HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jan 15, 2023, 3:58 PM

50 worst cities for bedbug infestations

These are the 50 worst cities for bedbug infestations in the US.
https://thehill.com/changing-america...us-orkin-says/

Old Posted Jan 15, 2023, 4:46 PM
Me?!?

I can attest to how bad they are here in the Philly area and at an employer we had to close the entire office down due to a massive infestation that started with a single person and it cost a lot of money to rectify. I have seen them crawling around while looking at real estate, etc., and it's something I am always tuned into from experiencing that awful infestation.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2023, 5:52 PM

I'm surprised the bed bugs didn't all starve to death in 2020.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2023, 12:10 AM

Can forumers please try to post more than merely a title and link offsite when starting a thread?

Old Posted Jan 16, 2023, 12:56 AM

I had no idea that bed bugs were related to place.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2023, 1:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideHBG View Post
I can attest to how bad they are here in the Philly area and at an employer we had to close the entire office down due to a massive infestation that started with a single person and it cost a lot of money to rectify. I have seen them crawling around while looking at real estate, etc., and it's something I am always tuned into from experiencing that awful infestation.
They're very hard to get rid of. I knew a lady who was in several assisted living facilities in the Dallas-Ft. Worth area and every last one of them had bad infestations.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2023, 1:58 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Some random motels on the side of the highway in NJ have them, such as my favorite, which I've stayed at when it was 3am and nothing was available, the Red Mill Inn. Various type of bugs, even during the winter and especially in the summer, because not my first rodeo there. No hot water, just freezing cold. When you go to close the window blinds, and grab the tilt wand, the wand comes apart so the blinds remain open and of course they are facing the sun side. Microwave doesn't work, stains on the bed, but you get free HBO and the remote is missing one battery. But bugs, there are bugs. But comes with the turf, 50 a night, its something. There's also a 75 year old house cleaner, hence why no cleaning occurs. She probally didn't make it due to Covid since its been a while.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2023, 4:00 AM

^ Say no more!

Old Posted Jan 16, 2023, 6:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
Some random motels on the side of the highway in NJ have them, such as my favorite, which I've stayed at when it was 3am and nothing was available, the Red Mill Inn. Various type of bugs, even during the winter and especially in the summer, because not my first rodeo there. No hot water, just freezing cold. When you go to close the window blinds, and grab the tilt wand, the wand comes apart so the blinds remain open and of course they are facing the sun side. Microwave doesn't work, stains on the bed, but you get free HBO and the remote is missing one battery. But bugs, there are bugs. But comes with the turf, 50 a night, its something. There's also a 75 year old house cleaner, hence why no cleaning occurs. She probally didn't make it due to Covid since its been a while.
That sounds like a few of the dives in my area.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2023, 2:56 PM
Me?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dariusb View Post
They're very hard to get rid of. I knew a lady who was in several assisted living facilities in the Dallas-Ft. Worth area and every last one of them had bad infestations.
You got that right, it was an immense amount of work and they get into everything and we found them in drawers, in the nooks and crannies of cubicles...

Quote:
One of my coworkers was in town and her flight was canceled last minute and instead of asking us for help and suggestions she picked a random hotel in Philly. She called us crying and we found her a much better spot. But in fairness it was not just about the awful condition of the room and there was a lot of illicit activity taking place.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2023, 4:03 PM

Quote:
Some random motels on the side of the highway in NJ have them, such as my favorite, which I've stayed at when it was 3am and nothing was available, the Red Mill Inn.
Prior to COVID they were a fairly common presence at many upscale hotels in Manhattan. I'm not sure what the scene is now since so many sat empty for so long... but they'll surely be back eventually. I would recommend that people always check the mattress for bed bug evidence before settling into a hotel room, no matter the star rating.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2023, 4:58 PM
sick transit, gloria

It seemed to be really bad in Toronto around 2016 or so, and I knew quite a few people who got them. I remember they were also found in (quite nice) movie theatres too. The thing with bed bugs is that while they're probably a lot more common in stereotypically "dirty" places they can also do just fine in clean, upscale environments.

An old roommate managed to get bit a bunch while staying at a quite nice hotel in LA. Thankfully managed to avoid spreading them to the house upon return - left bags in sub-zero temps for a few days then everything straight into the dryer. Other friends have had to do heat treatments on their apartments which was the only way to finally get rid of them.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2023, 5:36 PM

My first apartment building in Portland in 2003 had them, unbeknownst to me until I got a notice they were going to spray. Everything was fine in my apartment (i think?) until that happened, then they scattered all over and a week later I noticed little rows of red bumps on my hip. Nothing painful or itchy luckily. Then peeked under my futon mattress... omg it looked like dirt in the creases, so many bugs. And I was going to sleep every night with that right under me. I moved out immediately and got rid of all furniture. But they are sneaky lil guys. The little red bumps reappeared a month after I moved. They'd hitched a ride, i wanted to die. So after 2 spray treatments in the new apartment and running all my clothes through the dryer, they were finally gone. Glad I'm not allergic!

Old Posted Jan 17, 2023, 12:26 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideHBG View Post
One of my coworkers was in town and her flight was canceled last minute and instead of asking us for help and suggestions she picked a random hotel in Philly. She called us crying and we found her a much better spot. But in fairness it was not just about the awful condition of the room and there was a lot of illicit activity taking place.
Yeah those highway spots, tons of illicit activities. Anytime there's yelling occurring in the main lobby of some motel at 3 am, BIG sign right there that something isn't right.

But they get away with it. And these motels, especially in a state like NJ with all the regulations, you'd think there would be more inspections.

Although a few years back, I had a moron moment. Long story short, went to the club in Elizabeth with the gf, was 3 am, needed a spot, so stayed at some place along Route 1 near Linden... was so wonked out that I left the keys to the Benz on the table and the door right open, only to wake up at 7 am (not good sleep that day) to find out the door was wide open. In LINDEN NJ! As it goes, also a place where someone was in the lobby yelling. And yes, this was right by the highway.

Lesson to be learned is always check that the door is locked. And sleep in your car versus any motel on Route 1 with exception of The Bentley; they have a hot tub, and a good place for folks DTF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
Prior to COVID they were a fairly common presence at many upscale hotels in Manhattan. I'm not sure what the scene is now since so many sat empty for so long... but they'll surely be back eventually. I would recommend that people always check the mattress for bed bug evidence before settling into a hotel room, no matter the star rating.
The nice thing is that pools started to reopen or even hot tubs. During Covid, a lot of places had those areas restricted. Some places though still have covers for the remotes. When I stayed at the Georgia Tech Hotel , they still had Covid mitigation but nobody really followed it. Folks don't care as much now (which is progress).

But yeah, to your point, a quick spot check. If anything, if discovered, can argue for a better room. Maybe a suite. Always room for negotiation if bugs are discovered.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2023, 7:36 PM

Quote:
Yeah those highway spots, tons of illicit activities. Anytime there's yelling occurring in the main lobby of some motel at 3 am, BIG sign right there that something isn't right.

But they get away with it. And these motels, especially in a state like NJ with all the regulations, you'd think there would be more inspections.

Although a few years back, I had a moron moment. Long story short, went to the club in Elizabeth with the gf, was 3 am, needed a spot, so stayed at some place along Route 1 near Linden... was so wonked out that I left the keys to the Benz on the table and the door right open, only to wake up at 7 am (not good sleep that day) to find out the door was wide open. In LINDEN NJ! As it goes, also a place where someone was in the lobby yelling. And yes, this was right by the highway.

Lesson to be learned is always check that the door is locked. And sleep in your car versus any motel on Route 1 with exception of The Bentley; they have a hot tub, and a good place for folks DTF.

The nice thing is that pools started to reopen or even hot tubs. During Covid, a lot of places had those areas restricted. Some places though still have covers for the remotes. When I stayed at the Georgia Tech Hotel , they still had Covid mitigation but nobody really followed it. Folks don't care as much now (which is progress).

But yeah, to your point, a quick spot check. If anything, if discovered, can argue for a better room. Maybe a suite. Always room for negotiation if bugs are discovered.
Thank goodness you weren't robbed or worse!

Old Posted Jan 17, 2023, 7:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownpdx View Post
My first apartment building in Portland in 2003 had them, unbeknownst to me until I got a notice they were going to spray. Everything was fine in my apartment (i think?) until that happened, then they scattered all over and a week later I noticed little rows of red bumps on my hip. Nothing painful or itchy luckily. Then peeked under my futon mattress... omg it looked like dirt in the creases, so many bugs. And I was going to sleep every night with that right under me. I moved out immediately and got rid of all furniture. But they are sneaky lil guys. The little red bumps reappeared a month after I moved. They'd hitched a ride, i wanted to die. So after 2 spray treatments in the new apartment and running all my clothes through the dryer, they were finally gone. Glad I'm not allergic!
I visited a friend in Ft. Worth and she waited until I got there to say"by the way, I have bed bugs". At first I thought she was joking but then she started scratching. I was like nope, nice seeing you, gotta go. She was mad but I have enough medical issues and didn't need bedbugs bites added to the list.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2023, 4:38 PM
I am the law!

I imagine every hotel has, had or, will have them at some point.

I know a few that shut down for months of renovations/rebranding because they just couldn't get rid of them.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2023, 8:48 PM
“The Big EasyChair”

South Bend? Omaha?

Strange.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions