HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Feb 18, 2016, 5:59 AM
BANNED

Park Tower 2.0? Nah, that Elysian pile of shit is that. This is more like Park Tower part deux, the 2016 version of something that was out-dated over a decade ago...

Old Posted Feb 18, 2016, 6:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
Park Tower 2.0? Nah, that Elysian pile of shit is that. This is more like Park Tower part deux, the 2016 version of something that was out-dated over a decade ago...
Parte Deuxe

Old Posted Feb 18, 2016, 6:13 AM
BANNED

Parté deuce

... deuce as in shit

Old Posted Feb 18, 2016, 1:20 PM
Development Shill

Quote:
Parté deuce

... deuce as in shit

If the development of this city was made up to people like you we'd have about 7 skyscrapers because everything else is too ugly for you. You are this forums negative nancy, and it's just obnoxious to read negative comment after negative comment.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2016, 2:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumdogmillionaire View Post
If the development of this city was made up to people like you we'd have about 7 skyscrapers because everything else is too ugly for you. You are this forums negative nancy, and it's just obnoxious to read negative comment after negative comment.
I've turned my opinion around on Tom to a certain degree. He is direct with his opinion and stirs up a vigorous debate on this forum. I don't approve of his language or rampant use of emojis. On the other hand, this forum is made up of responses to Tom's poorly articulated critiques as much or more than his posts. Best not to just say "Tom sucks."

Old Posted Feb 18, 2016, 3:42 PM

It's just a matter of taste he may just like newer style with glass I like older style with lots of details but to automatically dismiss this protect as a POS without even the foundation in place is premature. I honestly think it's going to come out nice. All this hate just because it's precast is silly. Precast is effective, cost efficient, durable, and if executed correctly, can look very nice imo. This project changes things up a bit in streetville and I welcome it.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2016, 5:29 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildThemTaller View Post
I've turned my opinion around on Tom to a certain degree. He is direct with his opinion and stirs up a vigorous debate on this forum. I don't approve of his language or rampant use of emojis. On the other hand, this forum is made up of responses to Tom's poorly articulated critiques as much or more than his posts. Best not to just say "Tom sucks."
So constant self-contradiction and trolling are considered 'direct' and 'stirring vigorous debates'?

Wow, I guess it's pretty damn easy to impress forumers around here.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2016, 6:06 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by go go white sox View Post
It's just a matter of taste he may just like newer style with glass I like older style with lots of details but to automatically dismiss this protect as a POS without even the foundation in place is premature. I honestly think it's going to come out nice. All this hate just because it's precast is silly. Precast is effective, cost efficient, durable, and if executed correctly, can look very nice imo. This project changes things up a bit in streetville and I welcome it.
Serious question: can you provide an example of a very nice looking precast building in Chicago; I can't think of any.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2016, 6:11 PM

Quote:
... I like older style with lots of details ...
Though we don't actually see anything like a "reproduction" of the fine detailing and granularity of the past.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2016, 8:25 PM
BANNED

Quote:
No, this project isn't being dismissed simply "because it's precast", it's being dismissed because it's poorly designed trash and a taller version of the absolute cancer that is that god-awful Ritz Carlton building on Michigan.

chicagoagentmagazine.com

I get nauseated every time I drive past this TURD. And hey look that Park Hyatt shit stack is captured in the same picture. Priceless!

Old Posted Feb 18, 2016, 8:52 PM

[QUOTE=prelude91;7340404]Serious question: can you provide an example of a very nice looking precast building in Chicago; I can't think of any.[

I can't think of any but that's because there are not many skyscrapers in Chicago that use it again that I can think of but then again I don't really claim to know our buildings that well perhaps someone can interject

Old Posted Feb 18, 2016, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKChaz View Post
Though we don't actually see anything like a "reproduction" of the fine detailing and granularity of the past.
I was just stating my preference in general this project your right def not an example although the last batch of renders I actually really liked

Old Posted Feb 18, 2016, 8:54 PM

Quote:
No, this project isn't being dismissed simply "because it's precast", it's being dismissed because it's poorly designed trash and a taller version of the absolute cancer that is that god-awful Ritz Carlton building on Michigan.

chicagoagentmagazine.com

I get nauseated every time I drive past this TURD. And hey look that Park Hyatt shit stack is captured in the same picture. Priceless!
My point is your prematurely dismissing it without it actually being build. Not saying your wrong but at least wait to see the final product to give final judgement. IMO sometimes the final product comes out much better then the renders and sometimes it's worse we will see. One thing I noticed on the article it states completion for 2017 I don't think that's realistic is it? For a 67 story building maybe they meant 2018

Old Posted Feb 18, 2016, 9:15 PM
Urbane observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude91 View Post
Serious question: can you provide an example of a very nice looking precast building in Chicago
Franklin Center

NBC Tower

Old Posted Feb 18, 2016, 9:20 PM
Metal Up Your !

Quote:

chicagoagentmagazine.com

Wut? That's probably the most attractive building in the picture. I like it. Precast doesn't equal bad all the time. I worry about buildings with that material, but it's not always a stack of shit.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2016, 9:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
Franklin Center

NBC Tower
This has been brought up multiple times: NBC Tower is not faced with precast, the façade system is precast with limestone and granite veeneer.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2016, 9:50 PM

Quote:

If you are responding to a design because it reminds you of something awful you have no better discernment than those folks who love the design because it reminds them of a classic.

Stern is not Lagrange. Lagrange is far less subtle and far more obnoxious in his references to various clashing nostalgic styles. I think Stern has done a good job on this one it doesn't have the mess of second empire meets beaux arts meets art deco or whatever. Everything is subtle enough here that I think it works alright. Execution is a different matter though. From what I have seen of his 30 park place tower I don't have high expectations for the precast

Old Posted Feb 18, 2016, 11:04 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlw777 View Post
If you are responding to a design because it reminds you of something awful you have no better discernment than those folks who love the design because it reminds them of a classic.

Stern is not Lagrange. Lagrange is far less subtle and far more obnoxious in his references to various clashing nostalgic styles. I think Stern has done a good job on this one it doesn't have the mess of second empire meets beaux arts meets art deco or whatever. Everything is subtle enough here that I think it works alright. Execution is a different matter though. From what I have seen of his 30 park place tower I don't have high expectations for the precast
Blah blah blah... A. M. Stern is a garbage architect with a garbage firm that does garbage work. There is absolutely no justifying this kind of antiquated approach to design in 20fucking16! This kind of detestably bourgeois, french provincial garbage may appeal to the über rich in places like Dallas or in Manhattan because those people tend to be notoriously tasteless, but it should have zero place in Chicago. And what makes it all that much worse, it's not even done with fine materials. I have no problem comparing Stern with Lagrange; both are enemies of modern design and only serve to perpetuate the insidious degeneration of architecture in this town, something that was once a vaunted point of pride... but nowadays, eh, not at all... because why should architecture matter anymore when you're building solely to house Joe-Blow-Schaumburg?

Old Posted Feb 18, 2016, 11:14 PM
Development Shill

Quote:
Blah blah blah... A. M. Stern is a garbage architect with a garbage firm that does garbage work. There is absolutely no justifying this kind of antiquated approach to design in 20fucking16! This kind of detestably bourgeois, french provincial garbage may appeal to the über rich in places like Dallas or in Manhattan because those people tend to be notoriously tasteless, but it should have zero place in Chicago. And what makes it all that much worse, it's not even done with fine materials. I have no problem comparing Stern with Lagrange; both are enemies of modern design and only serve to perpetuate the insidious degeneration of architecture in this town, something that was once a vaunted point of pride... but nowadays, eh, not at all... because why should architecture matter anymore when you're building solely to house Joe-Blow-Schaumburg?
Tell us how you really feel Tom.

Dude you need to take a chill pill. First of all, calling A.M. a bad architecture firm alone should get you banned from this forum, but on top of that you use your feelings over facts in almost every single post you make. Let the building get built before you judge it.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2016, 2:24 AM

Quote:
Aaaand... thank you for proving my point

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlw777 View Post

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive