HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Feb 23, 2021, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
I'm hoping that was a typo and not an expression of admiration!
It was indeed a typo.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2021, 6:22 PM

The City of Vancouver has decided not to use the Jericho Youth Hostel to house the homeless due to lack of access and age of the buildings:

Lack of transit access, age of building cited as reasons for scrapping controversial shelter in Point Grey
Alyse Kotyk
Published Wednesday, February 24, 2021

VANCOUVER -- Vancouver's pricey Point Grey neighbourhood will no longer be the site of a new homeless shelter, with the city citing lack of access as its primary concern.

Last October, the city shared details of its $30-million homeless action plan, which included turning Jericho Hostel into a temporary homeless shelter for some of the people who had been living in Strathcona Park.

In an emailed statement, the city said the decision to scrap the shelter was made after staff toured the space and consulted with BC Housing.

"The city and its partners believe that due to the location of the building, the Jericho Hostel would not be a suitable space due to lack of access to transit and services, and that the age and design of the building mean that it would be inaccessible for people with mobility issue," the statement said....

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/lack-of-transi...grey-1.5322216

I still wonder why the city feels the need to operate a youth hostel here (or at all), when it could be used for below market housing for those employed in Vancouver as teachers, nurses, firemen etc.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2021, 11:07 PM

File this one clearly under the "no shit" drawer. Asinine that location was brought up in the first place.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2021, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svlt View Post
File this one clearly under the "no shit" drawer. Asinine that location was brought up in the first place.
But it would be "disruptive", and isn't that the be-all and end-all these days? Very fashionable.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2021, 5:41 PM
SkyTrain Nut

Heh.

The Vancouver Sun

Quote:
Adam Levy has had it with the city’s lack of action over the homeless camp in Strathcona Park.

So Wednesday morning, he drove to the park and picked up a trailer-load of garbage. Then he drove to Vancouver City Hall and dumped it.

“I live in Strathcona, and I have two children,” said Levy. “I’m fed up with Strathcona Park, and the city’s lack of responsibility to us, as taxpayers. I would like to give them some of the garbage that’s their responsibility on their front doorstep, to remind them of their responsibility.”

Levy has previously participated in neighbourhood protests over the homeless camp, as well as writing emails and making phone calls to the city.

But eight months into the encampment, he decided to take it a step further.

“Obviously the emails and phone calls aren’t doing anything,” he said. “I want to put this in the face of city hall, and say, ‘This is what we have on our door step, I’m putting it on yours.’ ”

- https://vancouversun.com/news/local-...ark-is-garbage
I sense a little bit of NIMBY, but his reasons ate still entirely valid.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2021, 7:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIPS View Post
Heh.

The Vancouver Sun

Good for him! The city's incompetence on this file is unbelievable. This is one reason I was against municipal elections going from a 3 year cycle to a 4 year cycle. Too much stuff can occur and really impact residents' lives in that time. I hope the NPA gets its act together by 2022. The Green-COPE alliance controlling the Parks Board needs to be kicked to the curb.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2021, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Developer Peter Wall is in the news today over having made a $1 million donation to the VPD Foundation to help secure more policing downtown:

$1M donation to Vancouver policing inappropriate, critics say
BY MARTIN MACMAHON AND DENISE WONG
Posted Feb 22, 2021

VANCOUVER (NEWS 1130) – A Vancouver real estate developer’s $1 million donation to the Vancouver Police Foundation for mental health and addiction services is raising the eyebrows of city councillors and homeless advocates.

In a bid to improve police services in areas including the Downtown Eastside, real estate developer Peter Wall donated the money for services delivered by police and for five community policing centres, but not everybody is convinced this cash will actually contribute to improving safety...

....City Councillor Jean Swanson says it’s not appropriate for millionaires and corporations to donate to the police and potentially influence how they approach things.

“That can skew what gets done by police and the direction of what they want, rather than what the general public wants,” Swanson said.

She said she didn’t know this was happening, and “was pretty horrified that corporations and rich people were donating to the police foundation.”...

https://www.citynews1130.com/2021/02...uver-policing/
I can confirm there were huge ulterior motives for this donation as someone in the know. Did not support nor found it appropriate to essentially bribe the police. Interesting to note at the same time Peter Wall brought up his plan for the DTES where the city essentially would donate land to Wall Financial for them to develop a "in theory" solution to homelessness and crime. Of course they are asking for a lot in return.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2021, 9:46 PM

Quote:
Good for him! The city's incompetence on this file is unbelievable. This is one reason I was against municipal elections going from a 3 year cycle to a 4 year cycle. Too much stuff can occur and really impact residents' lives in that time. I hope the NPA gets its act together by 2022. The Green-COPE alliance controlling the Parks Board needs to be kicked to the curb.
Don't worry. I'm sure they'll ticket HIM for illegal dumping. The ticket will probably have the mayor's personal signature on it.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2021, 11:47 PM
Joshua B.

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...-eastside.html

Quote:
The proposed parklet on Princess Avenue will provide a place where Downtown Eastside residents can drink alcohol without fear of being hassled by police. It comes months after the city started a pilot program to allow people to drink alcohol at several public plazas, none of which are in the Downtown Eastside.
Vancouver City Council showing double standards again, relaxing laws for non-tax paying citizens.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2021, 3:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logicbomb View Post
https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...-eastside.html

Vancouver City Council showing double standards again, relaxing laws for non-tax paying citizens.
Lunatics have taken over the asylum, and then opened the doors wide open.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2021, 5:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
Lunatics have taken over the asylum, and then opened the doors wide open.

This is so wonderful.

A tax paying citizen can't cycle to third beach (me) to enjoy a local bevvy while catching some Vitamin D without VPD issuing a citation or at the least pouring out the booze.

But, the local addict can; shoot up and leave needles on playground, defecate in public spaces, drink in public, and steal all without ANY repercussion.

Because what? Because these people are vulnerable?

Congratulations poverty advocates, you managed to create hell for everyone involved.

This is such an irrational shit show, that I cant even type this post without losing my patience.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2021, 5:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Changing City View Post
I don't see anything positive coming out of debating the problems of the DTES on here. So I'll stop.
There is nothing positive that will come of any of this, period.

Until there is a 180 degree course reversal, instead of constant poverty advocate driven policy decisions being doubled down on nothing changes.

Ill give you all a free preview of the coming decades;

1. The DTES issues continue to worsen despite further relaxation of laws. Latest; see drinking in Princess Park.

2. Advocates continue to lobby for further concessions. Those are given. Whatever they maybe.

3. The conditions continue to deteriorate, and we continue to follow the same path and continue to be surprised at no positive change.

4. Vancouver's international reputation begins to tarnish. Its no longer known for the natural beauty, but for the warzone that it is, and the reluctance of locals to accept it and deal with it.

5. The global public shame enables a populist politician to run on a platform to deal with the DTES and little less - they win. This will have an even worse effect, because like most populists, the rhetoric is simple but the solution isn't.

6. Welcome to 2030. Every Vancouver citizen is worse off for the decisions over the previous 2 decades, and serious conversations begin on the appropriate way to handle the problem.

7. 2035. Funding secured for proper facilities where people can be incarcerated under medical supervision.

8. 2040. Facilities open, the DTES issues finally reach a resolution and a meaningful improvement in quality of life is achieved principally for DTES residents, but also for the rest of Vancouver.

Enjoy the next 2 decades of misery, filth, disease, death, and pain.

Its so clear to see for anyone willing to take a look in the crystal ball. And most of you know in your gut I'm right. Were not unique, were not special, a version of this tale has been told countless times before.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2021, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIPS View Post
Heh.

The Vancouver Sun

Awesome, that's the way to do it.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2021, 1:01 AM

More DTES yahoos doing their sprees terrorizing businesses in downtown Vancouver. What are authorities going to do? Probably nothing.

Bear spray, needles, knives and guns: 260% increase in shoplifting with weapons downtown, Vancouver police say
https://bc.ctvnews.ca/bear-spray-nee...-say-1.5312945

Bleeding hearts are definitely siding with these criminals to let our society spiral down to what it is today.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2021, 2:12 AM

Robson IGA owner said in a recent interview that violent customers in his store have become daily. DAILY. I am surprised anyone wants to run a business in the Downtown slum anymore.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2021, 2:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcminsen View Post
I just realized now that I had a third incident back on Thursday. I know this thread is about Downtown East Side issues but it seems like these issues are more common than ever outside of the DTES.
Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
I walk back from the office late at night and try to avoid anyone I see on the sidewalks.
I read daily comments on Reddit from females living Downtown that have completely stopped going out after dark as all of Downtown has just become too dangerous of a place. This is so incredible to read as I always felt safe when I still lived in Downtown but things have clearly changed for the worse in the last 5 years and more areas have turned into a shithole.

There are also many comments of people fearing for their safety straight up moving out of Downtown and Vancouver due to violence and crime. Sounds like a new "White Flight" is taking place.

Last edited by Klazu; Feb 28, 2021 at 1:33 AM.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2021, 12:30 AM
Joshua B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post

I read daily comments on Reddit from females living Downtown that have completely stopped going out after dark as all of Downtown has just become too dangerous of a place. This is so incredible to read as I always felt safe when I still lived in Downtown but things have clearly changed for the worse in the last 5 years and more areas have turned into a shithole.

There are also many comments of people fearing for their safety straight up moving out of Downtown and Vancouver due to violence and crime. Sounds like a new "White Flight" is taking place.
My sisters company just ripped up the lease in Gastown and decided to have their staff just work from home. The pandemic was a factor but the company also said their office had been vandalized about 5 times in the past 6 months. The female staff had concerns pre-pandemic being harassed and threatened going to and from the office.

My last time Downtown was in 2019 and I was physically and verbally harassed at Waterfront Station at that Starbucks when I refused to hand over change to a homeless guy. Some may call it aggressive panhandling but the stories of individuals being threatened for money is robbery in my eyes.

It's sad to say but I think it will take a few brazen murders until we see any reform or change. Thus far, we had one senior get killed.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2021, 3:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logicbomb View Post
....I think it will take a few brazen murders until we see any reform or change. Thus far, we had one senior get killed.
Senior here and I've been attacked while cycling through the DES-one push, my head hits the pavement and I'm a statistic didn't happen that time but it easily could; and No I haven't been back to Sunrise Produce since too bad it can be a cool/fun place to shop.

I do want to check out the new edition of Kozak Ukrainian Eatery when they open on Cordova in a few months but it'll be AM/early afternoon visits only-one incident and I'm gone.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2021, 4:41 PM

People need to send these stories to mayor and council and to the media.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2021, 4:33 AM

Quote:
People need to send these stories to mayor and council and to the media.
Why?

So we can be told it's our fault?

Pilloried in the press for 'being in the wrong place at the wrong time'/too bad so sad?

Because no one and I mean No One gives a shit about some old codger croaking you're forgotten by day's end.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues