HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 12:11 AM

PHILADELPHIA | The Ryland @ One Dock Street | 380 FT | 31 FLOORS

The NIMBY's can't stop this forever!

Title: One Dock Street
Project: Residential
Architect: BLT Architects
Developer: LCOR
Neighborhood: Society Hill
District: Center City
Floors: 31 Floors
Height: 374 Feet

A look at the residential tower planned for the Sheraton site in Society Hill
Quote:
Developer Buccini/Pollin Group’s plans for a 31-story residential tower on the grounds of Center City’s Sheraton Society Hill Hotel on Dock Street are moving forward, despite neighborhood opposition to the proposal.
The neighborhood groups are challenging last summer’s zoning approval for the roughly 270-dwelling-unit “addition” to the existing building. A hearing to appeal the approval before the Zoning Board of Adjustment this week was continued with no decision, a city spokesman said.

The plans would also have to be presented to the Philadelphia Civic Design Review board for suggestions. But since both of those bodies play only an advisory role, Buccini/Pollin would be permitted to complete its project if the neighborhood opponents' zoning challenge is unsuccessful.
The tower would be at the southern part of the 2.5-acre property, which is currently open space with some landscaping.
http://www.philly.com/news/sheraton-...-20190117.html
The actual height is probably taller but I'm lowballing it for now. When the CDR review presentation comes out I'll update as necessary.

Last edited by summersm343; May 8, 2022 at 5:54 PM.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 1:13 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
It's probably taller but I'm lowballing it for now. When the CDR review presentation comes out I'll update as necessary.
So this is your rendering, not the official one?

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 1:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscraper View Post
So this is your rendering, not the official one?
No, this is official. I just don't know the actual height of the building, so I estimated it by my own calculations to be somewhere in the ballpark of 380 ft. They're apparently submitting it to the February CDR so we should get something exact then. I wouldn't be surprised if it scrapes the 400' mark.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 1:47 AM

The skin reminds me a bit of the eastern side of the new Comcast tower, with horizontal bracings along the side instead of diagonal ones, and additional vertical bracings along the north and south sides. I like it a lot. The views here will be incredible.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 2:05 AM

I’m not a big fan. Boring glass box. But still thrilled to see a tower go up here, and I expect the design may change. I’m sure the interiors and views will be amazing. What are the towers shown on the other side, the western side, of the Sheraton? They are fictional, yes?

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 2:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
I’m not a big fan. Boring glass box. But still thrilled to see a tower go up here, and I expect the design may change. I’m sure the interiors and views will be amazing. What are the towers shown on the other side, the western side, of the Sheraton? They are fictional, yes?
You mean in the background to the right? Those are real.
In this picture the only buildings west of the proposed site are the Society Hill Towers. They have been around for quite some time now.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 2:20 AM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:
You mean in the background to the right? Those are real.
In this picture the only buildings west of the proposed site are the Society Hill Towers. They have been around for quite some time now.
Correct. They are I.M. Pei towers completed in the late 70s. And to the right is the 101 Walnut condo tower. And frankly, I don't get the opposition to this corner or the one by the move theatre a few blocks up. It's really a dead zone both during the day and night, except like 2nd/Chestnut and 2nd/Market. I hope this happens. With the covering of I-95 across the street to be a park and the river views, it should be pretty desirable place to live.

Interesting to see they are building right on top of existing Sheraton. I saw a crew doing soil samples over the summer

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 2:27 AM
Philly Rising Up!

delete. redundant.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 2:31 AM

Quote:
No, this is official. I just don't know the actual height of the building, so I estimated it by my own calculations to be somewhere in the ballpark of 380 ft. They're apparently submitting it to the February CDR so we should get something exact then. I wouldn't be surprised if it scrapes the 400' mark.
Yes, I meant the ones to the right, not the Society Hill Towers. I guess my sense of orientation in this render is off.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 2:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
Correct. They are I.M. Pei towers completed in the late 70s. And to the right is the 101 Walnut condo tower. And frankly, I don't get the opposition to this corner or the one by the move theatre a few blocks up. It's really a dead zone both during the day and night, except like 2nd/Chestnut and 2nd/Market. I hope this happens. With the covering of I-95 across the street to be a park and the river views, it should be pretty desirable place to live.

Interesting to see they are building right on top of existing Sheraton. I saw a crew doing soil samples over the summer
Now I see. This will really be built on Dock close to 2nd street and the towers I referenced are the existing ones close to front street. Thanks.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 2:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
Correct. They are I.M. Pei towers completed in the late 70s.
They were actually completed in 1964, but were converted from apartments to condos in 1979.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 3:06 AM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Fan View Post
They were actually completed in 1964, but were converted from apartments to condos in 1979.
Thanks. You are correct. I conflated the years for completion vs conversion.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 3:14 AM

Is this a Philly Special? A boring glass box on top of a brick podium. It's only a first draft but generic, safe, boring, conservative, and meh are all apt descriptions. Hope to see some real improvements to this. Certainly doesn't come close to the Society Hill Towers' understated elegance. Still want to see this project move forward.

What grounds are the obstructionists appealing? Do they have a case? Per the article, the case is the last obstacle. I am sure that one asshat (name is escaping me) is filing the suit. I wonder if he dropped his lawsuit against SLC (1911 Walnut) so he can focus on fighting this. Considering it's right next door to the SH Towers, any argument that this tower is "out of scale" with its surroundings make no sense. At 3rd and Locust, in the heart of SH, I get. But here?

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 5:46 AM

I actually don't mind this. Sure, it's not too original, but it does fit in well with the Society Hill Towers.

Save the SS United States!

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 11:55 AM

I'm not getting some of the reactions to this. This is a handsome building and I'd be happy to see it built.

I get the feeling that some would like every new tower to be some futuristic gleeming glass shard or something.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 2:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mja View Post
I'm not getting some of the reactions to this. This is a handsome building and I'd be happy to see it built.

I get the feeling that some would like every new tower to be some futuristic gleeming glass shard or something.
I’m not getting that you are not getting them...it doesn’t need to be a gleaming glass shard to have greater architectural interest. If you look at what’s going up in New York, Chicago, and Miami, I think it’s completely reasonable to lament Philadelphia’s generally lackluster, repetitive, and derivative residential architecture. Still, everyone who has commented on the tower is happy about it and would like to see it rise, even as pictured.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 2:31 PM
Cory Trevor Leahy

Honestly I think this rendering misrepresents how close the new tower is to Society Hill Towers. Though I don't hate the design, it looks a little ordinary for what are bound to be very high-end units.

That said, Society Hill Civic takes NIMBYism to a level beyond any other single entity in the city-- they even master planned their own NIMBYism:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n1i25xytih...30.17.pdf?dl=0

Some of their greatest hits include: delaying Independence Place for 20 years, stopping the African American museum from being built in their neighborhood in the 70s, shaking down Pennsylvania Hospital every time they built a new building and suing them even after they give in, forcing the New Market site to stay empty for decades, holding back the Dilworth House site from getting developed, and worst of all creating the precedent that other RCOs in town use try to kill projects for little to no reason.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 3:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaamazarite View Post
Honestly I think this rendering misrepresents how close the new tower is to Society Hill Towers. Though I don't hate the design, it looks a little ordinary for what are bound to be very high-end units.

That said, Society Hill Civic takes NIMBYism to a level beyond any other single entity in the city-- they even master planned their own NIMBYism:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n1i25xytih...30.17.pdf?dl=0

Some of their greatest hits include: delaying Independence Place for 20 years, stopping the African American museum from being built in their neighborhood in the 70s, shaking down Pennsylvania Hospital every time they built a new building and suing them even after they give in, forcing the New Market site to stay empty for decades, holding back the Dilworth House site from getting developed, and worst of all creating the precedent that other RCOs in town use try to kill projects for little to no reason.
Agree. And while I do think Society Hill is a unique neighborhood and one of a small and esteemed group where maintaining the character of the neighborhood is an argument that holds some weight, these people take it way too far. They object to a 4-story building as too tall and out-of character (Acme) and pretty much any attempt to add a modicum of density and life. Also, Walnut Steet is on the outskirts of the neighborhood and in close proximity to other towers. Towers are appropriate there. I think the boundaries should be redefined so that Walbut Street is drawn out of Society Hill and its Civic.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 3:34 PM

The developer is LCOR, not Buccini Pollin. BPG will own/operate the hotel which is being renovated and rebranded as a Marriott, LCOR will own/operate the apartment building. There will be some shared amenities between the buildings, which is apparently still being negotiated between the companies.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 3:41 PM

I am happy this area is getting some density. Factor in the I-95 capping and evolution of Penn's Landing/Spruce St Harbor Park - it should spur some additional attractiveness to a local and touristy spot.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive