HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Mar 29, 2021, 2:04 PM

Shared on the NCC's Twitter. Pick one and go!

Students Share Design Ideas for 24 Sussex Drive with NCC

https://architecture.carleton.ca/arc..._medium=social

Old Posted Mar 29, 2021, 3:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Shared on the NCC's Twitter. Pick one and go!

Students Share Design Ideas for 24 Sussex Drive with NCC

https://architecture.carleton.ca/arc..._medium=social
I'm not really feeling any of these ideas TBH. Sorry kids!

Old Posted Apr 5, 2021, 4:47 AM

I shall also pass on these designs.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2021, 1:09 PM

I like Wampum. Intertwined is decent. I guess I lean more towards square and sqarish additions of stone and glass that don't clash with the old and keep the structures closer together in order to use the least amount if space, thus preserving the grounds.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2021, 2:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
I like Wampum. Intertwined is decent. I guess I lean more towards square and sqarish additions of stone and glass that don't clash with the old and keep the structures closer together in order to use the least amount if space, thus preserving the grounds.
Agreed on Wampum. I also like Intertwined, with the exception of that 80s curvy glass wall. It keeps functions separate and gives us our own version of the West Wing.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2021, 9:27 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

NCC board decry 'embarrassing' state of decripit 24 Sussex Drive

Blair Crawford, Ottawa Citizen
Publishing date: Jun 23, 2021 • 48 minutes ago • 3 minute read

“Embarrassing.” A “trainwreck.” “Political paralysis.”

A National Capital Commission board member minced no words Wednesday when warning about the decrepit state of 24 Sussex Drive, the prime minister’s official residence. A report on the six official residences the NCC manages lists 24 Sussex as the one most critically in need of repair. It says the commission needs to spend $17.5 million a year for the next decade to pay for nearly $90 million in deferred maintenance and to bring it and the other buildings up to snuff.

“It’s stating the obvious to say this is a delicate file,” said lawyer and board member Michael Foderick at Wednesday’s meeting. “There’s a measure of political paralysis with this government and with the last government. I think we forget we’re talking about some of the most cherished public assets of the highest national significance.”

That 24 Sussex has been allowed to deteriorate so badly “is a pox on many houses, including our own,” Foderick said, adding the NCC must do some “soul-searching” over what has been allowed to happen to the building “under our noses.”

“If my children ever asked me, ‘What did I do? How did I let that happen?’ I wouldn’t have a good answer for them.”

Since the last report on official residences in 2018, the buildings have continued to deteriorate with only 24 per cent rated in “good” condition compared to 34 per cent three years ago. Although the NCC has poured $26 million into the repairs since 2018, the cost of deferred maintenance has grown by about $6 million.

At 24 Sussex, building systems can no longer be maintained and require immediate replacement, the report says. The electrical system poses a fire hazard, the plumbing fails on a regular basis and the interior is rife with mould, asbestos and lead.

“Of all the things people ask me about in my role here at the NCC, I think ‘What’s going on at 24 Sussex?’ is No. 1,” said board member Deborah Lynn Morrison. “It doesn’t matter if they live in Ottawa or other parts of the country or their socioeconomic status. They all identify that as part of their identity too.”

In addition to 24 Sussex, the NCC is responsible for the governor general’s residence at Rideau Hall, the PM’s summer cottage at Harrington Lake, Stornaway, residence for the leader of the Opposition, The Farm, home to the Speaker of the House of Commons, and 7 Rideau Gate, which is made available to official guests of the government. The six official residences together have 49 support buildings. Sixty per cent of them are ranked as in either poor or critical condition. The buildings’ antiquated systems are also responsible for 60 per cent of all greenhouse gas emissions by the NCC.

It’s been 60 years since the last significant refit at 24 Sussex. Built in 1867, the 34-room mansion has served as the PM’s official residence since 1951. Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has chosen to live with his family across the road at Rideau Cottage on the grounds of Rideau Hall although 24 Sussex is still used for workspace by household staff.

At a minimum, the house requires abatement of hazardous materials, fixes to the building envelope, complete replacement of the mechanical and electrical systems, and construction of an accessible entrance and washrooms, the report says. Urgent repairs alone will cost $24 million.

Speaking to reporters after the meeting, NCC chair Marc Seaman said the disrepair at the official residences “is a legacy of decades of lack of investment in the properties.”

“There’s a sense of urgency from the board,” Seaman said. “We recognize that these are official residence and they don’t belong to political parties. They belong to the people of Canada.”

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...4-sussex-drive

Old Posted Jun 23, 2021, 11:35 PM

Amazing that with all the billions being tossed around in infrastructure spending, they can't come up with a relative pittance to keep those buildings even somewhat up to date.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2021, 2:47 AM

Step one - sell Stornaway and the government guest house.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2021, 1:28 PM

Presentation and submission available online:

https://ncc-ccn.gc.ca/events/virtual..._medium=social

Submission: https://ncc-website-2.s3.amazonaws.c...410&focal=none

PowerPoint presentation can be accessed on the website.

Full NCC Board Meeting available on YouTube.

Video Link

Old Posted Jun 24, 2021, 1:31 PM

I think I'm firmly on Team "tear it down and start over" regarding 24 Sussex. The existing house is not historically intact; its appearance was completely changed in the 1950s.

But they should get on with it, already. Hopefully they will after the next election.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2021, 2:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradnixon View Post
I think I'm firmly on Team "tear it down and start over" regarding 24 Sussex. The existing house is not historically intact; its appearance was completely changed in the 1950s.

But they should get on with it, already. Hopefully they will after the next election.
Welcome aboard! I'd happily drive the bulldozer myself for free if it would help get on with it already. Plus also fun.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2021, 2:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Step one - sell Stornaway and the government guest house.
What does that help?

Old Posted Jun 24, 2021, 2:28 PM

To me it makes no sense to keep it. It has questionable historical value given the many alterations over the years, it’s renovation costs are far higher than its replacement cost, and it is far to large for a residence that is rarely used for any official functions. They should build 4-5k square foot private residence for the PM, and outbuilding for the security and support staff and some sort of a pavilion with a commercial kitchen, washrooms, etc. to support the garden parties (the only actual functions that occur at 24 Sussex.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2021, 5:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradnixon View Post

I agree, too many problems with the current building. It's become a national embarrassment.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2021, 7:59 PM

it certainly seems that tear it down and start over would be cheaper.

my question is if we'll get a result we can be proud of or if it will look like a cookie-cutter modern home.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2021, 8:12 PM

If they could salvage some heritage features and stone (though the low quality stone might prevent that) and design a new building that's inspired by the original and 50s version, it could strike a good balance.

I usually wouldn't point to Hotel Chez Henri (now Boston Pizza in Vieux Hull) as a good example, but in this case...

Old Posted Jun 28, 2021, 8:55 PM

maybe sometime soon there will be an 'accidental' fire...

Old Posted Jun 29, 2021, 1:44 AM

Definitely another case of ‘Demolition by Neglect’ by a government. I wonder how many of the bureaucrats that were in charge of these residences allowed their own homes to fall into such disrepair.

I am all for saving old things, as long as there is value left in them. These residences are, it seems, beyond that – just like the Alexandra Bridge was found to be. I originally was in the ‘Save It’ camp for these residences, but not at any cost – and $175M for 9 buildings is outrageous. Take $10M and build a descent house for the Prime Minister at 24 Sussex. The ‘cottages’ on the grounds of Rideau Hall should be replaced if they can not be repaired at a reasonable cost. (The NCC could sponsor a nation-wide poll if they can’t figure out what ‘reasonable’ is on their own. That will tell them what these buildings are really worth to the people of this country.)

As for the style of a new house for the Prime Minister: This should be a national competition. I have ZERO faith that a new building could be inspired by, and pay homage to, the original building. We would wind up with another Chateau Laurier Addition disaster.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2021, 2:40 AM
Elle est déjà vide!

NO

Do NOT demolish 24 Sussex, ever. That should be considered sacrilegious. Restore it, fix it, and make it look like it was pre-1949 (when they uglified it in the name of bullshit modernity).
Return the proper architectural ornamentation to this mansion. Treat it with the dignity and respect it deserves. Have some sense of historical continuity. NO to a new building.

Nothing else is appropriate.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2021, 5:04 AM

^

That would essentially involve building a replica Victorian house. That might make sense if it were being opened as a museum, but would be of little value for a residence.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa