway does for Nashville.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2024, 9:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aderwent View Post
Fascinating indeed:

............... City....Urban.....MSA......CSA.......GDP........Market

Cincinnati: 3rd........2nd........1st........3rd........1st........3rd

Cleveland: 2nd........1st........3rd........1st........3rd........1st

Columbus: 1st........3rd........2nd........2nd........2nd........2nd

Although by 2030 it's looking like Columbus will be 1st in urban and MSA, and probably GDP. Cleveland will be 3rd in everything but CSA and market where it'll remain 1st.
Cleveland to me it's one of the most "problematic" MSAs right there with San Francisco, Los Angeles and New York.

A proper definition of "Cleveland metro area" to me should include at least both Cleveland and Akron MSAs (2.79 million inh.), placing it far ahead both Cincinnati (2.26 mi) and Columbus (2.14 mi) which already have quite generous metro area definitions by using MSA as reference.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2024, 10:00 AM

BTW, Cleveland and Akron MSA put together comprise "only" 7,509 km² (size of my home, the official São Paulo metro area). That compares to Cincinnati MSA at 11,775 km² and Columbus MSA with massive 12,423 km² (the size of Connecticut, which has almost twice as much people).

Old Posted Mar 7, 2024, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri View Post
Cleveland to me it's one of the most "problematic" MSAs right there with San Francisco, Los Angeles and New York.

A proper definition of "Cleveland metro area" to me should include at least both Cleveland and Akron MSAs (2.79 million inh.), placing it far ahead both Cincinnati (2.26 mi) and Columbus (2.14 mi) which already have quite generous metro area definitions by using MSA as reference.
Quote:
BTW, Cleveland and Akron MSA put together comprise "only" 7,509 km² (size of my home, the official São Paulo metro area). That compares to Cincinnati MSA at 11,775 km² and Columbus MSA with massive 12,423 km² (the size of Connecticut, which has almost twice as much people).
Of course the Cleveland MSA is smaller. It couldn't sprawl north. Combined Cleveland-Akron is down to 2.61. Cincinnati is up to 2.27. Columbus is up to 2.16. The fabled argument that Cleveland-Akron are measured different when it comes to MSA... So use CSA if you like. Cleveland is 7,664mi². Cincinnati is 4,794mi². Who's sprawling now? At least Columbus' central location makes sense for its large 8,971mi² considering how CSAs work.

If only there were objective measures called urban areas that don't follow arbitrary city or county lines. Oh wait, all three Cs are roughly the same population, and yet Columbus is only 516mi² while Cleveland sprawls 714mi² and Cincinnati 752mi²?

Old Posted Mar 7, 2024, 1:31 PM
devout Pizzatarian

The hair splitting is funny.

They are all roughly the same size.

Ohio has no alpha.

It's the anti-Illinois.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2024, 1:41 PM

Quote:
Of course the Cleveland MSA is smaller. It couldn't sprawl north. Combined Cleveland-Akron is down to 2.61. Cincinnati is up to 2.27. Columbus is up to 2.16. The fabled argument that Cleveland-Akron are measured different when it comes to MSA... So use CSA if you like. Cleveland is 7,664mi². Cincinnati is 4,794mi². Who's sprawling now? At least Columbus' central location makes sense for its large 8,971mi² considering how CSAs work.
I find CSAs in Ohio excessive as I good metric for metro area. Even for Cleveland. Merging Cleveland and Akron MSAs suffice for a good definition of "Cleveland metro area". And as I understand there is some one-sided rivalry there, one might call it Cleveland-Akron metro area if prefers to.

P.S. Cleveland and Akron has 2.79 mi in 2020, not 2.61.

Quote:
If only there were objective measures called urban areas that don't follow arbitrary city or county lines. Oh wait, all three Cs are roughly the same population, and yet Columbus is only 516mi² while Cleveland sprawls 714mi² and Cincinnati 752mi²?
They're not that objective. Los Angeles and San Bernardino UAs, San Francisco and San Jose UAs, New York and Bridgeport UAs and of course Cleveland and Akron UAs all form a single urban area and they're still arbitrarily separated.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2024, 1:43 PM

Quote:
The hair splitting is funny.

They are all roughly the same size.

Ohio has no alpha.

It's the anti-Illinois.
Ohio has no alpha, but Cleveland is still bigger than the others. And it was much bigger till recently. In 1990, Cleveland-Akron had almost twice the size of Columbus (2.76 mi vs 1.46 mi).

Old Posted Mar 7, 2024, 1:49 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
but Cleveland is still bigger than the others.
Only by CSA.

And CSAs are dumb.

Yes, cleveland was once the clear leader back in the day (and WAY back in the day, it was Cincy), but they're all in the same ballpark these days.

Anyway, all of this silly metro area taffy pulling is distracting us from the real topic, and that's how nice OH's tallest building is. It's the only 800+ footer in the Midwest outside of Chicago (and one of only two such towers in the broader Midwest/Rustbelt realm, Pittsburgh having the other).

Source: wikipedia

Last edited by Steely Dan; Mar 7, 2024 at 3:36 PM.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2024, 1:52 PM
video et taceo

Sweden's tallest is in the second city of Gothenburg.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2024, 1:59 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kool maudit View Post
Sweden's tallest is in the second city of Gothenburg.

wow, even taller than Turning Torso (Malmo)

Old Posted Mar 7, 2024, 2:29 PM

Quote:
Only by CSA.

And CSAs are dumb.

Yes, cleveland was once the clear leader back in the day (and WAY back in the day, it was Cincy), but they're all in the same ballpark these days.
MSAs and UAs, specially in Cleveland's case (and LA, and SF) are also verty dumb.

Cleveland is still clearly the biggest and it's been since the river-lake shift.

Quote:
Anyway, all of this silly metro area taffy pulling is distracting us from the real topic, and that's how nice OH's tallest building is. It's the only 800+ footer in the Midwest outside of Chicago.
Indeed. Cleveland skyscrapers are simply gorgeous! I'd like to live for a couple of months in one of those buildings Downtown and hang out in all those bars. Car free, obviously.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2024, 2:39 PM

Back to the topic, out of the 10 tallest buildings in Brazil, 7-9 are in Balneário Camboriú. With only 139,000 inh., it's not even the head of its own metro area, which is Itajaí. Itajaí-Balneário Camboriú agglomeration has 849k inh. and it's only the 29th most populated metro area (!!!) in the country. And it's only the 2nd most populated in Santa Catarina state, after Florianópolis (1.18 million).

São Paulo had the tallest till 2014 (Mirante do Vale), but not it fell out of the top 10. The brightside is São Paulo got a new tallest in 2022 (Platina 220), displacing Mirante do Vale that had been the tallest since 1966.

For more details (not sure how accurate is though): https://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lista_...ltos_do_Brasil and from a different source: https://noticias.uol.com.br/cotidian...o-camboriu.htm

Old Posted Mar 7, 2024, 2:43 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:

Cleveland is still clearly the biggest.
We'll have to agree to disagree and move on.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2024, 4:25 PM

Quote:
I find CSAs in Ohio excessive as I good metric for metro area. Even for Cleveland. Merging Cleveland and Akron MSAs suffice for a good definition of "Cleveland metro area". And as I understand there is some one-sided rivalry there, one might call it Cleveland-Akron metro area if prefers to.

P.S. Cleveland and Akron has 2.79 mi in 2020, not 2.61.

They're not that objective. Los Angeles and San Bernardino UAs, San Francisco and San Jose UAs, New York and Bridgeport UAs and of course Cleveland and Akron UAs all form a single urban area and they're still arbitrarily separated.
2020 was 4 years ago. Latest estimates are from July, 2022.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2024, 4:27 PM

Quote:
Only by CSA.

And CSAs are dumb.

Anyway, all of this silly metro area taffy pulling is distracting us from the real topic, and that's how nice OH's tallest building is. It's the only 800+ footer in the Midwest outside of Chicago (and one of only two such towers in the broader Midwest/Rustbelt realm, Pittsburgh having the other).

Source: wikipedia
Agreed! It's perfectly placed by the convention center catty corner across Cleveland Public Square from Terminal Tower. I never realized it has a mini-me.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions