HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Oct 24, 2021, 1:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nito View Post
It could be construed as disingenuous to bring up the GGH in the conversation around city construction, when the GGH covers a very large area (20x that of London) covering areas with very little infrastructure or connective interaction to Toronto. There is little to dispute about the growth of Toronto and other parts of Canada, but it is far from alone in experiencing strong growth.

More important to the conversation is how much new or poorly allocated new housing is being delivered relative to population growth in cities.
Yeah, although the Toronto is CMA is too small (Oshawa is definitely part of the metro area), the GGH is too big. There might be a few commuters taking the GO Train to Downtown Toronto from Kitchener, but it's a drop in the bucket. The overwhelming majority of Waterloo Region residents do not cross the Niagara Escarpment during their commutes. You can make a case for including Hamilton in the Metro area but most Hamilton residents commute to Burlington, and to a lesser extent Oakville and Mississauga. Those are legit Toronto suburbs, so I suppose it's ok to include it in the metro area, but still rather few commute to Toronto proper. So I would lean towards including it, but it's not a definite yes. Similarly, Barrie residents mostly seem to commute to northern suburbs of Toronto. Niagara Region residents mostly work within Niagara Region, with a few commuting to Hamilton, but numbers going into the GTA are minimal. Guelph and Peterborough are major employment centers too, most of their residents work there rather than commuting to other parts of the GGH.

It's fine to view the GGH as a Toronto-centric cultural and economic region. Kind of like SoCal, or a lot of American CSAs, but I wouldn't consider that to be an accurate reflection of the metropolitan area.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2022, 9:52 PM

Who is building the most in North America, per data from SkyscraperPage.com

Database search for each city by construction only.

Toronto - 222 buildings
New York - 44 buildings (lol, woefully undercounted)
Miami
- 11 buildings...
Chicago - 5 buildings...

Okay... I thought this would be a good idea but no. lol Toronto certainly does keep its information current and up-to-date for the most part.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2022, 10:53 PM
Selfie-stick vendor

Hmm according to emporis over 300 building u/c in New York

Old Posted Apr 11, 2022, 3:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. View Post
Who is building the most in North America, per data from SkyscraperPage.com

Database search for each city by construction only.

Toronto - 222 buildings
New York - 44 buildings (lol, woefully undercounted)
Miami
- 11 buildings...
Chicago - 5 buildings...

Okay... I thought this would be a good idea but no. lol Toronto certainly does keep its information current and up-to-date for the most part.
Is this buildings over a certain Hight? because if its just "buildings" then everyone would be at 50+ if its high rises or at least mid rises and above the count still seems way off. Phoenix has 5+ midrise itself under construction right now with some just finished and more coming. Im sure Chicago does has much more.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2022, 4:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Is this buildings over a certain Hight? because if its just "buildings" then everyone would be at 50+ if its high rises or at least mid rises and above the count still seems way off. Phoenix has 5+ midrise itself under construction right now with some just finished and more coming. Im sure Chicago does has much more.
I believe Chicago buildings only get their own thread if they're over 500' / ~150m. Everything else is compiled into one highrise thread.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2022, 7:28 PM

That's ridiculous. We probably have more than 44 12 story+ buildings under construction right now in Queens, heck even maybe Flushing alone.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2022, 8:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdawg View Post
That's ridiculous. We probably have more than 44 12 story+ buildings under construction right now in Queens, heck even maybe Flushing alone.
Yeah, lol. I wouldn't be surprised if the numbers for the entire city are in the high 100s or more.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2022, 9:35 PM
Aimless Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdawg View Post
I just cruised around Flushing on Google streetview and flew over the area with the 3D map view and that doesn't seem to be the case at all. There were a few buildings under construction, but none of them were more than a floor or two above ground level at the time.

I certainly didn't see hundreds of tall towers (let's say 300 ft+) under construction throughout the rest of the city, either. Of course there are some very noticeable supertalls or near supertalls U/C, those are hard to miss!

It's easy to just say things like "there are probably X number of buildings under construction", but that doesn't alway turn out to be close to reality once you actually go out and look around.

I think Toronto currently has more hi-rises (and skyscrapers) U/C than NYC, it's on New Yorkers to go out and count building sites to prove me wrong.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2022, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by softee View Post
I think Toronto currently has more hi-rises (and skyscrapers) U/C than NYC, it's on New Yorkers to go out and count building sites to prove me wrong.
I'm almost certain this is incorrect, by any measure. Toronto, no doubt has a much higher share of construction activity relative to size, but no way does Toronto have more u/c.

Granted, Toronto is a different beast, in that so much of the construction activity is in random suburban nodes. There's a collection of giant towers next to an Ikea right off a freeway. That would never happen in the U.S. But I still don't think Toronto would have greater activity at any highrise or multifamily cutoff.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2022, 11:20 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Guys we are overthinking this. It's from the SSP database. Has to get updated.

Go with Emporis or CTBUH figures. Tend to be more recent until SSP database catches up...

Those NYC figures are so low that it made me immunocompromised.

A better way to look at the 44 figure is to think of it like dog years. That will be more to the reality, especially if we are talking within the 10-12 floor category, which will vary a lot and often undercounted.

The Emporis figure of 315 is closer to reality, which proves that the dog year methodology is closer to reality. When in doubt, think of dog years for current NYC construction figures.

I mean for the love of sweet baby racks Jesus, there are more than 44 towers alone over 22 floors u/c. And keep in mind because something has 19 or 20 floors, doesn't mean its short. Ceiling heights alone can make a 20 floor tower a lot taller or larger than it looks on paper.

Also that Miami figure is woefully wrong.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2022, 2:07 PM

Someone was triggered enough to do a Google Maps flyover of Flushing? Anyway ... NYYimby does a pretty good job of researching and compiling data from the DOB and his 2022 construction report includes this: "In all, Brooklyn tallies 43 ten-story-plus filings. So that's 43 buildings of 10 stories + going up in Brooklyn alone." These are just approved permits for construction that began in 2021, not those that were either already under construction or approved in 2022.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2022, 4:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
Those NYC figures are so low that it made me immunocompromised.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2022, 7:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by softee View Post

Old Posted Apr 12, 2022, 11:42 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Miami is building a ton. Recently posted this in the Miami compilation.

Note just a smaller area. Pound for pound... Miami is on fire! 2022 will see a ton of projects starting up as well.

==================

Quote:
The under-construction projects that are visible in the photos below include:

Wynwood Green – 189 apartments
Wynwood 29 – 248 apartments
Quarters – 63 apartments
Wynwood 27/28 -152 apartments
AMLI Wynwood – 316 apartments
Urban22 – 441 apartments
Arlo – 217 hotel rooms
Society Wynwood – 318 apartments
Moxy Wynwood – 120 hotel units
The Dorsey – 306 apartments
Wynwood Haus – 224 apartments
The total combined apartment and hotel unit count is 2,531.

Credit: NXT

Old Posted Apr 13, 2022, 12:00 AM

As much as NYC is building, I don't think it's near enough for the size of the city

Old Posted Apr 13, 2022, 12:23 AM

I don't know about there being 44 high-rises U/C in Flushing, but the New York numbers are always grossly underrepresented on SSP since it's been years since active forumers were actively cataloguing construction activity in the city.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2022, 12:30 AM

One thing that's odd about the GTA is that the fancy areas often have the least construction, and the less desirable areas often have the most "luxury condos". Probably trans-national differences in zoning and regulatory framework.

For example, Yonge north of the 401 is kinda dumpy. But there's an orgy of gigantic towers everywhere, topped only by downtown Toronto. And most look pretty expensive and upscale. Yonge south of the 401 is very affluent, but looks basically the same as 25 years ago, when I was visiting nearby relatives as a kid. There are numerous SFH teardowns, but the essential character is the same. North York looks like some alien spacecraft touched down.

If Toronto were in the U.S., Yonge north of the 401 would still be dumpy strip malls and worn bungalows, and any construction would be concentrated to the south. Toronto's growth is much more efficient, but it's hard to understand.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2022, 12:35 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

If anybody is an Emporis research member... maybe share some data?

Emporis on a side note is pretty damn good. They have some very under the radar projects listed for NYC. Like I'm talking very under the radar, even if some are say 12-15 floors.

The Emporis figures are your best bet. Even more so than the CTBUH for a better u/c status gauge.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2022, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
One thing that's odd about the GTA is that the fancy areas often have the least construction, and the less desirable areas often have the most "luxury condos". Probably trans-national differences in zoning and regulatory framework.

For example, Yonge north of the 401 is kinda dumpy. But there's an orgy of gigantic towers everywhere, topped only by downtown Toronto. And most look pretty expensive and upscale. Yonge south of the 401 is very affluent, but looks basically the same as 25 years ago, when I was visiting nearby relatives as a kid. There are numerous SFH teardowns, but the essential character is the same. North York looks like some alien spacecraft touched down.

If Toronto were in the U.S., Yonge north of the 401 would still be dumpy strip malls and worn bungalows, and any construction would be concentrated to the south. Toronto's growth is much more efficient, but it's hard to understand.
It's not hard to understand, it's all down to zoning. North York City Centre is zones for high density and the area south to North Toronto is not.
The affluent areas have the strongest Nimbies so nothing gets built in those areas and vice versa.
Zoning was created a hundred years ago for this exact reason so rich people could tell everyone else what they can and can't build.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2022, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post

The established SFH home neighbourhoods are nearly impossible to upzone. Good luck going up against Lawrence Park, Rosedale, Forest Hill, etc. trying to develop a 40 story condo between Davenport and the 401, with the obvious exception of established high-density nodes like Yonge and Eglinton.

There are some cultural differences for sure, but I don't see wealthy Canadians or Americans varying drastically in their desire to keep high-density development away from their neighbourhoods. I think the primary difference is that the wealthy Torontonians never fled to the suburbs en mass. As such their protectionism creates a much more stark visual contrast with swaths of low-rise, undevelopable areas so close to the core. In many U.S. cities, you could build pretty continuously outwards from the core without running into such large areas of wealthy homeowners opposing you.

In terms of North York, I wouldn't say the condos are typically that high end. The area was also designated for high density development before the surrounding neighbourhoods became as pricey as they are today. In addition, the area tends to attract more East Asian immigrants who obviously are culturally familiar with high-rise living.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions