HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction

1000M in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Feb 7, 2023, 10:36 PM
Chicago

January 31, 2023

Old Posted Feb 8, 2023, 3:16 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

Helmut Jahn will certainly be missed. This is a very appropriate, highly visible swan song.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Feb 8, 2023, 3:39 PM

The spandrels on the tower portion are a little bland and underwhelming. IIRC the original design carried over the textured panels from the base.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2023, 9:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r18tdi View Post
The spandrels on the tower portion are a little bland and underwhelming. IIRC the original design carried over the textured panels from the base.
I think the very earliest renderings had those panels but they disappeared long before the building was converted to all apartments. Probably an early cost cutting measure.

Also, what hasn't shown up in a rendering yet but I am really interested to see as it develops is the sloping diagonal glass on the two ends appears that it will not have the metal spandrel panels. On that first completed floor I am seeing full height glass with an white back pan that slopes down away from the glass.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2023, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuliusDoaner View Post
this building is far from an architectural masterpiece, but it's good to see 1.) a vacant lot bite the dust on Michigan Ave 2.) more height to the south loop area
Booo! I find your critique quite disagreeable. The term "masterpiece" is debatable, of course, but this building is turning out quite well. And when finished this will be even more impressive than it already is. The amount of material expended on this one is considerable. The shape and execution is well above average.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2023, 1:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned.B View Post
Also, what hasn't shown up in a rendering yet but I am really interested to see as it develops is the sloping diagonal glass on the two ends appears that it will not have the metal spandrel panels. On that first completed floor I am seeing full height glass with an white back pan that slopes down away from the glass.
Good catch! Eager to see how that turns out as well.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2023, 1:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhawk66 View Post
Booo! I find your critique quite disagreeable. The term "masterpiece" is debatable, of course, but this building is turning out quite well. And when finished this will be even more impressive than it already is. The amount of material expended on this one is considerable. The shape and execution is well above average.
I agree.. i mean masterpiece?...since when in the last lets says 30 years has there been a "master piece" residential tower built in this city?...This in my opinion asthetically looks like one of the if not a top quality residential skyscraper this city has seen in awhile.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2023, 1:38 AM
Show me the blueprints

Hello!?!? Grand Plaza???

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Feb 9, 2023, 2:45 PM

I don't know, I'd call Aqua an architectural masterpiece myself.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2023, 3:06 PM

May I add st. Regis without the bands

Old Posted Feb 9, 2023, 3:45 PM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganChi View Post

May I add st. Regis without the bands
I think Aqua is interesting. I wouldn't call it a "masterpiece".
4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo

Old Posted Feb 9, 2023, 4:02 PM

I think the Legacy--while not flashy--is very elegant and a unique balance of contextual appropriateness and sculptural modernity. 1000M seems like a nice building, but I think its charms are probably more technical-quirky than aesthetic. I think it would have the wow factor if the fan effect was much less subtle.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2023, 4:05 PM

This is actually one of the more exciting construction sites to watch. . . I see it every day from Randolph Street in the morning on my way out the door. . . I can't put my finger on what's going on between the base and tower, but - while not a perfect, logical ascension - is looking better and better as it goes up. . .

. . .

Old Posted Feb 9, 2023, 5:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klippenstein View Post
Looks like it's now 9 floors becoming progressively longer and then 2 amenity floors and then starts the part of the building where the NE and SW corners very slowly start expanding until the top. I think this subtle change is going to really impact the appearance of the tower and make it much more visually striking than a plain glass box.

You can see more detailed plans here.

This illustration shows how the angled glass will be a different effect.

I initially thought this building was just going to be odd looking, but it is now looking much better than I thought it would be.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2023, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuliusDoaner View Post
Aqua is a beautiful building. It's not all residential, but the St. Regis (aside from the blow room at the top) is architecturally striking and unique.

Oh, One Bennett Park! That's a masterpiece, beautiful building. Art Deco is timeless.
Art Deco IS timeless. One Bennett Park however is not Art Deco and the facade with random chunks of "bronze" and odd stripes of floor to ceiling windows is not timeless imo.

As for 1000m. I think it's great but far from a Masterpiece. The podium and the tower don't feel like they belong together. I wish Jahn would have done rounded corners on the podium something more like he did with this tower's younger sibling 50 West in NYC.

https://dacompanies.com/images/767_w...st-04-3425.jpg

Last edited by Tom In Chicago; Feb 10, 2023 at 3:03 PM. Reason: do NOT use off topic unsourced images. . . use hyperlinks instead

Old Posted Feb 10, 2023, 11:12 PM

50 West in Manhattan does seem to have been a precursor, but the rounded corners at the base of that building make it look as if it is being squeezed into a space where it

shouldn't be. The fact that this building draws a clear distinction between what is essentially a podium and a much larger tower - which seems like it is going to soar upward

above - indicates, to me, that Jahn and Co. learned a good deal since 50 West and (lucky for Chicago) there is that old adage about "location, location, location" where this exclamation

point of a sculpture/building is located - front and center. 50 West ends up like filler in Manhattan while the the greater physical presence, the finesse of of the lines, and the location of

this building may (I hope) be the most subtle and dramatic of Jahn's oeuvre.

It is funny to me that this building is almost un-Jahn-like because it is exhibiting, to me, a delicacy of touch in the design of the main tower which has evolved out of

his excursions through post-modernistic flamboyant showmanship.

I admit I've always been drawn to his cleverness, but much of the previous work also felt like caricature. This may be both culmination and epitome of his talent and, if so, I'll be glad

it landed in Chicago.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2023, 9:16 PM

I wanted to test the new camera.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2023, 9:31 PM

Awesome shots, BVic. I was out for a run on Sunday at this exact spot and chastised myself for not bringing my phone. When finished, it's going to look awesome from Adler.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2023, 10:20 PM
Rust Belt Motherland

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
I wanted to test the new camera.

Amazing skyline shot. I love the impact of this building. It adds a lot of gravity to the South end of the skyline. The gradual expansion of the corners is starting to be noticeable from distance. I wonder if it will be perceptible when viewing it in the skyline. Perhaps slightly at full height.

Last edited by Klippenstein; Feb 13, 2023 at 10:24 PM. Reason: My comment started a new page so I wanted to quote BVic’s amazing pics

Old Posted Feb 20, 2023, 1:09 AM

I know it's been discussed before but has anyone heard any clarification if they are keeping the bottom of the south end raw or covering it up?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction